vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
Yeah but the previous regime also did these moves:
- Drafted Sheppard, Elo, Boogaard, Kassian
- Signed Brunette, Nolan, Hill
- Traded for Simon
- Todd Fedoruk
Sheppard was the 2nd fastest skater in one QMJHL competition. I don't know where his skating went, but it was there when he was drafted. And you do know that Simon, Kassian, and Fedoruk are/were good skaters for their tough guy status, right? Anyway, that's besides the point talking about grinders. Every team has a few slower slugs filling the lines. Overall team speed was high during most of the DR years. Fletcher hasn't gone that direction, and it's my biggest concern with him. Chicago won because of speed.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 01:31 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Personally I am tired of the good skater but can't hit the broad side of the barn type of player.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 01:58 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Sheppard was the 2nd fastest skater in one QMJHL competition. I don't know where his skating went, but it was there when he was drafted. And you do know that Simon, Kassian, and Fedoruk are/were good skaters for their tough guy status, right? Anyway, that's besides the point talking about grinders. Every team has a few slower slugs filling the lines. Overall team speed was high during most of the DR years. Fletcher hasn't gone that direction, and it's my biggest concern with him. Chicago won because of speed.
I believe you are putting too much emphasis on the skating. When it comes down to it, you want a player that can contribute offensively or/and defensively. Skating helps a player do that, but if they are good skaters (Pouliot) but can't contribute, better to trade him for one who can, but not as a good of skater (Latendresse)

Just for tough guy status means nothing. There are tons of NHL players that can play the tough guy status but can skate like a normal NHLer, not just for an NHL enforcer

During DR years, we did have good skaters. Correct. But during the DR years, we saw either no playoffs or easy 1st round eliminations (besides one year which was really lucky). I rather not relive those years...

Like mentioned earlier, its about players who can contribute. And GMCF has been doing that. He turned the Pouliot situation into gold. He moved an upcoming UFA into a 2nd (Belanger) and has turned an under-exciting prospect (Leddy) and an upcoming UFA who wasn't going to re-sign (Johnsson) into a young dman that has scored 40 points before (Barker)

And look at the end of this season. We are losing most of our slowest skaters in Hnidy, Scott, Boogaard, Nolan and replacing with decent skaters in Brodziak, Staubitz, Wellman etc etc.

EDIT: While the transition is slow, I'm sure you will find the future Wild team a good skating team. As seen above, we are losing alot of our slow skaters and replacing them with decent ones. Also, this will be our first draft, and we shall see what our draft philosophy will look like

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Personally I am tired of the good skater but can't hit the broad side of the barn type of player.
Ya mean these guys?

As long as they provide something else, I'm okay with them.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 03:43 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Yes and we all saw how Veilleux became a huge scape goat along with Dupuis because they couldn't 'score'.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 07:16 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Although I disagree with alot of what SoH says, I'll agree with him in that we cannot trade for just any player. Even a 2nd line player upside will not suffice. We need to trade our 9th + for a 22-23 yr old player that can play for us and that has that 1st line upside. I'm not talking top player in the league upside but a 1st line upside. Otherwise, I rather stick with the pick
Either trade it for some team's hot young prospect with top line potential, or trade down. I like the idea of trading down and going after Bjugstad.

Of course, you need takers before any trade can be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Yes and we all saw how Veilleux became a huge scape goat along with Dupuis because they couldn't 'score'.
I remember many on the Wild.com boards saying if Dupuis wasn't with the Wild, he wouldn't even be in the NHL... yet now he has a cup ring. Go figure...

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 07:24 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Chicago won because of speed.
Really? That's the only reason?

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 08:46 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Either trade it for some team's hot young prospect with top line potential, or trade down. I like the idea of trading down and going after Bjugstad.

Of course, you need takers before any trade can be made.

I remember many on the Wild.com boards saying if Dupuis wasn't with the Wild, he wouldn't even be in the NHL... yet now he has a cup ring. Go figure...
Veullieux still sucks. He's like a bad version of Rolston. Yeah, he puts in some goals from time to time, but his turnovers/bad decisions/missed shots kill more scoring chances than he created.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:10 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Veullieux still sucks. He's like a bad version of Rolston. Yeah, he puts in some goals from time to time, but his turnovers/bad decisions/missed shots kill more scoring chances than he created.
Rolston is a bad version of Rolston. Veilleux ?
He was ineffectual, but he wasn't a liability.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:39 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Rolston is a bad version of Rolston. Veilleux ?
He was ineffectual, but he wasn't a liability.

So true.

Old
06-26-2010, 11:29 AM
nickschultzfan

At this point in time, would people really be upset if we just signed Jokinen and Saku Koivu to short-term deals and then just see what happens next season? Fletcher doesn't have many options.

Saku would look good with Lats and Havlat. Jokinen with Bouchard and Kobasew. Clutterbuck, Brodziak and whoever on the 4th line.

That would give us plenty of cap space going into two seasons from now.

Old
06-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
At this point in time, would people really be upset if we just signed Jokinen and Saku Koivu to short-term deals and then just see what happens next season? Fletcher doesn't have many options.

Saku would look good with Lats and Havlat. Jokinen with Bouchard and Kobasew. Clutterbuck, Brodziak and whoever on the 4th line.

That would give us plenty of cap space going into two seasons from now.
Saku won't come. He already expressed his views about coming to Minnesota.

Jokinen would probably cost a bit and I rather not, but if he comes at a fair value, I wouldn't be too against it

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:44 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Saku won't come. He already expressed his views about coming to Minnesota.

Jokinen would probably cost a bit and I rather not, but if he comes at a fair value, I wouldn't be too against it
Yeah, but if Teemu retires, where Saku in going to go? Is he going to stay in Anaheim.

Last year, only Anaheim and the Wild were interested in him. He can't go back to Montreal, because they don't need him and are looking for bigger forwards.

Depends on how many more years he wants in the NHL and whether he plans on going back to Finland. He could play another 5-10 years in the SM-Liiga if he wanted to.