HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Epoxy resin for composite sticks?

Old
06-18-2010, 08:00 AM
pnewsom

vCash: 500
Epoxy resin for composite sticks?

I have a composite Bauer stick (185 Gagne pattern) that I couldn't make the lie(6) work for me.

I have removed some material from the bottom of the blade to give a more of a 5.5 lie, but need to cover where the some of the mesh has shown through.

Would Epoxy glue work, or perhaps fiberglass resin?

I took the shape from an Iginla stick, so I think I'll call the resultant mutation an Iguana.

Thanks for any help.

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:34 AM
stick9

YIKES!

If those are your two choices, I'd go fiberglass resin and tape the crap out of it.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:09 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
I use epoxy to fix cracked blades all the time. I was told by some of the guys at the ring about this. As well they recommend putting electrical tape on the bottom edge of the blade before you tape it with hockey tape to help keep the blade dry if it dose crack.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:47 AM
pnewsom

Thanks adaminnj,

I thought epoxy might be the way to go. I just want to seal the centre area and built it up just a bit to protect it.

Is there any particular variety of epoxy that you use, or just the basic '2tube' variety?

Old
06-18-2010, 05:54 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewsom View Post
Thanks adaminnj,

I thought epoxy might be the way to go. I just want to seal the centre area and built it up just a bit to protect it.

Is there any particular variety of epoxy that you use, or just the basic '2tube' variety?
I use the dollar store cheep 2 part epoxy that comes in a double syringe looking thing, and I have never had and issue with the bond, strength, or flexibility.

The biggest issue is working fast so it doesn't get clumpy before you are done applying it.

Old
06-18-2010, 07:22 PM
vinogradov8

Send a message via MSN to vinogradov8
What is your problem? Ruining a perfectly good stick! You could of just tried it, then broke it on purpose and sent it back because of the 30 day warranty.... Thats what I would do! Or just get over it and use 6 lie.

vinogradov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:08 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinogradov8 View Post
What is your problem? Ruining a perfectly good stick! You could of just tried it, then broke it on purpose and sent it back because of the 30 day warranty.... Thats what I would do! Or just get over it and use 6 lie.
some people are more creative than others I guess?

Old
06-18-2010, 10:34 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Yeah, because companies love being scammed

You realize the warranty is the reason sticks are so expensive, right? 9 out of 10 times, idiots like you send sticks back that weren't true manufacturer's defects.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:12 PM
vinogradov8

Send a message via MSN to vinogradov8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post

You realize the warranty is the reason sticks are so expensive, right? 9 out of 10 times, idiots like you send sticks back that weren't true manufacturer's defects.
Did I say I have ever done it, no? So before you throw out insults, you idiot, re-read my statement. I said thats what I would do, but I pick the right lie everytime.... also, the first thing I would do is send it back to hockey giant to get a new one period.

vinogradov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:41 AM
pnewsom

Quote:
First of all, only time will tell if I have ruined the stick, but I don't think I have.

Second, I have owned this stick for about a year, shortened it, and tried to make it work, but it doesn't suit me. It's also knarled and ugly at this point, so selling wasn't going to bring in much.

Third, I don't believe in cheating... even hockey stick companies. Bad Karma baby!

I've been looking for a replacement stick lately, and it just occurred to me to reshape the heel a bit. My alternatives were to let it gather dust, give it away, or cut off the the blade and make a two piece out of it. These options are still open to me, so what have I lost?

BTW, I put a coat of epoxy on it last night, so far so good. I'll put on another this morning. I have found that using a strip of electrical tape folded over the blade makes for a nice smooth finish.

The experiment continues.

Old
06-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post

The reason sticks are so expensive has alot less to do with warranty and alot more to do with what people will pay for them. These companies make a ridiculous amount of money on sticks because people will pay that much for the "next best thing"

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
The reason sticks are so expensive has alot less to do with warranty and alot more to do with what people will pay for them. These companies make a ridiculous amount of money on sticks because people will pay that much for the "next best thing"
Untrue. Anyone who has ever ordered a lot of pro stock or pro option sticks from a manufacturer knows that you're paying about 100 or 110 or so per stick for sticks that have a retail, warrantied counterpart that sells for 180 to 200 on online retailers. The difference is the warranty.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Hrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
Untrue. Anyone who has ever ordered a lot of pro stock or pro option sticks from a manufacturer knows that you're paying about 100 or 110 or so per stick for sticks that have a retail, warrantied counterpart that sells for 180 to 200 on online retailers. The difference is the warranty.
Plus, the reason for going pro stock is because 2 sticks with no warranty = 1 stick with warranty price wise.

Plus, that warranty is only good for 30 days, and after that...It's just one stick vs. two sticks, which is simple math.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote