HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[MTL/STL] Halak traded to St. Louis for Lars Eller & Ian Schultz

Old
06-18-2010, 06:01 AM
ReVeuF

vCash: 500

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
Wow, some drama.

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Eller has a lot about him that makes one think he's gonna be a good one.

If he turns out to be 75% the player he can be, this deal is a homerun win for the Habs.

May not be the case this upcoming season, but it will be at some juncture in the next couple of seasons.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:20 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Not unexpected coming from Péladeau and Quebecor

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:29 AM
jcbio11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
There had to be negotiation difficulties with Halak. Only way this would make sense to me.
According to Halak's agent, since the end of the season no one contacted them.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Garo

Quote:
Wait.

Nurses in pajamas?!?

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:40 AM
Qvist

A lot will depend on how Halak's further career goes. As of now, he's a goalie who's only just etsablishing himself as a starter, with one hot playoff under his belt. He could have ten years as a quality starter ahead of him, or he could fizzle back into perennial backup status. Neither would be shocking.

But Eller is a pretty good return - the equivalent a fairly high 1RP. That's what guys like Cammalleri and Tanguay (when he was still a 1st line winger) fetches. I don't see that Halak should command much more than that, particularly with an unpredictable arbitration case potentially coming up.

The question is more whether they should have traded him at all. Then again, trading Carey Price isn't a salivating thought either.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Wait.

Nurses in pajamas?!?
What if they are of the male type

That is some serious dramatization.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:48 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Black View Post
I don't think the Habs fans should be too upset. Price is not awful. In fact, he's quite good. Give him a chance.
This is why I'm glad I'm in Winnipeg sometimes and a Hab fan. I can say I believe in Price without getting killed in the streets.

While I am sad Halak is gone, I'm still proud of the Habs this season and hopefully this can show the Canadiens faith in Price and he can have a veteran backup to help him regain focus.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
What if they are of the male type

That is some serious dramatization.
Males aren't "infirmières"

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
This is why I'm glad I'm in Winnipeg sometimes and a Hab fan. I can say I believe in Price without getting killed in the streets.

While I am sad Halak is gone, I'm still proud of the Habs this season and hopefully this can show the Canadiens faith in Price and he can have a veteran backup to help him regain focus.
Word. I tell my friends that all the time, what do they know anyways. To the hockey world, Halak is the goalie to keep because they are, in essence, bandwagoners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Males aren't "infirmières"
Oh touché, mon cousin.

Old
06-18-2010, 07:53 AM
jcbio11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist View Post
A lot will depend on how Halak's further career goes. As of now, he's a goalie who's only just etsablishing himself as a starter, with one hot playoff under his belt. He could have ten years as a quality starter ahead of him, or he could fizzle back into perennial backup status. Neither would be shocking.

But Eller is a pretty good return - the equivalent a fairly high 1RP. That's what guys like Cammalleri and Tanguay (when he was still a 1st line winger) fetches. I don't see that Halak should command much more than that, particularly with an unpredictable arbitration case potentially coming up.

The question is more whether they should have traded him at all. Then again, trading Carey Price isn't a salivating thought either.
He was never a perrenial backup. He just wasn't given a chance by the management until the second half of this season, when they could no longer ignore that he's been outplaying Price for years.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
He was never a perrenial backup. He just wasn't given a chance by the management until the second half of this season, when they could no longer ignore that he's been outplaying Price for years.
Um no, in fact it was even Price who stole his Hamilton job to win the Calder. Halak was a career backup until last year.

Old
06-18-2010, 08:02 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Only Le Journal de Montreal would write such fisrt page.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:04 AM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
There had to be negotiation difficulties with Halak. Only way this would make sense to me.
Nope, his agent said the Habs never reached out to Halak to talk about a contact. So it had nothing to do with Halak asking for crazy money since he never got the chance.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 917
Montreal surely researched market comparables to what it would cost to re-sign Halak, and simply decided not to engage in discussions with him and his agent. They chose to go a differing route and dealt a goal-tending asset when his value was at its highest.

For those of you claiming Montreal chose to go with the wrong goalie, FYI, Price has MORE WINS over his career, and is also younger.

While Halak may have indeed played well during his playoff run, FYI, Montreal's defense also blocked a massive amount of shots during those series; they made him look perhaps a bit better than he actually was.

Montreal's problem was that they were too small at forward; with Eller in the lineup (& Schultz), they just got bigger. Nothing wrong with that.

Eller is a good prospect, and Schultz is a good potential energy guy.

I'm a fan of neither team. In my opinion, this trade is a wash when one considers the amount of FA goalies available. Montreal got good value; they weren't hosed as some here have claimed, Revisit the trade in five years and then pass judgment.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Habitants

..and what if Halak is the next andrew raycroft?

i will admit he was great down the stretch, but he has never played a full season. there is no guarantee that he is as everyone seems to claim 'the best goalie in the NHL last season'

besides halak agent is an ass, i look forward to see what kind of deal that he will sign in STL.

imo Habs made a good deal, Lars Eller could play on the second line next season, and dare i say that Schultz is a poor man's Backes

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
..and what if Halak is the next andrew raycroft?

i will admit he was great down the stretch, but he has never played a full season. there is no guarantee that he is as everyone seems to claim 'the best goalie in the NHL last season'

besides halak agent is an ass, i look forward to see what kind of deal that he will sign in STL.

imo Habs made a good deal, Lars Eller could play on the second line next season, and dare i say that Schultz is a poor man's Backes
If Schultz is a poor man's Backes the Habs already won this trade.

Old
06-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Um no, in fact it was even Price who stole his Hamilton job to win the Calder. Halak was a career backup until last year.
Well, um no... Price was again handed the spot in Hamilton whilst the team opted to let Halak go to the WC instead. 2008-09, Halak outplayed Price during that second-half meltdown, but Gainey was more dedicated to giving Price the chance to redeem himself than the team was this year... this year, they actually let Halak run with the ball when he showed - again - that he deserved to.

"Halak was a backup until last year" might be fair to say, although not indicative of his play relative to the starter. But you can't slip the word "career" in there for a young goalie coming into the league! Is Carey Price a "career backup" because he backup up Halak last year? No.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:22 AM
CJV123

This finally cuts my last ties with my boyhood team. The Canadian fans who continue to view players thru a jingoist prism can all go blank themselves. The NHL isn't international competition, or a diving poster boy, where being Canadian can by itself influence the outcome. In the NHL, for goaltenders, it's only talent that matters, and Halak pwns Price.

CJV123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:25 AM
DDIHH

Quote:
Nurses should be more aggressive and protest in leather leotard or latex uniforms!

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, um no... Price was again handed the spot in Hamilton whilst the team opted to let Halak go to the WC instead. 2008-09, Halak outplayed Price during that second-half meltdown, but Gainey was more dedicated to giving Price the chance to redeem himself than the team was this year... this year, they actually let Halak run with the ball when he showed - again - that he deserved to.

"Halak was a backup until last year" might be fair to say, although not indicative of his play relative to the starter. But you can't slip the word "career" in there for a young goalie coming into the league! Is Carey Price a "career backup" because he backup up Halak last year? No.
How was he "handed" the job when Halak opted to go to the WC? The fact of the matter is that Price came in for Halak, and won the Cup after playing for Tri-City and winning every goaltending award possible in his final year. Halak was showing flashes at the time, posting an amazing sv% and GAA in the AHL, but he was still a 9th round pick at the time so the decision made a lot of sense. Couple that with the year he had afterwards and the return we got for Huet (and now Halak), mad props to Gainey and now, to Pierre Gauthier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJV123 View Post
This finally cuts my last ties with my boyhood team. The Canadian fans who continue to view players thru a jingoist prism can all go blank themselves. The NHL isn't international competition, or a diving poster boy, where being Canadian can by itself influence the outcome. In the NHL, for goaltenders, it's only talent that matters, and Halak pwns Price.
Yea ok buddy, screw you and your poor talent analysys

Old
06-18-2010, 08:26 AM
BackesInBlue

MTL received good value for Halak. As a Blues fan I had to wake up this morning and run to the computer to confirm this wasn't a dream though because although I appreciate what Mase brought to the organization, a netminder like Halak seemed to always be a wet dream for them to pick up.

So needless to say I'm excited about this deal. That said, I'm very sad to see Eller go because he's not just a skill guy but a good character one too and will bring a lot to the Habs that they very much need. It's a good deal all around imho. Both teams improved themselves and their situation with this.

Take heart Habs fans, Blues media and fans have no need to 'overhype' Eller as he's not ours anymore and we'd LOVE to be bragging about a total steal of a trade but that isn't happening anywhere in STL circles. consensus seems that the fanbase is re-energized by this trade bc...it's freaking Halak man! A REAL top-notch netminder! Blues haven't had that since the days of Grant flippin Fuhr!
BUT...no one is really claiming this a MAJOR steal bc we all value Eller supremely high even now that he's gone.
(Now, you could make the argument that the Habs kept the wrong guy which I'd have a hard time arguing with you about...but that's a different story)

On a sidenote now that the Habs have my two fav Blues prospects in Pulushaj and Eller I'm going to be following them a lot closer than I did previously.

BackesInBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Adam Larsson

Eller is gonna be a solid player, but I thought Price would be the one traded. This is one of those trades where you gotta wait and see how everything works out.

Adam Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJV123 View Post
Who said anything about nationality, aside from you?

Price has more wins over his career, FYI. He is also younger.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote