HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[MTL/STL] Halak traded to St. Louis for Lars Eller & Ian Schultz

Old
06-18-2010, 11:18 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

vCash: 500
Still waiting for the first expert to show up and tell us Montreal won this trade because Halak was a 9th rounder, traded for a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder. On a side note, Boston needs to trade Michael Ryder to St. Louis ASAP....just because.

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:22 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
"Price will rebound next season, so I'm not worried." - Habs fans, June 2009
''We have the best D corp in the league'' Leafs fans in july 2009 after Komisarek and Beauchemin signed with them

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Still waiting for the first expert to show up and tell us Montreal won this trade because Halak was a 9th rounder, traded for a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder. On a side note, Boston needs to trade Michael Ryder to St. Louis ASAP....just because.
If after 700 posts you still haven't figured it out, then you need help. In fact its the question itself that is flawed, no one won the trade, for now, yet both teams had the pieces to make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
''We have the best D corp in the league'' Leafs fans in july 2009 after Komisarek and Beauchemin signed with them
Sick burn.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
You have to get alot more then Eller and Schultz for the most dominating goalie in the NHL last season.

Halak was the sole reason MTL did anything. He was truly amazing and to only get 2 prospects for him is not good enough imo.

I do like Eller and think he will be a top 6 guy, its not enough for Halak.
This is an awesome thread to start out the summer.

That said, if Mont had traded Price instead of Halak for the exact same package, the HF Mont "fans" would be typing the exact same responses into their keyboards, just switch the names Halak for Price and vice versa... Love it.

"What have you done for me lately?" Apparently, Halak didn't do enough...

Without Halak, Mont wouldn't have got out of the 1st round - think of all the extra playoff revenue that the team made because of ONE player... and they moved him less than a month later for prospects. wow.

Yesterday, when I first saw this trade thread in the main board (it was closed and merged here), I thought it was a joke thread; you know, to start the summer.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:32 AM
ocarina

I guess now that I think about it, it isn't shocking that they decided to trade Halak and go with Price. I've always kinda felt Halak didn't get too much respect because management was so high on Price.

But I'm happy for Halak. He has been in Price's shadow despite IMO outplaying him, and now he gets a chance to be a true #1. Over the last few years, I have always gotten the feeling that Montreal was trying to force Price into the NHL instead of letting him develop. We'll see if he can rebound this year, he has faltered twice in consecutive seasons.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:36 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
If after 700 posts you still haven't figured it out, then you need help. In fact its the question itself that is flawed, no one won the trade, for now, yet both teams had the pieces to make it happen.
It was a joke....no one can win a trade until the players who were traded actually play for the team they were traded to. I for one like Eller's game and realize that if Montreal could have gotten more for Halak they would have.

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:37 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post

That said, if Mont had traded Price instead of Halak for the exact same package, the HF Mont "fans" would be typing the exact same responses into their keyboards, just switch the names Halak for Price and vice versa... Love it.

Without Halak, Mont wouldn't have got out of the 1st round - think of all the extra playoff revenue that the team made because of ONE player... and they moved him less than a month later for prospects. wow.

Yesterday, when I first saw this trade thread in the main board (it was closed and merged here), I thought it was a joke thread; you know, to start the summer.
1. Abbreviation of Montreal is MTL
2. Halak was not going to yield a top 5 pick, or a legitimate young top 6 center NHL'er ... no goalie will. Think about it, Blues fans are the 1st to admit that Eller is solid top 6 material and if you read their comments they're sad to see him go. Add to that he's a center, and his value could very well be way above Halak's in a year from now.
3. If Habs had a better team, they would not need goaltending heroics to win... Look at the Flyers/Hawks as an example.... Lars Eller will be a huge step in that direction imo.

Last edited by coolasprICE: 06-18-2010 at 11:43 AM.
coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:43 AM
MIKE GUNDY*

Quote:
TOMapleLaughs is a canucks fan (are you surprised?)

MIKE GUNDY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
Le Journal de Montréal is such a disgrace.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:

we didn't need the playoff revenue we are already 2nd in league revenue behind the leafs but thanks for coming out

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:07 PM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
1. Abbreviation of Montreal is MTL
2. Halak was not going to yield a top 5 pick, or a legitimate young top 6 center NHL'er ... no goalie will. Think about it, Blues fans are the 1st to admit that Eller is solid top 6 material and if you read their comments they're sad to see him go. Add to that he's a center, and his value could very well be way above Halak's in a year from now.
3. If Habs had a better team, they would not need goaltending heroics to win... Look at the Flyers/Hawks as an example.... Lars Eller will be a huge step in that direction imo.
1.The Hawks are stacked on offence and defense. The vast majority of teams including Montreal will never have a team that loaded. Because of one finals you're going to devalue the goaltending position?

2. Yes his value could skyrocket but using the same logic Halak could put up a .935% for the next 5 years while Eller becomes an average 2nd line center. Even if he becomes a #1 how long do you have Gomez for? I guess you can pay your 2nd line center 7.5 mill in a cap based system.

3.Other then the last round the Flyers goaltending had a save% that was close to Halaks.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Do you honestly not realize that they would be different individuals typing those things, that "HF Mont "fans"" are not all one unified hive-mind?

Ditto really for comments about 180s on players, or any other generalizations of Habs fans in all these threads.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Al Secord Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
we didn't need the playoff revenue we are already 2nd in league revenue behind the leafs but thanks for coming out
Totally, eh. I was walking down the street the other day and saw a $50 but didn't bother stopping because I already had lunch money in my pocket.

Al Secord Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
oops! - so the team will be donating the extra $ to charity or something similar?? (and are "you" part of the team? that's so cool!)

So, apparently you agree with everything else I wrote. No, thank you for coming out!

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
2. Halak was not going to yield a top 5 pick,
If you asked me, I'd say Eller was the equivalent of a top-5 pick. Not #1 or #2, since those are the two potential-franchise-player types in this year's draft. But past that, all the other prospects are long odds on being elite players. You might as easily get a depth player as a stud out of the remaining picks. Eller is further along the road, but it will take some smooth sailing for Connolly/Nied/Johansen/etc to emerge where Eller is in a few years.

From the standpoint of the Habs needing a top-6 forward more immediately, and perhaps also benefitting from an additional insurance policy on Plekanec's departure, I'd even go so far as to say that - specifically for the Habs -
Eller > Top-5 pick this year.

(But I still wouldn't have made the trade myself. Same today as before on that score.)

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
oops! - so the team will be donating the extra $ to charity or something similar?? (and are "you" part of the team? that's so cool!)

So, apparently you agree with everything else I wrote. No, thank you for coming out!
no we have to 'donate' 10 million dollars to alleged hockey markets. what's your favorite team anyway? so in essence halak, saved some teams from further financial oblivion. i will agree that the playoff run helped pay for cammy who incidentally, led the playoffs in scoring

Old
06-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
I woke up today and saw this trade.

For Montreal's sake, here's hoping it's not Rask Trade v2.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:17 PM
BackesInBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post
Lars Eller's overratedness just jumped about ten notches...
I think Blues fans have given pretty honest assessments of Eller. We've known for quite a while he was a very good player and pretty much everyone in STL was excited to get to see him play a full season in the 'Note. He's not flashy, he's not glamorous but he's solid and plays a very good overall game. He uses his body well and isn't afraid to go to the dirty places or muck it up and does this while playing a skill game.

Eller was expected to fill a gap that departures of Kariya/Tkachuk created. Expectations like that out of a rookie will tell you how Blues fans at least rate Eller.

For now though, obviously STL comes out ahead in the trade but time will tell the tale. Let's not forget that Schultz was part of this deal (he's pretty decent himself) and that last season the Blues dealt Pulushaj to MTL (who is undersized but very talented).

Sidenote: IMHO...
MTL should have dealt Price. I am not going to sit here and say if I think Price or Halak are better, but Halak just carried the Habs on his shoulders and became (seemingly) a fan favorite.
Price OTOH has been accused of not being able to handle the pressure in a market like MTL.

More or less a PR thing. If you trade Price you could still say 'we kept the guy that single handidly almost got us to the SCF' whereas now Habs org is stuck with the very real possibility of calming the masses if/when Price bombs.

That's the part of this deal that had me scratching my head and not believingly it really happened.

BackesInBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Secord Forever View Post
Totally, eh. I was walking down the street the other day and saw a $50 but didn't bother stopping because I already had lunch money in my pocket.
that's ok i saw it and scooped it up

Old
06-18-2010, 12:18 PM
mm6492

As if Price did not have enough pressure on him before to succeed...this move baffles me.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Both teams made out well in this trade, St Louis has a lot of solid young guys that made them able to trade Eller. Halak was great for us but it makes sense to trade the goalie who's value is at its highest compared to the goalie who's value was nowhere near as high as it could be. Montreal is already close to the cap so the $1-2 million difference between Halak and Price's salaries this year will be huge.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Rude Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Montreal surely researched market comparables to what it would cost to re-sign Halak, and simply decided not to engage in discussions with him and his agent. They chose to go a differing route and dealt a goal-tending asset when his value was at its highest.

For those of you claiming Montreal chose to go with the wrong goalie, FYI, Price has MORE WINS over his career, and is also younger.

While Halak may have indeed played well during his playoff run, FYI, Montreal's defense also blocked a massive amount of shots during those series; they made him look perhaps a bit better than he actually was.
Montreal's problem was that they were too small at forward; with Eller in the lineup (& Schultz), they just got bigger. Nothing wrong with that.

Eller is a good prospect, and Schultz is a good potential energy guy.

I'm a fan of neither team. In my opinion, this trade is a wash when one considers the amount of FA goalies available. Montreal got good value; they weren't hosed as some here have claimed, Revisit the trade in five years and then pass judgment.
Or more likely he made the D look a heck of a lot better then they are.

Rude Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Rude Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
..and what if Halak is the next andrew raycroft?

i will admit he was great down the stretch, but he has never played a full season. there is no guarantee that he is as everyone seems to claim 'the best goalie in the NHL last season'

besides halak agent is an ass, i look forward to see what kind of deal that he will sign in STL.

imo Habs made a good deal, Lars Eller could play on the second line next season, and dare i say that Schultz is a poor man's Backes
I agree if "by poor" you mean Greece's financial situation.

Rude Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:31 PM
yettyskill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Both teams made out well in this trade, St Louis has a lot of solid young guys that made them able to trade Eller. Halak was great for us but it makes sense to trade the goalie who's value is at its highest compared to the goalie who's value was nowhere near as high as it could be. Montreal is already close to the cap so the $1-2 million difference between Halak and Price's salaries this year will be huge.
Im pretty sure the Habss cap situation goes like....6 forwards 6 D under contract, and 15 million left for the rest of the RFA's and FA's. Paying Halak 4-5 million wasnt an option

yettyskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:38 PM
TOML

Quote:
Don't forget the immortal Garnet Exelby. He was 9th on the depth chart. 9th!

Like it or not, right now, TO has better goaltending than Mtl.

While Price should have the tools to improve and it's probably too early to write him off, he hasn't shown the consistency of some great high draft pick goaltenders before him. Like Giguere, Fleury and Luongo. Great high draft pick goaltenders, you should all know, are the EXCEPTION, not the norm.

Price so far has followed the career path of other high draft pick goaltenders Lehtonen, Leclaire, Dipietro and Thibault, who never really proved themselves as reliable starters because of injuries and inconsistency. But he's still better than outright busts like Storr and Montoya.

Price was likely brought in too soon and too much was expected of him after his decent rookie season. Now players seem to have a book on him. Meanwhile, Rask looks to be the better goaltender drafted in 2005. He wasn't rushed.

"Oh, but Halak was drafted in round 9. Not round 1! He's worse!"

Drafted in round #10 in 1983: Dominic Hasek

Goaltending is a funny thing. You simply can't predict who will and who won't pan out on draft day. But at this point, after watching Price become a sieve and Halak be dominant in the playoffs, it was pretty darn obvious that Halak would turn out to be the better goaltender.

This trade could very well pan out to be one of the worst ever.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote