HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is your #1 goalie next season?

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2004, 06:20 AM
Barney Stinson76

vCash: 500

THX LP66

Old
05-19-2004, 06:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Uh....Robert Esche...?

Old
05-19-2004, 07:06 AM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePenguin66

THX LP66

Old
05-19-2004, 07:21 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePenguin66

THX LP66

Wow, I thought I said some dumb things!

Old
05-19-2004, 07:54 AM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
Wow, I thought I said some dumb things!
That is pretty funny

Old
05-19-2004, 08:00 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I don't think we will have a next season, maybe for a year or longer, but when we do, let Nittymaki compete for the number one spot

Old
05-19-2004, 08:44 AM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
I don't think we will have a next season, maybe for a year or longer, but when we do, let Nittymaki compete for the number one spot
You have got to be kidding, right? Robert Esche has played really well during the regular season and Stanley Cup Playoffs. Almost all the goals he has given up are redirections. He even kept his team in the game last night, Game 5, against Tampa Bay.

If the Flyers are eliminated, I as a hockey fan hope that Esche doesn't get blamed. He has been outstanding. I can only see Primeau as being above Esche as Flyers MVP this playoff run.

As an American, I hope he gets the starting job for Team USA at the World Cup of Hockey this summer. Team USA needs a quality goaltender, and I think he has shwon some quality play over the last two seasons.

Esche should have gotten the #1 spot early in the year instead being in a platoon with Jeff "the Hack" Hackett. I chalk that one up to Hitchcock. Maybe he can just come out and say, "I know not-zing" about goaltenders.

Old
05-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
You have got to be kidding, right? Robert Esche has played really well during the regular season and Stanley Cup Playoffs. Almost all the goals he has given up are redirections. He even kept his team in the game last night, Game 5, against Tampa Bay.

If the Flyers are eliminated, I as a hockey fan hope that Esche doesn't get blamed. He has been outstanding. I can only see Primeau as being above Esche as Flyers MVP this playoff run.

As an American, I hope he gets the starting job for Team USA at the World Cup of Hockey this summer. Team USA needs a quality goaltender, and I think he has shwon some quality play over the last two seasons.

Esche should have gotten the #1 spot early in the year instead being in a platoon with Jeff "the Hack" Hackett. I chalk that one up to Hitchcock. Maybe he can just come out and say, "I know not-zing" about goaltenders.

It's nice to see anon flyer fan actually give Esche credit.

Old
05-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
It's nice to see anon flyer fan actually give Esche credit.

He raised great points, I still say Nitty has earned the right to compete for the job. Not like he'd be named starter ahead of Robert anyways. At least if he has the chance to compete he may stay happy within the organization.

Old
05-19-2004, 07:37 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
He raised great points, I still say Nitty has earned the right to compete for the job. Not like he'd be named starter ahead of Robert anyways. At least if he has the chance to compete he may stay happy within the organization.
I agree... not that I dislike Esche or anything, because he's great... but no one stopped Cechmanek from stealing Boucher's job after the 2000 run, so why should this be different? My biggest question is... when the hell are the Flyers going to have a team with a league leading scorer again? I mean, Philly played a big hand in building Tampa, trading all their garbage to them, which they used to trade away and build their team... why couldn't we do it?

Old
05-19-2004, 07:47 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Don't get me wrong, I really like Esche, and wanted him to play over Chokemanek last season quite early on, he's played really solid, but still has a way to go though untill he is in the same class as the Nabokovs and Kipprusofs, and if Nittymaki beats him to that level so be it

Old
05-19-2004, 07:49 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
The real question should be who our backup is. Nittymaki needs some type of formal introduction to the majors, and Malek is going to be hot on his tail before you know it.

Old
05-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Niittymaki will come to camp with an opportunity to prove himself, but with the way Esche has played as starter I don't foresee him giving up the number one job...yet. Give Niittymaki some time, and providing he isn't moved anywhere, I think he'll eventually get it. Next year though, it'll be Esche.

That's of course, assuming there is a season next year.

Old
05-19-2004, 07:52 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
The real question should be who our backup is. Nittymaki needs some type of formal introduction to the majors, and Malek is going to be hot on his tail before you know it.
if he ever decides to accept a two way contract

Old
05-19-2004, 07:53 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Nittymaki doesn't need the starting job to have pushed toward all goaltender's goal as an NHL goalie. What seperates being a goaltender in hockey from other important positions in sports such as being a quarterback in football is that the starting quarterback starts literally every game, while goaltenders never started all 82 (or 72 in the future) games of the season. Nittymaki can get a good 10-20 starts in next season if he becomes the back-up goaltender next season, which is all he should get to be introduced to the league better anyway.

Old
05-19-2004, 08:35 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Nittymaki doesn't need the starting job to have pushed toward all goaltender's goal as an NHL goalie. What seperates being a goaltender in hockey from other important positions in sports such as being a quarterback in football is that the starting quarterback starts literally every game, while goaltenders never started all 82 (or 72 in the future) games of the season. Nittymaki can get a good 10-20 starts in next season if he becomes the back-up goaltender next season, which is all he should get to be introduced to the league better anyway.
But, he won't be the backup next season. Sean Burke will be - there is no way he turns down his option, though I am not completely sure how that one works.

That said, Niittymaki can still be worked in for a few games to get him some more NHL experience, but I don't think he sees real time until Burke is outta here.

Old
05-19-2004, 10:01 PM
blah

4.25 player option
4.5 mutual option
4.75 team option

Closed Thread