HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do YOU want?

View Poll Results: What player do you want the Wild to acquire?
Plekanec [MTL] 3 10.34%
Weiss [FLA] 3 10.34%
Horton [FLA] 1 3.45%
Sharp [CHI] 9 31.03%
Carter [PHI] 8 27.59%
Other 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Kari Takko

vCash: 500
If he can add a little more grit to his game, think Shane Doan.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 12:53 AM
MN_Gopher

If we were one guy away i might be exited about getting that one guy. I do not see this team as going to far in the next few years. DR's presence is still around this team.

One thing for mel; If PMB is guranteed healthy i would be much more optimistic. But not playing and just got the go to exercise. You cannot lose that much cap room for one player and not have him play a game.

Kobasew, Brunno, Mitts are great role guys. But we need those three to play like they did in their very best years and at combined 7 mil thats a pretty penny for missing pieces when have a relative weak core.

We need to lock up Koivu. IMO the most underarted player in the NHL.

No one knows what Barker will bring. And even Latendresse this next year.

I'd like to see the wild get a lot of picks and young players. I think this years first is more important than one player that would come here. Well maybe Kovalchuk.

Build something up. DR was great at trying to piece things together. it did not work. One player is that not the piece we need. We really do not have an identity right now. With no picture its hard to find the right pieces.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 09:16 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I don't think anyone thinks this one player will get the Wild to be a contender... that doesn't mean you ignore adding talent. You have to add talent to fill holes in the first place so eventually you are only 1 player away from contending for the cup.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 09:30 PM
grN1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I don't think anyone thinks this one player will get the Wild to be a contender... that doesn't mean you ignore adding talent. You have to add talent to fill holes in the first place so eventually you are only 1 player away from contending for the cup.
true, but you don't fix the problems by trading away your 1st rounds for 1 player. An aging player at that. (ie: Sharp)

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
true, but you don't fix the problems by trading away your 1st rounds for 1 player. An aging player at that. (ie: Sharp)
Isn't Sharp like 1 year older than Koivu?

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 09:42 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
I don't think anyone is advocating trading our 1st for Sharp. It'd likely be a player going back to Chicago in that case.

If the 1st gets traded it will be for a young player like Okposo or Horton for example. Someone who'd be here for a long time.

Old
06-19-2010, 10:53 PM
saywut

Quote:
I don't think anyone is advocating trading our 1st for Sharp. It'd likely be a player going back to Chicago in that case.

If the 1st gets traded it will be for a young player like Okposo or Horton for example. Someone who'd be here for a long time.
Sharp is only 28. Horton is 25. I'm not all that keen on acquiring Horton either.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:02 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I was usuing him as an example, not as a suggested move.

Old
06-20-2010, 01:01 AM
MN_Gopher

I think of this year as te year we traded for Demitra. Only we have no Gaborik to compliment any one. We trade a pick and a player for Demitra. sacrifice the future for a few good years.

A pick is not a gurantee. We cannot make lateral moves either. We have to look at not only the big picture, but we need to gaze into the crystal ball and see where we really stand in 5 years. Meaning, if we get Sharp, or who ever. But lose Koivu. What is the point. Replace one for another. We need to lock up our own long term. Then build around that.

Just because we can does not mean we should. I am fine waiting and doing it right as supposed to just filling in when can becasue we can. The Timberwolf way, thank you again McHale.

Nexy year we lose.

Kobasew and 2.3 Mil
Brunno and 2.3 Mil
Mitts and 2.3

Assuming we sign Latrendresse and Koivu.

PMB, Latrendresse, Koivu, Havlat are not a bad 4 of top 6.

Clutterbuck, Broadziak, Gillies, and not a bad 3 of bottom 6.

With 5 of 6 d men signed.

Golaie signed.

Two years seems more lilkly to make a serious run. If Kovalckuk wants in. Yeah you take it. But i would stand still and entertain offers. If it works out perfect, take it. If not then stand still.

If we did lose a first for Sharp. That can be ok. But try and swap Sheppard for Skille in the process. Or something simular.

Adam Burish seems like a nice, not to expensive fit.
Jordan Leopold. A good fit. Local kid. Probally cheap as well.

After a few more cheap fillers. Then you have the money to go afte ra big time FA and make a trade for another and have the space to do it. Get the right guys, not ones available this year.

Old
06-20-2010, 03:10 AM
State of Hockey

Quote:
that doesn't mean you ignore adding talent. You have to add talent to fill holes in the first place so eventually you are only 1 player away from contending for the cup.
I'd say trades are the least affective way to add talent to a roster.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:14 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Depends on the trade.

Schultz for Lupul would benefit both teams.

Schultz has fallen out of favor with Richards. He's still a good shot blocking, penalty killing, shut-down defenseman. Just because he doesn't forecheck, doesn't mean his value is low.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 04:03 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
If you trade for a superstar, chances are you're right. When you trade picks for youth, or youth for youth, not always.

It all depends on the deal.

Old
06-20-2010, 02:22 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Carter by a landslide. Another Koivu on the team? Yes please.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 04:43 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
I think of this year as te year we traded for Demitra. Only we have no Gaborik to compliment any one. We trade a pick and a player for Demitra. sacrifice the future for a few good years.
Nope. Sorry. It might be the pick or it might be a prospect coupled with a vet, but not both. I highly doubt they're going to move both with the dearth of talent in the pipeline. This will (or should if they're not stupid) be nothing like the Demitra trade.

Quote:
A pick is not a gurantee. We cannot make lateral moves either. We have to look at not only the big picture, but we need to gaze into the crystal ball and see where we really stand in 5 years. Meaning, if we get Sharp, or who ever. But lose Koivu. What is the point. Replace one for another. We need to lock up our own long term. Then build around that.
Pretty well stating the obvious. Sharp coming here though should really not have any bearing on Koivu.

Quote:
Two years seems more lilkly to make a serious run. If Kovalckuk wants in. Yeah you take it. But i would stand still and entertain offers. If it works out perfect, take it. If not then stand still.
So you think Sharp will affect the Koivu signing, but then advocate for Kovalchuk? Where is the money to sign Kovalchuk? There isn't any. He's going to want at least 7 if not 10mil. We have approx 12 to work with.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 05:44 PM
shleeban

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatsFan48 View Post
Carter by a landslide. Another Koivu on the team? Yes please.
? carter isnt 1/4 the defensive player and is a sniper not playmaker...... comparing him to koivu is like saying oil tastes like water.

shleeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:19 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
If you trade for a superstar, chances are you're right. When you trade picks for youth, or youth for youth, not always.

It all depends on the deal.
Agreed. And that's why it's the least effective method to adding talent. Sometime you do add talent. Sometimes you don't. It's a pendulum. The draft and free agency is when you best add talent because there's no "loss" of talent when you "add".

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Kari Takko

I'm opposed to trading our 1st round pick, but would any of you trade our first rounder if we could also get rid of Bouchard in the deal?

Let's say, Bouchard + 1st +2nd from Wash for Setoguchi.

Old
06-20-2010, 11:29 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Takko View Post
I'm opposed to trading our 1st round pick, but would any of you trade our first rounder if we could also get rid of Bouchard in the deal?

You mean from San Jose? And if that's who you're referring to, no.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:

no, I disagree with you. I'd keep Bouchard with this team and the first rounder is important to the team.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:28 AM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
Nope. Sorry. It might be the pick or it might be a prospect coupled with a vet, but not both. I highly doubt they're going to move both with the dearth of talent in the pipeline. This will (or should if they're not stupid) be nothing like the Demitra trade.
At the time it happened. Everyone loved the Demitra trade. It was only when Demo and JL did not see eye to eye and Demo's age started to show did the deal real go sour.

Quote:
So you think Sharp will affect the Koivu signing, but then advocate for Kovalchuk? Where is the money to sign Kovalchuk? There isn't any. He's going to want at least 7 if not 10mil. We have approx 12 to work with.
Illya is a difference maker. 40+ goals. If you get Sharp and Koivu wants big money. Sharp and Koivu are not going to carry this team. You almost have to sign Koivu first before anythign happens. Then you know what you have, cap room, to work with. Losing Koivu is not a good thing at all. If you are going to lose Koivu. If we wants too much. Why waste assets to land Sharp. Go bigger.

I do not think Sharp is a bad player. I like him, want him. But it has to make sense. Patchwork only can carry you so far. Sharp IMO is not a difference maker. A guy that can carry a team on his own. At #9. You can get a very solid player. If that player pans out, its cheap too.

Old
06-21-2010, 12:36 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
At the time it happened. Everyone loved the Demitra trade. It was only when Demo and JL did not see eye to eye and Demo's age started to show did the deal real go sour.
I stand by that was a good trade.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:58 AM
Rabid Husky

On that list, Sharp but I'd also like to add Cullen as well.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Kari Takko

Quote:
You mean from San Jose? And if that's who you're referring to, no.
I was referring to our 2nd rounder which we acquired from Washington.

So we could get an excellent up and comer in Setoguchi and get rid of Bouchard all for a 1st and one of our 2nds, and no one would consider it?

Old
06-21-2010, 08:45 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
So we could get an excellent up and comer in Setoguchi and get rid of Bouchard all for a 1st and one of our 2nds, and no one would consider it?
I think it's somewhat fair value. Seto did have a down year though so that's why I'd be concerned about it. If he can get back to his old form I'd be all for it. But I don't know how willing the Sharks would be to take on Bouchard's contract. Even with #9 going their way.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:02 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
I was referring to our 2nd rounder which we acquired from Washington.

Man it's so hard to give up #9, and #39. I know we have to give to get, but damn it's so hard for me to give up the #9 overall. We can get a good player, but that's no sure thing. If Seto was to be had for that, he would probably be a great addition on the wing of Koivu.

It's a tough call. Getting rid of Butch would be huge, but losing both of our picks would be a tough thing to swallow.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote