HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do YOU want?

View Poll Results: What player do you want the Wild to acquire?
Plekanec [MTL] 3 10.34%
Weiss [FLA] 3 10.34%
Horton [FLA] 1 3.45%
Sharp [CHI] 9 31.03%
Carter [PHI] 8 27.59%
Other 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-21-2010, 10:26 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

vCash: 500
I said other. Shore up the 3rd/4th lines & stay away from the overpriced FA's. Maybe move a defenseman for picks or a young forward. That's it though. The Wild need a little more cap space & a better free agency class to turn themselves into a legitimate contender.

If you look at the roster, which has been beaten to death - the Wild need a 1st line winger, a 2nd line center and bottom six depth. Given the cap space and players available - this offseason is a good time to round out the bottom six. It would also come with the added benefit of giving Wellman & Palmer some experience in the AHL.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:16 AM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
At the time it happened. Everyone loved the Demitra trade. It was only when Demo and JL did not see eye to eye and Demo's age started to show did the deal real go sour.
You sailed right past the point. My reference was that the deals wouldn't be similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
Illya is a difference maker. 40+ goals. If you get Sharp and Koivu wants big money. Sharp and Koivu are not going to carry this team. You almost have to sign Koivu first before anythign happens. Then you know what you have, cap room, to work with. Losing Koivu is not a good thing at all. If you are going to lose Koivu. If we wants too much. Why waste assets to land Sharp. Go bigger.

I do not think Sharp is a bad player. I like him, want him. But it has to make sense. Patchwork only can carry you so far. Sharp IMO is not a difference maker. A guy that can carry a team on his own. At #9. You can get a very solid player. If that player pans out, its cheap too.
Patchwork would be Kovalchuk and honestly, with a deal for him, we'd be stuck where we were with Gaborik and not being able to afford much else. Didn't work out real well. Sharp is a longer term piece of the puzzle. Then you also get where teams can shut down whatever line he's [Kovi] on. Why? Because we'd have very little secondary scoring. With Sharp and a cheaper [than Kovalchuk], yet still quality winger that can pot 20-30 goals, we're closer to putting together a few lines that can score. Keep in mind, we have about 12 mil as of right now with which to sign players. Kovi is rumored to be asking in the 10 mil range. We do not have the coin for him and being able to sign the rest of the players we're going to need. Sharp isn't patchwork, he's building towards something bigger. Your logic would put us back where we were in the past few Gaborik years. They're going to try and roll 3-4 lines, not stack 1-2. Forget Kovalchuk, it's not happening. Nor should it with the state we're in.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 02:32 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Takko View Post
I was referring to our 2nd rounder which we acquired from Washington.

So we could get an excellent up and comer in Setoguchi and get rid of Bouchard all for a 1st and one of our 2nds, and no one would consider it?
I would - that's pushing Phil Kessel territory in terms of what the team would have to give up and I'm not entirely sure he's worth that much.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:04 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

To me if it costs our 1st, I wouldn't do it. Minnesota is so paper thin on guys to call up...

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 06:09 AM
mikko1995

On the guys that are on the list I would take Sharp, if I remember right he can play wing too. And he has a good chemistry with Havlat.

But if I would get to choose one player to come to Wild, I would take Tuomo Ruutu, he and Koivu have played together in Finland's national team and in U18- and U20-teams, they have good chemistry together. Ruutu can hit, score and pass, he is good in PP and can play PK too. I believe he would help Wild with Powerplay and PK. This will propably never happen, but still you can always hope.

And I would like to see Wild drafting guy like Brett Conolly or some D like Mark Pysyk.

mikko1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:15 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
I said other. Shore up the 3rd/4th lines & stay away from the overpriced FA's. Maybe move a defenseman for picks or a young forward. That's it though. The Wild need a little more cap space & a better free agency class to turn themselves into a legitimate contender.

If you look at the roster, which has been beaten to death - the Wild need a 1st line winger, a 2nd line center and bottom six depth. Given the cap space and players available - this offseason is a good time to round out the bottom six. It would also come with the added benefit of giving Wellman & Palmer some experience in the AHL.
You're crazy Bob! That'll never happen... plus, the board would have a meltdown with that stupid strategy.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:08 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Plekanec is rumored to be off the boards. Horton is too. Looking at Carter now? 1st + 2nd for Carter?

Old
06-22-2010, 02:52 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

not going to get any of those guys. if i could pick one id say sharp but i really dont see anything like that happening. it would be nice because we have no young forwards coming up, we have drafted terrible the last few years. i hope we draft a forward or more importantly a center this year. johanson would be nice, since they didnt draft schroeder last year like they should have

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Plek and Horton are officially off the block.

I honestly doubt we'll be getting any of the remaining, but I'd still gush like mad if we got Carter.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:30 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
Plek and Horton are officially off the block.

I honestly doubt we'll be getting any of the remaining, but I'd still gush like mad if we got Carter.
1st, 2nd and Harding! Get it done!

Old
06-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
I doubt they'd go for that, and I doubt Fletch would either.

With them Signing Hamhuis, I honestly don't see it being a fit to get Carter here. Burns would almost have to be involved in my eyes.

Who knows though, anything's possible.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:39 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
I doubt they'd go for that, and I doubt Fletch would either.

With them Signing Hamhuis, I honestly don't see it being a fit to get Carter here. Burns would almost have to be involved in my eyes.

Who knows though, anything's possible.
Fine! Burns + Washington's 2nd and Harding for Carter!

I could see Philadelphia moving Carter for pieces as they are near the cap and Carter is the most intriguing piece.

Old
06-22-2010, 03:41 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
You call that a rebuild?

Old
06-22-2010, 03:45 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
You call that a rebuild?
Nope but I'm going off of what Fletcher has been doing lately and what other Wild fans have been saying.

1st is unproven, 2nd is unproven and Harding has little trade value for some odd reason.

And it could be either or 2nds (Washington or Minnesota)

Given that Carter is a proven. Has scored over 75 goals (even I think 80) in the past two years and that he has been described in value as close to Koivu, I would think that a 1st and a 2nd plus a player like Harding would be of value.

Old
06-23-2010, 11:35 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Spezza, I wouldn't mind losing Burns for him.

aylib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Jbcraig1883

I have always like Weiss but I think Tallon needs some pieces to move forward with and Weiss is a good piece to do so.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:48 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Spezza, carter,weiss, and kovalchuck...in that order are my pipedreams. If they trade Burns, I will be pissed off for a very long time.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 04:51 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Chicago just dropped $5.5 million salary trading Byfuglien, Eager and Sopel to Atlanta so the Sharp dream is probably over.

Old
06-23-2010, 05:01 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

They'll still need to drop one more player.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:07 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

True but I doubt it will now be Sharp.

Old
06-23-2010, 05:12 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
True but I doubt it will now be Sharp.
Oh, heck no. I don't think (and never thought) they would be moving Sharp. I always figured it would be Ladd, Eager, Sopel and Byufglien.

Ladd and Eager are both easily replaceable by Skille/Beach. Byufglien is a sell high moment. and Sopel is a top-4 D on any other team and there are about 18 teams that need a top-4 D.

/shrug

I tried to make that point on the WMB and people got a little bunched in the crotch.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:24 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Well there's a nice sentiment of posters lusting for Sharp on the WMB (as there is here).

But yeah, I figured a team like Atlanta, Phoenix or Florida playing with house money would pick up some combination of the outliers or it would be two smaller big trades for Ladd, Versteeg and Sharp if desperation set in. Atlanta needed to toughen up, already has a top-five or ten set of young prospects (HF has them at 7 without Kane and Bogosian) and an abundance of picks from the Kovalchuk trade. They slightly overpaid for Byufglien and personally I wouldn't have included the prospect swap (Jeremy Morin for Akim Aliu, but it makes sense that they would want those guys.

Old
06-23-2010, 05:24 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

I always thought Sopel sucks. He has a good game here and there but he really isn't worth what he's making IMO. I dunno what Atlanta is thinking in putting salary on byfuglien who is a role player--not a marquis goal scoring star. Aren't they in rebuild mode? God what a gong-show--i'm going to have to follow Atlanta a little now just to watch.

Good for chicago though!

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:30 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Atlanta's in a weird rebuild where it's technically year 2 or 3 but they still have a lot of stuff from the Kovalchuk deal (which may or may not be a new start to the rebuild).

Old
06-23-2010, 11:45 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Atlanta's in a weird rebuild where it's technically year 2 or 3 but they still have a lot of stuff from the Kovalchuk deal (which may or may not be a new start to the rebuild).
I don't think the trade was so bad, I mean they have to decide at some point that they need NHL talent, Bergfors is pretty good, and Antropov had a decent year last year.

I don't know, they probably just want to make the playoffs.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote