HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When are Stewart and Mueller gonna get signed?

Old
06-29-2010, 02:20 AM
Adama0905

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
sorry but that is just awesome. It was the NHL draft, half the people were wearing expensive suits and if there is contract negations going on his agent would likely be present. I wouldn't read too much into it.
Well he did say two guys in expensive suits. One could've been his agent, one could've been a representative from the Avs. Who knows. I still wouldn't read much in to it though. Maybe they're bounty hunters.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:07 AM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
Well he did say two guys in expensive suits. One could've been his agent, one could've been a representative from the Avs. Who knows. I still wouldn't read much in to it though. Maybe they're bounty hunters.
Something about drafting players and talking contracts extensions around other teams just doesn't sound too bright to me. Thats just poor management to me but to each their own speculation.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Something about drafting players and talking contracts extensions around other teams just doesn't sound too bright to me. Thats just poor management to me but to each their own speculation.
I just don't really understand why Stewart would just be hanging around at the draft is my only reasoning for believing he was talking contracts.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:20 AM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
I just don't really understand why Stewart would just be hanging around at the draft is my only reasoning for believing he was talking contracts.
He was hanging around that player that got drafted in the 2nd round by the Ducks (can't recall his name); could be friends.

Something about contract negations during a draft when other teams are present and hear what the Avs are offering Stewart just doesn't sound smart. Lets say the Avs talk to Stewart to a 3M contract. .A team could send him a offer sheet of 4M or so after hearing what the Avs offered to either

a. get stewart
b. put the avs in a tough spot

I am not saying you can't have contract negations outside but generally when talking about salary I'd expect it to be in a private place where both the player, agent and GM are involved.

But what do I know? I've never signed contracts before so I am going on what I expect should happen.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

tik. tok. tik. tok.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Jrtu

Damn, we are down to two days before all hell break loose on offersheets. However, I don't think we have to worry too much, we have tons of cap space. We can easily match offersheets and counter them to screw a team over. No GM is dumb enough to mess with us.

Jrtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:19 PM
StanGetz*

I doubt anyone throws and offer sheet our way. Every year people worry about their players getting snagged that way, and really no gm's ever throw them out. I think we'll be just fine.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:19 PM
jaisen73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrtu View Post
Damn, we are down to two days before all hell break loose on offersheets. However, I don't think we have to worry too much, we have tons of cap space. We can easily match offersheets and counter them to screw a team over. No GM is dumb enough to mess with us.
Yes, they have the money to match but you don't want someone else's GM setting the terms of a contract for YOUR player.

I don't see Mueller or Quincey as offer sheet candidates but some GM might, maybe try to grab Stewart. But the dollar amounts would put them into 1st round pick territory so I doubt it.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:35 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisen73 View Post
Yes, they have the money to match but you don't want someone else's GM setting the terms of a contract for YOUR player.

I don't see Mueller or Quincey as offer sheet candidates but some GM might, maybe try to grab Stewart. But the dollar amounts would put them into 1st round pick territory so I doubt it.
Stewart has to be kept unless the draft pick compensation is 2+ first rounders. Even for a first, second, and third I would rather keep Stewart (unless its a terrible team).

It's a two way street anyways. Yes the Avs would have to overpay to match but does a team really want to give up a 1, 2, and 3 pick AND pay Stewart 4M a year? Teams might be screwing their own salary cap while attempting to screw the Avs.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMUCHBREWER View Post
Stewart has to be kept unless the draft pick compensation is 2+ first rounders. Even for a first, second, and third I would rather keep Stewart (unless its a terrible team).

It's a two way street anyways. Yes the Avs would have to overpay to match but does a team really want to give up a 1, 2, and 3 pick AND pay Stewart 4M a year? Teams might be screwing their own salary cap while attempting to screw the Avs.
Ahem.

Terrible Team + Chris "ManBearPig" Stewart = Best Team/Perreneal Stanley Cup Champions.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMUCHBREWER View Post

I agree I think this is overblown. And with the room the Avs have for the next 3-4 years under the cap, I really can't see a team trying to swipe a player and piss us off. It could really come back to bite them horribly in the end.

The team that is playing with fire in all this though is St Louis with Erik Johnson.

Sign him somewhere between $4,520,150 to $6,026,867 (probably $6M per) and pay a First-round, second-round and third-round choice.

I would give up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Johnson. It would be a stiff penalty, but the Avs would have a #1 d-man for the next 10 years.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrtu View Post
Any GM that gives up a 1st rd pick in 2010 (lottery) and 2nd round pick in 2010 + a 1st rd pick in 2011 (likely lottery) for Phil Kessel and then maintains that he'd do it again given the chance, cannot be underestimated. Lucky for us the Leafs don't have a 1st rounder to give up in 2011 and therefore would need to re-acquire it from Boston before signing anyone to an offer sheet.

Seriously though, do not underestimate ANY GMs in this league especially when we're talking about a 22 year old power forward who just put up 64 pts the year prior. Those kinds of players are extremely difficult to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishonHishoff View Post
I agree I think this is overblown. And with the room the Avs have for the next 3-4 years under the cap, I really can't see a team trying to swipe a player and piss us off. It could really come back to bite them horribly in the end.

The team that is playing with fire in all this though is St Louis with Erik Johnson.

Sign him somewhere between $4,520,150 to $6,026,867 (probably $6M per) and pay a First-round, second-round and third-round choice.

I would give up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Johnson. It would be a stiff penalty, but the Avs would have a #1 d-man for the next 10 years.
I really don't think you want to get into a situation where you're overpaying for potential. Johnson's a nice player but I'm still not sold he's that bona-fide #1 guy just yet. To me he's still a $2.5-3.5M player at this stage in his career. At $4.5M though, it might be worth the risk in the long run if you can sign him for 4-5 years. (His agent probably wouldn't be too thrilled though + the Blues would match anyhow)

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:22 PM
zingbo2133

ahhh why havent they been signed yet??

zingbo2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:27 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingbo2133 View Post
ahhh why havent they been signed yet??
They might be, and it's not announced. Either way, numerous RFA's have been qualified but not signed: Erik Johnson, a ton of guys for Washington, Bobby Ryan, James Neal, Braydon Coburn...so I wouldn't look into it too much.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:36 PM
zingbo2133

i hope you right i figured by now i would of seen it on here
its 1030 here so its only like 830 there so there is still a chance for tonight to see it just so i dont go to bed to worried lol

Old
06-30-2010, 10:39 PM
StanGetz*

Quote:
its 1030 here so its only like 830 there so there is still a chance for tonight to see it just so i dont go to bed to worried lol
Well FA doesn't start until noon EST tomorrow, but regardless since they've been tendered their QO's doesn't that mean they wont hit UFA status? I could be wrong on this one.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
It's not uncommon for RFAs to re-sign with their teams after July 1st. The threat of an offer sheet is very low.

Old
06-30-2010, 10:43 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Same time here, not a Colorado native.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
It's not uncommon for RFAs to re-sign with their teams after July 1st. The threat of an offer sheet is very low.
even lower now that kevin Lowe is not a GM anymore

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:47 PM
zingbo2133

haha ya i know they dont do them often but i could see someone trying on MBP and i just really want something to happen with the avs so i have stuff to read about there **** going on with other teams but i dont care to much about that

Old
06-30-2010, 10:59 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Offer sheets are the most overblown non-factor in the league. I will be absolutely shocked if either Stewart or Mueller get tendered one.

detrude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 12:00 AM
CapnCrunch

I doubt Quincey, Mueller or Stewart will be given offer sheets, considering their history. Quincey only has 2 full seasons under his belt (he spent most of the time in the minors while in Detroit), Mueller has been pretty inconsistent thus far from season to season, and Stewart only got 19 points in 08-09.

Offer sheets are best used for players that have been consistent, since any offer that's equal to the value they bring will usually be matched by their club (if a qualifying offer was tendered). Don't get me wrong, I'm not downplaying their importance to the Avalanche, but I'm not going to lose sleep over not seeing announcements that they've been signed.

CapnCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 12:04 AM
PeterTheGreat

Nobody's going to offer sheet a team that has as much cap space as we have. It makes no sense.

Offer sheets are very, very rare. The only 3 RFA's I could see possibly getting offer sheeted (and it's extremely unlikely) are Ladd, Niemi, or Coburn. Chicago and Philly are right up against the cap and may not be able to match a reasonable offer. Offer sheeting a team that has 25 million in cap space like us? Well that's just plain silly.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGetz View Post
Well FA doesn't start until noon EST tomorrow, but regardless since they've been tendered their QO's doesn't that mean they wont hit UFA status? I could be wrong on this one.
Correct, that is the point of an offer sheet. When a club offers a player an offer sheet, they keep their rights. It is then up until the arbitration deadline for the club and player to sign a deal. If there is no deal by the arbitration deadline (usually mid August) then it is up to the arbitrator to decide on a fair deal.

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:33 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamSoda View Post
Correct, that is the point of an offer sheet. When a club offers a player an offer sheet, they keep their rights. It is then up until the arbitration deadline for the club and player to sign a deal. If there is no deal by the arbitration deadline (usually mid August) then it is up to the arbitrator to decide on a fair deal.
But some don't qualify for arbitration or choose not to. I think, right?