HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Maxwell

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-19-2010, 05:10 AM
  #1
hong57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 301
vCash: 500
Ben Maxwell

Hi Habs fans..

Just want to know more on Maxwell (as i have him on my fantasy keeper).. and i saw the thread regarding top 10 prospects for each team in the prospects board ... Maxwell barely makes it on most list or is on HM.. (and now with Lars and Schultz he won't even make it i guess?) I thought he was one of the top prospects..
Can you let me know more if he have a great chance starting in centre with habs in coming season? His potential as well?

Thanks so much!
Cheers

hong57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:47 AM
  #2
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,660
vCash: 500
Maxwell will likely be a depth player for Habs this upcoming season or he could be in the AHL. He won't have a major scoring role. Keep an eye on the Plekanec situation. If Pleks stays and with the addition of Eller, Maxwell is going to have difficulty cracking this lineup in anything better than a 4th line role. Maxwell has had difficulty putting up any points in the NHL. I would think that there are better options out there for your keeper league.

As far as potential goes, if he ever establishes himself in the NHL, his highest upside is likely as a #2 centre and 50 or so points. This is his absolute highest potential but very unlikely in my opinion. He's a beautiful skater and has been known as a good 2-way Centre at every level (except NHL). In my opinion, he's a very poor man's Plekanec. Again, you can probably do better in your keeper league.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:59 AM
  #3
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,476
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
In the 20 or so games he's played in the NHL he has shown zero potential. He's looked useless at every part of the game. Some people seem to think he's got potential, but I've never seen it.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:37 AM
  #4
sukimono
Registered User
 
sukimono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PQ
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,793
vCash: 500
Another Timmins gem

sukimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:40 AM
  #5
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
In the 20 or so games he's played in the NHL he has shown zero potential. He's looked useless at every part of the game. Some people seem to think he's got potential, but I've never seen it.
I think he needs to play with a bit more passion in his game, he is a very smart player that never lets himself get out of position, but at this level you have to give it a bit more. He's been a good player in the AHL, though his numbers stagnated(same PPGM at 21 than at 20). Next year is definitely a big one for him, he needs to take the next step.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:42 AM
  #6
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Underwhelming so far, to say the least.

Fozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:46 AM
  #7
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,456
vCash: 500
He's an offensive center who has played on the wing or with 4th liners when he's been in the NHL so obviously he didn't look very good up with the Habs. I've been disappointed with his weakness and lack of physicality but I still have hope for him if he can gain some weight as he has very good speed and vision and only just turned 22 years old.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:59 AM
  #8
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby
 
RoyBoyCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lennoxville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
In the 20 or so games he's played in the NHL he has shown zero potential. He's looked useless at every part of the game. Some people seem to think he's got potential, but I've never seen it.
This. He brings basically nothing to the table.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 08:02 AM
  #9
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
In the 20 or so games he's played in the NHL he has shown zero potential. He's looked useless at every part of the game. Some people seem to think he's got potential, but I've never seen it.
Completely agreed.
I really don't mind that he has no point, but the fact that he showed nothing special really bothers me. D'Agostini, Pax, Chips, Sergei or Hossa debuts impressed me much more. And see now how bad they are.

And what worries me more is that he has similar stats in AHL than Eller. Does that mean Eller is as "good" as Maxwell ?

The more I write, the more depressed I am

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 08:06 AM
  #10
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
I really liked him in camp 2 years ago.

Might just need an opportunity to find himself in the bigs. He's got good speed and can make plays at a fast-pace.

His future is definately at center, since he doesn't seem to be able to muck it up along the boards or just have the puck on his stick to release it.

He's a work in progress and was red-hot at some point in Hamilton, so to write him off right now is kind of ridiculous. I'm not sure he'll ever make it on the Habs, but I'm pretty sure he'll find a niche somewhere in the league.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 09:00 AM
  #11
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 10,441
vCash: 506
Montreal's top-6 is pretty full, and if there's one player missing I don't thing Maxwell gets the spot, which is unfortunate because an offensive player isn't going to do anything offensively in a checking role. He's screwed because they brought him up to plug holes and he didn't do that great because that's not his role, but because of that they're not going to give him the top-6 minutes. He should have stayed in the AHL for a couple more seasons and join the team in a top-6 role directly, if possible.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 09:08 AM
  #12
Aurel Joliat
Registered User
 
Aurel Joliat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
Maxwell regress since his first camp
I see nothing in him but let's see... Time plays against him

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 09:52 AM
  #13
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
He could run a power play very well in Junior. He reminded me of Mike Green. He is a beautiful passer who needs skill players especially shooters to pass to. Plays a good 2 way game. Seems to lack a sense of agency or confidence. Will take a hit to make a play but doesnt initiate. Isnt shy in a craig janney way. All the skill in the world. Once in Junior he was making great passes but the other players were flubbing the play and I was getting restless. He ended up making a beautiful rush on the wing and blasted the puck past a surprised goalie. It was reminiscent of the flower(hehe) or Russ Courtnall. I wondered why didnt he do that more often. In the NHL he was often in a position to shoot but ended up passing to a plugger who did nothing.


Last edited by toshiro: 06-19-2010 at 09:59 AM.
toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 10:06 AM
  #14
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
In Junior he played a great 2 way game because of speed and great anticipation similar to Carbonneau. He was very good at killing penalties. He often played in his own end too much 5 on 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Montreal's top-6 is pretty full, and if there's one player missing I don't thing Maxwell gets the spot, which is unfortunate because an offensive player isn't going to do anything offensively in a checking role. He's screwed because they brought him up to plug holes and he didn't do that great because that's not his role, but because of that they're not going to give him the top-6 minutes. He should have stayed in the AHL for a couple more seasons and join the team in a top-6 role directly, if possible.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:07 AM
  #15
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Completely agreed.
I really don't mind that he has no point, but the fact that he showed nothing special really bothers me. D'Agostini, Pax, Chips, Sergei or Hossa debuts impressed me much more. And see now how bad they are.

And what worries me more is that he has similar stats in AHL than Eller. Does that mean Eller is as "good" as Maxwell ?


The more I write, the more depressed I am
You have absolutely no clue how to evaluate/assess a hockey player. No clue whatsoever.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:15 AM
  #16
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
He could run a power play very well in Junior. He reminded me of Mike Green. He is a beautiful passer who needs skill players especially shooters to pass to. Plays a good 2 way game. Seems to lack a sense of agency or confidence. Will take a hit to make a play but doesnt initiate. Isnt shy in a craig janney way. All the skill in the world. Once in Junior he was making great passes but the other players were flubbing the play and I was getting restless. He ended up making a beautiful rush on the wing and blasted the puck past a surprised goalie. It was reminiscent of the flower(hehe) or Russ Courtnall. I wondered why didnt he do that more often. In the NHL he was often in a position to shoot but ended up passing to a plugger who did nothing.
This is true....for the NHL. Has played fairly well in Hamilton, still nothing special but then again nothing bad. He will make the NHL and should be at worst a fourth liner ala Metro.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:24 AM
  #17
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukimono View Post
Another Timmins gem
I like this but hate it at the same time.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 12:19 PM
  #18
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,130
vCash: 50
He's probably a non-aggressive person, and when he came to the NHL, was initimidated and instead of playing his game, he played a simple game. Never see him hold onto the puck for more than a second. Honestly, I think some people want something so much, when they get it, they are afraid to use it.

Some people can dream of getting a certain car, when you get it...you may not even want to drive it. You wash it every day, you barely drive it. You're just scared to break it. Maxwell looks that way, he looks as if he doesn't want to make that big mistake and not get another chance. There's absolutely no question he's a good kid, has decent size, two-way ability and speed, but he seems scared to show what he's got at the NHL level. There's a lot of pressure in montreal, the fans, the city, stanley cup expectations. I think he's trying to keep it simple. When he stops playing it simple and takes some chances...he'll prob be a good 3rd line center or 2nd line center.


Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 06-19-2010 at 12:42 PM.
LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 12:40 PM
  #19
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,386
vCash: 500
Good analysis LyricalLyricist, it could be the case here with Maxwell. But with Eller's acquisition and us drafting in the last draft Leblanc, he'll have to start playing his real game at the NHL level quickly because those 2 and possibly others (Desharnais) could steal his spot on the depth chart.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 12:52 PM
  #20
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,020
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
You have absolutely no clue how to evaluate/assess a hockey player. No clue whatsoever.
but they have similar stats How else so you evaluate talent

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:15 PM
  #21
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
he looks like a lil kid afraid...when hes on the canadiens
I feel pitty for him :/

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:19 PM
  #22
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,443
vCash: 500
Think soft Eller with confidence issues and that's pretty much him.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:25 PM
  #23
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,020
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Think soft Eller with confidence issues and that's pretty much him.
And you've watched how many games that Eller has played?
How have so many become an experts on a player ranked #2 on st Louis, where St louis is ranked top 3 in prospects? Ya maxwell and Eller are similar because...

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:36 PM
  #24
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
And you've watched how many games that Eller has played?
How have so many become an experts on a player ranked #2 on st Louis, where St louis is ranked top 3 in prospects? Ya maxwell and Eller are similar because...
They're not that similar as I didn't say so. Watching clips of Eller though, you can see he's in the same two-way play making centre mold. They're both cerebral players, the difference is how Eller plays with more confidence and physicality, which makes a big difference at the NHL level.

Maxwell was once ranked #4 on our list btw, he's not that bad. If he can gain some confidence he would be a decent NHLer too.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:40 PM
  #25
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,020
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
They're not that similar as I didn't say so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Think soft Eller with confidence issues and that's pretty much him.
Watching clips of Eller though, you can see he's in the same two-way play making centre mold. They're both cerebral players, the difference is how Eller plays with more confidence and physicality, which makes a big difference at the NHL level.

Maxwell was once ranked #4 on our list btw, he's not that bad. If he can gain some confidence he would be a decent NHLer too.
When you say think of another player, you are comparing them by making similarities. Not that I'm an English teach or anything.

Watching clips still means nothing to me, a players plays 10-20 mins a game, not just a 1-2 min clip you see. I want to watch Eller play with his new teammates before I can pass judgment on his style of play.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.