HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Parent traded for rights to Hamhuis & conditional pick!

Old
06-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

vCash: 500
If I had to guess:

Hammy is going to want 4.5 million.

Either Coburn or Carle are gone.
Shed salary somehow by shedding an expensive forward.
Replace with experienced 5-6th slot defensemen sign / trades.
Round out the roster with remainder of cap gained by shedding an expensive forward.
Address goalie situation.

Flyotes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:14 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaspari View Post
i agree with you on colburn to vancouver. i posted the following on the main board.

first,i hope holmgren has a deal in place to move players . from a negotiating position he is very vulnerable. if he signs hamhuis, teams know he has to move someone and will low ball him since he must move salary.(eg on the scotty upshall trade he was forced to move salary and had to give up a second round pick because he was not negotiating from strenght).

second, in a salary capped league as montreal showed in the halak trade, teams can not take on addtional salary . teams are looking for cheap prospects. i believe any move holmgrens makes will be for prospects or first year players.

third, i believe holmgren moves colburn and picks up two prospects one of whom is a first round pick and and a decent prospect. i believe the montreal / st louis deal will be the model.

my perdiction colburn to vancouver for schneider( the money and lenght of contract is right) and cody hodgson. the reason the trade has not been announced it that colburn is negotiating with vancouver
Am I bad person for discounting opinions when players names are repeatedly spelled wrong?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I do like this trade, but I can't shake the feeling that we shouldn't have given up on a young defenseman so quickly. But, that said.. this seems like it may be an upgrade.. I guess we will have to wait and see.
There's another way to look at it, tho. With the current state of the flyers D. We have, starting with last year, a 3-4 year window to win a cup. Hamhuis gives us a better chance in that window than Parent does.

Also, Hamhuis is no old man at 27

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:16 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2452
According to the Vancouver Province newspaper, Nashville wanted Cody Hodgson and a first-round draft pick from the Canucks at the deadline.

The only horse to win the Florida Derby, the Kentucky Derby and Breeders Cup Classic. Sire to multiple Grade 1 champions. The last horse to sire a winner in each Triple Crown race. Grandsire to American Pharoah.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:17 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaspari View Post
my perdiction colburn to vancouver for schneider( the money and lenght of contract is right) and cody hodgson. the reason the trade has not been announced it that colburn is negotiating with vancouver[/I]
2 signed 1st round DP's for an RFA like Coburn?

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:18 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
According to the Vancouver Province newspaper, Nashville wanted Cody Hodgson and a first-round draft pick from the Canucks at the deadline.
and the plot thickens. . . think teams are more inclined to offer a trade to the Flyers for Dan H's rights BECAUSE he could potentially be a Flyer now and they all missed the boat or will teams not really care and move on. The Flyers keep doing this and keep getting the guys in the top 10 free agents.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:21 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Nashville trades Jason Arnott to New Jersey for Matt Halischuk and 2011 2nd round pick.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=532100

Old
06-19-2010, 02:22 PM
jb**

If they dont sign hamuis by say the draft i hope they are smart enough to then move his rights laong to get soemthing back. Not fan of moving assets for a ufa.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:22 PM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
There's another way to look at it, tho. With the current state of the flyers D. We have, starting with last year, a 3-4 year window to win a cup. Hamhuis gives us a better chance in that window than Parent does.

Also, Hamhuis is no old man at 27
Yea, we needed this, we can't depend on four D men next season.

God, I can't wait for hockey to start again... I had another dream of the Flyers - Canadians series last night.... I NEED HOCKEY!

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:28 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Hamhuis is from the same home town as Jim and Joe Watson -- Smithers, BC -- population of 5,509.

Old
06-19-2010, 02:31 PM
dgaspari

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
if vancouver had Hamhuis for the playoffs, would they have beaten chicago?

if they still need a defenseman to challenge the blackhawks , coburn would be the answer and i still think the asking price of Hodgson and a first round / scheinder would be fair.

dgaspari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:38 PM
clockwise

INK INK INK. Homer got his man.. Lot of people criticize him for being a self opening pinata but I give him credit where is due.

I like Hambone, now get a eff'n goalie who's name doesn't rhyme with Turco! No more picking them up at 69th street.

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:41 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Maybe deal Carle for a goalie?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:43 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Great trade.

Hamhuis sounds excited to be a Flyer, so I expect he'll sign in the coming days.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:45 PM
UkFlyer

Can somebody answer this for me please.

If a player is soon to be a UFA then why would any team trade away somebody for their rights?

For example if a deal is in place for hamhuis then it would be more beneficial for hamhuis if he waits to free agency and we keep parent or trade him

UkFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:45 PM
MsConduct11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
O'Brien is horrid and was suspended by the team during the playoffs.
No he's not horrid, he's exactly what he's supposed to be. Actually exceeding expectations. Very solid #5 guy. We need some toughness back there. And his "suspension" was figured out, and wasn't in playoffs. He's a character guy in the dressing room and imo someone like him is needed on this team.

And also he stepped up to the degree that he was arguably Vans best or second best dman in the post season. Not bad for a "horrid" #5 dman. The probablem WE have with our 5th and 6th dmen is that thats all they are, AT BEST. They cannot step up, they cannot be counted on even a few minutes a game. Watching our last pairing dmen almost gave me coronaries everytime they stepped out on the ice.

Last edited by MsConduct11: 06-19-2010 at 04:02 PM.
MsConduct11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:48 PM
BrotherlyLove

Hopefully we can sign him

BrotherlyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:49 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UkFlyer View Post

If a player is soon to be a UFA then why would any team trade away somebody for their rights?

For example if a deal is in place for hamhuis then it would be more beneficial for hamhuis if he waits to free agency and we keep parent or trade him
It's an opportunity for the Flyers to be the only team to negotiate with Hamhuis prior to July 1st. He obviously wasn't going back to Nashville, so that's why they would make the trade.

The Flyers did something similar in 2007 when they traded a first round draft pick for the rights to negotiate with Hartnell and Timonen.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:52 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:

Up until July 1, the team with his rights has exclusive negotiating rights. Right now, only the Flyers can negotiate with Hamhuis. It is a gamble if the player decides to test the free agent market but the Flyers (and any other team) could still sign him July 1 or later. Management probably has a sense in knowing they can reach an agreement.

Old
06-19-2010, 02:55 PM
MsConduct11

Quote:

Deals like this are rarely made without an unofficial agreement, so its likely that the flyers are 90% or more sure they can sign him and most likely had it worked out before

MsConduct11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:02 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Holy **** awesome pick up by the Flyers!

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:03 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Trade Carle

The dude is overpaid and overrated and his value is high thanks to Pronger. Sell high! Coburn is a much better D man to keep b/c he's a horse and can log big minutes. Yeah he wasn't exactly a rock back there during the regular season and the past couple of seasons he's had some issues but to me b/c of his size and skating and ability to play hard minutes..he's the one to keep. I know he was slowed last year with that hip and this year up until the playoffs it was a mental thing although who knows if that hip nagged him as well. In short, the Flyers should pay Coburn about 1.5 more and then move him as the 5th defenseman with the ability to play and of the other 4 slots when need be. Carle would be good out west....leverage him for a goalie. Anyway, Holmgren is not done and can't wait till friday although maybe more will happen sooner....leverage Carter as well. Carle and Carter for a goalie and another winger and if worried about size down the middle try and get Zeus from LA. The dude is an ironman and plays hurt and 80 games a year. That 5M of Carter's and 3M of Carle and then some of the extra cap cash still around even with Hamhuis at 4M can net 3 nice assets instead of two with Carle and Carter....Do it Holmgren..find a way to round out this team and get back to the the finals before this 2 year window closes...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:09 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
The dude is overpaid and overrated and his value is high thanks to Pronger. Sell high! Coburn is a much better D man to keep b/c he's a horse and can log big minutes. Yeah he wasn't exactly a rock back there during the regular season and the past couple of seasons he's had some issues but to me b/c of his size and skating and ability to play hard minutes..he's the one to keep. I know he was slowed last year with that hip and this year up until the playoffs it was a mental thing although who knows if that hip nagged him as well. In short, the Flyers should pay Coburn about 1.5 more and then move him as the 5th defenseman with the ability to play and of the other 4 slots when need be. Carle would be good out west....leverage him for a goalie. Anyway, Holmgren is not done and can't wait till friday although maybe more will happen sooner....leverage Carter as well. Carle and Carter for a goalie and another winger and if worried about size down the middle try and get Zeus from LA. The dude is an ironman and plays hurt and 80 games a year. That 5M of Carter's and 3M of Carle and then some of the extra cap cash still around even with Hamhuis at 4M can net 3 nice assets instead of two with Carle and Carter....Do it Holmgren..find a way to round out this team and get back to the the finals before this 2 year window closes...
Carle at 3.5M per year is a way better value than Coburn at 2.8M per year, which is what you seem to be suggesting.

If one of Carle or Coburn is moved, my vote is for Coburn. I wouldn't mind an un-matched offer sheet to be honest.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:12 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
Carle at 3.5M per year is a way better value than Coburn at 2.8M per year, which is what you seem to be suggesting.

If one of Carle or Coburn is moved, my vote is for Coburn. I wouldn't mind an un-matched offer sheet to be honest.
A 3M offer sheet (which according to you we shouldn't accept) would only get us a 2nd.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

So all we need to do is sign Hamhuis and Coburn and we are done for defense this season.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote