HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto - Buffalo (Kaberle, obviously)

Old
06-19-2010, 09:25 PM
EucaLEAFtys

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ementy View Post
I have never seen a worse troll than Jfried. He overvalues everything exept what is comming back to him. Not even an exaggeration on average he views Torontos players 3 or 4x more the value than they actually are. I honostly feel he just posts to try and piss people off.
jfried has had the occasional decent post but his/her/its posts are usually as you described.

Personally, I just find it best not to respond to jfried at all.

As to the OP, this topic is like the annoying neighbor who just won't leave you alone. I highly doubt that Buffalo would want to do that deal for two reasons:

1) They don't want to move Kassian. Buffalo views Kassian in the same way as Toronto views Kadri. Neither would be moved unless it's for an overpayment.

2) Kulemin is still unsigned and apparently wants too much money, or so I keep hearing/reading.

While Buffalo may want Kaberle, they most likely won't get him in a deal like that.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 04:32 AM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard regarding Stafford.

I bet you remember this...

He has great upside and potential but just doesn't like it here.
I like Stafford myself but I could do that to Toronto and Pogge.

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 05:03 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 080 View Post
Who wants Patrick Kaleta? The guys a dime-a-dozen thug. What would your thread title be "Kaleta to Washington for 7th rounder?" No one gives a **** about a deal that small. He's not an impact player. That's like the Leaf fans making tons of John Mitchell trade threads -- no one cares.
Haters always gotta hate... I would take that thug over 90% of the ****** Laughs roster so go do us all a favor and go start your car in your garage and take a nap, K? Thanks.

As for the value of Kaberle, Stafford+1st is more then enough for a rental, anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional...

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 07:33 AM
sheps88

I think something along the lines of Stafford and Kassian will get the job done. It is interesting now with Kassian being charged for assault. The Sabres broke off contract talks with the kid so Im guessing he is on the outs. Kaberle would probably resign in Buffalo it is obviously a better situation then TO right now.

It is only a matter of a week or so before all us armchair GMs can see what will transpire.

sheps88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 07:41 AM
HarriSateri

Quote:
Originally Posted by EucaLEAFtys View Post
jfried has had the occasional decent post but
1) They don't want to move Kassian. Buffalo views Kassian in the same way as Toronto views Kadri. Neither would be moved unless it's for an overpayment.
I don't think it's that as much as it's if Kassian reaches his potential as a Leaf it would make it that much more difficult for the Sabres to play vs the Leafs as he would physically manhandle us. Similar to Boston trading Lucic to Montreal.

We probably view Ennis the same way you guys view Kadri, not Kassian.

HarriSateri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 07:43 AM
IrMitchell*

I guess I'm the only one who would rather Kulemin over Stafford?

Kaberle for Buf 1st is all it takes for me.

IrMitchell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Doctor Perry Cox*

So...

24 year old future Avery/Carcillo type jackass.
Cement handed pylon with a criminal record
High end third liner/low end second liner
1st Round pick

for

A four time all-star and Nik Kulemin

Do not want, kthxbye.

Doctor Perry Cox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Doctor Perry Cox*

I still think a Kaberle+ for Semin or Richards or a Kaberle for Gagne deal makes most sense.

Old
06-20-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
Haters always gotta hate... I would take that thug over 90% of the ****** Laughs roster so go do us all a favor and go start your car in your garage and take a nap, K? Thanks.

As for the value of Kaberle, Stafford+1st is more then enough for a rental, anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional...
I agree with you. I would as well. But my point is when do threads about third- or fourth-line players ever get made? They don't. Because the player is fairly insignificant and the return is as well. You completely missed the point of my post.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Doctor Perry Cox*

The Coyotes got a first round pick for a month of Ladislav Nagy. We can't get one for a year of Tomas Kaberle?

I hate how the Halak deal is the comparison. Halak got a top prospect who projects to be a very solid top six forward for a guy who has no contract and has never played a whole season. If it weren't for the fact that their starting goalie is now Carey Price, Montreal got a very good deal.

Old
06-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Doctor Perry Cox*

P.S.: I'd much rather get an established player that can help us now than a first round pick. That's the entire point of trading Kaberle, is to get a forward.

Old
06-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Leafs03

How come theres so much Kaberle haters here, the guy has played season after season with a **** team and still has recked up the points. Imagine him playing with a great team... The guy has alot in him. **** Sabres, they have nothing i like anyways. Kassian is the only guy id like on the leafs, the rest are chokers, just like how sabres choke everytime. Miller is the **** in that team, the rest of the team sucks. Sabres fans say leaf fans overrate there players but they don't see themselves, sayinng keleta(spellin) and Stafford are great lol. wake up losers.

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:42 AM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstertainment View Post
I like Stafford myself but I could do that to Toronto and Pogge.
Fine, do this to Wash then.

The kid has an unbelievable set of hands and that alone shows great potential.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Ritzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post

I hope that was intentional. Too funny.

Ritzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Maj. Conn Smythe

tim connolly

Double post see below.

Last edited by 1927: 06-20-2010 at 11:14 AM.
1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Maj. Conn Smythe

tim connolly

The Buffalo Sabres would be looking to deal within their division if making any transactions with the Toronto Maple Leafs. With Tomas Kaberle being the best trading piece in this transaction, it will not necessarily take an overpayment to land his services, but it will take some decent assets to trade him within the division. That is a given in any transaction, and we only need to look at what the Maple Leafs had to pay for Phil Kessel (RFA no less, not even signed) for Peter Chiarelli to trade him to a rival team.

Brian Burke is looking for top six wingers with size to compliment the center positional players of Tyler Bozak, Mikhail Grabovski, and Christian Hanson and with the possibility of Nazem Kadri being called up down the middle.

The best players the Sabres have in the top six are:

Tomas Vanek - $7,14 million (4 years)
Jason Pominville - $5.3 million (4 years)
Tim Connolly - $4.5 million (1 year)
Derek Roy - $4 million (2 years)

The only wingers of some decent size are Vanek and Pominville, but these two players are still needed for the Sabres, plus their cap hit/salaries are not the best for what they have produced in the last couple of seasons. Derek Roy is a small forward and Connolly is another center the Leafs do not need, especially one that disappears in the playoffs and is injury prone. The only other players are Stafford and Gaustad, but they are borderline second line or third line players which the Leafs have an abundance of these types of players.

The first pick for Buffalo in the upcoming draft is 23rd overall which is a slot that makes it difficult to pick a top end prospect. In addition, Zack Kassian is a nice large forward any team would love to have, but at the same time Kassian is not an elite prospect. The only way a trade between Buffalo and Toronto happens for Kaberle is if all other teamís offers are mediocre at best. Even though Kaberle has one year left on his contract, he is still signed to a cap friendly amount, and is not considered a full out rental.

Peter Chiarelli negotiated two first round picks and a second round pick for a difficult to sign RFA player to be traded to a division rival. Brian Burke will expect to negotiate with Darcy Regier in the same manner expecting quite a bit from a division rival. Will Burke get what he is asking for? Probably not, but he will get something either close to what he wants or somewhere in the middle at worst. There are some Leaf fans that don't hold high hopes of getting a lot for Kaberle, but we do expect something of decent value. By adding Kulemin to the trade the price would be a lot higher for a decent young defensive forward in RFA status to be traded within the division.

The bases for any trade will most likely start at:

23rd overall, Zack Kassian ++ for Kaberle AND Kulemin to be traded within the division.

I just don't see the Leafs and Sabres as good trading partners at this time because Burke is looking for immediate help this upcoming season in the top six with scoring and size. The Sabres may only be able to offer Stafford, and the rest in prospects or picks. It would be a difficult trade to make for Brian Burke to accept a trade within the division.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 12:05 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
I guess I'm the only one who would rather Kulemin over Stafford?
Kaberle for Buf 1st is all it takes for me.
I'm with you on that one.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 12:20 PM
CaptPantalones

Eklund says a deal between the teams wont get done, so it must mean its close lol

* The Sabres and Leafs are not going to get a Kaberle deal done. Look elsewhere for Kaberle now I was told.

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:11 PM
sickest flow bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by oils4hallseyesonly View Post
what point of a 1 year rental you do not understand about Kaberle
One year doesn't classify as a rental. Kovalchuk was a rental. Hell if Dominic Moore can get 2nd's I'm sure Kaberle can get something similar to this.

sickest flow bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:35 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927 View Post
The Buffalo Sabres would be looking to deal within their division if making any transactions with the Toronto Maple Leafs. With Tomas Kaberle being the best trading piece in this transaction, it will not necessarily take an overpayment to land his services, but it will take some decent assets to trade him within the division. That is a given in any transaction, and we only need to look at what the Maple Leafs had to pay for Phil Kessel (RFA no less, not even signed) for Peter Chiarelli to trade him to a rival team.

Brian Burke is looking for top six wingers with size to compliment the center positional players of Tyler Bozak, Mikhail Grabovski, and Christian Hanson and with the possibility of Nazem Kadri being called up down the middle.

The best players the Sabres have in the top six are:

Tomas Vanek - $7,14 million (4 years)
Jason Pominville - $5.3 million (4 years)
Tim Connolly - $4.5 million (1 year)
Derek Roy - $4 million (2 years)

The only wingers of some decent size are Vanek and Pominville, but these two players are still needed for the Sabres, plus their cap hit/salaries are not the best for what they have produced in the last couple of seasons. Derek Roy is a small forward and Connolly is another center the Leafs do not need, especially one that disappears in the playoffs and is injury prone. The only other players are Stafford and Gaustad, but they are borderline second line or third line players which the Leafs have an abundance of these types of players.

The first pick for Buffalo in the upcoming draft is 23rd overall which is a slot that makes it difficult to pick a top end prospect. In addition, Zack Kassian is a nice large forward any team would love to have, but at the same time Kassian is not an elite prospect. The only way a trade between Buffalo and Toronto happens for Kaberle is if all other team’s offers are mediocre at best. Even though Kaberle has one year left on his contract, he is still signed to a cap friendly amount, and is not considered a full out rental.

Peter Chiarelli negotiated two first round picks and a second round pick for a difficult to sign RFA player to be traded to a division rival. Brian Burke will expect to negotiate with Darcy Regier in the same manner expecting quite a bit from a division rival. Will Burke get what he is asking for? Probably not, but he will get something either close to what he wants or somewhere in the middle at worst. There are some Leaf fans that don't hold high hopes of getting a lot for Kaberle, but we do expect something of decent value. By adding Kulemin to the trade the price would be a lot higher for a decent young defensive forward in RFA status to be traded within the division.

The bases for any trade will most likely start at:

23rd overall, Zack Kassian ++ for Kaberle AND Kulemin to be traded within the division.
I just don't see the Leafs and Sabres as good trading partners at this time because Burke is looking for immediate help this upcoming season in the top six with scoring and size. The Sabres may only be able to offer Stafford, and the rest in prospects or picks. It would be a difficult trade to make for Brian Burke to accept a trade within the division.
There's one problem with that....what's the incentive for the Leafs to do it? Kessel was traded because the B's couldn't come to terms and then filled up the roster to the point where they could no longer accomodate his salary. Arnott (who could be viewed as a comparable to Kaberle in terms of situation), was traded because the Predators problably have some other plans for his $4.5m.

Toronto isn't in a position where they are looking to dump Kaberle. There's simply no better way to spend $4.25m in the Leafs arsenal of options, especially a blueline which is made up of Phaneuf, Beauchemin and Komisarek in the top 4. There will be a bunch of Leafs fans who say Kovalchuk, but Burke has repeatedly stated he won't be in that race and even if clearing $4.25 off the blueline is neccessary to make it happen, there is a guy called Mike Komisarek who makes $4.5m.

The reason to trade Kaberle is simple, he can problably get us a significant upgrade up front. Buffalo just doesn't have the right players to make that happen. Would any of Connolly, Roy, Pominville, Stafford, Kassian or the 23rd overall be welcomed assets? Absolutely. They just aren't worth being used as a centrepiece for a deal that involves Kaberle leaving Toronto. If Buffalo wants Kaberle, you've gotta get us different assets, so it most likely has to be a 3-way deal.

Here's actually a decent idea for a 3-way deal.... only problem is that St. Louis would have to resign Stafford next year which if he plays well, could be expensive.

To Toronto: Brad Boyes, 20th Overall Pick
To St. Louis: Drew Stafford, Luca Caputi, Nathan Gerbe
To Buffalo: Kaberle

Last edited by seanlinden: 06-20-2010 at 02:02 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzHockey View Post
What???? Stafford, Butler, Sekera, 1st round pick, Kassian, Adam, Brennan, Schiestel, etc. I'm sure they could work something out.
jfried has been known to overvalue Kaberle. Take it with a grain of salt. The Sabres 1st isn't that low, it could possibly get us a Niederreiter or Jeff Skinner if both end up falling around there. If you take out Stafford and Kaleta to the OPs proposal and have Kaberle extended and Kulemin at a great contract....I think its possible. Fans might not like it, but its possible.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Kaberle is worth Stafford + 2nd given his 1 year left on contract

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Perry Cox View Post
So...

24 year old future Avery/Carcillo type jackass.
Cement handed pylon with a criminal record
High end third liner/low end second liner
1st Round pick

for

A four time all-star and Nik Kulemin

Do not want, kthxbye.
Okay fine, you can keep those godsends and continue to miss the playoffs.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:45 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLeafs View Post
jfried has been known to overvalue Kaberle. Take it with a grain of salt. The Sabres 1st isn't that low, it could possibly get us a Niederreiter or Jeff Skinner if both end up falling around there. If you take out Stafford and Kaleta to the OPs proposal and have Kaberle extended and Kulemin at a great contract....I think its possible. Fans might not like it, but its possible.
wait...so your concept is Kassian and a 1st for Kaberle and Kulemin?

That is not even remotely close to fair value.

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Fine, do this to Wash then.

The kid has an unbelievable set of hands and that alone shows great potential.
Or this one.

He had a down year this year but he still has tons of potential. He would easily fit into Toronto's top six next year anyway.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote