HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Coburn on the trade Block?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-19-2010, 01:12 PM
  #1
carlweezer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,377
vCash: 500
Coburn on the trade Block?

With the Flyers trading for and obviously the imminent signing Dan Hamhuis does this mean the end of the line for Coburn? Financially it just doesnt add up as Hamhuis will demand at least 3 to 3.5 mil/year

Capgeek has the Flyers close to 50 mil without having signed Hamhuis or Coburn and without a legitimate starting goalie and need to either sign or replace Carcillo, Asham, Krajicek, Powe..

Can we open up the Cory Schneider for Coburn talks again?

carlweezer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:14 PM
  #2
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,878
vCash: 500
Or it means Carle will be dealt. Or it means the Flyers paid a premium to only find out that Hamhuis will be testing UFA.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:16 PM
  #3
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Matt Carle better be traded. I want too see Coburn here to play w/ Pronger.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:23 PM
  #4
carlweezer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,377
vCash: 500
my thoughts on Carle,

Philly can trade him but will not get as much return or value than if they traded Coburn. Carle will only get a back of pucks in return, it reminds me of the SJ-Van trade last summer where SJ ahd tog et rid of Ehrhoff to make room for Heatley's salary. In the end Van traded away 2 players that will never make the NHL for a very solid d-man.

So Philly can trade Carle and get nothing in return
or
Philly can trade Coburn and get good prospects in return

carlweezer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:24 PM
  #5
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,581
vCash: 500
I doubt it. That's just a really stupid move by Holmgrem if he does ship him out.

Things more likely to happen:

-Carle being dealt
-Hamhuis not being signed
-Heck, I'll honestly go ahead and say that Carter being dealt makes more sense then Coburn.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:25 PM
  #6
carlweezer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Or it means Carle will be dealt. Or it means the Flyers paid a premium to only find out that Hamhuis will be testing UFA.

The Flyers have obviously had conversations with Hamhuis already (Philly would have to sign off on this) otherwise the Flyers wouldnt gamble in losing Parent! This is like when last year with J-bo and his rights, im sure as hell that teams are given permission to talk to RFA's/UFA's before their rights are traded..

carlweezer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:26 PM
  #7
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,737
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
No. I see Carle going before Coburn. Coburn apparently wants a good amount of money, and I'd give it to him. Sign him to the contract Carle has now and dump Carle.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:29 PM
  #8
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,531
vCash: 500
Edm needs another top 4 dman and I think Coburn would look nice in our top 4. What would Phi want for him from Edm.

Phi
Nash
45th over all

Edm
Coburn

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:29 PM
  #9
carlweezer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I doubt it. That's just a really stupid move by Holmgrem if he does ship him out.

Things more likely to happen:

-Carle being dealt
-Hamhuis not being signed
-Heck, I'll honestly go ahead and say that Carter being dealt makes more sense then Coburn.
If Philly trades Carter then they will definitely be going very very defensive!

Pronger-Coburn
Hamhuis-Timmonen

carlweezer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:31 PM
  #10
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Change the thread title to Carle

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:33 PM
  #11
pacoz7411
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa/Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
. . .

Carle had, statistically speaking, the far superior season this year, while Coburn's progress was inconsistent. Moreover, I think Carle quietly impressed a lot of GM's and scouts in the league with his post-season play (right up until the last game, that is). So I'm not sure I'm in agreement that Coburn's value would be that much higher on the trade market right now, even at Carle's $3.8M price tag, which while not that "out of whack" with his production, isn't really a bargain either. I see the Flyers qualifying Coburn or signing him to a 2-3 deal worth about 1.8-2.2/season and shopping Carle, once Hamhuis is locked up.

Unless, of course (cue beating of dead horse here) they trade Carter to make room.

pacoz7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:41 PM
  #12
Goulet17
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 500
Philly would likely have to take salary back in any Carle deal, so it may not help them that much with their cap situation.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:43 PM
  #13
carlweezer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
Philly would likely have to take salary back in any Carle deal, so it may not help them that much with their cap situation.

not really,

To SJ
Patrick White
Daniel Rahimi

To Van
Christian Ehrhoff

comparable salaries are Ehrhoff and Carle and even comparable players...Van traded SJ absoloutely nothing but 2 scrubs for Ehrhoff because SJ needed cap space

carlweezer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:45 PM
  #14
alx83*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
Philly would likely have to take salary back in any Carle deal, so it may not help them that much with their cap situation.
No they won't Carle may be over payed a bit, but he's a top four defenseman. Not to mention, you can package him with Carter to a team that needs offense...

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:51 PM
  #15
sandman08
Registered User
 
sandman08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hyderabad, India
Country: India
Posts: 2,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlweezer View Post
The Flyers have obviously had conversations with Hamhuis already (Philly would have to sign off on this) otherwise the Flyers wouldnt gamble in losing Parent! This is like when last year with J-bo and his rights, im sure as hell that teams are given permission to talk to RFA's/UFA's before their rights are traded..
not according to this:
Quote:
Real_ESPNLeBrun

Hamhuis agent just told me no contract in place with Flyers so this wasn't pre-arranged. Still though, lots of time for Flyers.

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:04 PM
  #16
WapakJacketsFan
 
WapakJacketsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
What does Carle's contract look like? And what needs does Philly have that need addressed?

WapakJacketsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:05 PM
  #17
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlweezer View Post
With the Flyers trading for and obviously the imminent signing Dan Hamhuis does this mean the end of the line for Coburn? Financially it just doesnt add up as Hamhuis will demand at least 3 to 3.5 mil/year

Capgeek has the Flyers close to 50 mil without having signed Hamhuis or Coburn and without a legitimate starting goalie and need to either sign or replace Carcillo, Asham, Krajicek, Powe..

Can we open up the Cory Schneider for Coburn talks again?
They Flyers have $8.8 million in cap space as it stands. Our UFA's are gone (maybe Powe re-signs). The RFA's will be re-signed, except for maybe Coburn now.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:06 PM
  #18
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
Philly would likely have to take salary back in any Carle deal, so it may not help them that much with their cap situation.
Why?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:08 PM
  #19
ELab2
Registered User
 
ELab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlantic City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,348
vCash: 500
Coburn and Carle both have problems value wise. Carle is a bit expensive and he's been traded a ton of times. Coburn may want a big pay increase and he's been up and down A LOT in the last couple of years.

I don't think either guy can be traded to address a specific team need in an adequate way. So I'm hoping that if they are really planning on addressing those needs they'll package either player in another trade. A Carter and Coburn/Carle package would be very very valuable.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:09 PM
  #20
Bejamin1*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
I'll post the same thing I posted in the other thread here.

I'll say it first. Timonen is the guy who will be moved.

Carle - 25
Coburn - 25
Hamhuis - 27
---------------------------------
Timonen - 35
Pronger - 35

Timonen is as wonderful a mobile all around D-Man as you can find but he's also expensive and getting up there in age. He probably has 2-3 good years left. Hamhuis replaces most of what he brings for less money.

Honestly you HF people seriously think they're going to trade Coburn or Carle? The guys who are 25 and are both coming off solid seasons & playoffs? Sure you might improve your team for a 1-2 year window but after that you'll have to look in the mirror and realize you gave away your quality 25 year old top four D-Man to hold onto a guy who is now 37 and done.

Bejamin1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:10 PM
  #21
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
Coburn and Carle both have problems value wise. Carle is a bit expensive and he's been traded a ton of times. Coburn may want a big pay increase and he's been up and down A LOT in the last couple of years.

I don't think either guy can be traded to address a specific team need in an adequate way. So I'm hoping that if they are really planning on addressing those needs they'll package either player in another trade. A Carter and Coburn/Carle package would be very very valuable.

I really would not be surprised to see Carter and one of those going to L.A. now.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:13 PM
  #22
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,814
vCash: 500
Pronger-Coburn
Carle-Timonen
Hamhuis-Bartulis/Syvret/Kraijeck

Sure as hell wouldn't want to play against that if I were a forward.

48 million in cap space used up, 4 forwards(to get the whole gang back...really probably 2), 3 defensemen and a starting goalie to sign, even assuming Hamhuis wants 3.5, that's still 6.5 for 4 (or 2) bottom line forwards, 2 6/7th defensemen and a goalie. Not absurd, unless Holmgren has to operate within the confines of an internal cap all the sudden.

Pick 2 forwards for depth:
Carcillo - 1.25?
Asham - .75
Powe - .75?
Pyorala - .75?

Pick 2 more defensemen:
Coburn - 2-2.5
Kraijeck - 1.5
Syvret - 1?

Goalie - 2.5

Not rocket science, all it is is getting some of the RFA players to play ball and not overpaying them.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:14 PM
  #23
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejamin1 View Post
I'll post the same thing I posted in the other thread here.

I'll say it first. Timonen is the guy who will be moved.

Carle - 25
Coburn - 25
Hamhuis - 27
---------------------------------
Timonen - 35
Pronger - 35

Timonen is as wonderful a mobile all around D-Man as you can find but he's also expensive and getting up there in age. He probably has 2-3 good years left. Hamhuis replaces most of what he brings for less money.

Honestly you HF people seriously think they're going to trade Coburn or Carle? The guys who are 25 and are both coming off solid seasons & playoffs? Sure you might improve your team for a 1-2 year window but after that you'll have to look in the mirror and realize you gave away your quality 25 year old top four D-Man to hold onto a guy who is now 37 and done.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:15 PM
  #24
Bejamin1*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
How does it make any sense to trade your 25 year old D-Men?

I mean it's not like Philly has a ton of young D coming up the pipeline. Timonen may play well until he's 38-39 but that's a rarity. More likely he's done after the next 2-3 years.

So what do Philly fans want? Three years of Timonen or ten years of Carle/Coburn? Hammy basically is a cheaper and decent replacement for everything Timonen does.

If you trade one of Carle or Coburn then 5 years from now you have only two decent D-Men on your team with Prongs/Timonen retired. That's not smart long-term thinking.

I see the short-term gain of moving Carle/Coburn but long term it's freaking suicide.

Bejamin1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:17 PM
  #25
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WapakJacketsFan View Post
What does Carle's contract look like? And what needs does Philly have that need addressed?
I imagine Hamhuis will cost at least 3.5 million maybe even 4 million. Philly are going to have a great top 4 of Pronger - Carle/Coburn and Hamhuis - Timonen but they're likely going to have a very cheap bottom pairing.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.