HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Hamhuis' Rights to Philly for Parent

Old
06-22-2010, 01:49 AM
MarkMM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
Trading Bieksa for picks before having a replacment is a very dumb idea. Could you read that? Wished there was a middle finger icon.
I'm with you in that I don't think Bieksa is as bad as he's made out to be. Rome at his best is better than Bieksa is at his worst, but I'd want to see more of Rome before I'd be comfortable with moving Bieksa without FIRST getting a replacement.

Basically, Bieksa has offensive ability, he CAN be a tough guy when he feels like it, he's slightly overpaid but not too bad (and certainly not as bad as some out there), but he can be boneheaded defensively and is a poor fit here.

So I'd like to see him traded, and I think we shouldn't be impatient with trading him because we can get value for him, he's got something to offer a team with the right fit, and he may be a player that improves his play with new scenery. But I wouldn't move him until we had a replacement lined up, either through free agency or a trade.

I give Kesler and Burrows a pass for their playoffs due to injury, Bieksa was a big problem, Luongo was worse, but both were affected by Mitchell being out.

IMO.

MarkMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:35 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
I'm with you in that I don't think Bieksa is as bad as he's made out to be. Rome at his best is better than Bieksa is at his worst, but I'd want to see more of Rome before I'd be comfortable with moving Bieksa without FIRST getting a replacement.

Basically, Bieksa has offensive ability, he CAN be a tough guy when he feels like it, he's slightly overpaid but not too bad (and certainly not as bad as some out there), but he can be boneheaded defensively and is a poor fit here.

So I'd like to see him traded, and I think we shouldn't be impatient with trading him because we can get value for him, he's got something to offer a team with the right fit, and he may be a player that improves his play with new scenery. But I wouldn't move him until we had a replacement lined up, either through free agency or a trade.

I give Kesler and Burrows a pass for their playoffs due to injury, Bieksa was a big problem, Luongo was worse, but both were affected by Mitchell being out.

IMO.
I have no problem with trading Bieksa, but like you say, not before we have a replacement or if he's part of a deal that brings back a replacement.

Our playoffs were hurt because of Mitchell being out and Bur and Kes being injured but I just can't bring myself to blame a 4th D man, who was injured for a long time, for the big reason of our failure... if it comes down to that and Bieksa was the reason than we have a much bigger problem than Bieksa and that's the D overall. I think our D will hold us back next year if a true #1 isn't brought in.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:55 AM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck Off View Post
I agree. Similar scheme to what Gillis has overall (valuing young talent, etc..), Gillis is just a better evaluator of talent (IMO) and values offense more while Nonis tried to build the team from the net out. Considering Nonis actually did an adequate job, I always kind of thought of him in the same respect I see Dave Lewis (for an example only) as a coach. Once an assistant, always an assistant. Kind of like Tambellini, which is why I was thrilled he wasn't named GM when Gillis was.

I may be totally wrong on my perceptions. I probably am. But that's just the gut feeling I had about Dave Nonis - Burkies assistant.

Edit - Great points by Mr Canucklehead too in respect to deadline dealing philosophy.
I think you're on the right track. not so much "once an assistant, always an assistant", but because Nonis had been on board the entire time (or so) with Burkie, Nonis no doubt felt a sense of loyalty to the team he inherited. If he was brought in from outside, he might have been more willing to shake things up; fire Crawford (promote Carlyle) and maybe shake up the core with a trade (lord knows they needed it). but coming out of the lockout, we were supposed to be contenders and Nonis felt he owed them one last shot.

but when he got canned, he had set the table expertly. I expect he'll have a much (longer) more successful stint next time he gets hired.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote