HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamhuis' Rights to Philly for Parent

Old
06-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Ernie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Yeah ok. This all assumes they continue with the goaltending quality they have too.

My gut tells me they move Carle or Coburn, and use the money for better goaltending and a slightly better bottom pairing. Their #3-4 d-men were playing way too much.

All this, and they won't even make the playoffs if the recent trend continues!
Maybe, but with so much available on the goaltending market, they may just go with a cheap tandem again. Considering they got good results from Boucher, Leighton, and Emery this season, it's an indication that perhaps they don't need a top of the line goaltender.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:24 PM
rye&ginger

Maybe not top of the line, but someone like Turco would not be a terrible idea with that defense. Or Dan Ellis. They will cost a bit more than a cheap tandem.

Maybe they consider that the Blackhawks and Sharks will both be relatively worse next year, and they will be about the same. At least I do.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:25 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
It's hilarious how similar this is to the Bouwmeester situation last year, where everyone thought it was a guarantee that Bouwmeester was going to sign with the Canucks and then he gets his rights traded.

Well, maybe we dodged a bullet, or maybe he won't sign. To give up a roster player like Parent for the rights of a player that might not even sign though...they must know something we don't.
people wanted him but did anyone really think it was a guarantee?

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 914
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Coburn is now prime to be offer sheeted come July 1st. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the first thing Gillis does on July 1st.

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:27 PM
pitseleh

Yeah, the goalie market should be cheap this season. You have Nabokov, Turco, Mason, Ellis, Emery, Biron, and Theodore as FAs and only Philly, San Jose, and maybe Tampa looking for a starter. Philly should have no problem signing a player for cheap for better play than they got this season.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:32 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Ugh, the other person posted numbers that showed it was possible.

I'm pretty sure Bettman wasn't off by $1m when he estimated the increase. If anything, he went low. Makes for a better story when the actual numbers comes out.

They don't need to give raises to most of their players. Outside of Coburn, they've got their main players locked up through next season.

I love it how people are always so pessimistic about other teams' cap situations, but turn around and be so optimistic about the Canucks situation. If the Canucks could have afforded Hamhuis, so can the Flyers.
My interpretation was that so long as the PA used the multiplier it would go up by $2-million. However, if they don't, it would drop by 5% of $59-million. (Almost $3-million). So if the NHLPA chooses to lessen the escrow the cap will drop slightly.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:47 PM
jimmythescot

It's a shame, but he hasn't actually signed yet. I'm not going to be worried until 70% of the top UFAs have signed with other teams.

If I was one of those UFA defencemen and I wanted a great chance at a cup: this would be one of my top destinations. The forward corps are great, a top 5 (imo) goalie and a good young supporting cast of defenders. Not to mention being able to live in a city like Vancouver.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:08 PM
black ace

While he may sign in Philly, they also got a conditional pick which could be a 2nd if he doesn't and a 7th if he does.

Its not a guarantee.

black ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:15 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by black ace View Post
While he may sign in Philly, they also got a conditional pick which could be a 2nd if he doesn't and a 7th if he does.

Its not a guarantee.
If he signs with another team the Flyers get nothing. It's different than it used to be under the new CBA.

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Dana Murzyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
This is just it - we can pay through the ******* to get Coburn or could have moved a piddly asset to acquire a superiour player in Dan Hmhuis. That's the beauty of this type of deal for Philadelphia - they move a nothing asset for Hamhuis, get him locked up to Coburn money and turn around and move the inferior Coburn for a big return. If that was Holgren's plan it's brilliant. If it was me, I'd move Carle but we'll see.
We still would have had to pay through the nose to sign Hamhuis though. Isn't that generally how it goes? The team acquiring the rights ends up paying top market value anyway. (See: Bouwmeester, Hartnell, Timonen.)

So you lose an asset (piddly or otherwise) and you don't save any money. You better be darn sure that's the player you want.

Dana Murzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Coburn is either a mean SOB or a meaner SOB, either way that would work for us. It would fill a need whereas Hamhuis didn't (IMO).

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:03 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Coburn is either a mean SOB or a meaner SOB, either way that would work for us. It would fill a need whereas Hamhuis didn't (IMO).
Sounds optimistic, if the Canucks were only in the market for one defender.

Getting Coburn will cost us some good assets.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:08 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
I don't necessarily think this means that Philly will move Coburn, they've got about $10m in cap space to play with, enough to sign both.

???

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

Get Coburn!!!

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:12 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post

???
When has Philly been overly concerned with who plays goal for them? I wouldn't be surprised to see them go into next season with Leighton and Boucher again.

Old
06-19-2010, 05:35 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Coburn for Cory Schneider

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
I read that something where a guy quoted lebrun from espn where it was written that Hamhuis agent said that this was not preplanned and Hamhuis was not expecting this nor had he talked to Philly before.
Per Pierre Lebrun:
Quote:
Hamhuis agent just told me no contract in place with Flyers so this wasn't pre-arranged. Still though, lots of time for Flyers.
http://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/16559567568

Quote:
My guess is that Flyers will be able to sign him, giving Philly impressive top 4 on D
http://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/16559452406

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:44 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz View Post
Coburn for Cory Schneider
I don't think its enough for Philly. Why would they give up Coburn when St. Louis kept its roster intact while trading for a top goalie last season?

I think Philly will most likely try to move a couple of mid sized contracts, and if they have to they will shop Hartnell, Timonen, and I think lastly, Coburn.

I think a player like Grabner would catch Philly's attention, if things have changed and it looks like he's the odd man out.

Old
06-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Im trusting capgeek has accounted for the increase in salary cap? Or is it going up to ~$59m ?
Or it could drop if the NHLPA does not use the 5% inflator.
Quote:
If players vote Monday for a cap increase of approximately $2-million, to $58.8-million, many teams will spend to that new limit and the league as a whole will likely again outspend revenues. If the growth factor is voted down, however, the cap will fall for the first time likely to around $56.4-million.

Should that happen, several teams will be in even greater salary-cap difficulty, less will be spent overall and, to the delight of players, escrow will be lower.

Its a system that pits players who are free agents and want more money, against those with long-term deals affected by escrow.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1610339/

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:48 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
I don't think its enough for Philly. Why would they give up Coburn when St. Louis kept its roster intact while trading for a top goalie last season?

I think Philly will most likely try to move a couple of mid sized contracts, and if they have to they will shop Hartnell, Timonen, and I think lastly, Coburn.

I think a player like Grabner would catch Philly's attention, if things have changed and it looks like he's the odd man out.
Timonen and Hartnell would be a mission and a half to move. Good players but both are extremely over paid right now.

Grabner doesn't fit with their needs.

The Philly farm lacks a goalie of any sort, let alone blue chip. Yes they could go get a Turco or some RFA, but would that person cost them 900K for the next two years?

I've always seen Philly as the end game for Schneider, this just makes it even more possible than it used to be.

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:02 PM
canucksfan

Whether you disagree or agree with it, the value of goalies are probably the lowest they have been in a while. Teams will overpay for defensemen though which makes the Canucks situation a little more difficult. Gillis better be ready.

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:12 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Whether you disagree or agree with it, the value of goalies are probably the lowest they have been in a while. Teams will overpay for defensemen though which makes the Canucks situation a little more difficult. Gillis better be ready.
My bet is Gillis doesn't get us a number 1 D, he doesn't want to pay the price. We'll have a D with good players but no number 1 guy... It's wants going to hold the Nucks back from being a force.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:14 PM
MAGICMAN1963

Ok,now i am worried.Im thinking Beiska is not going anywhere.But i am hoping MG can do somthing to fix the d-men situation,maybe at the draft.I was not really a fan of bringing in Hamhuis anyhow.

MAGICMAN1963 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Murzyn View Post
We still would have had to pay through the nose to sign Hamhuis though. Isn't that generally how it goes? The team acquiring the rights ends up paying top market value anyway. (See: Bouwmeester, Hartnell, Timonen.)

So you lose an asset (piddly or otherwise) and you don't save any money. You better be darn sure that's the player you want.
With Coburn I mean pay through the nose with assets, not just cap space. Hamhuis you would have to pay market value for but you don't lose much in the way of assets.

I think people grossly overrate the value of RFA's under the current system. Nobody seems to have a problem with the idea of putting out offer sheets and losing top picks for the chance to pay these RFA's what amounts to UFA dollars. IMO restricted free agents just aren't nearly as valuable as prior to the Dustin Penner offer sheet. Like Brian Burke said - the 2nd contract has all but been eliminated. You go from an entry level deal to UFA money. I would much rather target UFA defensemen than go the offer sheet route.

Why is it the only player to have his rights traded for this year just so happens to be the only guy with any connection to the city of Vancouver or organization? Like seriously, what the ****.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:32 PM
CM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Schneider is staying for at least 1 season.
I know this is highly unlikely, but if Coburn doesn't want to sign with Philly, then maybe we could offer:

O'Brien
Raycroft
Shirokov/Hansen

For

Coburn
I know it is unlikely to happened but why Goalie returns are going to be piss poor (Just like Halak's was). If we can package Schneider, SOB, & something for Coburn it is a no brainer for Gillis he should do it rather than hold onto to Schneider so his value goes from a 3rd round pick to a 2nd round pick. Be easier and smarter to deal for Coburn and re-sign Raycroft to a 500-750k (maybe a million) there are a lot of options for back up goalies we could find one for cheap that should be able to play the 20+ Games he'll need so Luongo does play every game.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote