HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poile's cleaning out the closet.....Now what?

Old
06-23-2010, 10:38 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I will only confirm grebs as an rfa, since he is kinda obvious. but i received no names, just a dollar figure. my source also said he knew that arnott was being dealt three weeks ago. this source also told another poster here about what they wanted the bottom pair to be, which is a surprising duo, yet makes all the sense in the world.

I don't know how the rumor guys do it, not giving away a ton of info when they have names.
so do we have both of the players they want for the bottom pair yet?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Nitrous Mafia

I am always down for some Hartnell talk.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:27 PM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
It makes little sense to pick up Parent in a trade from Philly only to turn him back to them for Harts. Especially considering the Org. has already said they think Parent will complement Franson (and others). I think the Preds have designs for Parent that include him being in camp in September.

But then again, I once said "No way we trade Skrastins" - so there you go.

quartermaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Electricflow

Would we make good trading partners with Phoenix?

I would be interested in Wojtek Wolski, not sure how much he will demand as an RFA however.

Not sure what Phoenix's needs are.

Electricflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:33 PM
braindead

I still keep thinking Franson is trade bait.

Consider:

Acquisition of Parent, a bottom pairing guy.
Poile notes the thing he likes most about Parent is his incredible skating ability.
Franson's foot speed is a serious liability, offset mainly by his PP ability.
We can cover the PP adequately (not great but adequate in the short term... better in the long term).
Should be coveted for his size and his offense.
Lack of substantial chips that we can/will trade.

Reminds me of a more moderate Andy Delmore type situation (ok much, much more moderate). Poile got value before the weakness overshadowed the perceived strength.

I'll say the trade, if there is one, is Grebs/Franson/ prospect.
I'll say Sulzer on the bottom pairing since he has a cheap 1-way contract, paired with Parent.
I'll say the trade is for an RFA that is due a raise from a team that can't/won't give it or a player on a good contract from a team with cap issues (loosely speaking).
I'll say those teams are most likely Chicago/Boston/Philly/Washington.
I'll say Chicago won't trade with us.
I'll say the likely candidates are:

Wheeler (could work, Boston needs offensive D, contract price would be right)
Savard (good K, NTC makes it hard, not sure who on our team he would set up, package isn't enought to land him without a major prospect)
Krejci (even with including a major prospect I don't see us having a shot)
Bergeron (see Wheeler but add some... probably no chance of a trade)
Gagne (UFA next year- I don't think we go that route)
Carter (probably too expensive, not being traded, package insufficient unless much more is added... and they don't need D)
Hartnell (could work but doubt the Preds want him back... package would have to be re-worked alot)
Semin (see Gagne)
Fleischmann (unproven but could work, cheaper option than the others. Caps not close on contract terms so trade is possible)

To me, Boston seems like the best fit given yesterday's trade. Blake Wheeler is the trade that seems most likely, followed by Savard and then Bergeron.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:46 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post

Hartnell's the man! I would be so happy if we got him back.
Love your location hahaha

CalleJAMkrok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 02:23 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
No thanks. Hartnell has gotten even dumber on the ice since he went to Philadelphia. Anybody remember this little gem?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
No thanks. Hartnell has gotten even dumber on the ice since he went to Philadelphia. Anybody remember this little gem?

I do

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:27 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'm up here in construction filled, hot as hell, congested Pittsburgh and they are saying good bye to gonchar.

Care for some insanity? Jordan Stall?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Nitrous Mafia

I'd rather have dumb and score goals than not try/leave for russia/no heart/no work ethic/sit our for bumped melons.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 06:38 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

your crazy... did you see how he stepped up tremendously in the playoffs and he had multiple multi point games this post season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yddSl5r_Mxc/
pure work ethic on almost every thing he does....point in case he is a predator player that is why we drafted him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYfUD8etY50/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeeUKnEMtRA/

pretty much i would be fine if poile gets hartnell back always loved em..... maybe a package deal that could see us landing Giroux also!?!? haha

Last edited by CalleJAMkrok: 06-23-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: opps put videos up wrong
CalleJAMkrok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by predsicle420 View Post
your crazy... did you see how he stepped up tremendously in the playoffs and he had multiple multi point games this post season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yddSl5r_Mxc/
pure work ethic on almost every thing he does....point in case he is a predator player that is why we drafted him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYfUD8etY50/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeeUKnEMtRA/

pretty much i would be fine if poile gets hartnell back always loved em..... maybe a package deal that could see us landing Giroux also!?!? haha
I noticed you only put up highlights from the Cup Finals. Hartnell was invisible for every other series and had a crap regular season. Work ethic... that word does not describe Hartnell. I'm glad we got rid of him and I wouldn't welcome him back, at least not at his current salary.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:37 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
I noticed you only put up highlights from the Cup Finals. Hartnell was invisible for every other series and had a crap regular season. Work ethic... that word does not describe Hartnell. I'm glad we got rid of him and I wouldn't welcome him back, at least not at his current salary.
I would tend to agree with you on this. Just looked at his career numbers. Nothing spectacular and even though he's a big body, he's not using it to rack up major points along the way. For his salary, if he's not smart and only about a .5 point per game player, he's of no use to us at his current salary.

I was sad to see him go because I thought he'd develop into a good power forward. I don't think he'll develop into much more than a 40-45 point a year player at best that has brain farts on a regular basis.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:41 PM
SilasAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Well when hartnell played for us he was the last player to get off the ice during pregame warmups everytime.....thats worth ethic IMO. but nonetheless im pretty sure the finals is the most important out of all the playoff series there is so for him to show up like that is just fine and timely.....patrick marleau has done the same thing in multiple playoff experiences for the sharks, i think thats why he got his captaincy stripped, and yes he turned it around and had an awesome season. Im just saying how could hartnell not fit back into our gritty system i mean we lost some size up front so why not add some more (unless we draft Howden ill be fine)

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:44 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashvillePred View Post
Well when hartnell played for us he was the last player to get off the ice during pregame warmups everytime.....thats worth ethic IMO. but nonetheless im pretty sure the finals is the most important out of all the playoff series there is so for him to show up like that is just fine and timely.....patrick marleau has done the same thing in multiple playoff experiences for the sharks, i think thats why he got his captaincy stripped, and yes he turned it around and had an awesome season. Im just saying how could hartnell not fit back into our gritty system i mean we lost some size up front so why not add some more (unless we draft Howden ill be fine)
Even if we draft Howden, we won't see him for 3-5 years so how would that help us now? It's comparing apples and oranges at this point. If we need size now, we need to acquire someone that is ready to play now, not someone down the road. We also have a guy in Budish who definitely fits the bill in the size department who is already one year ahead of Howden in development.

Old
06-23-2010, 07:53 PM
SilasAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Even if we draft Howden, we won't see him for 3-5 years so how would that help us now? It's comparing apples and oranges at this point. If we need size now, we need to acquire someone that is ready to play now, not someone down the road. We also have a guy in Budish who definitely fits the bill in the size department who is already one year ahead of Howden in development.

Howden has NHL size and decent hands soemthing that hartnell actually had when we drafted him, and he came up to play with us his draft year, and Budish i dont expect him up for atleast another year, he hasnt showed enough at the college level to be thought about nhl time yet, IMO

Old
06-23-2010, 08:02 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Howden has NHL size and decent hands soemthing that hartnell actually had when we drafted him, and he came up to play with us his draft year, and Budish i dont expect him up for atleast another year, he hasnt showed enough at the college level to be thought about nhl time yet, IMO
I don't expect Budish for at least 2 if not 3 years. Budish has NHL size as well, actually, the second largest player drafted that year. Howden will not see the ice in the NHL this year if he's drafted by us. The road to Nashville is thru Milwaukee.

When we drafted Hartnell we were in the league for what, 3 years and had a roster full of cast offs for the most part, that is the only reason he played here right away. If he were drafted now in the same position for us, he'd spend at least a year or two in Milwaukee if not more to mature his game.

Maybe you're right though, Howden could be ready for the NHL. I suspect if he were, he'd be gone long before we select at 18.

Old
06-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
I don't expect Budish for at least 2 if not 3 years. Budish has NHL size as well, actually, the second largest player drafted that year. Howden will not see the ice in the NHL this year if he's drafted by us. The road to Nashville is thru Milwaukee.

When we drafted Hartnell we were in the league for what, 3 years and had a roster full of cast offs for the most part, that is the only reason he played here right away. If he were drafted now in the same position for us, he'd spend at least a year or two in Milwaukee if not more to mature his game.

Maybe you're right though, Howden could be ready for the NHL. I suspect if he were, he'd be gone long before we select at 18.
Howden has one year of junior eligibility left before being able to play in the AHL (this will be his 4th year of CHL hockey) and I'm sure if drafted by the Predators, he would be sent back to juniors next season and likely start the following year in Milwaukee...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:16 PM
SilasAdams

Quote:

Never said Budish didn't have size haha hes like 6'3, 200somethin lbs, ex-football player hes definitely size ready i just dont think his game is. Yeah thats a good point about Hartnell, but you never know till after camp but highly doubtful either of the two will make it even if we don't make anymore acquisitions to better our offense and yeah itd be a call-up if anything. But in reality we dont even no who were even going to pick right now so im just hoping its Howden.

and dont be so skeptical about a player higher than lets say 15 going right in the nhl........think of Ryan O'reilly a early second round draft pick by the avalanche who played a decent rookie season who will flourish into something better than Cal, i think we suffocated him look at all his AHL videos and tell me why couldnt he do the same thing in the big leagues, because he didnt get the minutes.

Last edited by SilasAdams: 06-23-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old
06-23-2010, 08:44 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Because the NHL is vastly superior to the AHL...

I don't want Hartnell back. Not at his current salary. Not at a reduced salary. The guy is a moron on the ice. The second he gets frustrated he forgets that he's playing a game and does the first thing that pops into his head. He did show up during the Cup finals, but I'm pretty sure a corpse would show up in the SCF.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:46 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Being the last guy off the ice = work ethic in your opinion? A rather low bar.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:06 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Never said Budish didn't have size haha hes like 6'3, 200somethin lbs, ex-football player hes definitely size ready i just dont think his game is. Yeah thats a good point about Hartnell, but you never know till after camp but highly doubtful either of the two will make it even if we don't make anymore acquisitions to better our offense and yeah itd be a call-up if anything. But in reality we dont even no who were even going to pick right now so im just hoping its Howden.

and dont be so skeptical about a player higher than lets say 15 going right in the nhl........think of Ryan O'reilly a early second round draft pick by the avalanche who played a decent rookie season who will flourish into something better than Cal, i think we suffocated him look at all his AHL videos and tell me why couldnt he do the same thing in the big leagues, because he didnt get the minutes.
Budish is 6'3", 223 lbs. When he was drafted I believe he was listed at 229 lbs. There was only one player that weighed more than him at the time. Pretty crazy. I'd like to get Howden too. Seems to have a lot of good things going for him.

I know what you're saying about O'Reilly but you have to remember a few things about him. 1, Colorado was rebuilding and he had a great camp. How often does that happen? For every O'Reilly, there are how many guys from the first round that go back to their junior teams or to the minors? I'm not discounting what you're saying as I'd love a guy that could make the roster right out of the draft. I just think on a team that has as many quality players we have, it's a long shot at best.

What I'd like to see is Geoffrion make the team out of camp. He'd give us some size that we lost with Arnott and another guy that seems to like going to the net on the PP. I hope he's given a shot in camp to make the roster. I doubt he makes the roster out of camp but I think that's our biggest hope of someone from within the organization makes a splash.

Old
06-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Agreed, it equates to superstition more than anything else...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:26 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
that is why vern fiddler is a hockey god

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 01:30 AM
roseyc

Scott Hartnell just another long line of 1st round picks that didn't pan out

Legwand
Finley
Hartnell
Hamhuis
Upshall
Suter
Radulov
Parent
Blum

I'll exclude Blum,Wilson and Pickard and Ellis because they are just coming into the league or just started

But Suter is the only prominent one of the bunch

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote