HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poile's cleaning out the closet.....Now what?

Old
06-24-2010, 11:58 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
That being said, who wants to do the GDT for this weekend's draft? Remember, the first round is tomorrow with rounds 2-7 being done Saturday...
I've got you covered.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:10 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I've got you covered.
Thanks!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:15 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I looked at a few. Boston, Atlanta, Colorado, Detroit, Carolina and Ottawa.
i meant first round not including top 5 picks (we have never sucked that bad), since that is what the original argument has been. but here is 98-07 with those teams.

atlanta-Patrik Štefan/Dany Heatley/Ilya Kovalchuk/Kari Lehtonen/ Jim Slater/ Braydon Coburn/Boris Valábik/Alex Bourret/Bryan Little

and atlanta isnt really fair because they have had 4 top 2 picks or better in that group. and that being said, they have done nothing in the league even with those top picks.

boston-Nick Boynton/Lars Jonsson/Martin Samuelsson/Shaone Morrisonn/Hannu Toivonen/Mark Stuart/Matt Lashoff/Phil Kessel/Zach Hamill

colorado-Tanguay, Alex/Skoula, Martin/Regehr, Robyn/Parker, Scott/Kuleshov, Mikhail/Nedorost, Vaclav/Johansson, Jonas/Wolski, Wojtek/Stewart, Chris/Shattenkirk, Kevin

detroit-Jiri Fischer/Niklas Kronwall/Jakub Kindl/Brendan Smith

ottawa-Mathieu Chouinard/Martin Havlat/Anton Volchenkov/Jason Spezza(#2)/Tim Gleason/Jakub Klepis/Patrick Eaves/Andrej Meszaros/Brian Lee/Nick Foligno/Jim O'Brian

carolina-Jeff Heerema/David Tanabe/Igor Knyazev/Cam Ward/Eric Staal (2nd overall)
Andrew Ladd (at #4, but count him if you want)/Jack Johnson(at #3)/Brandon Sutter
from 98 to 02 carolina drafted 4 nhl caliber players

nashville- David Legwand/Brian Finley/Scott Hartnell/Dan Hamhuis/Scottie Upshall/Ryan Suter/Alexander Radulov/Ryan Parent/Jonathon Blum

avalanche had a lot of picks, detroit not many...but i would still take our picks over the others in that group. and take away the top picks from atlanta/ottawa (since usually the top few picks are no brainers), and our ratio of nhl caliber players out of the first round is higher than the rest.

and after going through this, i still wouldnt put us far behind/if at all behind the other teams. detroit got lucky on some late picks...the more i look at stuff like this, the better i think poile has done.

i guess we just should have tanked as a team for the first 4 years of our existance, then we would have top 3 picks. but didnt really work for atlanta, and senators have done that much more either.

think we have drafted really pretty well. gotta disagree with ya jj.

Last edited by kivaerijo: 06-25-2010 at 12:33 AM.
kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:19 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
I actually thought you were being sarcastic before I realized you were serious about this.

Wow.

No, no, no, Nashville has got a solid drafting record and would be envied by many. You can't be upset about not drafting superstars every draft, no one does, and especially if you put together consistently competitive teams that don't bottom-feed so that you can draft in the top 3-5 spots, which is about the only time you're likely to get a sure thing, and even then it doesn't happen.

Legwand is a very solid player, the issue with him is that he's overpaid for what he does. That is a signing issue, not a drafting problem.

Finley. Yup. But I'm from Vancouver, and I'm still over Nathan Smith and Patrick White...or going back, Alex Stojanov or Libor Polasek...trust me, you don't know how good you got it until, well, you try most other teams.

Hartnell is a contributing roster player, talk to any GM, that's not a bad thing. Some GM's will swing for the fences to get a star, with the high-risk/high-reward play, many will take the "safe" route and just hope for someone that isn't a throwaway pick. How Hartnell turned out is better than the majority of draft picks.

Hamhuis is arguably the most sought-after UFA defenseman in the league. 'nuff said.

Upshall, solid player, most would love to have that as a pick.

You CANNOT be serious in saying that Suter is anything but a star, growing into a superstar defenseman. If Nashville were to put him on the market today, you'd have a top-six winger, a top-four defenseman, pick/prospect offers flooding in, and you would still cry about him being undervalued.

Radulov, perhaps the assessment of his flight risk was a problem, but talent-wise, no question, great pick.

Parent and Blum, we'll see, but at this point, they look like respectable picks, again, considering where you are drafting from.

To expect all, or even MOST of your first round picks to turn into stars or "prominent" players is to ignore the reality of NHL drafts. That's just not how things work unless you always draft #1-3 overall.
THIS!!!!!

Old
06-25-2010, 12:32 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
The current situation is that we can't realistically compete with our self imposed cap. I think this franchise is ready for a chance to win but unless they spend some money they won't.
think a lot of chicago fans would say we realistically competed. ask st.louis or bluejackets if we can compete. i would say we have competed very well. yes, on a budget, and it would be great to spend more. but then our tickets go up,...etc...etc/

and saying we have competed on this budget is just a testament to poile/trotz/ and the scouts. they have done a great job! and dont get into the chicken and the egg debate. (we need more fans. we need to go far in the playoffs to get more fans. we need to spend money to get further in the playoffs. we need more fans to spend more money.)

Old
06-25-2010, 01:03 AM
MarkMM

*sigh*

In the interests of perspective, here's a piece documenting Vancouver's drafting situation:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...#ixzz0rpbJVkLx

When our second best draft pick was Kevin Bieksa who many are willing to trade for anything just to clear his cap space (even though we can afford him, lol) and another of our top five (Connauton) hasn't even played one NHL game yet, while our five worst picks include two first rounders (Smith and White) and a second round pick (Koltsov) who was our highest pick that draft, now that's hurting.

Heck, we even had to go out and hire a psychiatrist to help us clean up our system. Seriously.

Nashville's issue is budget, and secondly perhaps asset management (though that's debatable). Yes, Nashville has to draft better than most to be competitive, and the drafting HAS been better than average which is why the Preds ARE competitive at a lot less money, but not everything will work out, and hoping for above average drafting is fine, expecting miracles is not wise.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:22 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

i feel like im watching paint dry in this wait til july 1st.........it'll never end

Last edited by CalleJAMkrok: 06-27-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: accident
CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:30 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

OK, here's my dumb thought of the day. We talk that we can't afford a big name free agent. Very true. That has always been the case. What if in the next couple of days we realize that Hornqvist is not going to sign on here. Say he was going to make around $2-2.5 million a season but he wanted more than that and Poile say, we're going to go in a different direction. Yes, we still need to sign a few of the younger defensemen and a back up goalie but that shouldn't cost us an arm and a leg. So take the money we just saved in dealing Arnott and the money we would be giving Hornqvist and we might, and I say might, have enough to lure someone who is a pretty good sniper the last time I checked. This person wants to live in a small market where he can play hockey and raise his family. What better market is there than Nashville to do so? Guys love coming here because they can go about their business without being bothered. Once again, I know this a long shot but Poile just may have something up his sleeve.

The other option here is to unload Dumont, re-sign Hornqvist and use the rest of the savings on signing this sniper. Call me crazy but if things fell into place anything could happen. It would also send a serious message to Weber and Suter that the team is serious about putting a contender on the ice. This sniper might also help our PP issues and he also looks at our team as a team that makes the playoffs more often than not lately and may just need that one extra piece to get over the hump. It also puts into play a certain country mate of his wanting to come back here and play alongside him after next season.

I know, big time long shot, never gonna happen but let me dream for a few days before he signs elsewhere.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:44 PM
WartracePred

Man, you are dreaming now - a true-blue sniper and Radulov. Do you think either could co-exist with Trotz. No need to answer, it's a rhetorical question.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Bad Karma

I don't think we are going to be able to afford much this season period. If we are much over the floor I'd surprised.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:19 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
OK, here's my dumb thought of the day. We talk that we can't afford a big name free agent. Very true. That has always been the case. What if in the next couple of days we realize that Hornqvist is not going to sign on here. Say he was going to make around $2-2.5 million a season but he wanted more than that and Poile say, we're going to go in a different direction. Yes, we still need to sign a few of the younger defensemen and a back up goalie but that shouldn't cost us an arm and a leg. So take the money we just saved in dealing Arnott and the money we would be giving Hornqvist and we might, and I say might, have enough to lure someone who is a pretty good sniper the last time I checked. This person wants to live in a small market where he can play hockey and raise his family. What better market is there than Nashville to do so? Guys love coming here because they can go about their business without being bothered. Once again, I know this a long shot but Poile just may have something up his sleeve.

The other option here is to unload Dumont, re-sign Hornqvist and use the rest of the savings on signing this sniper. Call me crazy but if things fell into place anything could happen. It would also send a serious message to Weber and Suter that the team is serious about putting a contender on the ice. This sniper might also help our PP issues and he also looks at our team as a team that makes the playoffs more often than not lately and may just need that one extra piece to get over the hump. It also puts into play a certain country mate of his wanting to come back here and play alongside him after next season.

I know, big time long shot, never gonna happen but let me dream for a few days before he signs elsewhere.
"This person wants to live in a small market where he can play hockey and raise his family"
Does this guy's last name start with a K?

You know I like the Dumont scenario ...even though I like Dumont it seems Trotz doesn't. It doesn't make sense to pay a guy 4ml to play on the 3rd or 4th line.
I see where Afingenov and Armstrong are FA because they declined Atl's offer would we be interested in either or both

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Tapp

In case anyone is interested and gets a chance to listen, Poile is scheduled to be on 104.5 this morning at 9:10 to discuss the draft and free agency.

Tapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

What about Grabovski? He is a young center with a low cap hit. Before you say "ONLY 35 POINTS" he played on the leafs. 35 points on that Gawd awful team is like 45 on this team.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Just listened to Poile's interview. He kept bringing up size (Watson, Thuresson, etc.) Looks like he wants to get bigger.

He appearently tried his hardest to get a 2nd rounder, but the price was very high.

He said the free agent class was "the weakest in 5 years".

We are still between signing a veteran goalie and calling up one of our young prospects.

Grebeshkov is gone, Boyd is being shopped, and he beleives we will be able to reach contracts with all the other RFAs weve offered contracts to.

Poile doesnt think Grebs will get the money hes asking for, and made it seem like it wasnt out of the question that he sign him once he realizes that.

We are looking at a possible signed of a veteran forward to a one year contract in free agency.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:25 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapp View Post
In case anyone is interested and gets a chance to listen, Poile is scheduled to be on 104.5 this morning at 9:10 to discuss the draft and free agency.
Pretty much everything we already knew. Talked about Grebs being too much money. In Boyd, he felt we had guys that were already in the system that were just as good if not better.

He talked about re-signing Hornqvist, Franson and the other RFA's. Should be done within the next few weeks but not sure of the time frame. Didn't talk numbers or length of contracts but felt assured it would get done.

He mentioned signing someone July 1st that he saw at the world championships that he really liked but couldn't go much into it at this time. Most likely Jonas Andersson is my guess.

Talked about the free agent class and that this is the weakest class in the last 5 years. Didn't mention anyone they're targeting if anyone.

Complimented the staff and the work they've done over the last 12 years.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Top 6 Spaling

If Poile wants to sign a veteran goalie, he better get moving. Nittymaki and Auld both are gone, and I havent heard any rumblings about us at all. Is he going with Dekanich? (I think thats the best option anyway)

Old
07-01-2010, 01:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
If Poile wants to sign a veteran goalie, he better get moving. Nittymaki and Auld both are gone, and I havent heard any rumblings about us at all. Is he going with Dekanich? (I think thats the best option anyway)
at 1 and 2 million, neither of those guys was ever an option.

I disagree with Mark Dekanich as the backup though, even if Pekka plays 65 games next season. That still leaves 17 games with an inconsistent, average AHL goalie as the backup. And god forbid something happen to Pekka.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:06 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Ok Pekka goes down, time to call up Pickard.

As for a depth vet Goalie, wait, I'm waiting for Manny Legacy. You need someone you hope can win 12-13 games of 17-19. You don't overly spend for that.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Ok Pekka goes down, time to call up Pickard.

As for a depth vet Goalie, wait, I'm waiting for Manny Legacy. You need someone you hope can win 12-13 games of 17-19. You don't overly spend for that.
Manny Legace and Johan Hedberg are my top two picks. My "Ellis" pick (goalie from nowhere) is either Tyler Weiman or Matt Zaba.

Old
07-01-2010, 01:20 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Jesus Shelly to Philly for 1.1 million.....

Anyway, as I look at the team I want to know who the training camp invites will be.

EDIT: Hmmmmm...... Dan Ellis signed for 1.5m a year. What would the guys who don't have a job sign for? Who would be left. Talking to a friend in Toronto media, the question is 'Who would take a chance on Nabby?'

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 07-01-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old
07-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Jesus Shelly to Philly for 1.1 million.....

Anyway, as I look at the team I want to know who the training camp invites will be.

EDIT: Hmmmmm...... Dan Ellis signed for 1.5m a year. What would the guys who don't have a job sign for? Who would be left. Talking to a friend in Toronto media, the question is 'Who would take a chance on Nabby?'
Not as bad as Boo getting 1.65 from the rangers

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:11 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Yeah, I nearly dropped into convulsions and stroked out on that one.

Old
07-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Thank god Poile isnt one of the GMs that does stuff like this. I'd take no signings over a 1.65 mil enforcer every time.

Old
07-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Thank god Poile isnt one of the GMs that does stuff like this. I'd take no signings over a 1.65 mil enforcer every time.
Beeler at $575k suits me just fine...

Old
07-01-2010, 02:37 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Is it bad that when I saw LeBrun's post about a Turco source saying "Patience" that I thought "Oh! Ok, Turco is the back up for Rinne now."