HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why did Gillis offer Sundin 20 million over 2 years?

Old
06-20-2010, 06:58 PM
serge2k

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Both GM's are having a tough time finding balance, imo. We'll see what Gillis does this summer to address the serious imbalance on this team.
Not really. Calgary was 6th in GA and 29th in GF. The canucks were 12th and 2nd. With the usual signifigant injuries to the defense that the Caanucks have every single season.

Yeah chicago made them look bad, thats what playing like complete idiots does. The truth is at the top of their game the canucks defense isn't that bad, it's pretty much a middle of the pack defense. Switch Bieksa for a top pairing guy, keep mitchell, and it looks like a very solid group.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Hammer79

The offer pretty much scared off any competition for his services, and as other posters already said, Gillis knew he only wanted a one year contract and would come back with a reasonable counter-offer. The massive offer was more of a compliment to Sundin than a serious offer. Also, we had tonnes of cap room at the time and not a lot of good UFA's on the market to spend it on. I think the calculation was that Sundin's leadership would rub off onto the players, and from what I've heard it has.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Tarot Sport*

I still don't think the Bernier and Demitra signings were bad deals at the time.

Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 07:29 PM
clyankees47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarot Sport View Post
I still don't think the Bernier and Demitra signings were bad deals at the time.
Nobody thought the Sedins were going to have Art Ross type seasons either after they resigned. At $6.1m, that move looks brilliant right now. If he's going to get credit for moves that in hindsight turn out to be better than previously thought, he should likewise get the blame vice-versa.

The Demitra move was plain awful then and in hindsight. Did you guys watch him play in MIN? Complete floater who racked up cheap points playing with Gaborik. No defensive hustle at all. Pretty much played the same way with us.

I agree about the Bernier move in that it looks a little worse now than it did at the time. But still..... he gave up a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder for a guy whom he could have just given an RFA offer sheet and paid only a 2nd rounder..... BUF had budget problems at the time....that's why they didn't want to sign Bernier and wanted to unload him. Moreover, it was foolish of him to let Bernier sit there unsigned as an RFA after he had acquired him....having just "screwed" over STL with his offer sheet to Backes (I say "screwed" b/c it turned out to be great for STL).

clyankees47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Tarot Sport*

We had no second line when Gillis signed Demitra.

Nobody likes to admit it, but he had a pretty good first year in Vancouver, for a free agent signing. He was actually one of the best values after his first year in Vancouver from the 2008 free agent pool, up there with the Ryder signing.

Unfortunately he had an injury-plagued season this year and never really found his game. Still, he didn't cost us 4 million either, which helped fit Samuelsson in.

People always complained about his effort, but I always saw it. He was actually a pretty good forechecker, and Vigneault trusted him on the PK. His style of play was perimeter and completely non-physical, and that is especially grating on a team that at times seems loaded with perimeter players, but he could have given to Vancouver what Versteeg gave to Chicago. You need pure offensive players like him. Gillis just picked the wrong one.

All in all, it was a fair signing then, and a poor to average signing in retrospect.

Old
06-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

I agree about Demitra, he got way too much flack. Our forward core was pretty bad at the time, with most of our support guys still being unproven. There was no way you could go into the season without adding someone to replace Naslund and Morrison. He came in on a short deal, put up some points and played well with Sundin and Kesler. He was redundant last year, but the short term nature of that deal made it ok. Gillis was smart when he would not give Demitra that 3rd year.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 07:50 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Not really. Calgary was 6th in GA and 29th in GF. The canucks were 12th and 2nd. With the usual signifigant injuries to the defense that the Caanucks have every single season.

Yeah chicago made them look bad, thats what playing like complete idiots does. The truth is at the top of their game the canucks defense isn't that bad, it's pretty much a middle of the pack defense. Switch Bieksa for a top pairing guy, keep mitchell, and it looks like a very solid group.
Good points, but I wasn't simply speaking in terms of GA or GF.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Tarot Sport*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Good points, but I wasn't simply speaking in terms of GA or GF.
I agree that the Canucks are an imbalanced team. Last year:

Vancouver had a skill line, one of the best skill lines in the league with Sedin-Sedin-Burrows.

Vancouver had a two-way line, one of the best two-way lines in the league with Raymond-Kesler-Samuelsson.

Vancouver had a physical line, one of the worst physical lines in the league with Demitra-Wellwood-Bernier.

It's really too bad, and me being a huge Gillis supporter, I do decry him for not addressing this imbalance earlier in the season. However, people don't give credit to the difficulty of addressing these imbalances. They make it seem as clear as day, when really there is always, always an element of risk.