HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yahoo Top 50 free agents

Old
06-17-2010, 09:15 AM
jfc64

vCash: 500
Yahoo Top 50 free agents

Tell us who you think we should try to sign and at what capnumber!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...freeagents0616

Here’s a look at the top 50 players who are eligible for unrestricted free agency according to Sam McCaig who is the NHL editor for Yahoo! Sports and Yahoo! Sports Canada.

1. Ilya Kovalchuk (notes), LW, NJ – Goals, speed and superstar street cred. Kovalchuk is easily the most talented player on the open market and will be looking for a huge payday in the $8-million-per-season range. And someone will snooker their salary cap and give it to him.

2. Patrick Marleau(notes), C, SJ – Back-to-back seasons of 38 and 44 goals, plus another eight in 14 playoff games this spring, make Marleau the No. 2 UFA with a bullet. He can play center or the wing and is a veteran of 12 NHL seasons at the relatively young age of 30. The Sharks will try to keep him, but he’s looking for a mega-deal ($7 million per season) and will likely swim away.

3. Anton Volchenkov(notes), D, Ott – A shot-blocking, bodychecking, stay-at-home stud. No offense here, which brings his price down to $5-6 million, but few defensemen are more proficient in their own zone than Volchenkov.

4. Tomas Plekanec (notes), C, Mtl – The 27-year-old hit 70 points as Montreal’s No. 1 center and recorded his fourth consecutive 20-goal campaign. He’s pure finesse, an offensive talent with great playmaking skills as well as a laser shot. If you can’t get Marleau, Plekanec’s a good Plan B.

5. Evgeni Nabokov (notes), G, SJ – It’s not a banner summer for UFA goalies, but Nabokov still has something to offer. The longtime Sharks starter turns 35 in late July, but is coming off perhaps his finest postseason effort.

7. Sergei Gonchar(notes), D, Pit – Like Niedermayer, Gonchar is a veteran D-man who probably wants to stay with his current team. The 36-year-old has battled injuries the past couple of seasons, but he’s an elite power-play quarterback in a good situation in Pittsburgh.

8. Chris Mason(notes), G, StL – Perennially underrated due to the fact he’s been a No. 1 in the lower-profile NHL towns of St. Louis and Nashville, the late-blooming Mason has quietly been a top-10 netminder since the lockout.

9. Paul Martin(notes), D, NJ – When you’re New Jersey’s best defenseman, that’s saying a lot. Martin plays a responsible two-way game and might blossom even more in a less restrictive system.

10. Matthew Lombardi(notes), C, Phx – Speed demon led the Coyotes’ attack and would be a nice fit on a top-tier team’s second line.

11. Teemu Selanne(notes), RW, Ana – Like Niedermayer, if perpetual sniper Selanne returns for another season it’ll be with the Ducks.

12. Alexander Frolov(notes), LW, LA – Temperamental talent has big body, soft hands and a scorer’s touch. A two-time 30-goal man with the Kings, Frolov always left Los Angeles wanting more.

13. Pavel Kubina(notes), D, Atl – Smooth veteran is a top-four D-man with a big shot on the power play.

14. Dan Hamhuis(notes), D, Nsh – Nashville has a stockpile of talented young defensemen, which makes the versatile Hamhuis expendable. The durable 27-year-old already has played six full NHL seasons, missing just nine games.

15. Maxim Afinogenov(notes), LW, Atl – After crapping out in Buffalo, Afinogenov revived his career playing alongside Kovalchuk in Atlanta last season. A personal-best 24 goals are a testament that Afinogenov can still produce when given the opportunity.

16. Willie Mitchell(notes), D, Van – A heart-and-soul physical defenseman, Mitchell’s value will be mitigated by the fact he was limited to 48 games last season after sustaining a concussion and didn’t dress for a single contest after Jan. 16.

17. Zbynek Michalek(notes), D, Phx – A key contributor on the Coyotes’ blueline for the past five seasons, Michalek is mobile, defensively competent and a good passer.

18. Todd Bertuzzi(notes), RW, Det – The big power forward rejuvenated his career with the Wings last season and will likely re-sign with Detroit.

19. Toni Lydman(notes), D, Buf – Not big, but a good skater and plenty of puck skills. He’d be a solid addition to any team’s second defense pairing.

20. Henrik Tallinder (notes), D, Buf – Lydman’s longtime partner in Buffalo, Tallinder is a dedicated shutdown defender who can chip in offensively.

21. Marek Svatos(notes), RW, Col – Injuries are an issue as the undersized Svatos typically misses about 20 games per season. He’s got the hands of a 30-goal scorer, though, and he might come cheap given the fact he hasn’t done much in the past couple of years.

22. Marty Turco(notes), G, Dal – After several sparkling seasons in Dallas, Turco’s performance dropped off in the past couple of years and the Stars decided to cut ties with the soon-to-be 35-year-old. He might have to accept a backup role and try to work his way back into a starting position.

23. Antero Niittymaki, G, TB – Re-established his NHL credentials with a solid season in Tampa (which is no easy feat, especially for a goaltender). He’s not going to be handed a starter’s job, but is a reliable, long-term answer if the No. 1 guy goes down.

24. Olli Jokinen(notes), C, NYR – Less than two years ago, Jokinen was lauded as the center who would save Calgary by setting up Jarome Iginla(notes) and help drive a long playoff run. It didn’t work out, and Jokinen was shipped to the Rangers in a housecleaning move. His stock has fallen so much, there’s talk he might end up in the KHL.

25. Alexei Ponikarovsky (notes), LW, Pit – He joined the long line of Sidney Crosby’s(notes) failed wingers after being sent from Toronto to Pittsburgh at the trade deadline, but that shouldn’t prevent a get-rich-quick contract offer this summer. Ponikarovsky is big and can play on the top two lines of most teams.

26. Alex Tanguay (notes), LW, TB – Concussions, injuries have slowed the rise of a winger who, a few short years ago, looked like a perpetual 30-goal scorer.

27. Joe Corvo(notes), D, Wsh – Will boost any power play with his big shot and pinpoint passing.

28. Derek Morris(notes), D, Phx – Big and skilled, Morris is effective when he doesn’t over-extend himself.

29. Martin Biron(notes), G, NYI – Desperately wants to be a No. 1 in the NHL again; his best chance is a platoon situation and working his way up.

30. Michael Leighton(notes), G, Phi – Surely his playoff exploits will earn a multi-year offer somewhere, including at least a token offer from the Flyers.

31. Francis Bouillon(notes), D, Nsh – When you’re a 5-foot-8 defenseman who was undrafted, you have to prove yourself every step of the way.

32. Matt Cullen(notes), C, Ott – The type of player you forget about until the playoffs, and then Cullen’s size, two-way skills and ability in the faceoff circle make him very attractive.

33. Colby Armstrong(notes), LW, Atl – Hey, look Pittsburgh! Crosby’s old buddy is on the market!

34. Dan Ellis(notes), G, Nsh – After three years of splitting time in Nashville, Ellis strikes out on his own.

35. Pavol Demitra(notes), LW, Van – Age has eroded his skills and slowed his feet.

36. Lee Stempniak(notes), LW, Phx – An undersized third-liner who toiled in Toronto? Or a goal-a-game sniper who thrived in Phoenix? The truth is somewhere in between.

37. Vaclav Prospal, RW, NYR – Still capable of supporting a star player (like he did with Vincent Lecavalier(notes) in Tampa Bay and Marian Gaborik(notes) in New York), but Prospal isn’t doing much if he’s not scoring.

Paul Kariya isn't as fast as he used to be, but is still dangerous. (Photo by John Russell/NHLI via Getty Images) 38. Ruslan Salei(notes), D, Col – Played just 14 games last season after getting injured in the season opener, but big defenseman has a few bodychecks left in him.

39. Paul Kariya(notes), LW, StL – Not as fleet of foot, but still skilled. He’s 11 games – and 11 points – shy of 1,000.

40. Ray Whitney(notes), LW, Car – Point-producing veteran can boost a power play and provide leadership.

41. Matt Cooke(notes), LW, Pit – One of the league’s best agitators, Cooke can score, too.

42. Brett Lebda(notes), D, Det – A depth defenseman in Detroit, so you know he can play.

43. Andreas Lilja(notes), D, Det – Like Lebda, Lilja has learned at the feet of Lidstrom.

44. Jordan Leopold(notes), D, Pit – Need a dash of offense from your third defense pairing? Just add Leopold.

45. Niclas Wallin(notes), D, SJ – Defensive defenseman plays physical, honest game.

46. Jose Theodore(notes), G, Wsh – A decent regular season, but got pulled again in the playoffs.

47. Robert Lang(notes), C, Phx – He’s nearing 40 years old and 1,000 NHL games, but remains quietly productive. His next NHL team will be his ninth.

48. Owen Nolan(notes), LW, Min – Power forward nears the end, but he might have one more 20-goal season left.

49. Raffi Torres(notes), LW, Buf – It didn’t work out in Buffalo, but Torres brings a physical element that few players can match.

50. Fredrik Modin(notes), LW, LA – There’s still a few goals left, and he helps out on special teams.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Adama0905

I can't believe Kariya is still ppg...

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:41 AM
thedoctor
                    

Well, I think we don't go for any of the big names. If we were, I'd be after Marleau or Kovy as forwards, and Martin, Michalek or Hamhuis on D.

More likely we go after smaller signings if we do anything. I could see guys like Whitney and Tallinder.

Last edited by thedoctor: 06-17-2010 at 02:36 PM.
thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:51 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Z. Michalek classified as a small signing? Because he's going to be worth the money.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Mallow

I hope I'm not the only person who'd like to see Marleau play the wing with Stastny and Stewart.

EDIT: It also seems unfair to rank Kariya AFTER Salei... Just sayin'

Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:32 AM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
I can't believe Kariya is still ppg...
Kariya was a beast! Were it not for that infamous cross check to his face he would have been a elite player. Except he'll just have to settle for the Hall of Consistent and Good.

Too bad, he is still my favorite player and would love to take him back more than TOOMUCHBREWER would love to have Brewer on this team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallow View Post
I hope I'm not the only person who'd like to see Marleau play the wing with Stastny and Stewart.
Yes. Mearlu will not be worth the 6 - 7M he will be signing. He isn't old and I can still see another good 3 - 4 years of decent production from him but by that time we'll need the cap space for Duchene, Gali, RoR, etc.

Plus, he may or may not be a playoff choker but one thing is for sure, he won't be the player you can depend on in the playoffs.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 01:17 PM
PeterTheGreat

Martin, Hamhuis, Michalek, and Kubina (short term deal), are the D I want.

For forwards (I don't think we need any but if we want to get 1) the really intriguing one for me is Matt Lombardi. I love his game. If he could move to LW, a line with him and Dutchy would be incredible speed wise. He's a versatile player, good PKer, solid 2 way guy.

PeterTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I really would like to see us take a chance on Mitchell....or maybe Tallinder.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Belgican

We should go after Marleau and Martin

We get Martin then trade Liles for picks

We get Marleau to compensate for Hejduk, injuries and retires after next season

Won't affect our cap that much if they can sign them for reasonable contracts

Belgican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 02:32 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

$6M for Volchenkov? Oy. No thanks.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Gumballhead

Lydman always seemed like a pretty solid mid to lower pairing guy, I wonder if the Avs kick the tires on him.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:08 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallow View Post

EDIT: It also seems unfair to rank Kariya AFTER Salei... Just sayin'
You're not.

And Kariya after Salei isn't as bad as Turco (and 28 other guys) after Svatos.

shadow1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:25 PM
PeterTheGreat

After looking over the list a 2nd time, a couple more under the radar guys that I think could really help this team is Henrik Tallinder, and Matt Cullen.

Tallinder is a good shutdown defender. Can move the puck efficiently.

Cullen is a versatile 2 way forward. Good on the draw, and can play LW and Center.

PeterTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 07:00 PM
AVS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
After looking over the list a 2nd time, a couple more under the radar guys that I think could really help this team is Henrik Tallinder, and Matt Cullen.

Tallinder is a good shutdown defender. Can move the puck efficiently.

Cullen is a versatile 2 way forward. Good on the draw, and can play LW and Center.
Cullen can play point efficiently on the PP as well.

Give me Martin or Michalek, and if they don't work out go after Tallinder or Lydman.

I see Hamhuis going to Vancouver.

AVS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:56 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
The guys I'd want are:

D
Michalek
Martin
Kubina
Lydman

in that order.

For forwards, I want Kovalchuk (naturally), or a gritty guy that can play on the top lines or bottom lines and be effective (so a guy like Colby Armstrong).

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Why is Svatos so high on that list? He has been no-show for the last two years.

Anyways, Tallinder, Lydman etc. Are guys i'd love to see with Avalanche. I think they could really boost our defense.

+ I always really liked Tanguay's game. Too bad he's gone.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClericMercenaryAgent View Post
The guys I'd want are:

D
Michalek
Martin
Kubina
Lydman

in that order.

For forwards, I want Kovalchuk (naturally), or a gritty guy that can play on the top lines or bottom lines and be effective (so a guy like Colby Armstrong).
No thanks for Kubina, if he comes with same price tag as he was with Toronto.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:01 PM
jaisen73

Michalek, Martin, or Lydman would all be welcome and I'd give Mitchell a 1 year at the right price.

Forwards? Marleau would be an interesting choice and I'd love to see them make him an offer. He can play center or wing, he's a leader, and the Avs have the cap space to make it happen. I'm not holding my breath though. I think something more likely might be a Colby Armstrong or a trade. I just have this funny feeling the Avs would like to land Sharp out of Chicago.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 04:31 AM
jfc64

If we are nostalgic dreamers:

Tanguay - Stastny - Stewart
Mueller - Duchesne - Hejduk
Galiardi - Forsberg - Nolan
McLeod - O'Reilly - Jones
Koci - Yelle - Yip

Morris - Quincey
Hannan - Liles
Leopold - Foote
Shattenkirk - Wilson

Anderson
Budaj

If we are not I'd go for a defensive defenseman like Tallinder to balance the likes of Liles, Quincey, Shattenkirk and Cumiskey. Plus we need toughness at forward. Rafi Torres.

Does Kovalchuk like it in Denver?

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 06:51 AM
volaju

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
If we are nostalgic dreamers
You forgot Theodore at goal!

volaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Uncle Sam

Paul Martin is a stud, he's vastly underrated

Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:33 AM
niwotsblessing

Johnny Boychuk is also UFA and not on this list. Nostalgia, defense, toughness- an all-in-one solution!

niwotsblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

There are going to be a lot of disappointed fans come training camp.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:09 AM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
No kidding. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't go after anyone and just ice the same roster minus Clark, Salei, Svatos and Tucker.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:11 AM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
Not me. I am totally ready to give the next wave of kids their chance. I may be disappointed if that causes a regression but then we get one more stab and drafting in the upper half of the 1st round.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote