HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Semin Being Shopped

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2010, 01:31 PM
  #26
StanGetz*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: Liechtenstein
Posts: 4,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMUCHBREWER View Post
I feel dirty saying this: I'd rather have Kovalchuk.
Be careful, you might excite creamsoda or the_fan.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:42 PM
  #27
Adama0905
Registered User
 
Adama0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
How many times have you watched semin play? Between either datsyuk or semin for sure but I say semin.
I watched semin multiple times, the Caps are one of the teams I watch all the time.

Personally, I would even put Pat Kane above him in terms of skill. And I don't even think Pat Kane is the most skilled player in the NHL.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:44 PM
  #28
StanGetz*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: Liechtenstein
Posts: 4,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
I watched semin multiple times, the Caps are one of the teams I watch all the time.

Personally, I would even put Pat Kane above him in terms of skill. And I don't even think Pat Kane is the most skilled player in the NHL.
I agree completely.

He's not even the most skilled on his own team. I'd choose Backstrom 100% of the time.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:57 PM
  #29
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGetz View Post
I agree completely.

He's not even the most skilled on his own team. I'd choose Backstrom 100% of the time.
Just because he's not as talented as Backstrom and Ovechkin doesn't mean he's not talented

Semin is a 40 goal scorer... Something the Avalanche haven't had since Milan Hejduk scored 50 goals in the 02-03 season...

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:58 PM
  #30
StanGetz*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: Liechtenstein
Posts: 4,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Just because he's not as talented as Backstrom and Ovechkin doesn't mean he's not talented

Semin is a 40 goal scorer... Something the Avalanche haven't had since Milan Hejduk scored 50 goals in the 02-03 season...
I never said he wasn't talented, I just disagree with ColAvs that he's the most skilled player in the NHL.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:01 PM
  #31
Pure
Registered User
 
Pure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,808
vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Just because he's not as talented as Backstrom and Ovechkin doesn't mean he's not talented

Semin is a 40 goal scorer... Something the Avalanche haven't had since Milan Hejduk scored 50 goals in the 02-03 season...
The Hawks and the Flyers had no 40 goal scorer. The Wings and the Pens, only had Hossa as the 40 goal scorer.

Pure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:02 PM
  #32
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
The Hawks and the Flyers had no 40 goal scorer. The Wings and the Pens, only had Hossa as the 40 goal scorer.
Are you really comparing the Avs to the Hawks and Flyers?

This team needs that push over the edge.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:07 PM
  #33
NOTENOUGHBREWER
Registered User
 
NOTENOUGHBREWER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Are you really comparing the Avs to the Hawks and Flyers?

This team needs that push over the edge.
And while this is true, does anyone really think Semin will be that push over the edge? Myself I say no.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:08 PM
  #34
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 10,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Are you really comparing the Avs to the Hawks and Flyers?

This team needs that push over the edge.
Why do you say that?

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:09 PM
  #35
Pure
Registered User
 
Pure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,808
vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Are you really comparing the Avs to the Hawks and Flyers?

This team needs that push over the edge.
Nope. I just don't think our team needs a big time goal scorer as much as we need some big time help on defense. You can win by scoring goals by committee. You don't need one "40 goal" scorer, you just need a good team offense.

Pure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:12 PM
  #36
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Why do you say that?
Finesse scoring wingers would really add to the already high-energy this team has... The team really lacks scoring wingers.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:15 PM
  #37
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 10,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Finesse scoring wingers would really add to the already high-energy this team has... The team really lacks scoring wingers.
I agree that we don't have an elite scoring threat on the wings, but Mueller, Hejduk, and Stewart are all quality scoring player. Though the left side could use some help.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:15 PM
  #38
Adama0905
Registered User
 
Adama0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Finesse scoring wingers would really add to the already high-energy this team has... The team really lacks scoring wingers.
But moreso, it lacks a not-retarded defense

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:33 PM
  #39
StanGetz*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: Liechtenstein
Posts: 4,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Finesse scoring wingers would really add to the already high-energy this team has... The team really lacks scoring wingers.
We finished 6th in scoring last year. We may not have that one guy who puts up gaudy numbers, but we do it as a collective unit. That's just fine by me.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:41 PM
  #40
niwotsblessing
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: People's Republic
Country: Iceland
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGetz View Post
We finished 6th in scoring last year. We may not have that one guy who puts up gaudy numbers, but we do it as a collective unit. That's just fine by me.
And with a better defense we will score more goals. Less puck time in our zone, better outlet passes, etc = more time in their zone = more goals.

PS- Semin was invisible in the playoffs.

niwotsblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:17 PM
  #41
NWAvsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGetz View Post
We finished 6th in scoring last year. We may not have that one guy who puts up gaudy numbers, but we do it as a collective unit. That's just fine by me.
Yes, and the hockey gods willing we could see what a full season from a re-energized Mueller brings next year. He had some really nice snipes and did good work on the PP. There are a lot of reasons to continue to be measured in expectations for him but there is also reason to think he could be that guy when healthy and paired with a more experienced Dutchy. I get kinda eager just thinking about it. When does the season start?

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 05:04 PM
  #42
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
And yet, you saying it doesn't make it fact.

If Semin were the most talented player in the NHL, the Washington Capitals wouldn't think of moving him. But, they probably are. The main reason for this is the fact that he had 40 goals in the regular season, zero in the playoffs. He's also a huge defensive liability, and judging by some of the interviews I've read, a "me first" type player.

Not a player I'd suspect Avalanche management wants, nor the team needs.
The reason the caps are shopping him is because of the cap. They chose Backstrom over him as they should. Not because hes a defensive liability. Hes good defensively. He was like a plus 25 and played on the pk. Just because hes a skilled russian doesnt make him bad at defense if you watched the caps you would know that. He does take bad penalties tho ill give you that.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 05:08 PM
  #43
hockeyfish
Registered User
 
hockeyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Back in the FoCo
Country: United States
Posts: 5,486
vCash: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMUCHBREWER View Post
I feel dirty saying this: I'd rather have Kovalchuk.
Hell yeah

I'm not going to give up our 1st plus good prospects for one year of this guy. I'll sign an equally valuable player for a llonger time, even if it costs a little more.

hockeyfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 05:09 PM
  #44
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
I watched semin multiple times, the Caps are one of the teams I watch all the time.

Personally, I would even put Pat Kane above him in terms of skill. And I don't even think Pat Kane is the most skilled player in the NHL.
Go to youtube and type alex semin highlights. Pat Kane can only dream at scoring some of those goals.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 05:11 PM
  #45
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGetz View Post
I agree completely.

He's not even the most skilled on his own team. I'd choose Backstrom 100% of the time.
Backstrom is a better player easily but Semin has more pure talent.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 05:19 PM
  #46
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 10,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
The reason the caps are shopping him is because of the cap. They chose Backstrom over him as they should. Not because hes a defensive liability. Hes good defensively. He was like a plus 25 and played on the pk. Just because hes a skilled russian doesnt make him bad at defense if you watched the caps you would know that. He does take bad penalties tho ill give you that.
One's +/- rating is not synonymous with quality defensive play. The Capitals had 8 players who were +20 or higher, and 13 who were +10 or higher. No one who played more than 40 games finished with a minus rating. In other words, they're a good team who scores alot more than they get scored on.

And if we're focusing on +/-, we can look back to the 2008 season. Washington wasn't a power house yet, and while Semin had good offensive totals (26 goals in 63 games), he was a glaring -18, only better than Nylander's -19.

Semin's time on the penalty kill was strictly for his speed and offensive abilities; seven forwards on the Capitals averaged more PK time per game than him, yet he scored two of the teams four short handed goals this season. Not a coincidence. Washington's penalty kill was also one of the worst in the NHL.

But back to why they're shopping him - yes, you're right. It is the salary cap. However, it's not that keeping Semin will prevent them from signing others, but that he's not worth the 6 million he'll make this season - nor will he be worth whatever large sum he will be making in the coming seasons.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 05:25 PM
  #47
hockeyfish
Registered User
 
hockeyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Back in the FoCo
Country: United States
Posts: 5,486
vCash: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
Go to youtube and type alex semin highlights. Pat Kane can only dream at scoring some of those goals.
The abiltity to score some highlight reel goals does not make you the most skilled forward in the league, sorry.

hockeyfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 05:36 PM
  #48
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
One's +/- rating is not synonymous with quality defensive play. The Capitals had 8 players who were +20 or higher, and 13 who were +10 or higher. No one who played more than 40 games finished with a minus rating. In other words, they're a good team who scores alot more than they get scored on.

And if we're focusing on +/-, we can look back to the 2008 season. Washington wasn't a power house yet, and while Semin had good offensive totals (26 goals in 63 games), he was a glaring -18, only better than Nylander's -19.

Semin's time on the penalty kill was strictly for his speed and offensive abilities; seven forwards on the Capitals averaged more PK time per game than him, yet he scored two of the teams four short handed goals this season. Not a coincidence. Washington's penalty kill was also one of the worst in the NHL.

But back to why they're shopping him - yes, you're right. It is the salary cap. However, it's not that keeping Semin will prevent them from signing others, but that he's not worth the 6 million he'll make this season - nor will he be worth whatever large sum he will be making in the coming seasons.
He has gotten miles better since then. And im talking about just last year he was good defensively. Not great but good. They will have to give Varlamov and Carlson big raises in the next couple years along with shultz and flieshmann this year so his 6 mil will be needed for other players.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 05:39 PM
  #49
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 10,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
He has gotten miles better since then. And im talking about just last year he was good defensively. Not great but good. They will have to give Varlamov and Carlson big raises in the next couple years along with shultz and flieshmann this year so his 6 mil will be needed for other players.
And why would these players come above Semin, who you proclaim is "the most skilled player in the nhl"?

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 05:42 PM
  #50
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
The abiltity to score some highlight reel goals does not make you the most skilled forward in the league, sorry.
Okay what does then? Just based on individual skill he can beat guys 1 on 1 by stickhandling like very very few, he can beat you with outside speed, and his shot off the rush is better than most, almost all. Hes also a very underrated passer. He has good vision and threads the puck through small windows.

And its more than some roughly 10 goals he scores per year are highlight reel goals scored on pure skill.

Clearly Im a big Alexander Semin fan.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.