SJ (Staubitz) MN (5th Rounder)

Old
06-21-2010, 05:50 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

vCash: 500
SJ (Staubitz) MN (5th Rounder)

Quote:
Staubitz has had 20 fights in 82 #NHL games, including one his first NHL shift #mnwild 5 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Sources: #mnwild acquires San Jose Sharks fighter Brad Staubitz for 2010 5th-round pick; ends Boogaard in Minnesota?
Just a quick FYI. I know nothing about him.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:53 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

*Shrugs

I don't know what a Brad Staubitz is... Guess Kassian isn't ready?

At least Boogaard's gone. Though, I don't know enough about this guy to know if he's any better...

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:58 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Seeing people say the Wild got hosed isn't all that comfortable...

HOWEVER, he did score 3 goals last season. Which is nice.

Old
06-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Hockeydb.com says he is a defenseman.

Not a lot of Pro points, not a lot of AHL points.

Meh.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:59 PM
hockeyball

Sharks fan, with info.

Staubitz is a good fighter, a tough kid, and a fairly good skater. He will occasionally skate up a wing, and out of nowhere put one past the goalie and everyone will go "where'd that come from??"

That said, he's an idiot. Dumbest hockey player I've ever seen. Just one stupid decision after the other.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:01 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

It's worth it for a fifth rounder - Staubitz is cheap for what he does and better than John Scott defensively (although that's not a hard thing to achieve).

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:03 PM
melinko

vCash: 2551
So will he actually be used at D or can he play wing also?

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:07 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
So will he actually be used at D or can he play wing also?
He never played D for us, not even when we had a short bench and he was in the roster and could have filled in. He's not really a utility player. He's an agitator who can swing. Like Tootoo, but not as good at hockey.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:09 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

wtf.... the idiocy of the Wild continues even with a new GM...

"draft picks are like currency"

"we need all the prospects we can get"

LIES, ALL LIES!

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:11 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Sounds like a decent move, I guess. Hard to get too worked up over this guy or moving a 5th round pick.

If he can take a normal shift at wing it'd be ideal. Keeps at least one kid in Houston. Makes a more manageable salary. Adds some toughness to an otherwise soft core. Means Boogaard's time here is over. Stupid decisions I can live with for the time being. This team isn't going to be in the position where it's really going to effect much.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:15 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
wtf.... the idiocy of the Wild continues even with a new GM...

"draft picks are like currency"

"we need all the prospects we can get"

LIES, ALL LIES!
No they are like currency. Anytime you can spend a fifth rounder to get a cheap enforcer, I'll that as a win. Seriously, there are such slim odds that pick will actually the NHL - Cody Almond's 7 NHL games and Maxim Sushinski's 30 our expansion year are the only ones from a Wild fifth round pick - where it's worth it.

Now if we were talking about a second or third for Staubitz, then you have every right in the world to be pissed off...
EDIT: To further the point, San Jose has a total of 92 games played from their 5th round picks in the last decade - 89 of them being from one guy.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:16 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Sounds like a decent move, I guess. Hard to get too worked up over this guy or moving a 5th round pick.

If he can take a normal shift at wing it'd be ideal. Keeps at least one kid in Houston. Makes a more manageable salary. Adds some toughness to an otherwise soft core. Means Boogaard's time here is over. Stupid decisions I can live with for the time being. This team isn't going to be in the position where it's really going to effect much.
Ya, that sounds about right. I'm not laughing at you guys or anything. Stauby was a lot of fun (that Tootoo fight will live in infamy for all time).

He has potential, but his decision making is so poor, it's hard to imagine him overcoming it.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:17 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

And this is why I'm completely happy with the move. It gives the team a lot more flexibility, which might be needed depending on how this year goes.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:20 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Or you offer the equivalent of this guy (boogaard) league min and if he declines, you live with john scott for another year. Or clayton stoner. You DONT GIVE UP PICKS FOR SOMETHING WE ALREADY HAVE!!

Old
06-21-2010, 06:21 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
No they are like currency. Anytime you can spend a fifth rounder to get a cheap enforcer, I'll that as a win. Seriously, there are such slim odds that pick will actually the NHL - Cody Almond's 7 NHL games and Maxim Sushinski's 30 our expansion year are the only ones from a Wild fifth round pick - where it's worth it.

Now if we were talking about a second or third for Staubitz, then you have every right in the world to be pissed off...
EDIT: To further the point, San Jose has a total of 92 games played from their 5th round picks in the last decade - 89 of them being from one guy.
I'll take my 1/5 odds that this is the year we get someone decent in the fifth round. We do honestly need anyone we can get, not someone we already have.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:23 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Out of curiosity, where is the player in the Wild organization that can fill his role?

Old
06-21-2010, 06:25 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Or you offer the equivalent of this guy (boogaard) league min and if he declines, you live with john scott for another year. Or clayton stoner. You DONT GIVE UP PICKS FOR SOMETHING WE ALREADY HAVE!!
John Scott's also an UFA and will cost more to be a healthy scratch. Stoner on the other hand is a player who has toughness but much like Clutterbuck is not a player who the team can depend on in that role. There's a four page thread where everyone basically agreed that Matt Kassian couldn't do the job. Now personally I would have rather found someone in free agency, but this gives the Wild a lot more flexibility for the 2011 off-season all at the cost of a prospect who will for all intensive purposes probably be an AHLer for life.

Prospect depth is nice, but it starts from the top down. Minnesota still has that option for this year's draft.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:27 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I just don't understand the rational of getting worked up over a trade like this. I really don't. People just take things way too seriously.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:32 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

I apologize for having even a tiny bit of passion and desire to win. I apologize if you guys are still hungover from making the playoffs three seasons ago.

Personally, and this is just me speaking, you're all entitled to your own opinion, but I like, there I said it, I like, making the playoffs. The excitement is bar none.

Now if you guys don't like it and are okay with this trade, then I guess that's fine too, because that's what MN WILD hockey as conditioned some of us to be...

I'm okay with rebuilding and sucking the next two years, but if we suck the next two years, and THEN decide to rebuild...

Last edited by countrygentleman: 06-21-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old
06-21-2010, 06:35 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I apologize for having even a tiny bit of passion and desire to win. I apologize if you guys are still hungover from making the playoffs three seasons ago.

Personally, and this is just me speaking, you're all entitled to your own opinion, but I like, there I said it, I like, making the playoffs. The excitement is bar none.

Now if you guys don't like it and are okay with this trade, then I guess that's fine too, because that's what MN WILD hockey as conditioned some of us to be...
So do I, but I don't see how this trade hurts or make the Wild a better team. It's basically as close to a non-move as you can get and other than the fact that they don't have to sign an enforcer in free agency (which I may add, the cost would probably be more than whatever a fifth round pick is going for these days), Minnesota is the same team they were an hour ago. No better, no worse.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:36 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Nope. It has nothing to do conditioning. It's about being a realist. It's about seeing where this team is at, where it's heading, and what it can really do with it's current assets.

And let me just fill you in, if you're expecting this team to contend anytime soon given it's current make-up in addition to what few assets it has to make a move, you're going to be severely disappointed.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

If you really think that a 5th round pick is the make or break shot in the dark for the playoffs... Man, I don't even know what to say to you.

This is a simple move to make sure we don't overpay ($ not picks obviously) for someone who may well end up a nightly scratch.

Fletch talked about team toughness, and adding a guy like this is obviously his first attempt to do exactly that. Nothing more, nothing less.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:42 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

So we uh...I don't get this trade at all. We get rid of one useless player and spend a 5th rounder on another one? Why the hell didn't we just sign one?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:44 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
So we uh...I don't get this trade at all. We get rid of one useless player and spend a 5th rounder on another one? Why the hell didn't we just sign one?
Saves at least half a million plus essentially what Vashaneh said. Everyone has gone on and on about how they want a Boogaard-type player for the league minimum; well there you are.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:

I'm okay with rebuilding and sucking the next two years, but if we suck the next two years, and THEN decide to rebuild...
What the hell are you even talking about? Are you the kind of fan who doesn't even know who the players on the team are until after the season starts?

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote