HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Contract for Hamhuis

Old
06-22-2010, 09:43 AM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It's hard to progress when you're constantly having surgery for **** and playing through injuries/rehab. That's just the way it was for him here, and I think that was a massive red alarm. So, I'm not too sad to see him go... he has just been too injury prone to rely on. However, if he ever gets and stays healthy, I think a very good defensive D will emerge.

At times he was solid as hell. He was very good on the PK when healthy. He uses his body very good defensively, is in good position, and skates well.
On the PK, yes, he's always been good there. But fact remains he never looked good at even strength for more than a game here and there. Injuries are absolutely a cause of that problem, but I would like to sort out facts from fanboy (JSTAFF) myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I would argue that more often than not, during his statement with Kimmo he was "solid as hell." That pairing was REALLY good. It was the reason I was so high on Parent coming into this year and wanted to see him in the Top 4 paired with Kimmo (along with Pronger and Coburn).
Eh, I really don't think he was that good on that pairing. If anything it was more of the effect of playing with a really good partner.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:44 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I'de take a guy like Jordan Leopold on the 3rd pairing. He shouldn't command much more then the 1.75 he made this season. I agree with your point here but the thing that gets overlooked is why not keep the 5 defenseman together for this year if it works out salary wise and worry about moving some salary for the 2012 season? Schneider would be an ideal candidate as he makes pennies for the next 2 years. It's risky to stake your chances on the back of a kid, and we would need a capable back-up who can play 25 30 games. Nitty would be ideal because he has the ability to steal you consecutive games, and then completely hit a wall.
I'd prefer a more physical stay at home guy for the 3rd pairing, but more importantly one that excels on the PK. I view Leopold as more of a puck mover. I think a 3rd pairing D-man that can alleviate some PK minutes from our two big guns would be huge; much like Lappy and Betts did for Richie and Gagne.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:07 AM
CdnFlyersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
as a jealous sens fan my guess is..

6years with a cap hit of 3.8
As a scarred Flyers fan (that we end up with Theodore) my guess is...

5 years with a cap hit of 4.25...as well one hook or esky cover up.

CdnFlyersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
If the cap goes up as expected, everyone stays. If by chance the cap does not increase then Coburn's probably gone.
Do you not understand that we have the worse goaltending in NHL and this is why we need to move some salary? Coburn won't make more then Carle next year. So why trade him?

Edit: do not answer. I care less.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:27 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Do you not understand that we have the worse goaltending in NHL and this is why we need to move some salary? Coburn won't make more then Carle next year. So why trade him?

Edit: do not answer. I care less.
Yes I understand. I want to keep all five dmen and I want to upgrade our goaltending, by trading a forward. I never said trade Coburn, but if the cap doesn't go up then he might not be re-signed.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:38 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
No, but I'm sure there are some guys floating around... some names have been around, but I haven't bothered to look at the full list.

1) I'm not sure why you assume the October roster will be the playoff roster.
I don't assume that, but it's alot easier to build/add to your roster in July then it is in March.

2) I'd like to sign a veteran 3rd pairing guy to play with Bartulis.
I'd like to keep all 5 dmen and not sweat our 3rd pairing at all.

3) An improvement in goal makes your 3rd pairing defense better... just as it makes your 2nd pairing defense better... and your 1st pairing defense better.
An improvement to your 3rd pairing does the same thing by not over-extending them, especially at their age.
Believe me, I want to improve our goaltending as well. But I would trade a forward to get that accomplished and keep all 5 dmen at the blue line.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I am thinking 4/15M and wondering what this means for Coburn's future.

I dont know that I would compare him Regehr, Jackman or Phillips, those guys are better but also if they were on the market today they would command at least $1M more each than they make now.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Believe me, I want to improve our goaltending as well. But I would trade a forward to get that accomplished and keep all 5 dmen at the blue line.
1) There are always some D available at the deadline. Always. It also lets you have some wiggle room if some of your young guys really develop and make spending now unnecessary. You do not need to have your third pairing "perfect" in October.... you really don't. Additionally, if we avoid falling apart and going out of the playoffs in November/December again next year, we won't have to ride the top of the roster as hard.

2) I would to. But I would also like to be able to sign a legit goalie, and be flexible at forward. Going all in on D all the way down to your third pairing is a waste of resources at this point, IMO.

3) Goalie makes EVERYONE better, a third pairing D really just makes your third pairing D better. It will have a marginal effect for the majority of the regular season... and you gotta hope Bartulis is a better player after 82 games than he was after his rookie year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:50 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

The Volchenkov Factor

I haven't gone through the whole thread but did anybody mention that:

Quote:
" The Senators, unable to get Volchenkov to budge from his demand of $4.5-$5 million per-season, will likely try to deal his negotiating rights while in Los Angeles for the NHL draft,

“I’ve talked to his agent several times. I believe he’s going to go to the market. That’s the impression I got,” said Murray."

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../14467676.html
No offense to Hamhuis but if Volchenkov who is a much better D man in terms of impact feels his value is 4.5 to 5M then Hamhuis doesn't deserve to be that much closer. 4M is fair and anything above that the Flyers are overpaying which probably will happen given our history....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I haven't gone through the whole thread but did anybody mention that:

No offense to Hamhuis but if Volchenkov who is a much better D man in terms of impact feels his value is 4.5 to 5M then Hamhuis doesn't deserve to be that much closer. 4M is fair and anything above that the Flyers are overpaying which probably will happen given our history....
Volchenkov, however, is a big fat zero moving the puck up ice. His career high in points is 19.

So, they're more comparable than you might think. Volchenkov is a hitter and shot blocker, but you don't get much of anything from him beyond your own zone.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:08 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Volchenkov, however, is a big fat zero moving the puck up ice. His career high in points is 19.

So, they're more comparable than you might think. Volchenkov is a hitter and shot blocker, but you don't get much of anything from him beyond your own zone.
I guess it's like comparing apples and oranges. A team that doesn't have a physical D man like Pronger who BTW has a good first pass and shot but is not exactly fleet of foot maybe would value Volchenkov more. Hamhuis is more well rounded I agree and is a better fit for the Flyers needs. Maybe they are somewhat comparable but given the impact that Volchenkov provides even if it's mostly in his own end I give him the edge. That's why anything Hamhuis wants should be maybe 500-800 < what Volchenkov is demanding. Of course it also depends on how the terms are structured.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:10 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'm beginning to think that maybe they move both Coburn and Carle and go on the free agent market and sign a defenseman. Also, Bob Mackenzie is pretty bang on with regards to hockey related matters and he mentioned that a forward will more than likely be moved, but it's definitely not Carter, so that definitely opens some intrigue.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:15 PM
DrHamburg

any update on this? have they begun negotiations? Would love to have him with the current 5, Flyers would be favored to get back to the cup finals.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Philadelphia Flames

“When I talked to Dan on Saturday I told him, ‘Just think about becoming a Philadelphia Flyer over the weekend, try to think some things through,’+’’ Holmgren said.

“Obviously he’s looking at unrestricted free agency on July 1 and you know that’s attractive to a lot of guys. You don’t get that opportunity. He’s a guy that would create a lot of interest if he gets to that point, so I’ll talk to his agent in the next day or two and we’ll see what we can do.”

Hamhuis might have designs on going free agent anyway, just to test the market and also find a team where he might be able to crack the top four more easily.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/opinions/...contracts.html

Philadelphia Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Flames View Post
“When I talked to Dan on Saturday I told him, ‘Just think about becoming a Philadelphia Flyer over the weekend, try to think some things through,’+’’ Holmgren said.

“Obviously he’s looking at unrestricted free agency on July 1 and you know that’s attractive to a lot of guys. You don’t get that opportunity. He’s a guy that would create a lot of interest if he gets to that point, so I’ll talk to his agent in the next day or two and we’ll see what we can do.”

Hamhuis might have designs on going free agent anyway, just to test the market and also find a team where he might be able to crack the top four more easily.
1) Pronger
2) Timonen
3) Hamhuis

No cracking necessary. He'd already be in the top 3.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:02 PM
rmp

In Philly, his role is going to be similar to what it was in Nashville; a 2-way Dman stuck in a defensive role with next to nothing on the power play. Maybe he wants to be more than that.

rmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:06 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 9000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Cap going up to 59.64M, a 3M increase!!! Huge help for us.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=789483

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:10 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post

**** yeah, that's all I have to say.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:12 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:

So 11 million added for a goalie, coburn, hamhuis, powe and carcillo? I like where this is going.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:12 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:

We could conceivably have everyone signed relatively easy and add a goalie at 2-3 million.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:14 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Kinda wish we had signed Hammer and Coburn before this was announced.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Garbage Goal

This 3 mil cap raise should make signing Hamhuis no problem, but it's also going to help out every other team in the league, especially the Blackhawks.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:17 PM
agrudez*

It had become very evident that Parent was not going to succeed here with how little Lavi had confidence in him; therefore, moving him was a necessary evil for both parties.

One of (if not both) Coburn or Hamhuis WILL be signed to long term deals by July 1. The one who gets that deal (if only one does) will likely be the one who takes the more team friendly contract based on their individual team contributions.

Imo, even if Hamhuis doesn't get signed, but it brings Coburn's asking price down from, let's say, 4 years 3.5M to 4 years 2.5M then that 1M in cap space for the next 4 years was worth Ryan Parent.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:17 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
So 11 million added for a goalie, coburn, hamhuis, powe and carcillo? I like where this is going.
I like it too but keep in mind we need some wiggle room for a 13th forward and 7th d.

11mil

Hammer=4
Coburn =3.2
Ellis=2
Powe=800k
Carbomb=1.5

that would be over the cap and no 7th d. unless I'm missing someone. Although I suppose Cote would be coming off........ Oh and Cap geek has Backlund on.... Yeah it would be close but 3 mil increase is better than 2 that's for sure.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
They can save (a very little bit of) money by letting Powe go and letting Kalinski, Nodl, Maroon, Matsumoto, or Laliberte fight for that spot. Powe was virtually invisible in the playoffs.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote