HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laraque being a vegan: a theory on what happened to his "hockey skills"

Old
06-22-2010, 10:24 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
i know laraque personally, and aside from his dietary and philosophical changes (which i do believe have had some effect on his psyche) i do agree that he never liked his role in hockey. i have known him since he came into the league. early on he made an immediate impact. he fought rob ray in his first year and literally shattered ray's face. BGL didn't fight again that year. no one would test him. of course over the years the super heavy weights would do battle with him...but he would always tell me when i ran into him in montreal he would retire after his second oiler contract (27). he stuck around and followed the money and became a bit of a joke with his staged fights. he stunk in the phoenix where he followed the money, resurrected his career a bit in pitt and then followed the money to montreal. it was a genius move for him. he got his RDS career on track and invested in a profitable raw vegan resto here. he sold his house in edm and moved back to mtl permanently. what i find funny is that guys like gainey and gauthier didn't see that he was signing with the habs for purely PR reasons (and the money). BGL is not a bad guy, but it was crystal clear early on he was both injured and more addicted to the spotlight / activist work here than anything else. all anyone needed to do was check out his facebook updates and see that he was out every night promoting some new cause - which is not bad, but a tad a distraction during a hockey season (even crosby isn't out doing that much promoting and guest speaking). why didn't the habs brass see any of this is beyond me.
all that to say that BGL is a ****ing physical specimen. a naturally huge man with incredible strength who never had a mean streak. if he had, he would've been unstoppable. if he had, had a probert or even colton orr mentality he would go down as the greatest heavyweight of all time. the oil drafted him in the second rd b/c of his enormous strength; he never had it in him to be a tough guy with an edge, and it has only slipped further away from him as he became increasingly disinterested in hockey...but followed the money to help sustain his other business interests (gyms, veggie resto etc) and activist causes (Haiti, animal rights)
I've said this numerous times since his career here, that all he cared about was the money and to use his name in Montreal as a way to get endorsements etc. In short, he's a sell out and he screwed over his own team in the process. If it weren't for what he did, had we invested that cap space into another tough guy, we'd probably have been able to do more during the playoffs. Not saying we would've won the cup but you never know, he could've single handedly ****ed over one of our best chances of the last 15 years and maybe one of our best shots for the next 15 for all we know. That cap space could've been put to better use then some ****ing scum bag ******* who just used our team to make some money and get a ton of endorsements.

Gee I wonder why he didn't want to fight, having your face bashed in isn't exactly good for commercials etc.

Anyways I'm sorry that you're his friend or know him, but he's a total dick for doing this.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:28 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I've said this numerous times since his career here, that all he cared about was the money and to use his name in Montreal as a way to get endorsements etc. In short, he's a sell out and he screwed over his own team in the process. If it weren't for what he did, had we invested that cap space into another tough guy, we'd probably have been able to do more during the playoffs. Not saying we would've won the cup but you never know, he could've single handedly ****ed over one of our best chances of the last 15 years and maybe one of our best shots for the next 15 for all we know. That cap space could've been put to better use then some ****ing scum bag ******* who just used our team to make some money and get a ton of endorsements.

Gee I wonder why he didn't want to fight, having your face bashed in isn't exactly good for commercials etc.

Anyways I'm sorry that you're his friend or know him, but he's a total dick for doing this.
well if you read the article though, he did use that money to further himself in good causes. i mean it really sucks if you're a habs fan because of how disappointing he really was for us. But ultimately, his reasons were for a better cause (in the grand scheme of things).

So to call him a dick for that is probably not the right word. Ya obviously he didnt care about the habs or their success, so that really makes him selfish more than anything else.

Laraque, if all things, was NOT a team player.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:49 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
well if you read the article though, he did use that money to further himself in good causes. i mean it really sucks if you're a habs fan because of how disappointing he really was for us. But ultimately, his reasons were for a better cause (in the grand scheme of things).

So to call him a dick for that is probably not the right word. Ya obviously he didnt care about the habs or their success, so that really makes him selfish more than anything else.

Laraque, if all things, was NOT a team player.
Dude I don't give a **** if his reasons were good. That's like me saying I robbed your house because your rich and give your material objects to poor people. Yeah I did a good thing in helping poor people out, but I still robbed your house.

Well Gainey signed him for the purpose of being our sole guardian and he didn't do it, he used our team to make millions of dollars, ****ed our cap out of money we could've used, ****ed over 25 other players who all played hard and could've used another back to keep the pressure on, but no, Laraque was a ***** and did nothing for this team. He wasn't even worth 100k. (I was one of the people happy when we aquired him, I even defended him almost to the end saying he's injured, give the guy a chance etc, well **** him honestly)

Sorry if I have trouble feeling sympathetic that a guy used our team with no intention of doing his job, lied to our GM and said he would do his job, got signed for over 1 mil, never did squat and used our media as a 3 ring circus in order to get himself more money off of advertisements etc.

Don't try to make Laraque out to be Robin Hood, he's just a scrub, maybe Robin Hood played by Russell Crowe but not a real hero or anything. The bottom line is he also invested in businesses that make him money. You make it sound as if he's the most selfless person alive. He ****ed over our organization and all of the players and because of him people who got injured might have not, had the other team feared him, but he wasn't even around because he never even once tried to put fear into opposing teams. Then he takes that money to start gyms and restaurants. Don't make me laugh dude that isn't selfless, yeah he does a lot of other good things too, so do other players like Kovalev, I don't see you sucking his dick.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

My good friend is a vegan and he's the most mean spirited person i know. If anything, the contrary is true to your statement. A lot of people I know who turn to veganism do it out of anger and the general apathy towards other forms of life. My vegan friends always tell me, they'd eat human sausages before porc ones anyday of the week. If anything, George Laraque should've been even more angry and furious at other steak eating Heavyweight fighters

I'm not a vegan myself but I train heavily all the time and i'm a strict vegetarian and go stretches at a time eating only vegan food. My diet has no effect on my mental state and definitely not on my training.

All that to say the OP's original theory is absolutely rubbish.

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Pax Macioretty

This thread is complete trash. Useless ignorant completely false information that attacks the human being rather then the hockey player. How it's still up is beyond me, cause i would of locked it up 5 sec after i read it.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote