HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nigel Dawes

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2004, 07:39 PM
nyrfuture

vCash: 500
Nigel Dawes

Now this was an unbelievable scout for the rangers last year. Back to back 47 goal seasons in the WHL is unbelievable for his size. If he was 2 or 3 inches taller he would've been a first rounder. But he can still grow a little bit more. He is listed at 5'8 175 pounds. I was browsing through NHL.com the other day and it showed Theo Fleury was 5'6 160. Call me crazy but I didn't think he was that small. Also, you have to look at Marty St.Louis, an MVP candidate. Yes players are getting bigger but look at how Kariya, Yzerman, Kapanen, and Oates turned out. Can somebody tell me why Dawes is any different. He was arguably team Canada's best player at the World Junior Championships, against the likes of other first rounders. Unbelievable how this kid was a 5th round pick. Thanks Sather. This kid is without a doubt a steal, prove me otherwise.

Opinions, comments

Old
05-19-2004, 07:44 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

The player he sounds a lot like is Mark Recchi - skilled, good skater, low center of gravity. He doesn't sound like he's the skater a Fleury, St. Louis or a Gionta is.

Old
05-19-2004, 07:58 PM
Bacchus

You didn't know how small Theo was?

Look at that:

As for Dawes, I love him. But it seems, that nowadays size matters more than everything else. Just look at Parise - easily a top 10 pick based on skills last year...

Old
05-19-2004, 07:58 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
The player he sounds a lot like is Mark Recchi - skilled, good skater, low center of gravity. He doesn't sound like he's the skater a Fleury, St. Louis or a Gionta is.
I saw Dawes skate at the WJC's. He doesn't have awesome speed but he does have good speed. The thing with him is that he was shifty, hard to line up and very strong on his skates. It's tough to compare him after seeing him four times but he did remind me of a less aggresive Theo Fleury. His shot was lethal and the puck seemed to find him, plus he played with heart.

Old
05-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD
I saw Dawes skate at the WJC's. He doesn't have awesome speed but he does have good speed. The thing with him is that he was shifty, hard to line up and very strong on his skates. It's tough to compare him after seeing him four times but he did remind me of a less aggresive Theo Fleury. His shot was lethal and the puck seemed to find him, plus he played with heart.
This guy has everything needed for the NHL - except size. And that the only thing that can prevent hin from playing NHL.
The skills are there, as is skating and heart.

Old
05-19-2004, 08:07 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
How did Dawes do with his HRD tryout? Is he still with the team during the playoffs as an extra?

Old
05-19-2004, 08:22 PM
noodlemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27
How did Dawes do with his HRD tryout? Is he still with the team during the playoffs as an extra?
from what i saw and remember he was struggling a bit...but that was due to him playing on the weaker lines and not having the right linemates

Old
05-20-2004, 12:31 AM
themaninorange

haven't seen dawes in person yet, but the numbers are quite impressive...he's certainly not our best prospect, but i feel like this guy's upside is pretty high...he might not be the skater that gionta or st. louis is, but i think those are some examples that make me a little more hopeful that a guy his size could have an impact with this team...dawes isn't ahl eligible yet correct? another year with kootenay would do him some good, i don't want the team even having the option of rushing him to hartford...

Old
05-20-2004, 12:44 AM
NYR2

That's one of my favorite pictures, Franz!

Old
05-20-2004, 12:56 AM
leafaholix*

He doesn't have blazing speed, but he's really quick.

It was mentioned, he's quite similar to Mark Recchi.

Old
05-20-2004, 01:37 AM
Edge

Great set of skills and a great head on his shoulders. The odds are against him, but the fact that he has the maturity to go with the skills tells me he might just defy them.

Old
05-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

From what I heard from a friend in Winnipeg the other night, Dawes is back home in Winnipeg working out and playing in a senior league for fun. Apparently a lot of junior-aged Winnipeg boys are playing in this league and some former NHLers, Lonny Bohonos is one he mentioned. Sounds like fun!

Old
05-20-2004, 08:53 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
He's build is similar to Recchi. he also seems to have a great shot and aknack for scoring goals like Rechhi.

Recchi was an amazing playmaker, and that's something I haven't seen in Dawes in the limited games I've watched him play.

If I was a GM and making a deal with the Rangers and part of my return was the option to take either Dawes or Lundmark ... I'd take Dawes in a heartbeat.

Closed Thread