HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Pálffy vs Mullen

View Poll Results: Choose a player (in their prime):
Žigmund Pálffy 12 50.00%
Joseph Patrick Mullen 12 50.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Ziostilon

vCash: 500
Pálffy vs Mullen

Even though Ziggy won't get a sniff of the HHOF. Palffy's teams which he played on clearly did not help, also being 5'10" playing in the height of the dead puck era does not help his cause.
Its probably better to compare the peaks of both players, as that was when Ziggy succeed. I don't know enough about Mullen to really lay down a good analysis on him. But winning 3 stanley cups is not a fluke, also being top 5 in playoff scoring on his 2 cup finals.

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:43 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 927
money mullen

06-21-2010, 08:20 AM
jkrx

In raw skill I take palffy. I don't find Mullens career all that impressive. Palffy played three playoffs and wasnt worse than mullen in any of them and for much worse teams. He played most of his career for an unstable Islanders team and a not much better Kings. Mullen played for several elite teams with elite players.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:58 AM
revolverjgw

Palffy was better. The numbers he was putting up were awesome for his era. He played on some godawful teams though. Mullen was a top 10 scorer a grand total of once, a very underwhelming HOFer. He did have an awesome playoff on a stacked Flames squad, but otherwise nothing impressive for his era, so his playoff resume doesn't put him ahead of Palffy.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Padan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
Man, Palffy has ballooned out.

Padan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:31 AM
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris

palffy was one of my favourite players when he was in LA. he had one season where i would have given him a third place hart vote. but i think his PPG numbers have made him a bit overrated in retrospect.

mullen is one of the weaker hall of famers who was buoyed by retiring as the highest scoring american. but he scored an awful lot of goals for the flames the two years they went to the finals in the 80s, and was a very good secondary scorer for the first pittsburgh cup.

mullen made the NHL quite late for a star player, so i think we often forget that he was only one year younger than trottier, and was the much better offensive player when the played together. granted, he hadn't played in five straight finals, which probably slowed trottier down early, but it's not like mullen hadn't played a lot of playoff games in the seasons prior to '91-'92.

his 40 goals in '91-'92 was pretty impressive for a 34 year old in that era-- http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...rder_by=points

he also easily outpointed a prime francis that year, though francis of course brought other things to the table that mullen didn't.

palffy had the higher peak, but i don't think mullen's far superior playoff record is irrelevant, and i think what mullen did in full seasons in his 30s trumps palffy's two PPG half seasons after 30. but the questions of prime vs. longevity, and great 2nd or 3rd best offensive forward vs. very good but probably not great best forward are tough questions. prorated "if he was healthy enough to play full seasons" or projected "if he had been on a legit playoff team" performance vs. actual accomplishment, however, is a much easier question to answer.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:54 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

I always like your polls. It seems one player you get a picture of him playing hockey and the other guy doing something totally unrelated like talking to horses or holding golf clubs or holding a flag

Mullen for me. Palffy just didn't have the durability. When he retired he could've still been playing for the Pens. Probably could've gone on to be a cup winner. Considering his play at the time, it's not too much of a stretch to think Palffy could've been a top line winger on the 09 Pens.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:45 PM
JWells16

Mullen was my favorite Penguin when I was younger, so he gets a nostalgia vote.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:29 PM
revolverjgw

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
palffy was one of my favourite players when he was in LA. he had one season where i would have given him a third place hart vote. but i think his PPG numbers have made him a bit overrated in retrospect.

mullen is one of the weaker hall of famers who was buoyed by retiring as the highest scoring american. but he scored an awful lot of goals for the flames the two years they went to the finals in the 80s, and was a very good secondary scorer for the first pittsburgh cup.

mullen made the NHL quite late for a star player, so i think we often forget that he was only one year younger than trottier, and was the much better offensive player when the played together. granted, he hadn't played in five straight finals, which probably slowed trottier down early, but it's not like mullen hadn't played a lot of playoff games in the seasons prior to '91-'92.

his 40 goals in '91-'92 was pretty impressive for a 34 year old in that era-- http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...rder_by=points

he also easily outpointed a prime francis that year, though francis of course brought other things to the table that mullen didn't.

palffy had the higher peak, but i don't think mullen's far superior playoff record is irrelevant, and i think what mullen did in full seasons in his 30s trumps palffy's two PPG half seasons after 30. but the questions of prime vs. longevity, and great 2nd or 3rd best offensive forward vs. very good but probably not great best forward are tough questions. prorated "if he was healthy enough to play full seasons" or projected "if he had been on a legit playoff team" performance vs. actual accomplishment, however, is a much easier question to answer.
Fair enough, but it's not like Palffy played 500 games and Mullen played 1500. Palffy was a top 10 scorer 4 times in an era full of great European players, he had a lot of great full seasons. Mullen was a top 10 scorer once. Personally I think Palffy's peak value trumps the career Mullen compiled, 1063 points in that era isn't an overwhelming total in the face of Palffy's superior collection of high-end seasons.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 02:39 PM
begbeee

Palffy was MOAR talented than Mullen... Palffy was one of the most talented guys in his prime.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Ziostilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw View Post
Fair enough, but it's not like Palffy played 500 games and Mullen played 1500. Palffy was a top 10 scorer 4 times in an era full of great European players, he had a lot of great full seasons. Mullen was a top 10 scorer once. Personally I think Palffy's peak value trumps the career Mullen compiled, 1063 points in that era isn't an overwhelming total in the face of Palffy's superior collection of high-end seasons.
but Mullen won 3 cups. and its not like he was one of the last players in the playoffs scoring list. don't think he was a passenger.

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Kyle McMahon

Coulda, woulda, shoulda argument. If their situations were reversed, maybe Palffy is the one with the better career. But Mullen did score all those playoff points, and did win those Stanley Cups. Sort of like comparing a Glenn Anderson and Clarke Gillies to a Rick Vaive and Wilf Paiement.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:24 PM
jcbio11

vCash: 50
Palffy is great at standing near a horse.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Big Phil

Mullen for me. Palffy was a fine talent though. I just think you would probably want a Mullen on your team if you were a GM. Also, two things:

Mullen had the better career. We know this because he is in the HHOF and with all due respect to Palffy I have never heard even the slightest case for him from anyone, which is fair.

Secondly, I know Mullen is often considered a weak HHOFer. That's fine, he really is at the bottom of the totem pole but that doesn't mean he doesn't belong. We focus on that part of him so much and forget that the guy was a fine little player in his prime in his own right. He contributed to three Cup wins and actually had 7 years where he had 40+ goals. We tend to underrate him that way considering the second his name is brought up there is a chorus of moans in regards to the HHOF. He was a great little player.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:01 AM
tony d
Is it though?

Joe Mullen

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote