HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pierre LeBrun: Kaberle moved by Saturday

Old
06-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

vCash: 500
Why do leafs fans want to deal Kaberle exactly? He's their best Dman signed to a cap friendly contract. I really don't understand this move.

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDEVIL View Post
NO GO!
that's right, it's not enough! a prospect is still only a prospect.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
All Day*

I really want to know which teams joined the sweepstakes.

All Day* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:09 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Boosh View Post
I call ********!

The Pens had traded away their second round pick before going after Poni, so your theory of Burke's intense negotiations to get that second changed to Caputi is simply false.
Actually, Burke claimed when he made the trade that he turned down offers of a 2nd from other teams to get Caputi. Whether or not that was true? who knows, but he didn't exactly have a lot of reason to lie about it.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Just a guess, but how about

To VAN: Kaberle, TOR 3rd rd

To TOR: Raymond, VAN 1st
Unless Gillis has been hauling on a crack pipe since April.....I don't see this happening.

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:12 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadyens View Post
Why do leafs fans want to deal Kaberle exactly? He's their best Dman signed to a cap friendly contract. I really don't understand this move.
Stolen from another thread but sums it up really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTheThrill81 View Post
We need 1 or 2 pieces of high significance or risk.

Losing Kaberle would cause a massive hole for PMD and we don't have the prospects or current NHL players to replace him, at the moment Gunnarsson is a strong positional defensive player who can on occasion chip in offensively, but he is far from a certain PMD. Kaberle is exactly the type of player that this team would need in our defensive corps if we were to lose him, plus if he is willing to stay for under 5 mill then he is a steal and it would be nearly impossible to get a PMD of his caliber at that salary which is important for the leafs all but certain future cap problems when the ELCs are up.

Us leafs fans appear so eager to trade him because we love hypotheticals and are frustrated with the old Kaberle deals that were nixed, and especially since he seems to be our only valuable EXPENDABLE asset. We want the type of deal (Carter + 1st) that we received a couple years ago, but neglect the fact that Carter was not the same player a couple years ago.

People who say that Kaberle is not willing to sign anywhere but the Northeast are just making up an argument to support their point because there is no evidence of that, just one poster said it a long time ago and it has been carried on as a fact which it is not. Look at what Kovi (albeit is in a whole other level than Kaberle) got Atlanta AT THE DEADLINE, when they were also handicapped by the fact that he did not want to sign with them (whereas Kabs wants to stay in Toronto) and the strong suspicion that he wants to test free agency, or get big money either in the NHL or KHL.

Lastly, I'm tired of seeing Toronto fans agree to terrible deals just because Leafs players are undervalued on this boards and don't want to appear as the stereotypical "stupid and greedy Leafs fan" and thus receive criticism because they are afraid of what other posters think. If anything, by doing that, you are just setting a lower bar for what our players should get by agreeing with them, and just causing a lower rate of appreciation for future Leaf fans offers. Then again this is HFBoards, where prospects = God, proven commodities over 25 years old = worthless, 1 year left = certain to test the market and where people comprimise their opinions to have people, who they know over the computer from thousands of miles away and will never meet, agree with them and like them. Say whatever you want, if you want to be whipped by other teams posters, you're not making the situation better for future leaf fans, but actually worse because you're supporting their outragious assumptions of Leaf fans, players and etc

Old
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
Lol, yet that's basically what Toronto got for 4 months of Ponikarovsky. (They were offered a second, and Martin Skoula, and Burke had to negotiate for a while to change the second to Caputi.)

My guess is the deal will be something like this:

To TOR:
David Clarkson
Jacob Josefson

To NJ:
Thomas Kaberle
Juraj Mikus

Josefson could be substituted for a first round pick or a combination of mid-rounders; but Burkie's stated he wants prospects who are closer to the NHL and Josefson has an extra year in the SEL under his belt.
You're not getting Josefsson. And we would like Kaberle only, not throw-ins like Mikus. In fact, I highly doubt Lou will dangle Clarkson. Furthermore, David started weeping when he heard he was in the rumored deal for Kovalchuk.

A deal between Toronto and New Jersey for Kaberle will most likely include Jamie Langenbrunner in some way.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cappo40*

To be dealt by the draft...hmm, pretty sure this was news for a LONG TIME COMING...

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:14 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
You're not getting Josefsson. And we would like Kaberle only, not throw-ins like Mikus. In fact, I highly doubt Lou will dangle Clarkson. Furthermore, David started weeping when he heard he was in the rumored deal for Kovalchuk.

A deal between Toronto and New Jersey for Kaberle will most likely include Jamie Langenbrunner in some way.
i want both dc and jl, if it happens is another story

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:15 AM
alexstream

Please kill me if it's Kaberle to LA for JJ...

Phaneuf, Komisarek, JJ, Beauchemin, Schenn...

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:16 AM
bme44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrooks View Post
I am still betting that its Ryan Clowe and a 2nd rounder.
Time to leave your dream world

bme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Stolen from another thread but sums it up really well.
Thanks. So basically there's no real good reason why the leafs want to deal kaberle except that they're curious what they could get for him... They'll really miss him when he'll be gone.

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:17 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post

Can't blame a player for doing that when he knows teh destination is Atlanta...

Langenbrunner + Clarkson would be an OK starting point for New Jersey, not ideal because Langenbrunner's importance to Toronto is limited by his age...so you'd still be looking at Corrente most likely. Maybe the UFA rights to Martin if Burke thinks he can make it work under the cap. Would NJ do that? tough call. IF they think Martin is walking, problably. They've struggled to get the top-end UFAs to sign there in recent years.

Old
06-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Raptactics29

Quote:
Dion Phaneuf says hi..

The Leafs are trading from an area of strength (defense) to fill a hole they need filled (young, talented forward). With Phaneuf on the team, imo, it makes Kaberle very much expendible..

Raptactics29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:22 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Thanks. So basically there's no real good reason why the leafs want to deal kaberle except that they're curious what they could get for him... They'll really miss him when he'll be gone.
I don't really understand it, either. Burke has said he doesn't want to do a long rebuild, that it's going to be a quick turnaround or bust. Well, as soon as we're good enough to win, we're going to need a top flight PMD. So if it's not going to be a long rebuild and you need a PMD, why get rid of the PMD? Forwards are easier to find than PMD and any lack of grit Kaberle may have is made up for in the other Dmen.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:32 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

The reason we dangle Kaberle around so much is because he's one of the few players on our team that hold any value, and is TRADE-ABLE. He has the most value, and would likely bring back the most return, that's why you usually see all these absurd proposals. But, we'd be just as happy if we kept and resigned him.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:32 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptactics29 View Post
Dion Phaneuf says hi..

The Leafs are trading from an area of strength (defense) to fill a hole they need filled (young, talented forward). With Phaneuf on the team, imo, it makes Kaberle very much expendible..
That's not exactly the case, Phanuef made Komisarek expendable....but we're going to run with him for one more year because Schenn disappointed. Phaneuf isn't really a great puckmover, he can rush it, but only when there is no forecheck. Meanwhile, Burke problably wants to see Phaneuf evolve into more of a Chris Pronger style defenceman rather than a Mike Green. Learn how to be efficient, use your size to your advantage, and become one of the toughest blueliners for forwards to go up against.

They'll need someone good with the puck in his own zone to play with Komisarek & Schenn.

Old
06-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Rude Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bme44 View Post
Will be very intersted in what the leafs get in return.I think it will be a big shock to most leaf fans
Unfortunatley I tend to agree. I think Leaf fans have to tone down our expectations on the return. Mid-level prospect and early 2nd ? Truth be told, i would rather keep Kaberle and trade Beauchemin. Someone has to go, as they have too much money tied up on D. Whoever gets Kaberle, is going to be pleasantly surprised after all the bashing he gets on these boards. The guy never panics.

Last edited by Rude Dog: 06-21-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Rude Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:41 AM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
To Rangers for pick, Jokinen rights, Byers and McDonagh.

newp.

I have a funny feeling it's gonna be Dallas.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:42 AM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
Unfortunatley I tend to agree. I think Leaf fans have to tone down our expectations on the return. Just look at what the Habs got for Halak in return. Unless, he agrees to sign long term, I'm not really expecting that much back that will help us right away. Maybe a 2nd and mid - tier prospect or 3rd line player with grit (such as Clarkson etc).
I think you can expect a 1st from a higher end team, and perhaps a mid-tier prospect. It'll be hard to wretch a first from a non-playoff team.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:43 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

I can see a 1st rounder, maybe in the mid range and a prospect coming the Leafs way. Kaberle is a very good DMan and signed to a great deal for this year.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:51 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
[/b]

newp.

I have a funny feeling it's gonna be Dallas.
ive always thought dallas is a likely destination, they have so many top 6 forwards and need a pmd. but there has been no mention of dallas in any rumours. Guess that doesnt mean a whole lot, but there have been a lot of rumours.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:54 AM
MauDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Can't blame a player for doing that when he knows teh destination is Atlanta...

Langenbrunner + Clarkson would be an OK starting point for New Jersey, not ideal because Langenbrunner's importance to Toronto is limited by his age...so you'd still be looking at Corrente most likely. Maybe the UFA rights to Martin if Burke thinks he can make it work under the cap. Would NJ do that? tough call. IF they think Martin is walking, problably. They've struggled to get the top-end UFAs to sign there in recent years.
Typical HF.

You want Martin's Rights+Corrente+Langs+Clarkson for 1 year of Kaberle?

MauDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:58 AM
flames123

Wow what breaking news... who would've thought that he was going to be moved by Saturday.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:03 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ementy View Post
a 2nd rounder and a mid tier prospect/player would be a steal for Toronto
troll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan View Post
I dont agree considering what was given up for Hamius. I would expect the offer to be similar if not better. Sure Hamius is younger but Kaberle is the better D right now and at least signed.
troll? lol. hamuis is ufa. philly only traded for his rights. if the leafs got parent for kabs and a 7th there would be a riot in toronto. if that is the best burke can get for kabs, kabs is extended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
Lol, yet that's basically what Toronto got for 4 months of Ponikarovsky. (They were offered a second, and Martin Skoula, and Burke had to negotiate for a while to change the second to Caputi.)

My guess is the deal will be something like this:

To TOR:
David Clarkson
Jacob Josefson

To NJ:
Thomas Kaberle
Juraj Mikus

Josefson could be substituted for a first round pick or a combination of mid-rounders; but Burkie's stated he wants prospects who are closer to the NHL and Josefson has an extra year in the SEL under his belt.
jersey might be the only team in the leaf weaker down the middle then the leafs. sure josefson is a great prospect but there is no way jersey trades him. and quit frankly, i dont blame them. we wouldnt want to trade kadri for martin, why would then trade josefson for kaberle.

a deal with jersey might be something like clarkson, atlantas, 2nd, and another mid level prospect. imo jersey is not an ideal trading partner because they need to start stock piling youth as theres guys are getting on the older side. while kabs would no doubt help, they would be hurting themselves but emptying the cupboard for him (imo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrooks View Post
I am still betting that its Ryan Clowe and a 2nd rounder.
as a leaf fan i would make that trade. i would prefer to add something to try to bump the 2nd to a fitst. irrespective, i dont think san jose would have a significant amount of interest in kabs. also, considering clowe and kabs cap hits are pretty close, it doesnt really get them a step closer to signing marleau and nabby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Just a guess, but how about

To VAN: Kaberle, TOR 3rd rd

To TOR: Raymond, VAN 1st
id probably do this as leaf fan but i dont really see vancouver trading raymond. especially after his breakout year. we might be able to package something like our 3rd and stalberg for their first though.

Quote:
i would argue kaberle is not our best defenseman. he is our best offensive defenseman. he is great at moving the puck and running a pp but he isnt our best. i would put phaneuf, gunnarson, and arguably beauchemin above him. schenn/komi are strictly defensive defensemen so i dont think its fair to compare them.

his contract is in its final year so the value of his cheap contract is about to expire by this time next year. while he might sign for a reasonably priced extension in toronto. it is relative as it would likely still be $5 million and change. considering the amount of money on our backend the leafs desperately need to conver kabs cap hit to a forward.

i think it all depends on if burke wants kovy. if he wants kovy then we need the cap space to sign kovy. if thats the case burke is going to look for picks/prospects. basically anything without a caphit. if burke is truly not interested in kovy then he will be looking for more immediate help.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote