HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

No Deal Between Hawks/Caps

Old
06-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Qvist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseygraves View Post
oh noes! I just clicked to begin "following" Dreger on twitter. I just became dumber!
Repent! Save yourself!

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:43 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist View Post
Personally I can live pretty well with waiting those extra minutes until some website have had time to post a story, after considering it and deciding it's good enough information that they're prepared to be associated with it.

Twitter is the electronic equivalent of fish-market rumour-mongering. It doesn't matter who the journalist is. Reliability of information isn't a character trait, it's a product of getting information, assessing it, checking it, confirming it, considering it and then expressing it - all which is the essence of everything Twitter is not. A consistent emphasis on speed and brevity equals absence of content, thought and due critical filters. And it's just tailor-made as a manipulation tool. You think it's just a matter of figuring out who the good journalists are? Well, all it takes is someone who's smart enough to feed the credible journo something that's plausible enough. If it is, it gets twitted. Because you see, he doesn't have the time to check or confirm it. That's how you're getting it an hour before it hits other media, if it's still alive by then. And that's why smart people stay well and truly away from it.

Just my personal opinion.
Much of the content on twitter is identical to that that would be posted in a standard blog post (if it were a roundup style, say, or perhaps quotes).

It is absolutely a question of source. The good sources are going to put caveats if they haven't confirmed. The very good ones don't tweet idle speculation unless they're specifically addressing it in that context. The bad sources should be relatively obvious right off the bat.

Saying smart people avoid twitter is a cop out. If you're smart you can easily use twitter to your advantage and figure out who's worth following and who isn't. It might take a bit of critical thinking at first, but hey, you're smart so why not?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseygraves View Post
oh noes! I just clicked to begin "following" Dreger on twitter. I just became dumber!
You're already a Red Wings fan, and now you're getting even dumber?!? Damn, you're in dangerous waters!

I kid...

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Much of the content on twitter is identical to that that would be posted in a standard blog post (if it were a roundup style, say, or perhaps quotes).
Is that supposed to be an endorsement of quality?

Quote:
It is absolutely a question of source. The good sources are going to put caveats if they haven't confirmed. The very good ones don't tweet idle speculation unless they're specifically addressing it in that context. The bad sources should be relatively obvious right off the bat.

Saying smart people avoid twitter is a cop out. If you're smart you can easily use twitter to your advantage and figure out who's worth following and who isn't.
Sorry, don't agree. The weakness in the format is inherent - I've no use for idle speculation even if it's described as such, I don't much care for a stream of information with caveats and I don't value the excitement of reading something posted five seconds ago so much that I'm prepared to do without context and assessment which, no matter how good the journalist is, actually takes TIME. And I'm specifically not interested in spending an hour reading a stream of largely pointless and constantly updated information, all the valuable bits of which could and will be succinctly expressed in a brief article it takes me two minutes to read if only I'm prepared to wait for 60 minutes.

We live in a firestorm of information. We could all of us spend every waking minute of the day constantly absorbing information that actually detracts from the sum of our knowledge, because most of it is rubbish. Quality control is the first and increasingly crucial precondition of actually getting anything worthwhile out of our unprecedented access to information. It's not just about finding the good things, it's just as much about not wasting your time on the bad. If there's one thing we don't need, it's Twitter.

Again. just my personal opinion.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote