HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jason Spezza Trade Talk

Old
06-21-2010, 01:16 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
And the talent drain in Canada continues...

Since Bettman took over, Canada has seen it's teams lose dozens of proven stars ot US teams. (Don't kid yourselves, Canada. Spezza is moving down south.) Highlighted recently by Pronger and Heatley, of course, since they were both locked up to nice contracts at the time. Edmonton and Calgary oversaw their teams turn from powerhouses into cinderellas. Montreal lost the best goaltender of all time to a team moved to the US just when they were starting to look good. And now Ottawa is the latest Canadian team to have been pillaged of virtually all their drafted talent.

The best UFA to come up to Canada in the meantime: Alex Mogilny. Although he didn't do much in TO either. Other names: Messier (huge fail), Jason Blake (yuck), Thomas, Nieuwendyk, Allison and all those other washed-up vets that TO signed before the cap came into effect.

Most of what comes back up to Canada is used, washed-up and expensive, leaving all the young stars to play in the US in order to promote the game to the 'new fans' in the US that don't exist. It's a pattern that will continue.
Just a question... but how the hell is this Bettman's fault? Teams decline all the time, regardless of whether they are in Canada or not. Look at Tampa Bay and Anaheim? Both have declined since their cup runs and lost valuable players.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Ha what?
1) If Hall is anywhere near as good as Spezza, his contract will be around 3mil (bonuses)
2) What part of Thorntons game is better? Playoffs? Nope, Spezza is WAY better there. Defence? Nope, Spezza is slightly below average. Turnovers? Nope, Thornton is consistently worse in terms of turnovers than Spezza is. Thornton had 2nd most last year, Spezza 56th most. Spezza missed games but prorated, he still would have less turnovers than Thornton, Crosby, Ovie, Datsyuk and Kovalchuk. It's not like Spezza has EVER had more giveaways than Thornton... like ever. His defense is at least on par with Thorntons and really Spezza has average defence for a star player, slightly below average for a forward.
I'd rather have Thornton, to be honest. He seems MUCH more serious and focused on his game. Spezza...ehhh...seems like a bit of a party/good-time guy, got some growing up to do. Thornton was able to make Cheechoo into a 50 goal guy, which Spezza was not able to...

If you talk about playoffs, that's fine but remember that we had an excellent puck-moving defense, Alfredsson on a mission and a weakish Eastern field at the time. Meanwhile in the West...San Jose has had to deal with Detroit, Anaheim, Detroit, Chicago, Vancouver...quite tough competition.

With Thornton only have one year left on his deal and with a fresh start, he'll be VERY motivated to perform. I would welcome him with open arms here in Ottawa. Thornton's speech patterns are also an advantage over Spezza's...

Nothing wrong with either of these players that a change of scenery couldn't fix.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:18 PM
funserious

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant View Post
I'm a Habs fans and I'd gladly give 2 first, along with a good prospect ++ for Spezza, if we had the cap space.

#1 center that produce 90 ~ points (yes I know he hasn't produced as much lately) don't grow on trees.
I don't think we could afford to give up enough for Spezza

It'd probably take Subban, Cammalleri, 1st?

funserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
capwise i dont think philly can even think about this
True. May need to swap Matt Carle in place of Braydon Coburn to make it work.

Carter, Carle, Carcillo
for
Spezza, Campoli

That's just about even in swapping contracts, with Philly getting a little breathing room and the Sens getting a legitimate 40-goal scorer, a top 3 puck rushing defenseman and an aggressive pest to go along with Chris Neil and Jarkko Ruutu to form the most hated trio in the NHL.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:23 PM
PlayersCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock View Post

Wow.

Spezza is being SERIOUSLY over-valued. If this is the value actual GMs are placing on him, Murray would be stupid not to deal him.

He is a 70pt centreman - 90 pts for minus the 20 pucks he causes on his own net.

PlayersCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:24 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
None of those are spare parts. Gagner- legitimate second line centre, future top line centre. Nash and Chorney- Decent prospects who should both by NHL regulars in 2-3 years max. Some more development needed obviously. And the 31st overall pick. Is the value there for Spezza, no. But they are not spare parts.
Alright. Changed my response to:

And by doing that getting a terrible return?

Yah, sounds like a great plan.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:25 PM
PablitoArg

Voracek + 4th Overall + Filatov

For

Spezza + 16th overall

PablitoArg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersCoach View Post
He is a 70pt centreman - 90 pts for minus the 20 pucks he causes on his own net.
What?

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:26 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
True. May need to swap Matt Carle in place of Braydon Coburn to make it work.

Carter, Carle, Carcillo
for
Spezza, Campoli

That's just about even in swapping contracts, with Philly getting a little breathing room and the Sens getting a legitimate 40-goal scorer, a top 3 puck rushing defenseman and an aggressive pest to go along with Chris Neil and Jarkko Ruutu to form the most hated trio in the NHL.
While Spezza is great, the Flyers don't need a center. Richards-Briere-Giroux-Betts is plenty good. Briere can't play wing as the past season has shown, and Giroux is already being wasted on the 3rd line. No Spezza here...Carter needs to bait a goalie or a RW.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:26 PM
JesusNPucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
All I can think about is this:

OK. I have heard about this video several times, but I never watched it before. That was hilarious!

JesusNPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:27 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Wow.

Spezza is being SERIOUSLY over-valued. If this is the value actual GMs are placing on him, Murray would be stupid not to deal him.

Ignorant statement. Watch a couple Sens games before you say something like that. Sure he gives the puck up, but he's nowhere as bad as he was before, people need to realize this.

Old
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PablitoArg View Post

For

Spezza + 16th overall
Don't let Columbus fans see that.

Old
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock View Post

to whole point to get spezza would be to pair him up with cammalleri...

my proposal before might be a little too much but we would have to overpay to get him outta there plus into the same division...

we would get rid of andrei kostitsyn's contract and the sens would still have a great 1st line in kovalev-plekanec-andrei kostitsyn, add 2 first rounders with that, i dont see why the sens wouldnt want this...

plus, their 2nd line would be regin-fischer-alfy... not too shabby

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Wow.

This is why your opinion is so ridiculous. Spezza had like 25 less turnovers that Crosby. Crosby is a 80 point scorer- 110pts minus the 30 pucks he puts in his own net.
That's what you're saying.

If I said that about Crosby people would literally flame me to near death and I'd probably have 15-20 people call me retarded per page. You said it about Spezza. Their turn overs are no different. Both end with a puck on the other teams stick. Crosby just does it more often.

I love how every ignorant post so far has been totally shot down by myself and others, yet the same people will spread the same views next Spezza thread because they need something to justify their feelings on his value that has basically been warped by negative media.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:29 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post

my proposal before might be a little too much but we would have to overpay to get him outta there plus into the same division...

we would get rid of andrei kostitsyn's contract and the sens would still have a great 1st line in kovalev-plekanec-andrei kostitsyn, add 2 first rounders with that, i dont see why the sens wouldnt want this...

Haha wasn't that Montreal's 2nd line a season or two ago?

Old
06-21-2010, 01:29 PM
bdp

Nice to see Murray say that he won't trade him unless he gets an offer he can't refuse. That should shut a lot of people up.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post

There's a lot of good value in the package if we could get Plekanec signed (I doubt his rights are worth much, though) but even though I like the Kostitsyns as players, I seriously, seriously doubt Murray would entertain acquiring them. I also doubt he has any interest of trading Spezza within the division.

Old
06-21-2010, 01:32 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Haha wasn't that Montreal's 2nd line a season or two ago?
it was our best line, when kovy posted 85 pts and andrei scored 27 goals, it was pleks career year at the time with 69 pts, but now he got 70 this year so,

like i said, my proposal seems fair, sens obviously lose a great center, but they get 2 young top 6 players that have instant chemistry with kovalev, a head-case but with great potential in sergei, and 2 first rounders...

its a better deal than what boston gor for kessel at the time... we all knew the leafs would suck but maybe not that crappy

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by PablitoArg View Post

For

Spezza + 16th overall
Nope. Voracek not included.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Manny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
Dubinsky, McDonagh and a 10th?
Done.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Spezza in top 5 in PPG over the past 5 years. If you think Hall will be better than any of Malkin, Crosby, or Ovechkin during his career well you're just wrong. So basically at best Hall will be 4th in PPG over a 5 year stretch during his career. Spezza has been 5th. So at worst you're looking at the difference between Thornton and Spezza offensively.

That is assuming Hall hits his utmost peak. Spezza isn't in his prime yet.

Think about this. Analyze the facts and just think about it please. I don't see how you can make much of an argument against this. Hall could be great but to say that Spezza isn't worth the possibility that Hall is slightly better than him offensively is pretty off.
Hall wont be overpaid by 2 million

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
i still think he ends up in edmonton...

sam gagner, riley nash, taylor chorney, edmonton's 2nd...

this would free up a TON of salary for murray, which should probably be his focus if he trades spezza...

this trade would really help ottawa with a rebuild as well, which they should be focusing on if spezza goes anyways...
i counter with penner, cogliano and smid except i didnt like that deal last year and i liked heatley alot more then spezza and now penner and smid have improved. Anything with gagner i say no to

Old
06-21-2010, 01:40 PM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano View Post
Nice to see Murray say that he won't trade him unless he gets an offer he can't refuse. That should shut a lot of people up.
Whats he supposed to say? "We'll take anything really. Offer us something and if we don't hear something better by the end of the day we'll take it"

He's doing his job. Heatley wasn't going to be traded either, remember? Phaneuf wasn't going to be traded and was part of the foundation of Calgarys future. At least that's what we heard from Sutter, only to see Dion traded the next day for peanuts. Just like Heater.

I just love seeing guys on the internet saying "The first overall +++, and if you don't like it, you won't get him!"
Oh really? You guys were saying the same thing last year. So were other teams when their star players were moved. Spezza has been compared to Thornton in this thread. What exactly did Boston get back for him again? What about Halak? He was supposed to be worth the world, and they got a promising prospect and decent prospect in return.

You don't get equal value when trading a star player anymore. If you'd like, tell me the last star player traded for a decent return. If you're able to, I'll have 5 trades where the return was garbage for every one you can name in the last few years.

No one can say for sure if Spezza will be traded, but if he is, you guys are going to get fleeced. Not the first overall. Something similar to Penner + Cogliano. Smid would not be a part of the deal anymore.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:41 PM
RainingRats

Ideally, Horton, Reino, Dadanov and the #33 for Spezza

Realistically, Horton, Reino, #3, Dadonov/Repik/Ellerby for Spezza and ?

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano View Post
why he said the same thing with heatley