HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RW.....and more, We Still Need Help.

Old
06-21-2010, 02:44 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

vCash: 500
RW.....and more, We Still Need Help.

We have a few holes to fill but this is a position that we need to start building. We brought in Williams who is pretty good when healthy but that's the knock against him. Brown and Simmonds are of the same cloth, I see the Night Train being better soon and we also have Clifford coming up who is a Simmonds-Brown 2.0....That's it. Is this a position we need to address this year, via draft or trade. I don't mind giving Williams one more year but the health issue is there. Brown's a puck hog and Simmonds is still learning. Your thoughts.

Other thought...

We still have 4 glaring holes,

RW top line
LW sniper
2nd line center
Dman top 4

That's quite a bit. We still have work to do before we are serious contenders.Who would you like to fill those spots with. Keep it in the Cap and use the farm. Include trades.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 02:50 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

-Bring in Marleau to center the 2nd line.
-Trade Stoll+ for a D-Man
-Trade picks/prospects for Gagne(they won't be able to afford to take on a roster player, unless on an ELC)

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Marleau-Brown
Parse-Handzus-Simmonds
Lewis-Richardson-Westgarth

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

DL covets centers more than wingers. His philosophy is a great center can elevate his line mates play. Don't expect him to spend high cap dollars to wingers unless it is Ovechkin. If they sign Kovy, it will be cap friendly or he can go to the Rags.

Dave in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I don't consider Simmonds and Brown all that similar and I am skeptical over whether or not Simmonds could tump Brown in the lineup or overall skill and ability, but I think the Kings will hold off on the RW position this offseason as we go forward. We may acquire a forward that can swap sides and maybe bump Smyth back up with Kopitar and replace Williams on his right, but either way I think Dean's primary interest lies on Kopitar's left wing. I think the only two needs the Kings are looking to address this offseason is another experienced 4-6 defenceman and a top line winger.

Kovalchuk/Marleau and maybe Volchenkov would do the trick. Though if Dean acquires either one of those wingers aforementioned, I can see him looking for a bare minumum salary 6-7 defenseman to tide us over till the kids are ready to save salary for Simmonds, Doughty, and Johnson next season.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 02:56 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I don't consider Simmonds and Brown all that similar and I am skeptical over whether or not Simmonds could tump Brown in the lineup or overall skill and ability, but I think the Kings will hold off on the RW position this offseason as we go forward. We may acquire a forward that can swap sides and maybe bump Smyth back up with Kopitar and replace Williams on his right, but either way I think Dean's primary interest lies on Kopitar's left wing. I think the only two needs the Kings are looking to address this offseason is another experienced 4-6 defenceman and a top line winger.

Kovalchuk/Marleau and maybe Volchenkov would do the trick.
If it wasn't for that darn cap.

Old
06-21-2010, 02:58 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:

Kovalchuk/Marleau and maybe Volchenkov would do the trick. Though if Dean acquires either one of those wingers aforementioned, I can see him looking for a bare minumum salary 6-7 defenseman to tide us over till the kids are ready to save salary for Simmonds, Doughty, and Johnson next season.
Simmonds just seems to be further ahead then when Brown started, I need to look at the stat's. Guess I'm not the biggest Brownie fan though. I may be jaded. Do ya think Simmonds is more top 6 and Brown is more 3rd line banger who can score.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:04 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in LA View Post
DL covets centers more than wingers. His philosophy is a great center can elevate his line mates play. Don't expect him to spend high cap dollars to wingers unless it is Ovechkin. If they sign Kovy, it will be cap friendly or he can go to the Rags.
This.

Meaning that if he brings in Marleau at $6M+, it will likely be as a center.

Old
06-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
We will sign a 1st line LWer. The RW your talking about is named Wayne Simmonds. He'll breakout and net 25-30 goals as the top line RW. The 2nd line center your talking about is named Jarret Stoll. If the guy played 82 games he could've got 50 points. Your saying 50 points isn't worthy enough of 2nd line center duty. He's solid both ways and only costs us 3.5 mil.

UFA-Kopitar-Simmonds-95 goals
Smyth-Stoll-Williams-possible 65-70 goals
Parse/Richardson-Handzus-Brown- 55-60 goals

We're in good shape, plus throw in another Dman and Bernier. Easily finish higher in the standings than last season.

Last edited by Cook24: 06-21-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
Simmonds just seems to be further ahead then when Brown started, I need to look at the stat's. Guess I'm not the biggest Brownie fan though. I may be jaded. Do ya think Simmonds is more top 6 and Brown is more 3rd line banger who can score.
I look at Brown as an ideal 2nd line winger and Simmonds as an ideal 3rd line winger. Perhaps Simmonds can overcome some barriers and take things to the next level, but I don't see him as a viable solution for a top 6 role for any sustained period of time. They are both potential franchise players for us at the end of the day, but I see Brown as always having more value and a higher rank within the organization.

Last edited by Telos: 06-21-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old
06-21-2010, 03:08 PM
LombardiTool

Now I may be confused so bare with me. LAst season, we had only 3 natural left wingers. Ryan Smyth, Alexander Frolov and Raitus Ivanans. Now, 2 of theem are all but gone. My math isnt good but 3-2 is one correct? I think RW is the VERY VERY least of our worries.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:10 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
We will sign a 1st line LWer. The RW your talking about is named Wayne Simmonds. He'll breakout and net 25-30 goals as the top line RW. The 2nd line center your talking about is named Jarret Stoll. If the guy played 82 games he could've got 50 points. Your saying 50 points isn't worthy enough of 2nd line center duty. He's solid both ways and only costs us 3.5 mil.

UFA-Kopitar-Simmonds
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Parse/Richardson-Handzus-Brown

We're in good shape, plus throw in another Dman and Bernier. Easily finish higher in the standings than last season.
How much higher will be decided by how SJ addresses their situation in goal.

Old
06-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
Now I may be confused so bare with me. LAst season, we had only 3 natural left wingers. Ryan Smyth, Alexander Frolov and Raitus Ivanans. Now, 2 of theem are all but gone. My math isnt good but 3-2 is one correct? I think RW is the VERY VERY least of our worries.
We have Smyth, Parse, and Richardson. Richie will play LW if we need him to. We will sign 1 top line LW. That's 4 LWers. Not counting any rookies that might make it like Clifford. If Clifford makes it, Richie goes back to Center.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Steven

vCash: 1619
Hey guys, Flames fan here. Would Hagman be of any interest to you for that LW sniper spot? He's a good 25-30 goals, especially in the top-six of a team like yours. I've heard the idea of Hagman for Möller tossed around, is that even close? Maybe a third rounder from us as well?

Thanks.

Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Hey guys, Flames fan here. Would Hagman be of any interest to you for that LW sniper spot? He's a good 25-30 goals, especially in the top-six of a team like yours. I've heard the idea of Hagman for Möller tossed around, is that even close? Maybe a third rounder from us as well?

Thanks.
Where have you heard the idea tossed around?

Boba Fettuccine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:26 PM
funky

Williams, Brown, Simmonds are all capable mix and match top 9 RW'ers.

If you sign Kovalchuk and pair him with Williams and Kopitar we are better then last year.

Smyth moves to 2nd line LW with Brown and Stoll and that line is better then last year.

3rd line still strong with Handzud and Simmer but Frolov will be hard to replace.

4th line may host Schenn, Clifford, Westgarth, Clune, Lewis etc - should be fast and good checking.

I think Kovalchuk alone solidifies not only our #1 line, but our whole top 9

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Where have you heard the idea tossed around?
There was a proposal on the trade board a couple weeks ago, and at least one Kings fan said it was reasonable. I'm assuming from your reaction it isn't. I just figured with the depth of your prospect pool, especially at center, Möller might be available.

Old
06-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

I see Moller for Hagman and maybe a pick as being very reasonable. I could easily see it happening if the Kings miss out on free agency. It just wouldn't be very high on their plans.

Old
06-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Johnny Utah

Kings started the playoffs like this...

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Frolov-Stoll-Brown
Richardson-Handzus-Simmonds
Ivanans-Halpern-Modin

It ended with Ivanans and Williams scratched and Parse and Clune in, Modin moved up to the 3rd line.

So you figure one of Richardson or Parse stays on the 3rd line, Frolov is the top 6 LW that needs to be replaced and Clune stays on the 4th line with either Richie/Parse and either Cliche, Clifford or Westgarth.

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
UFA-Stoll-Brown
Clune/Clifford-Cliche-Parse/Westgarth

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Kings started the playoffs like this...

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Frolov-Stoll-Brown
Ivanans-Halpern-Modin

It ended with Ivanans and Williams scratched and Parse and Clune in, Modin moved up to the 3rd line.

So you figure one of Richardson or Parse stays on the 3rd line, Frolov is the top 6 LW that needs to be replaced and Clune stays on the 4th line with either Richie/Parse and either Cliche, Clifford or Westgarth.

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
UFA-Stoll-Brown
Clune/Clifford-Cliche-Parse/Westgarth
Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Parse-Handzus-Simmonds
Westgarth-Richardson-Clifford

What say you?

Old
06-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Steven

Quote:
I see Moller for Hagman and maybe a pick as being very reasonable. I could easily see it happening if the Kings miss out on free agency. It just wouldn't be very high on their plans.
It just seems like the free agent pool this year is so thin, outside of the likes of Kovalchuk and Marleau atleast. What's the deal with Frolov anyways? He seems capable of filling that LW sniper role. Salary demands?

Old
06-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Johnny Utah

Ha. I really hope so dude...I really do.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
It just seems like the free agent pool this year is so thin, outside of the likes of Kovalchuk and Marleau atleast. What's the deal with Frolov anyways? He seems capable of filling that LW sniper role. Salary demands?
Pretty much. It is organization's opinions of how much they gain from Frolov versus how much they would be paying him. I think they will go a different direction even if we miss out on the top UFA's and if Frolov is still sitting there. It is a distant possibility, but Frolov would have to maintain his currently salary or take a slight paycut to stay and it is hard to see that happening again. LA doesn't exactly treat him as a second line winger and he doesn't exactly always perform as a second line winger...

Old
06-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Steven

Quote:
Pretty much. It is organization's opinions of how much they gain from Frolov versus how much they would be paying him. I think they will go a different direction even if we miss out on the top UFA's and if Frolov is still sitting there. It is a distant possibility, but Frolov would have to maintain his currently salary or take a slight paycut to stay and it is hard to see that happening again. LA doesn't exactly treat him as a second line winger and he doesn't exactly always perform as a second line winger...
Really? I thought he was pretty much a surefire top-six kind of player. It almost seems like he is the best LW available after Kovalchuk. Maybe Alexei Ponikarovsky? Although I would foresee salary demands coming into play again.

Old
06-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Really? I thought he was pretty much a surefire top-six kind of player. It almost seems like he is the best LW available after Kovalchuk. Maybe Alexei Ponikarovsky? Although I would foresee salary demands coming into play again.
He likely is. It is a complicated situation. He has second line winger written all over him, but the organization refuses to acknowledge it and demands top 3 player from him. If you give him a good line and let him play his game, he can easily pot 30 goals and 30 assists with ease and given the strength of the line, those numbers have the ability to skyrocket. I have a feeling, if Detroit miraculously had the cap space, that if he ended up in that system, he would wind up an 80 point player and potential 40 goal scorer. Though Frolov has always given everyone the impression that he could be an elite winger, and people just have to learn to accept the 30 goals and 60 points, but as of late, the Kings have been going further than that and bouncing him around the bottom 6 of the lineup as well because of his good two-way play. It is a toss-up, but I have a feeling whoever picks him up will be pleasantly surprised.

Old
06-21-2010, 03:56 PM
MxH0CKEY

If Frolov wants to be part of a cup contending team in a few years I think he would take a cap cut.

MxH0CKEY is offline   Reply With Quote