HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sergei Gonchar is heading for the open market

Old
06-21-2010, 06:09 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboknows View Post
I certainly don't want to turn this into a Kaberle thread where ridiculous propositions are given from all sides, but as a simple question to Pens fans.

If Gonchar walks, is it fair to say that Pits would actively be seeking Kaberle?
No. Its fair to say that they have confidence in Letang and Goligoski. Both had good post seasons after disappointing regular seasons and are locked up for the next couple of years.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:15 PM
jboknows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
NO. Not unless they get shut out of every other member of the top 5 UFA D-men...and even then I don't think Kaberle is on the radar.

They have puck movers. They need physicality and shutdown ability.
Fair enough- I was curious about team needs... I was assuming that considering Gonchar's style perhaps this would leave you with a bit of a void, but I wasn't really sure the abilty of your younger guys at running the PP, etc.

jboknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:05 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboknows View Post
I certainly don't want to turn this into a Kaberle thread where ridiculous propositions are given from all sides, but as a simple question to Pens fans.

If Gonchar walks, is it fair to say that Pits would actively be seeking Kaberle?
Not unless they lose out on UFAs. Pittsburgh is in an interesting cap spot...they don't reallly have that many issues right now or in the near future because their core is on a long term deal, and as teh Penguins, shouldn't have trouble attracting free agents. Assuming the cap increase to $58.8, they've got $13m to spend on 7 players. Add a marquee name on the blueline in free agnecy (~$5m), and theyve still got $8m to spend on 6 players. With that you can still spend $2-3m on a single forward with ease. Next year, nobody overly significant has an expiring contract. My guess is that they go the way of a guy like Paul Martin, Colby Armstrong, and then just fill out the roster with cheap players.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:40 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockfan View Post
He is worth about $3M per year, if he wants a mutiple year deal, your looking at $8M over 3 years.
Try again.

Since the lockout, he's the 2nd highest scoring defenseman in the NHL in terms of points-per-game.

Gonchar: 54 goals, 205 assists, 259 points in 322 games (0.80ppg)
Lidstrom: 64 goals, 256 assists, 320 points in 396 games (0.81ppg)

Nobody else is over 0.73ppg; they're far ahead of the others. The best of the rest include Boyle, Markov, Niedermayer, Green, Visnovsky, Kaberle, Pronger, Rafalski - all of whom are between 0.77 and 0.66). On that list only Kaberle makes under $5m.

For whatever weaknesses he can present a team in his own zone, he is still undeniably one of the best offensive defensemen in the NHL.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:43 PM
cynic*

Send a message via Yahoo to cynic*
I wouldn't think Kaberle is totally out of discussion. I mean if they needed physicality and shutdown ability they wouldn't go after Gonchar imo. the problem is Letang/Goligoski are not ready to QB the PP of a team that wants to win the Cup next season. anyway,if Gonchar gets signed I can see Letang being eventually traded.

cynic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

No way Letang gets traded. Goligoski is a possibility, but also highly unlikely to be dealt if Gonchar leaves. At some point the Pens have to turn their PP over to Goligoski and Letang since they are the future and they've invested in both financially.

Gonchar clearly wants more than his 5 million/per. I don't think giving him 4.0 - 4.5 would have been a problem. The years and the bigger cap hit are the likely problem.

I'd argue the Pens need a defensive D-Man or two to balance things out with their young offensive D-Men like Letang and Goligoski more than they need Gonchar. However, Gonchar is a #1 D-Man, albeit with flaws defensively, but average D and elite O is better than most of what they'll be able to get for a #1 D-Man on the open market.

I don't see Kaberle being a possibility here. Pens won't want to part with the assets necessary to get him.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:00 PM
cynic*

Send a message via Yahoo to cynic*
I don't think there's no way Letang gets traded giving Goligoski's friendly cap-hit. of course IF Gonchar is re-signed.

cynic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
Anyway,if Gonchar gets signed I can see Letang being eventually traded.
That would be a monumental mistake.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:49 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
I wouldn't think Kaberle is totally out of discussion. I mean if they needed physicality and shutdown ability they wouldn't go after Gonchar imo. the problem is Letang/Goligoski are not ready to QB the PP of a team that wants to win the Cup next season. anyway,if Gonchar gets signed I can see Letang being eventually traded.
No, not even if Gonch is signed is Letang going to be traded. 'Maybe' GoGo but not Letang.

Last edited by nwpensfan: 06-21-2010 at 10:04 PM.
nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:51 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
No way Letang gets traded. Goligoski is a possibility, but also highly unlikely to be dealt if Gonchar leaves. At some point the Pens have to turn their PP over to Goligoski and Letang since they are the future and they've invested in both financially.

Gonchar clearly wants more than his 5 million/per. I don't think giving him 4.0 - 4.5 would have been a problem. The years and the bigger cap hit are the likely problem.

I'd argue the Pens need a defensive D-Man or two to balance things out with their young offensive D-Men like Letang and Goligoski more than they need Gonchar. However, Gonchar is a #1 D-Man, albeit with flaws defensively, but average D and elite O is better than most of what they'll be able to get for a #1 D-Man on the open market.

I don't see Kaberle being a possibility here. Pens won't want to part with the assets necessary to get him.
That says it all! I believe other teams will see it the same way and Kabs will sign in Toronto.

Old
06-21-2010, 09:56 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Not unless they lose out on UFAs. Pittsburgh is in an interesting cap spot...they don't reallly have that many issues right now or in the near future because their core is on a long term deal, and as teh Penguins, shouldn't have trouble attracting free agents. Assuming the cap increase to $58.8, they've got $13m to spend on 7 players. Add a marquee name on the blueline in free agnecy (~$5m), and theyve still got $8m to spend on 6 players. With that you can still spend $2-3m on a single forward with ease. Next year, nobody overly significant has an expiring contract. My guess is that they go the way of a guy like Paul Martin, Colby Armstrong, and then just fill out the roster with cheap players.
Even if the Pens do not do well in UFA market and Gonch leaves, to get Kaberle will cost assets to Pens that are just not worth it given BB asking price. I do not see Pens in Kaberle derby unless price comes down (highly unlikely).

Old
06-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
That would be a monumental mistake.
Not to mention he was just signed to a significant extension. Letang is part of the Penguins team moving forward.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:21 PM
ronnyweed

replace him with souray and then pens fans wont have to watch him not take the body in the playoffs again

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:25 PM
PensFreak

I will miss him, but i think we'll end up being a better team without him. I think Letang is gonna shine next year

PensFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Tavaresfan91

i hope the islanders throw some money his way july 1st

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:39 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
Even if the Pens do not do well in UFA market and Gonch leaves, to get Kaberle will cost assets to Pens that are just not worth it given BB asking price. I do not see Pens in Kaberle derby unless price comes down (highly unlikely).
That too. One thing that the Pens have done over the last couple years is trade quite a few young assets for the sake of deadline deals every year (partially because of cap space issues) which might have taken a bit of a toll on their ability to make future trades. Beyond Tangradi, the prospect system doesn't have much quality left and they really shouldn't be looking to move Goligoski or Staal on their cap-stabilized contracts; especiallly since they can't really be replaced internallly. With Gonchar over 35, committing a big cap hit or multiple years really doesn't make sense.

This seems like the right time to try and trade his rights (or do like Toronto did w/ Sundin and simply allow team X to speak with him, and if he agrees, the trade goes down) to pick up another pick (likely a 2011 selection), and then go out and sign one of the bigger and younger names knowing that you can problably get them to a multi-year deal. Paul Martin or Zbynek Michalek would be good fits and IMO would make them better on the blueline than with Gonchar.

They're not really in the same position as a team like New Jersey, New York Islanders, Anaheim, St. Louis; who might have trouble attracting a marquee name / paying the required dollars and place a premium on getting a guy below market value for this year. Pittsburgh would likely be a top destination for any of the defenceman. They're OK on teh cap, and don't really have to worry about big new contracts until the 13/14 season when Staal & Crosby expire.

As I mentioned above, you sign a defenceman for $5m. A guy like Armstrong for around $2.5m, and then you've got $5.5m left to spend on 5 players. One of which has to be a #4/5 defenceman, but the rest can be sub-1million players. Shouldn't be too big of an issue. The real big problem with trading for Kaberle is that although he'll leave more space open on the right side, the kind of talent on the right side this year isn't hte kind of calibre that a team would want to be investing big money into. If they trade for Kaberle, they won't have anything left to trade for an upgrade on the right.

Last edited by seanlinden: 06-21-2010 at 11:45 PM.
seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:29 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
That too. One thing that the Pens have done over the last couple years is trade quite a few young assets for the sake of deadline deals every year (partially because of cap space issues) which might have taken a bit of a toll on their ability to make future trades. Beyond Tangradi, the prospect system doesn't have much quality left and they really shouldn't be looking to move Goligoski or Staal on their cap-stabilized contracts; especiallly since they can't really be replaced internallly. With Gonchar over 35, committing a big cap hit or multiple years really doesn't make sense.

This seems like the right time to try and trade his rights (or do like Toronto did w/ Sundin and simply allow team X to speak with him, and if he agrees, the trade goes down) to pick up another pick (likely a 2011 selection), and then go out and sign one of the bigger and younger names knowing that you can problably get them to a multi-year deal. Paul Martin or Zbynek Michalek would be good fits and IMO would make them better on the blueline than with Gonchar.

They're not really in the same position as a team like New Jersey, New York Islanders, Anaheim, St. Louis; who might have trouble attracting a marquee name / paying the required dollars and place a premium on getting a guy below market value for this year. Pittsburgh would likely be a top destination for any of the defenceman. They're OK on teh cap, and don't really have to worry about big new contracts until the 13/14 season when Staal & Crosby expire.

As I mentioned above, you sign a defenceman for $5m. A guy like Armstrong for around $2.5m, and then you've got $5.5m left to spend on 5 players. One of which has to be a #4/5 defenceman, but the rest can be sub-1million players. Shouldn't be too big of an issue. The real big problem with trading for Kaberle is that although he'll leave more space open on the right side, the kind of talent on the right side this year isn't hte kind of calibre that a team would want to be investing big money into. If they trade for Kaberle, they won't have anything left to trade for an upgrade on the right.
This is what I would like to see. Agree with pretty much all of your post. Would be nice to bring in Kaberle signed to an reasonable extension but if he is going to fetch close to $6M, that is another reason it does not make sense for Pens.

Old
06-22-2010, 11:15 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
replace him with souray and then pens fans wont have to watch him not take the body in the playoffs again
No, Pens fans would have to watch him eating nachos in the pressbox with Eric Godard.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Teezax

Couldn't be happier as a Flyers' fan.
He was one of the main instruments in the Penguins' Pwnership of the Flyers in the last few years, glad he's he gonzo. I can see him in Vancouver.

Teezax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Rakunitz23

Someone else in the thread said florida, and I can definitely see Tallon giving him like 6 million for 3 years in Florida. He already won so he doesn't care about that, he probably just wants to recoup his money from the golf course scam a few years ago. It's a shame he has to go, i'll definitely miss his child like face

Rakunitz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:36 PM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Gonchar: 54 goals, 205 assists, 259 points in 322 games (0.80ppg)
Lidstrom: 64 goals, 256 assists, 320 points in 396 games (0.81ppg)
THIS is what scares me about Gonchar

nally is offline   Reply With Quote