Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

nathan horton

Old
06-20-2010, 10:28 AM
shleeban

vCash: 500
nathan horton

since its been rumored from numerous places that the wild are in on the horton sweepstakes from some pretty credible sources. i figured itd be fun to look into what fans think it would take to get him here.

Horton has the hands to pot goals as hes shown in the past. but is a few years removed from any notable feats. I see him on a first line with koivu and bruno and believe he could suceed much like the lats trade. If i remeber hes signed for 3 years at 4m,4.5m, and 5.5m.

what would it take?

im thinking schultz and harding. maybe we can dump sheppard in there.

shleeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 11:04 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I sincerely hope the Wild do not trade for Horton. I want no part of this guy on this Wild team. Especially at his cap hit. I just do not care for his work ethic one bit. Considering his whole skill set, he should be a dominant player and he just seems reluctant to play to his potential.

If the Wild are trading for a Florida player, it should be Weiss or bust. But like I've said before, I'd just prefer they stand pat and hold onto assets. One player here or there minus another (or more) on this team just seems to be a lateral move at best. Just reeks of making a move just to make a move. Given the state of the Wild at this current point, that's a mistake in my opinion.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 11:16 AM
melinko

I would take a chance on him as long as Weiss came with him, I don't think we can improve that much from just 1 player unless we are giving up only draft picks. But having 2 top 6 players come over could change our forward corps dramatically.

We are in a pretty crappy position where to get anything we will be opening a hole somewhere else, we don't have prospects to trade, if we trade the draft pick, we wont have prospects, and if we trade burns we have to hope our young dmen prospects can step up and play great.

All options make us weaker in 1 area that we can't really afford to be weaker in.

Safest move is to try and sign Plekanec but he is going to cost more than he is worth and could cause problems down the road.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

If, and I say if, GMCF can bring in Horton and PMB comes back, our forwards may potentially look something like this

Brunette - Koivu - Horton
Havlat - PMB - Latendresse
Clutterbuck - Brodziak - Kobasew
Sheppard - Wellman - Miettinen

I like that alot.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 11:49 AM
shleeban

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
If, and I say if, GMCF can bring in Horton and PMB comes back, our forwards may potentially look something like this

Brunette - Koivu - Horton
Havlat - PMB - Latendresse
Clutterbuck - Brodziak - Kobasew
Sheppard - Wellman - Miettinen

I like that alot.
i like it alot too

shleeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 11:52 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Not trying to be jerk or anything but I have a question.

What about Bouchard's game convinces anyone that he can play center at an even acceptable level in the NHL?

Sure, I'd love to see him work out because quite frankly, this team needs him to with what his contract situation looks like. But I just don't see it. He's extremely poor in the circle. Very unwilling to get deep enough in the defensive zone in work in the dirty spots along the boards while defending. Those are the two things I just never see him being able to overcome.

Old
06-20-2010, 11:53 AM
FinlandPanther

wild have no chance at getting horton unless your first pick or mikko is involved.

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 11:55 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
wild have no chance at getting horton
Fine by me. Especially at that cost. Quite frankly, he's not that great of a player.

Old
06-20-2010, 12:15 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

gaborik was elite level skill with sometimes motivational problems and people said ridiculous things like "I'd take a guy like clutterbuck on my team any day over gaborik!" Can't imagine that Horton would be too popular if he displayed the same sort of attitude with 1/4 the skill.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 12:24 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

What about Bouchard's game convinces anyone that he can play center at an even acceptable level in the NHL?

Sure, I'd love to see him work out because quite frankly, this team needs him to with what his contract situation looks like. But I just don't see it. He's extremely poor in the circle. Very unwilling to get deep enough in the defensive zone in work in the dirty spots along the boards while defending. Those are the two things I just never see him being able to overcome.
Well it's still leftover buzz from last off-season. Fletcher/Richards said they were going to try him out to see if that was their answer but they never got a chance to actually see. I'm doubtful myself, but doesn't it makes sense from their POV to at least give it a shot rather than hack apart their current assets just to get a #2 center they might already have? If a good deal comes along you can still maybe swing it but if you have to give up a big part of your very few "future of the wild" assets to get another piece (hopefully) of the future, I'd want to methodically try out and write off what I already have first. That would be my take on their attitude last year. This year...

Bouchards chances at being an effective centerman took a big hit with his entire year off--the previous year he had actually "bulked up" and was being teased by teammates for being a little beefcake. He can't be in very good shape after absolutely no exercise. We can't wait around another year for him to A) regain his hockey sense, and B) get back to a physical state where he could play effectively in the middle of a scrum.

Old
06-20-2010, 12:24 PM
BigT2002

Quote:

I'm with this. The man is absolutely terrible at Center and still has defensive lapses and you put him on a line with Lats (pretty damn flat footed when it comes to transition) and Marty, who in his own right has lapses. Not to mention, I wouldn't bank on Bouchard playing more than 60 games this season anyways. And having Wellman on the fourth line is going to piss off the Moderator

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I'm with this. The man is absolutely terrible at Center and still has defensive lapses and you put him on a line with Lats (pretty damn flat footed when it comes to transition) and Marty, who in his own right has lapses. Not to mention, I wouldn't bank on Bouchard playing more than 60 games this season anyways. And having Wellman on the fourth line is going to piss off the Moderator
I like Wellman, just didn't know where to put him lol. He's not ready for the top 2 lines and he's not fit for the checking line...
I put PMB there because I was assuming we acquired Horton and then PMB's cap hit so we probably wouldn't have enough money for a UFA #2 centerman.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 12:57 PM
saywut

I don't understand the interest in Horton. Horton is slow, and we're already a slow team. He is incredibly soft given his ~.5 hits per game last season, for a player considered to be a "power forward" that is a disgrace. To put that in perspective, he's about as physical as Eric Belanger, and that is playing as a winger. He's never lived up to his potential and given his poor work ethic there shouldn't be any interest to acquire him.

Weiss on the other hand, he'd help this team a ton. Florida wouldn't need Schultz or Harding at any price, as they have enough veteran D and Markstrom is the best goalie prospect out there right now.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:13 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
I like Wellman, just didn't know where to put him lol. He's not ready for the top 2 lines and he's not fit for the checking line...
I put PMB there because I was assuming we acquired Horton and then PMB's cap hit so we probably wouldn't have enough money for a UFA #2 centerman.
lol I figured, I was just saying Gopher will be pissed because of his incredible bromance crush he has on Casey. If we keep him up at the big club, he deserves decent chunk of minutes. Bouchard and him may swap halfway through the season if that were the case. I just don't buy into Bouchard one bit without an effective person who can take the one-timer from him.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:06 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Stop hating on the figure skating midget.Were a pierre marc bouchard away from the playoffs. He gave you 50 assists a year in a extreme defensive system. You people forget that the kid can play when healthy. I'm sick of it.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:14 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
lol I figured, I was just saying Gopher will be pissed because of his incredible bromance crush he has on Casey. If we keep him up at the big club, he deserves decent chunk of minutes. Bouchard and him may swap halfway through the season if that were the case. I just don't buy into Bouchard one bit without an effective person who can take the one-timer from him.
Hey, I'll be fine if Casey starts the year in Houston rather than the pressbox. I swear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
Stop hating on the figure skating midget.Were a pierre marc bouchard away from the playoffs. He gave you 50 assists a year in a extreme defensive system. You people forget that the kid can play when healthy. I'm sick of it.
Easy...

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
He's an extremely soft one-dimensional playmaker with no shot. Or at least was the last time he was healthy, assuming he can get back to that point is just that - an assumption.

He NEEDS someone to just ditch the puck to (ala Rolston) because he could never handle when anyone leaned on him in the slightest. We don't really have anyone like that right now, as we still lack a pure shooter anywhere on our team.

Yes, he had great vision. Yes, he had the ability to make great passes. And yes, he was a very solid skater.

All of those facts were prior to one of the worst cases of post-concussion syndrome the NHL has seen post-lockout.

I'll sum up here... Lets assume he's actually healthy, can you imagine him being less physical and shying away from contact more? That right there is why people are critical of him. He needed slight breeze to be knocked off the puck before, now he's had a near career-ending injury in which one bad hit may be the end... It's not a great recipe for success.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:23 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

You forget what the patrick kane's and daniel briere's did in the playoffs....those guys are tiny. They score, playmake, and take penalties for being small. You cannot argue this.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
You forget what the patrick kane's and daniel briere's did in the playoffs....those guys are tiny. They score, playmake, and take penalties for being small. You cannot argue this.
You're the one trying to make that argument. The players you mention have very little in common with Butch's playstyle. Both of them understand that you need to take a hit to make a play, Butch didn't before he was hurt, how will he be now?

We're horribly off-topic, I'm done. I wish I had your uh... "insight", though, as to compare Butch to Patrick Kane or Danny Briere........

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:17 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
I'm completely with you on this one. Bouchard post-lockout has averaged I believe 56 points which isn't bad considering he wasn't given much freedom offensively. Interestingly, what I sense from some fans is the frustration about his lack of shooting ability. He shoots the puck quite well he just looks to pass far too often. Hopefully that will change as he ages.

Last edited by North Metro Peewees: 06-21-2010 at 11:24 PM.
North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:36 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Fine by me. Especially at that cost. Quite frankly, he's not that great of a player.
1st for Horton would be fine. Not Koivu though.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:52 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

A healthy PMB helps this team a lot more than he would on LTIR for the next 2-3 years. Even if doesn't produce at the level he was prior to the concussion, at least he won't keep Minnesota in salary cap limbo & they'll be able to move forward with a plan.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Red Alberks

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=325375

Horton to Boston. Thank goodness we didn't trade for him!

Red Alberks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:34 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

haha maybe we'll get him from boston. someone posted their cap is at $54 million for 18 players right now (after this trade).

Some money has to be coming off the books there...

Old
06-22-2010, 02:03 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Some money has to be coming off the books there...
Pretty sure they are shopping Thomas.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote