SJ (Staubitz) MN (5th Rounder)

Old
06-21-2010, 06:48 PM
countrygentleman
The Kaptain Says ARR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
So we uh...I don't get this trade at all. We get rid of one useless player and spend a 5th rounder on another one? Why the hell didn't we just sign one?
MN Wild hockey baby! Get used to it.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:48 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Saves at least half a million plus essentially what Vashaneh said. Everyone has gone on and on about how they want a Boogaard-type player for the league minimum; well there you are.
Apparently he's not a heavy weight in the mold of Boogaard but a mid-weight in the mold of Tootoo or hell Clutterbuck.

But seriously. If we wanted someone like this, sign someone to a two-way deal. I bet there are a ton of these guys floating around in the AHL somewhere.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:51 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
team toughness. this is Hnidy's replacement. Not a big whoop, just as giving a 6th (?) for Simon wasn't the end of the world or the start of a golden age. This is a move towards making us a little less soft. I have no problem at all with this.

edit: by Hnidy's replacement I mean he's supposed to be a hard nose, checking presence on the ice. Not a heavy weight but a middy kind of guy who will fight and stand up for team mates.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:51 PM
countrygentleman
The Kaptain Says ARR

Everyone is right and I agree with them. One fifth round pick is NOT going to make or break next season. It won't make or break this franchise. I'm just tired of Wild GM's that can't back up what they promise. In one full year Fletcher has done some good stuff for this franchise and he's done some terrible stuff that I thought we would be able to say adios to once Risebrough left.

There were so many more attractive options than making this trade. I just don't understand it.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:52 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
There were so many more attractive options than making this trade.
Like?

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:54 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
team toughness. this is Hnidy's replacement. Not a big whoop, just as giving a 6th (?) for Simon wasn't the end of the world or the start of a golden age. This is a move towards making us a little less soft. I have no problem at all with this.

edit: by Hnidy's replacement I mean he's supposed to be a hard nose, checking presence on the ice. Not a heavy weight but a middy kind of guy who will fight and stand up for team mates.
Uhhhh...Simon WAS the beginning of the end of Riser. I mean that pretty much pushed the snowball down the hill for Riser's eventual canning.

And while Minnesota's record for picking 5th rounders is bad...Cody Almond was a 5th round.

Seriously, pick up Jody Shelly for a year. And be done. Or hell Ivanans.

Quote:
He's between a Boogaard (which in fairness to him is someone who is obsolete) and Clutterbuck. So you get team toughness with the ability to fight for the league minimum plus a prospect who has a less than a 10% chance of playing 160 games.
Prospect being the keyword. For a team that has no depth whatsoever, a 5th round pick is more valuable than a guy that probably won't see the ice all too often.

BTW I believe Staubitz will need to be re-signed. And you can imagine a small bump in pay.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:54 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Apparently he's not a heavy weight in the mold of Boogaard but a mid-weight in the mold of Tootoo or hell Clutterbuck.

But seriously. If we wanted someone like this, sign someone to a two-way deal. I bet there are a ton of these guys floating around in the AHL somewhere.
He's between a Boogaard (which in fairness to him is someone who is obsolete) and Clutterbuck. So you get team toughness with the ability to fight for the league minimum plus a prospect who has a less than a 10% chance of playing 160 games.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
well, it seems to be a good move.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:58 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Uhhhh...Simon WAS the beginning of the end of Riser. I mean that pretty much pushed the snowball down the hill for Riser's eventual canning.

And while Minnesota's record for picking 5th rounders is bad...Cody Almond was a 5th round.

Seriously, pick up Jody Shelly for a year. And be done.
And he's played like seven NHL games.

They could, but Shelly will easily be getting more money than Staubitz on the free agent market (probably something around what Boogaard makes now).

Old
06-21-2010, 07:00 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

I don't see any glaring issue with the trade. Staubitz is an RFA and it looks like can chip in the occasional goal. Seems like a good replacement for Boogaard. As far as taking penalties at inopportune times, that might get better with age.

Like most have wrote, it's not a make or break trade but I'm still holding out for the rest of the week, the draft and free agency until I write too much. I don't think we're done yet.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:00 PM
TheSandman

Staubitz is actually a halfway decent hockey player. Not that he's going to rock anyone's socks, but he can actually skate, unlike say Jody Shelly, et al. I watched both Staubitz and Shelly play for the Sharks at the same time. Staubitz is the better hockey player, no doubt.

Kid is tough and will do his damndest to hit anything that moves.....isn't afraid to drop the gloves with anyone....he's a strong middleweight. Biggest knock on him is that he takes some bad penalties of the retaliatory nature, or extra 2min during a fight or whatever.

TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:02 PM
nickschultzfan

I may be looking at this the wrong way, but does this mean that Kassian (Boogy's supposed replace) cost a 2nd AND a 5th?

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:02 PM
CT*
WOLF GANG

I think this is a good for us honestly, especially if we're not having Boogaard come back, a player that is even a small amount more useful then Boogey is good deal in my mind. Especially for what we gave up for it.

Last edited by CT*: 06-21-2010 at 07:07 PM.
CT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:03 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
And he's played like seven NHL games.

They could, but Shelly will easily be getting more money than Staubitz on the free agent market (probably something around what Boogaard makes now).
So you would be comfortable trading Almond for Staubitz?

Ivanans as well? There are probably a few middle weights floating around on the FA market.

Old
06-21-2010, 07:05 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Russo's blog on this with Fletcher's take on Staubitz:

Quote:
"He can play a regular shift and bring some grit and energy to our team. It's important component of successful teams. You want to have a balance. You obviously need skill, but we also feel we can upgrade our grit," said Fletcher.

Old
06-21-2010, 07:06 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Is this really your logic? Yikes.

Old
06-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Everyone is right and I agree with them. One fifth round pick is NOT going to make or break next season. It won't make or break this franchise. I'm just tired of Wild GM's that can't back up what they promise. In one full year Fletcher has done some good stuff for this franchise and he's done some terrible stuff that I thought we would be able to say adios to once Risebrough left.

There were so many more attractive options than making this trade. I just don't understand it.
Take your Ritalin dude. It's a minor deal, for a minor pick.

Name one single option that would've gotten us a player similar to Staubitz. He's got some experience, he doesn't mind throwing down and all we gave up was a pick that has a better chance of working at McDonalds two years from now than playing NHL hockey.

Your shocking level of hyperbole and overreaction aside. This is a simple, small deal. That's all.

But don't let facts or reality get in the way of your freakout, please, continue...

Vashanesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:08 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Is this really your logic? Yikes.
Think about it for a second. Almond was our 5th round pick. We just traded our 5th round pick for Staubitz.

If that was in 2005 or whenever Almond was picked, it would have been Almond.

If not Almond, let's say Kreumper?

Old
06-21-2010, 07:10 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

Ivanans as well? There are probably a few middle weights floating around on the FA market.
If Cody Almond is the best someone is going to get with a 5th round pick, then it's not out of the realm of possibility to consider it. But given he's on the high end of 5th round picks, Minnesota is looking to be trading away someone more like Eero Elo, Armands Berzins, Derek Joslin, Tomas Plihal, Marcin Kolucz, Ashton Rome and Tom Walsh. And because of that, I'm fine with it.

Seriously, if you can tell me besides Elo who was drafted by either San Jose or Minnesota and which player has 89 games for the Sharks, you win.

Old
06-21-2010, 07:12 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Think about it for a second. Almond was our 5th round pick. We just traded our 5th round pick for Staubitz.

If that was in 2005 or whenever Almond was picked, it would have been Almond.

If not Almond, let's say Kreumper?
Thanks for the laugh.

Old
06-21-2010, 07:13 PM
MK9

Quote:
Or you offer the equivalent of this guy (boogaard) league min and if he declines, you live with john scott for another year. Or clayton stoner. You DONT GIVE UP PICKS FOR SOMETHING WE ALREADY HAVE!!
Where do we have one of these guys?

This guys got more goals in one season than Boogaard has in 4-5 seasons. And he's someone that guys will actually fight. And...the refs aren't going to target him the second he gets on the ice.

Should have known Minnesota fans would stay true to for and just ***** about anything and everything.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:15 PM
CT*
WOLF GANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post

This guys got more goals in one season than Boogaard has in 4-5 seasons. And he's someone that guys will actually fight. And...the refs aren't going to target him the second he gets on the ice.

Should have known Minnesota fans would stay true to for and just ***** about anything and everything.

What are you talking about? Only one person in this thread seems to be sour about this.

CT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:18 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Jamie Benn, Darren Helm, Tom Wandell, Cal O'Reilly, KRIS VERSTEEG, Mikhail Grabovski, Mike Brown, Lee Stempniak...

Just saying there has been good players taking out of the 5th round. You can find good players in the right rounds if you have the scouts, the patience and the team.

Hell Sharks found Kipper back in 95 out of the 5th round.

Old
06-21-2010, 07:19 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Thanks for the laugh.
Seriously, we're trading an unknown prospect for a guy that really doesn't do crap for this team. Who would have known that Almond could have been a decent 3rd line/4th liner center in the NHL when he was drafted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post

Clutterbuck? Gillies? Hell we had a plugger named Testwuide down there. Kalus...though I don't know how of a good fighter he is.

And why do you guys keep comparing him to Boogaard when they aren't even in the same category. Here's one! Eager has more goals than Staubitz!

And how the hell do you know? Staubitz could do something stupid and refs might start looking at him.

My problem with this is the unnecessary movement of something we don't have an abundance of (ANY type of prospect) with something that there is a lot of (middle weights that can be thrown out on the ice every 3rd game or so)

Old
06-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Not excited about the trade, but I don't know anything about Staubitz so I won't get emotional and just wait to see how he does during pre-season

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote