HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Marleau - Yay, or Nay?

View Poll Results: Sign Patrick Marleau?
Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 101 64.74%
NO! NO! NO! 55 35.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2010, 08:27 AM
bobermay

vCash: 500
Patrick Marleau - Yay, or Nay?

Scenerio:
0% change of Kovalckuk a Leaf
Marleau is very interested in becoming a leaf
Marleau says he'll sign for 6.5 mil cap hit over the amount of years you want...

Would you want to sign him?

Old
06-21-2010, 08:29 AM
IrMitchell*

I can't see us getting a better player through trade. Sign him up put an "A" on his shirt and he can pretend Bozak is Thorton.

Old
06-21-2010, 08:29 AM
bobermay

I for one, would love to see him in a leaf uniform. However, It seems i've come across a few posters here taht don't want anything to do with him.

IMHO, you can't ask for much more in a 1st liner...

Size: Check
Speed: Check
Goal Scoring: Check
Playmaking: Check
Veteran Leadership: Check
Playoff Experience: Check

We need some more veterans in our top six too IMHO, Marleau would be a perfect addition

Old
06-21-2010, 08:35 AM
KapG

Biggest no of the offseason.

60 point player who got lucky to play with Big Joe. Even if he wasn't on Joes line, Joe was still the one dealing with top checking lines the entire time which left more room for Marleau out on the ice. He really knows how to choke in the playoffs too. He is also 31 years old I believe, something THIS team has NO need of IMO. Sure some vets are nce, but not for 6.5 mil lol, wow. You'd be 100% better off signing Kovy or Frolov or simply NO ONE.

Marleau is also going to want way too much money.

Again...biggest no of the offseason.

EDIT: I just see you would actually sign him at 6.5 mill LOLOL?!?!?!?!? WHAT?

And some people around here think Kovy isn't worth an extra 2 mill per year. LOL, this place is a ****ing gong show.

Old
06-21-2010, 08:35 AM
Spazmatic Dan
Force Beyond Measure

Yeah sure. Why not?

He might be a little older than Burke is probably looking for but we need a player like him pretty badly. I definitely wouldn't complain if Burke signed him.

As a disclaimer, I should add that I might complain depending on salary.

Old
06-21-2010, 08:41 AM
KapG

lolllllllllllll

EDIT:

7 yes to 1 no. Thank god you people aren't GM's .

Old
06-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Fearless

i think this is more realistic then signing kovalchuck

Old
06-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Tombernack

2 or 3 years, sure.

But I am going to go with No.

Old
06-21-2010, 08:49 AM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post

60 point player who got lucky to play with Big Joe. Even if he wasn't on Joes line, Joe was still the one dealing with top checking lines the entire time which left more room for Marleau out on the ice. He really knows how to choke in the playoffs too. He is also 31 years old I believe, something THIS team has NO need of IMO. Sure some vets are nce, but not for 6.5 mil lol, wow. You'd be 100% better off signing Kovy or Frolov or simply NO ONE.

And some people around here think Kovy isn't worth an extra 2 mill per year. LOL, this place is a ****ing gong show.
I don't really understand how Patrick Marleau is worse than Frolov...he's much better.

Marleau choked at the start of the playoffs, yes, but when the team needed him most, he pulled through... Marleau scored most of the team's goals in the last 5 or 6 games of the Playoffs, it was MARLEAU that carried the team.

I don't think Marleau needs Thornton to be quite honest. He is a true top 3 forward, and would be a great addition to the Leafs. He isn't THAT old, he's only 31. Burke brought an older Selanne to Anaheim.

IMHO, Marleau would be a great presense in the locker room, a great mentor for our young players like Hanson, Stalberg, Bozak, Kessel, Kadri and Kulemin

Old
06-21-2010, 08:53 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
I don't really understand how Patrick Marleau is worse than Frolov...he's much better.

Marleau choked at the start of the playoffs, yes, but when the team needed him most, he pulled through... Marleau scored most of the team's goals in the last 5 or 6 games of the Playoffs, it was MARLEAU that carried the team.

I don't think Marleau needs Thornton to be quite honest. He is a true top 3 forward, and would be a great addition to the Leafs. He isn't THAT old, he's only 31. Burke brought an older Selanne to Anaheim.

IMHO, Marleau would be a great presense in the locker room, a great mentor for our young players like Hanson, Stalberg, Bozak, Kessel, Kadri and Kulemin

Go take a look at his numbers pre Joe and then look at them AFTER joe came to SJ. It is like a jump of 20 points. Sorry, I think you are going to see Marleau return to being a 60 point player once he leaves that stacked SJS team.

Marleau may have carried hsi team for like 4 games this playoffs but when it comes down to it his playoff performances have been aboslutely trashy for a so called "elite" player. BTW, what did SJ win this year? Oh yeah a trip to the links...

Sorry I would rather leave the spot open to a younger player to try and win. Not like signing Marleau is going to bring us a cup or even make us a playoff contender this year.

As for the Frolov comment. Frolov is much younger and won't be asking for 6.5 million lol...

EDIT:

Selanne scored 75 (or so) goals in his rookie season. Selanne is 100 times the player marleau ever has been man...why bring up one of the most elite goal scorers of the last 20...30 years to compare to marleau?

Old
06-21-2010, 09:25 AM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Quote:
Go take a look at his numbers pre Joe and then look at them AFTER joe came to SJ. It is like a jump of 20 points. Sorry, I think you are going to see Marleau return to being a 60 point player once he leaves that stacked SJS team.

Marleau may have carried hsi team for like 4 games this playoffs but when it comes down to it his playoff performances have been aboslutely trashy for a so called "elite" player. BTW, what did SJ win this year? Oh yeah a trip to the links...

Sorry I would rather leave the spot open to a younger player to try and win. Not like signing Marleau is going to bring us a cup or even make us a playoff contender this year.

As for the Frolov comment. Frolov is much younger and won't be asking for 6.5 million lol...

EDIT:

Selanne scored 75 (or so) goals in his rookie season. Selanne is 100 times the player marleau ever has been man...why bring up one of the most elite goal scorers of the last 20...30 years to compare to marleau?
What you fail to include is Selanne career's 0.7 Ppg in the playoffs which is pretty much the same to Marleau's. You point out his downfall in the playoffs and stick up for Selanne but the are the same in the playoffs. Yes, Selanne was obviously a better player in his career but Patty Marleau isn't as bad as you make him out to be. Do i want Malreau? Check my username.

Old
06-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Doctor Perry Cox*

Quote:

^This, except Marleau never scored 60 points without Thornton.

Old
06-21-2010, 09:31 AM
seanlinden

Not for a dollar over $6.0. We'll regret it otherwise.

That being said, I'd be surprised to see him get more than that. There aren't too many teams looking to spend money and the ones that are know he wont be anywhere close to a 43-goal guy.

Old
06-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Papadice

Send a message via MSN to Papadice
I say no, and it's not about not wanting him on the team... it's about not wanting him for the money that he'll command... I am of the belief that his numbers are inflated due to the team and linemates he's played with... I don't like the idea of paying him $6.5 million per year... If we could sign him at the $4.5 - $5 million range I would LOVE to have him...

Old
06-21-2010, 09:47 AM
MIKE GUNDY*

no i dont want this bum

Old
06-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Scenerio:
0% change of Kovalckuk a Leaf
Marleau is very interested in becoming a leaf
Marleau says he'll sign for 6.5 mil cap hit over the amount of years you want...

Would you want to sign him?
Big Nay!! I think he peeked last year. Why sign Marleau for 6.5 when you can offer Kovalchuk just 1.5 more and see if he bites?

Old
06-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Skeptix

No...not at all. He's an overrated vet that we don't need to dish out the cash for. Completely not worth it.

Old
06-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:

No worries man, I am in your corner on this one.

Old
06-21-2010, 10:10 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

I don't believe Marleau has any interest in the Leafs.

If he did, sure but I'm not certain Burke would step up to land him.

Too expensive.

How old was Marleau when Big Joe joined his team?

As a 24 year old he had: Games: 80 Goals: 28 Points: 57

Unless I'm wrong, many people don't believe players hit their prime at 24.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
06-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
6.5 Mil? God no.

Old
06-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Schennsation
Show goes on

Nah hes gonna ask way to much money

Old
06-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

article related to marly coming over here, and i still say no.

Old
06-21-2010, 12:38 PM
cynicism

No

Highly overrated and he's going to be 30 years old by the time training camp comes around. This team, as weak and thin as it is, isn't going to solve anything by going after guys in their 30s. People seem to forget that they went this road earlier in the decade and it didn't bring much success.

Old
06-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Burkie needs to get one of Marleau or Kovalchuk or BUST!

Old
06-21-2010, 12:54 PM
noobman

I like Marleau. Wilson does not. No deal.

Closed Thread