HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Ryan McDonagh-3 year ELC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2010, 09:16 PM
  #251
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,147
vCash: 500
I'm sorry to have (re)started this whole nasty debate earlier today. Personally, I don't think he's stuck up or an ass or anything like that for not signing - I just think he's not being very smart about his career.

You have somewhere between 5 and 15 years to be a professional hockey player and make a seven figure salary. He doesn't sign and he just cut it to 4 to 14 (assuming he doesn't suffer a "Tomas Kloucek" playing for Wisco this year, cutting it to 0). The pro team says they want you - hell, that they think you can crack the big club this year! - you don't say no. You sign on the dotted line, you get yourself a REALLY good insurance policy and... you worry about your degree in the offseason, you tell your girlfriend to look for a job in NYC, you pay to fly your frat brothers in for weekend parties in the city, etc. NO aspect of college life should be interfering with this decision.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:20 PM
  #252
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I'm sorry to have (re)started this whole nasty debate earlier today. Personally, I don't think he's stuck up or an ass or anything like that for not signing - I just think he's not being very smart about his career.

You have somewhere between 5 and 15 years to be a professional hockey player and make a seven figure salary. He doesn't sign and he just cut it to 4 to 14 (assuming he doesn't suffer a "Tomas Kloucek" playing for Wisco this year, cutting it to 0). The pro team says they want you - hell, that they think you can crack the big club this year! - you don't say no. You sign on the dotted line, you get yourself a REALLY good insurance policy and... you worry about your degree in the offseason, you tell your girlfriend to look for a job in NYC, you pay to fly your frat brothers in for weekend parties in the city, etc. NO aspect of college life should be interfering with this decision.
And honestly, nothing significant implies that any of it will. He said he would wait until after prospects camp. Let's all just be patient now.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:00 AM
  #253
msv957
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
I just don't get what the big deal is about McD.... His quotes and actions does not sit well ..... Maybe I am reading into this too much but he does not seem to be a special prospect sure bet NHLer....

What is his potential? maybe a top 4 stay at home defenseman such as a player like Girardi? He needs to start playing at the Pro level to see what he can do... Wouldn't it seem that another year in college be a wasted year of development?

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:15 AM
  #254
LamoTheKid
Registered User
 
LamoTheKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
I just don't get what the big deal is about McD.... His quotes and actions does not sit well ..... Maybe I am reading into this too much but he does not seem to be a special prospect sure bet NHLer....

What is his potential? maybe a top 4 stay at home defenseman such as a player like Girardi? He needs to start playing at the Pro level to see what he can do... Wouldn't it seem that another year in college be a wasted year of development?
Yep, you and everyone else in this thread who's running around worried about him (that's not an attack, just an observation).

A lot of fans around here got it in their heads that when he came over in the Gomez deal that he was our defenseman of the future, they got used to it, hyped the kid up to no end, and kept penciling him in the lineup.

Now the kid is weighing his options and people are upset because its not going to their armchair GM plans (not directed at you msv). They veil it by calling him selfish for weighing his options and thinking of his future instead of literally praising the lord to have a chance to play for the Rangers. Then, out of nowhere, speculation on guaranteed spots pop up. that's literally how this thread can be summarized.

I think a lot of people in this thread need to wake up and realize they're being the selfish ones here. McD is looking out for his own future. As I've stated before, McD was GRAVY. We got rid of Gomez and got Gaborik. Just because everyone here jumped the gun and made him a centerpiece to our future, doesn't mean its true.

Barry Melrose had an orgasm into the microphone at the Frozen four about him, some people must have really taken it to heart. Remember, this is the same guy who thought Stamkos wasn't ready for the NHL.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:30 AM
  #255
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
I just don't get what the big deal is about McD.... His quotes and actions does not sit well ..... Maybe I am reading into this too much but he does not seem to be a special prospect sure bet NHLer....

What is his potential? maybe a top 4 stay at home defenseman such as a player like Girardi? He needs to start playing at the Pro level to see what he can do... Wouldn't it seem that another year in college be a wasted year of development?
If he hits his potential we would be talking about a smaller(height, not weight) Staal. He is a VERY good player.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:51 AM
  #256
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
How can we ASSuME all these nonsense things about McD?

Seriously, how can we as adults give them ANY credence at all?

If we are going to ASSuME things, lets ASSuME the most obvious. McD probably has an insurance policy from a company like Lloyds of London that will set him up for life if a Klockek type injury happens.

The kid has leverage and he is using it. Who can blame him? We as fans would play for the team for free. We can't blame a kid for wanting the right situation for himself and his family.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:59 AM
  #257
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Yep, you and everyone else in this thread who's running around worried about him (that's not an attack, just an observation).

A lot of fans around here got it in their heads that when he came over in the Gomez deal that he was our defenseman of the future, they got used to it, hyped the kid up to no end, and kept penciling him in the lineup.

Now the kid is weighing his options and people are upset because its not going to their armchair GM plans (not directed at you msv). They veil it by calling him selfish for weighing his options and thinking of his future instead of literally praising the lord to have a chance to play for the Rangers. Then, out of nowhere, speculation on guaranteed spots pop up. that's literally how this thread can be summarized.

I think a lot of people in this thread need to wake up and realize they're being the selfish ones here. McD is looking out for his own future. As I've stated before, McD was GRAVY. We got rid of Gomez and got Gaborik. Just because everyone here jumped the gun and made him a centerpiece to our future, doesn't mean its true.

Barry Melrose had an orgasm into the microphone at the Frozen four about him, some people must have really taken it to heart. Remember, this is the same guy who thought Stamkos wasn't ready for the NHL.
to say i disagree with this entire post is an understatement.

my wanting him to sign the contract already and stop waffling has exactly ZERO to do with how much he was or was not hyped by whomever. i could care less who said what or what organization he came from. hes a ny rangers prospect now and he needs to sign his contract.

i can summerize my feeling on mcd by simply stating this. look at what derek stepan did when it came time to take the next step in his hockey career. returning to school meant nothing to derek. becoming a pro is what really matters.

going back to madison does zippo for mcd's future as a ny ranger player.

being patient and excercizing due dilligence is understandable, but this is a no brainer for the kid unless of course, hes having 2nd thoughts about signing with us.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:08 PM
  #258
LamoTheKid
Registered User
 
LamoTheKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
to say i disagree with this entire post is an understatement.

my wanting him to sign the contract already and stop waffling has exactly ZERO to do with how much he was or was not hyped by whomever. i could care less who said what or what organization he came from. hes a ny rangers prospect now and he needs to sign his contract.
Why? What has he show or proven to us that he's going to live up to his "pedigree"? Playing on a dominant STACKED blueline of Wisconsin? Being a man amongst boys?

Quote:
i can summerize my feeling on mcd by simply stating this. look at what derek stepan did when it came time to take the next step in his hockey career. returning to school meant nothing to derek. becoming a pro is what really matters.
So, what exactly does one have to do from the other besides being your opinion of how a player should act? Are they Siamese Twins?

Quote:
going back to madison does zippo for mcd's future as a ny ranger player.

being patient and excercizing due dilligence is understandable, but this is a no brainer for the kid unless of course, hes having 2nd thoughts about signing with us.
No, see, it's a no brainer to YOU. YOU are not HIM. This outcome effects you in NO WAY other than giving you someone to watch or root for on the Rangers. For HIM, it's a HUGE DECISION FOR HIS LIFE. Damn straight the kid is going to ponder what he wants to do.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:14 PM
  #259
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Why? What has he show or proven to us that he's going to live up to his "pedigree"? Playing on a dominant STACKED blueline of Wisconsin? Being a man amongst boys?
He was arguably the best defenseman in all of college hockey last year as a junior. Wisconsin had some talented blue-liners but McDonagh was, IMO, the best if the group.

Also, using the argument "man amongst boys" is a bit unfair as he was playing against players around his age. Most college players are in there 20's unless they are very highly ranked prospects. They come from juniors and then go play in college. Just because he has a ridiculous work ethic and has a lot of muscle doesnt mean he is a "man amongst boys". Gilroy would be the better example of an older player having a great season. He was a "man amongst boys" even though he was physically a slow developer.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:22 PM
  #260
msv957
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
to say i disagree with this entire post is an understatement.

my wanting him to sign the contract already and stop waffling has exactly ZERO to do with how much he was or was not hyped by whomever. i could care less who said what or what organization he came from. hes a ny rangers prospect now and he needs to sign his contract.

i can summerize my feeling on mcd by simply stating this. look at what derek stepan did when it came time to take the next step in his hockey career. returning to school meant nothing to derek. becoming a pro is what really matters.

going back to madison does zippo for mcd's future as a ny ranger player.

being patient and excercizing due dilligence is understandable, but this is a no brainer for the kid unless of course, hes having 2nd thoughts about signing with us.
Really good post... McD needs to start dveloping at the AHL level to see where his game is at... Another year playing college, going to keg parties and etc doesn't make sense in his development..... I just find it odd why it is taking McD so long to figure this out... Perhaps you are correct as maybe Mcd just does not feel he is a good fit for the Rangers... If this is the case, see ya McD!!

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:37 PM
  #261
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
No, see, it's a no brainer to YOU. YOU are not HIM. This outcome effects you in NO WAY other than giving you someone to watch or root for on the Rangers. For HIM, it's a HUGE DECISION FOR HIS LIFE. Damn straight the kid is going to ponder what he wants to do.
No doubt that there is a real person making a real decision here. The problem is, though, what decision is he trying to make?

- Should I go back to college? If he's really thinking about this, he's an idiot. People go to college as an investment in their future (well, they're supposed to anyway). This kid is literally being handed a check, a HUGE return on that investment, and yet he's choosing to bypass it? The only way this makes sense is if he is looking at Gilroy as an example and thinking he would be better suited playing another college season, racking up more accolades, and testing the FA market. If that's the case, his handlers need to have their heads examined.

- Should I sign with NY specifically. A first I thought that McDonagh's trepidation here had to do with the Rangers' depth on the blueline, but that makes less and less sense every day. It really seems as though McDonagh just doesn't want to play in NY, he's just not that type of guy.

The bottom line is that this kid is essentially giving the Rangers and us fans the finger. If he doesn't want to play here that's fine, but I WILL think he's an ******* because of it, and I WILL be justified in that thought.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:38 PM
  #262
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 500
Kid hasn't even signed and he's already getting hammered. Probably exactly what the cheeseheads told him. Hard to develop as a young player with the Rangers. Expectations will be high and the fanbase is opinionated and impatient.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:58 PM
  #263
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post

The bottom line is that this kid is essentially giving the Rangers and us fans the finger. If he doesn't want to play here that's fine, but I WILL think he's an ******* because of it, and I WILL be justified in that thought.


Actually, RIGHT NOW, what he's doing is skating in our prospects camp and having his FIRST EVER face to face interactions with our organization and getting a taste of the NYR. All that he has said on the matter has literally been: I will wait until after prospects camp to make a decision (because I'll finally be acquainted with the organization and have a better feel for their plans with me). The fact that lame journalists who aren't speaking to McD directly are picking out isolated quotes from him to report in their columns to create a stir has NOTHING to do with McD. Why doesn't everyone grow the hell up and have some patience?

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:04 PM
  #264
LyNX27
Registered User
 
LyNX27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
If he hits his potential we would be talking about a smaller(height, not weight) Staal. He is a VERY good player.
With more offense and better skating and a little less hitting, but only a little less.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:09 PM
  #265
allstar3970
Registered User
 
allstar3970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
No doubt that there is a real person making a real decision here. The problem is, though, what decision is he trying to make?

- Should I go back to college? If he's really thinking about this, he's an idiot. People go to college as an investment in their future (well, they're supposed to anyway). This kid is literally being handed a check, a HUGE return on that investment, and yet he's choosing to bypass it? The only way this makes sense is if he is looking at Gilroy as an example and thinking he would be better suited playing another college season, racking up more accolades, and testing the FA market. If that's the case, his handlers need to have their heads examined.

- Should I sign with NY specifically. A first I thought that McDonagh's trepidation here had to do with the Rangers' depth on the blueline, but that makes less and less sense every day. It really seems as though McDonagh just doesn't want to play in NY, he's just not that type of guy.

The bottom line is that this kid is essentially giving the Rangers and us fans the finger. If he doesn't want to play here that's fine, but I WILL think he's an ******* because of it, and I WILL be justified in that thought.
I'd hate to accidentally bump shoulders with you in a bar if you take things like this so personally.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:16 PM
  #266
Blueblood 2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
Not a word on how he has looked at camp? Sure have been a bunch of goals scored. Is there an imposed blackout on comments or is it just that he has been a non factor?

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:25 PM
  #267
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Read the prospects camp thread? I haven't read the entire thing but he's been mentioned in there.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:11 PM
  #268
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post


Actually, RIGHT NOW, what he's doing is skating in our prospects camp and having his FIRST EVER face to face interactions with our organization and getting a taste of the NYR. All that he has said on the matter has literally been: I will wait until after prospects camp to make a decision (because I'll finally be acquainted with the organization and have a better feel for their plans with me). The fact that lame journalists who aren't speaking to McD directly are picking out isolated quotes from him to report in their columns to create a stir has NOTHING to do with McD. Why doesn't everyone grow the hell up and have some patience?
Digging the facepalms man, I really am.

Listen, you and I won't agree on this issue because you don't seem to have a problem with the bolded part of you statement. I do, as do most other people who aren't fortunate enough to have the talent that can net them millions of dollars playing a game. This guy has proven nothing to the Rangers other than that he is a high potential defender (one that I admittedly would love to see wearing Ranger blue), but he is acting as if he is owed something. To be quite blunt, the Rangers don't owe him ****. He's a rookie, and rookies pay their dues before they are afforded a certain degree of autonomy over their careers.

The way the NHL works is that you get drafted, by a team you may or may not like in a city you may or may not like, and then, if you're good enough, you play for them until you are traded or until you reach a level in your career where you can decide where you want to be. The fact that this kid hasn't resigned himself to that, a situation mind you that while maybe not ideal for himself would still be netting him literally millions of dollars over the course of the next couple of years, tells me that he has a sense of entitlement.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:24 PM
  #269
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Digging the facepalms man, I really am.

Listen, you and I won't agree on this issue because you don't seem to have a problem with the bolded part of you statement. I do, as do most other people who aren't fortunate enough to have the talent that can net them millions of dollars playing a game. This guy has proven nothing to the Rangers other than that he is a high potential defender (one that I admittedly would love to see wearing Ranger blue), but he is acting as if he is owed something. To be quite blunt, the Rangers don't owe him ****. He's a rookie, and rookies pay their dues before they are afforded a certain degree of autonomy over their careers.

The way the NHL works is that you get drafted, by a team you may or may not like in a city you may or may not like, and then, if you're good enough, you play for them until you are traded or until you reach a level in your career where you can decide where you want to be. The fact that this kid hasn't resigned himself to that, a situation mind you that while maybe not ideal for himself would still be netting him literally millions of dollars over the course of the next couple of years. tells me that he has a sense of entitlement.
He's not a rookie. He's a prospect. The autonomy he has is to decide whether or not he, as a 21 year old kid, is ready to turn professional right now. If the players didn't have a choice in signing their ELCs than they would just be assigned them automatically from their teams. We didn't draft him either. I have no problem with the bolded statement from my original post because wanting to MEET people from the organization for the first time since being traded to them isn't a sense of entitlement; it's a pretty logical thing to do. He hasn't said anything that to me reveals ANY sense of entitlement without being read into, and I refuse to read into isolated newspaper quotes from reporters with no real insight on the situation who are simply speculating to spark interest.

His buddy Stepan signed with the Rangers ealier this year, but Stepan already went to a prospects camp with the Rangers last year and met with the organization and got to hear what we're all about. Is he a self-entitled little brat too? I mean he went to a prospects camp and then he took almost a WHOLE YEAR to sign. What a doosher. All McDonagh has said is that he wants to go to prospect camp before he makes a decision. It's the right thing to say. Right after your college team loses the national championship you don't turn around and say "well, it's been real boys - see'ya!". So he said, "yeah, well there's always the allure or returning as captain in my senior year but I haven't even met anyone from the Rangers organization yet so I'm going to wait until after I attend prospects camp and get a feel from the organization to decide what is best for me".

I almost guarantee you the kid signs. I personally think he's probably pretty excited about it and is just saying the right things and not appearing over eager and taking it step by step, which is what an intelligent person IN his shoes SHOULD do. You're not in his shoes. You just want results. That's too bad. He has been quoted talking with Stepan about how cool it will be for them to both be Rangers together one day. I'm pretty sure he's just saying non-committal things right now because it's the right thing to do. After his FIRST ever experience with the NYR is over, my money is on him signing fairly quickly. I have no problem with him wanting to attend ONE prospects camp before inking his contract. Stepan did it. Most prospects do. Even Hall and Seguin who will likely play this year will attend prospects camp BEFORE signing their pro deals. McD hasn't been to a Rangers prospect camp. It's not really an uncommon thing, nor a big deal, for him to want to before signing.

This thread is 1000% people getting excited over nothing.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:31 PM
  #270
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,868
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Digging the facepalms man, I really am.

Listen, you and I won't agree on this issue because you don't seem to have a problem with the bolded part of you statement. I do, as do most other people who aren't fortunate enough to have the talent that can net them millions of dollars playing a game. This guy has proven nothing to the Rangers other than that he is a high potential defender (one that I admittedly would love to see wearing Ranger blue), but he is acting as if he is owed something. To be quite blunt, the Rangers don't owe him ****. He's a rookie, and rookies pay their dues before they are afforded a certain degree of autonomy over their careers.

The way the NHL works is that you get drafted, by a team you may or may not like in a city you may or may not like, and then, if you're good enough, you play for them until you are traded or until you reach a level in your career where you can decide where you want to be. The fact that this kid hasn't resigned himself to that, a situation mind you that while maybe not ideal for himself would still be netting him literally millions of dollars over the course of the next couple of years, tells me that he has a sense of entitlement.
You're right, the Rangers don't owe him anything. You know what else? He doesn't owe the Rangers anything either.

Yeah, we'd all play for free. Yeah, we don't have the talent and it sucks. But get over it. You spend a whole post telling us "how it works" but you don't really seem to get it yourself. THIS is how it works. THIS is typical. Why you're so offended personally is a bit mystifying.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:41 PM
  #271
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,252
vCash: 500
rookies should pay their dues, but at the same time it's a game of chicken. Players and GMs will use whatever leverage possible to get the most (or pay the least). That's just the way it is. I no longer get upset at the guy who holds out. It's his right. If he's willing to sacrafice $4MM and not play the season, so be it. If he wants to hold out because he can thinks he can make more money, well, then that's his right and most people try to make as much money as possible. Perhaps many here can't fathom the idea of a guy trying to make an extra $200k when he's already making $3MM a year - well, again, it's his right. Call it greedy, or call it doing what a guy feels is best for him as the gravy train for many of these guys ends before they hit the age of 40.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:01 PM
  #272
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
You're right, the Rangers don't owe him anything. You know what else? He doesn't owe the Rangers anything either.

Yeah, we'd all play for free. Yeah, we don't have the talent and it sucks. But get over it. You spend a whole post telling us "how it works" but you don't really seem to get it yourself. THIS is how it works. THIS is typical. Why you're so offended personally is a bit mystifying.
Just to be clear, I'm in no way personally offended by this. As a hockey fan I find it kind of insulting, but in the end I don't really care where McDonagh ends up. This is all fun and games for me.

The Rangers don't owe him anything, but, what I've seen so far (and admittedly I might be using biased sources) is the club going above and beyond to appease this kid. And really, this doesn't seem to me to be a question of whether or not he's ready to turn pro. It's a question of whether or not he wants to do so with the Ranger's organization, and to me, that's not a question someone in his shoes should be asking.

Is it his right to do so? Yes. Do I think it's a smart thing for him to do? No. Do I think it speaks highly of his character and willingness to work to achieve his goals? No.

This all goes out the window if and when he signs or if we find out definitively that it really is about turning pro or not, but until then my cynicism is telling me to not be so naive.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think what Blake Wheeler did to the Coyotes was a reasonable thing for him to do?

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:04 PM
  #273
FOXHOUND*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodside, Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 3,507
vCash: 500
Heads up, the NCAA frozen four film from this past season is on NHL network right now, they said its gonna focus on one player from each team and I think the guy from Wisc. is McDonaugh

edit: it's not.


Last edited by FOXHOUND*: 06-30-2010 at 07:23 PM.
FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:16 PM
  #274
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,868
vCash: 500
Awards:
I share fletch's mentality. If it's within the rules, it's his right, and I have no issue with it. I resigned myself to the fact that professional sports is a business and people will make decisions based solely off their bottom line. It might piss me off a little from time to time, and I might boo a player that spurned mt club, but at the end of the day I "get" why they do what they do.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:30 PM
  #275
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
I really didn't want to jump into a decision without coming out here first. It was unfortunate I got traded last summer right during this camp. I didn't get a chance to come out here and I didn't get a feel for the staff and the players. Before I make my decision, I want to experience what it would be like out here and just get a feel for it. The staff members get to see me face to face as opposed to a phone call. There's a lot of value there before you make a big decision in your life.
You see, this sounds all well and good, but realistically what exactly is he trying to get a feel for? What might he find out about the Ranger's organization that would make him NOT want to be a Ranger? I just don't get it, and I feel like very few people actually do because you very, very rarely hear anything about drafted prospects taking a similar approach.

Quote:
I think they've followed me enough on the ice and seen me throughout the seasons, so it's more just getting to know what kind of person I am character-wise before I make a step further here.
Is it just me or does this sentence not even make sense? Is he trying to say that he needs to figure out more about his own character, or that the Rangers are looking to learn more about him as a person before signing him? All of this just doesn't add up for me.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.