HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Ryan McDonagh-3 year ELC

Old
06-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
You see, this sounds all well and good, but realistically what exactly is he trying to get a feel for? What might he find out about the Ranger's organization that would make him NOT want to be a Ranger? I just don't get it, and I feel like very few people actually do because you very, very rarely hear anything about drafted prospects taking a similar approach.
Probably because a lot of drafted players especially players drafted as high as he was don't get traded before they make the show.

Quote:
Is it just me or does this sentence not even make sense? Is he trying to say that he needs to figure out more about his own character, or that the Rangers are looking to learn more about him as a person before signing him? All of this just doesn't add up for me.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home
I am pretty sure he is talking about the Rangers getting to know him and him getting to know the Rangers maybe he wants to know exactly where he fits in with the team and exactly what kind of atmosphere it is etc... Sure we fans know the Rangers are great with players and the organization is classy and all but he probably hasn't had much contact with them considering he is in college and like he said didn't get to come to this camp last year.

You're reading too far into this. He isn't saying **** you Synergy27 he's trying to make the best decision for his career and his life. I am sure it was kind of a shocker to him that he was traded.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:39 PM
emodwarf

Quote:

The Rangers don't owe him anything, but, what I've seen so far (and admittedly I might be using biased sources) is the club going above and beyond to appease this kid.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think what Blake Wheeler did to the Coyotes was a reasonable thing for him to do?
How has the club gone above and beyond to appease him?

Without knowing everything about the situation, I don't think Wheeler did anything terrible. From what I remember, he wanted a team that would help him develop and reach his potential.

Just because a team drafts you doesn't mean you have to sign. It's a two way street. Maybe the team decides not to sign you. Is it unreasonable when that happens?

Both sides have expectations and hopes, and why should either side be obligated to sign on if those hopes and expectations aren't met.

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:41 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by emodwarf View Post
How has the club gone above and beyond to appease him?

Without knowing everything about the situation, I don't think Wheeler did anything terrible. From what I remember, he wanted a team that would help him develop and reach his potential.

Just because a team drafts you doesn't mean you have to sign. It's a two way street. Maybe the team decides not to sign you. Is it unreasonable when that happens?

Both sides have expectations and hopes, and why should either side be obligated to sign on if those hopes and expectations aren't met.
So why bother having a draft then? Why not just make every kid a free agent when he becomes 18?

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
So why bother having a draft then? Why not just make every kid a free agent when he becomes 18?
Being a bit dramatic are we?

This happens what like once or twice every couple years.

It's not like he pulled a Lindros.

Old
06-30-2010, 08:50 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Being a bit dramatic are we?

This happens what like once or twice every couple years.

It's not like he pulled a Lindros.
Seriously though, whats the point of the draft if these kids can just wait a certain amount of years and sign anywhere they want?

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:56 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Probably because a lot of drafted players especially players drafted as high as he was don't get traded before they make the show.

I am pretty sure he is talking about the Rangers getting to know him and him getting to know the Rangers maybe he wants to know exactly where he fits in with the team and exactly what kind of atmosphere it is etc... Sure we fans know the Rangers are great with players and the organization is classy and all but he probably hasn't had much contact with them considering he is in college and like he said didn't get to come to this camp last year.

You're reading too far into this. He isn't saying **** you Synergy27 he's trying to make the best decision for his career and his life. I am sure it was kind of a shocker to him that he was traded.
I read those comments earlier tonight and re-read them now.

Are the Rangers not offering enough bonus money?When he talks about how he wants the Rangers need to get to know him better as a person.

This paragraph is from the writer Brian Compton

Quote:
While Stepan's future appears to be set, McDonagh's is still very much up in the air. Considering how closely the Rangers have followed him over the past year, McDonagh is using these five days to showcase his tremendous character.
Showcase?

Sort of get the impression the Rangers need to sweeten their offer for him to forego his senior season.

Mike Eaves always said McDonagh's decision would be a business decision which means "money" to me.

Everyone left. Stepan left. Smith left. Goloubef left.

All of the Rangers personnel have been nothing but positive in their opinions on McDonagh. He wanted to know their plan for him. They think he is close to playing in the NHL. What more can they tell him?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:56 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
You see, this sounds all well and good, but realistically what exactly is he trying to get a feel for? What might he find out about the Ranger's organization that would make him NOT want to be a Ranger? I just don't get it, and I feel like very few people actually do because you very, very rarely hear anything about drafted prospects taking a similar approach.

Is it just me or does this sentence not even make sense? Is he trying to say that he needs to figure out more about his own character, or that the Rangers are looking to learn more about him as a person before signing him? All of this just doesn't add up for me.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home

Ever been job hunting?

1) Are you going to take a job offer if a company calls you and says, "We saw your resume and we'd like to offer you a position immediately"... Wouldn't you be a bit skeptical of signing on with a company without them even taking the time to get to know you and get a feel for you and your personality/attitude? That would feel pretty superficial on your end for them to do that, wouldn't it?

2) If you were applying for a job would you accept an offer without touring the company building/facility where you would be working, without meeting any of your bosses or managers or any of your coworkers that you'll be working with?

It's obvious he has the lure of going back to Wisconsin where he's already situated, where he would be asked to play a huge role on that team, and where he is emotionally tied to.... But it's quite obvious from his quotes and statements that he's not playing games here or posturing for more $$$ as a UFA... He legitimately sounds like he wants to do his homework on the Rangers and get a complete feel for everything before making up his mind... Who can blame him? You're thinking about this as a Ranger fan who desperately wants to add a valuable defensive prospect to our roster... He's thinking about this as an individual player who has to make an important decision regarding his future.... If you can't put yourself in his shoes at least for a few brief moments, you won't understand where he's coming from.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 06-30-2010 at 09:04 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Seriously though, whats the point of the draft if these kids can just wait a certain amount of years and sign anywhere they want?
Read my post... Because it happens once every couple of years.

98% (guessing obviously) of players drafted by a team who make the NHL sign with that team. If not that high it's still plenty high enough of a percentage to not abolish the draft all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sort of get the impression the Rangers need to sweeten their offer for him to forego his senior season.

Mike Eaves always said McDonagh's decision would be a business decision which means "money" to me.

Everyone left. Stepan left. Smith left. Goloubef left.

All of the Rangers personnel have been nothing but positive in their opinions on McDonagh. He wanted to know their plan for him. They think he is close to playing in the NHL. What more can they tell him?
College hockey is big for him sure, he isn't going to win a championship though. If all he is worried about is money I don't really want him around anyway. Some of these young guys baffle me wanting all they can get in an ELC before they have even proven themselves.

Last edited by Barbara Underhill: 06-30-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old
06-30-2010, 09:16 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
"It's been awesome just an unbelievable experience," McDonagh told NHL.com about the camp. "It's a lot of hard work, but I think it's good for us early in the summer here to get a taste of what it takes day in and day out at this level. It's fun getting to know guys and the system."
So, the above quote gets left out of the discussion because I guess it doesn't convey the "supposed sense of entitlement" that McDonagh is displaying.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I think if MCD signs, all will be forgiven with NYR fans.

Besides, how many NYR fans actually know this whole ordeal is going on or who McD actually is yet? Not as many as on here for sure.

Its worth noting that I think there will be a definitive dman spot to be won in camp this year. We'll know more about that after tomorrow, of course/

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
So teams with less allure can still have the opportunity to sign excellent prospects. If everyone were a free agent at 18 and there was no draft, all of the good players would likely sign with the Canadian clubs or Original Six teams. Honestly, is a kid going to choose to sign his first contract outright with Phoenix or Columbus?

So you do the draft. Most kids sign, but some REALLY don't want to play for the club that drafted them and they aren't forced to. I don't see the issue here.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
So, the above quote gets left out of the discussion because I guess it doesn't convey the "supposed sense of entitlement" that McDonagh is displaying.
Tons of that happening around here lately, I mean the best way to make an argument is to completely ignore the counter points right?

Old
06-30-2010, 09:26 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Tons of that happening around here lately, I mean the best way to make an argument is to completely ignore the counter points right?
It's the kid's first exposure to the organization. He's been traded once already...loyalty gets hit with a reality check.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I think the Derek Stepan factor gets him to sign the contract at the end of camp.... They are already bonding again together this week and they reported talking about playing together in the NHL while they were at Wisconsin together... If McDonagh doesn't sign the contract this summer they both know that's not happening, at least not for the NY Rangers....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:44 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

every time i read another quote from this college tool, i yell ...stf up.

whats next, a group hug with torts and slats ? are they gonna all go on a retreat together and cry and open up so they can "showcase their tremendous character".

this is so clearly an attempt on his part to gather concessions and guarantees or hell take his toys and run back to madison "where they really love me and i can be the captain and team leader and stuff....."

just stf up already and sign the deal. geeez....

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Greg02

Maybe he isn't signing because he's read this thread and realized what ***** our fans can be. Seriously. Let him make an informed decision.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:47 PM
DrZoidberg

I know if I were McDonagh and I read some of ODC's posts I wouldn't want to sign here.

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Deathstroke

McDonagh is taking his time to try and make sure that he makes the right decision and he gets blasted on here for it.

I can't say that I'm surprised

Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:52 PM
NYR Viper

Once this kid puts on a Rangers jersey all will be forgiven. People who haven't been able to catch any Badger games are in for a treat.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:57 PM
OverTheCap

The hostility directed towards some of the players because they may make a decision that some of the fans disagree with is absolutely absurd.

It happened with Dubinsky last year, now its happening with McDonagh, Staal, and to a lesser extent, Christensen.

"Screw him" "Greedy and selfish" "Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out" It's one thing to be upset and disappointed, but anger and name-calling? Grow up. In the end, players are looking out for themselves first, just like anyone else. It may be hard to understand that from a fan's perspective, but they are making choices that, in most cases, are beneficial to themselves. Not the team. Not the fans. It's the nature of the business.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:58 PM
emodwarf

Another thing to remember is that a kid waiting 3 years for his rights to expire is potentially giving up money he could be earning. If a prospect refuses to sign, he's probably got a good reason (to him, at least). One that he feels is more important than the 800,000 reasons or whatever a year he could get on his ELC.

In the case of Wheeler or someone like him, I think it's totally reasonable to say "Thanks for drafting me, but I don't think your organization is a good fit for me." Some would say that's selfish, but would you automatically accept a job from the first company that offers you one at the job fair? Maybe that company has a history of rushing new employees without giving them proper training. Maybe you don't want to relocate to the desert office. Maybe you aren't sure about the financial security of the company.

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:59 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

you guys cant be serious.

you either think hes being patient and responsible and acting like a business man interviewing for a job or

you think hes being a wuss and trolling for some kind of guarantee hes got an nhl job locked up and will not be sent to hartford or worse, hes dissing this organization...saying in essence, "yeah well, you guys are not a good fit for me.'

one guess which side im on

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:07 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Every time I think I'm reading the stupidest thread ever, we manage to outdo ourselves. This one needs to be framed.

Give the kid a break. He's had three great years at Wisconsin. For those of you who have never been to Madison it is one of the greatest cities in North America. The fans are rapid, the rink is full and the campus is beautiful. He's one year away from completing his degree, which is some families counts for an awful lot.

If he's having as great a times as it seems, he will be in New York this year. He's going to get a capped entry level contract which means money really isn't that much of an issue. He sounds pretty sincere to me. Let's just leave it at that.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
every time i read another quote from this college tool, i yell ...stf up.

whats next, a group hug with torts and slats ? are they gonna all go on a retreat together and cry and open up so they can "showcase their tremendous character".

this is so clearly an attempt on his part to gather concessions and guarantees or hell take his toys and run back to madison "where they really love me and i can be the captain and team leader and stuff....."

just stf up already and sign the deal. geeez....
What's amazing is EVERY time you post I feel the EXACT same way!! What a friggin' coincidence!

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Every time I think I'm reading the stupidest thread ever, we manage to outdo ourselves. This one needs to be framed.

Give the kid a break. He's had three great years at Wisconsin. For those of you who have never been to Madison it is one of the greatest cities in North America. The fans are rapid, the rink is full and the campus is beautiful. He's one year away from completing his degree, which is some families counts for an awful lot.

If he's having as great a times as it seems, he will be in New York this year. He's going to get a capped entry level contract which means money really isn't that much of an issue. He sounds pretty sincere to me. Let's just leave it at that.
Sincere?! Are you kidding me???? Let's trade this self-entitled college toolbox brat before he shows what a cancer he is to our organization!!1!1!

Yes. That's

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote