HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Ryan McDonagh-3 year ELC

Old
06-30-2010, 10:30 PM
emodwarf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
you guys cant be serious.

you either think hes being patient and responsible and acting like a business man interviewing for a job or

you think hes being a wuss and trolling for some kind of guarantee hes got an nhl job locked up and will not be sent to hartford or worse, hes dissing this organization...saying in essence, "yeah well, you guys are not a good fit for me.'

one guess which side im on
how can he know if "you guys are not a good fit for me"? he wasn't drafted by us, he hasn't been to a camp before this prospect's camp, he probably hasn't had much if any contact with any of the staff or players. he's talked with stepan, who's been to all of one prior prospect's camp. not much firsthand experience or knowledge, and not much more secondhand either.

i don't think deciding that something isn't right for you necessarily means you're dissing it. i know that you're a very passionate fan, but i think you're totally overreacting. and we're all forming opinions without fully understanding either, let alone both, sides.

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
1) Are you going to take a job offer if a company calls you and says, "We saw your resume and we'd like to offer you a position immediately"... Wouldn't you be a bit skeptical of signing on with a company without them even taking the time to get to know you and get a feel for you and your personality/attitude? That would feel pretty superficial on your end for them to do that, wouldn't it?

2) If you were applying for a job would you accept an offer without touring the company building/facility where you would be working, without meeting any of your bosses or managers or any of your coworkers that you'll be working with?
If I signed myself up for a draft that entailed I would not have a say in where I ended up, I would like to think I would. This is an awful analogy though, so I'll leave it at that.

The bottom line to me is that if McDonagh up and decides that NY is not the place for him for whatever reason, he is well within his rights, but he also becomes a prime target for ridicule. Dubinsky was ridiculed like crazy during his holdout last year, and in my opinion he had 10X the leverage McDonagh has right now. I also think that if McDonagh even has a shadow of a doubt that he can't hack it here, then he should speak up now and stop waffling about it.

All of this is coming from a guy (me) who has seen this kid play many times and would really like to see him in Ranger blue, by the way. I hope I'm wrong and reading too much into this, but everything about his attitude is fishy to me.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:28 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
If I signed myself up for a draft that entailed I would not have a say in where I ended up, I would like to think I would. This is an awful analogy though, so I'll leave it at that.

The bottom line to me is that if McDonagh up and decides that NY is not the place for him for whatever reason, he is well within his rights, but he also becomes a prime target for ridicule. Dubinsky was ridiculed like crazy during his holdout last year, and in my opinion he had 10X the leverage McDonagh has right now. I also think that if McDonagh even has a shadow of a doubt that he can't hack it here, then he should speak up now and stop waffling about it.

All of this is coming from a guy (me) who has seen this kid play many times and would really like to see him in Ranger blue, by the way. I hope I'm wrong and reading too much into this, but everything about his attitude is fishy to me.
Yep, pretty much this. If he was acting like this AFTER prospect camp, you'd have a point, but hey, why not jump to conclusions already?

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:20 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

it seems to me that mr mcdonough is approaching this situation like hes a free agent. hes not. he really has no leverage with which to negotiate, other than staying in school, which he seems to be playing to the hilt with his comments to the press.

hes a draft pick, albeit one that was aquired in trade as opposed to one that we chose. and draft picks either sign or they dont. most, like almost all, sign. the ones that dont usually think they can do better.

either way, its fine to want to get to know the organization and the people and players, but really, when you are drafted you have zero say on who drafts you or where you go. you either sign or you dont.

assuming you can jump from 3 years of college hockey straight to the nhl is presumtuous and misguided. most cannot and thus most spend some time in the ahl. see gilroy, matt.

its not money- other than bonus and its not terms. in this case, it appears that mr mcdonough is torn between staying in school one more year and completing his education- which i admire btw or, signing with the team that owns his rights- a team that has openly expressed their desire for him to come to camp and make the team.

there is both an opportunity for him to make the ny rangers and a willingness on the part of the organization to offer him a contract to do exactly that. all he needs to do to make that happen is make a commitment.

his obfuscating is whats troubling.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Blueblood 2

If he takes the UFA route next year how long do you think it will take him to make a decision? This is just one team......not thirty. If Sather smells a PITA, he will move on, just like Montreal did when they got a whiff. Remember that "Humberger" dude? Sather said, see ya! He goes back to college, that's what to expect.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:12 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
If he takes the UFA route next year how long do you think it will take him to make a decision? This is just one team......not thirty. If Sather smells a PITA, he will move on, just like Montreal did when they got a whiff. Remember that "Humberger" dude? Sather said, see ya! He goes back to college, that's what to expect.
rj umberger is actually a very good player.

had we signed him after the rucinski trade, we would have been better off imo.

chalk that one up as another sather swing and miss imo.

and he didnt actually go back to college, he signed with philly as a fa after we couldnt come to a deal with him.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:15 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
he signed with philly as a fa after we couldnt come to a deal with him.
Sort of. The Rangers opted to not sign him and decided to take the compensatory draft pick instead.

07-01-2010, 09:19 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
We get a second rounder if McD doesn't sign, right?

That would be three second rounders next year...that's a pretty good haul...OR a great way to move up to the top two or three picks and draft a stud.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Levitate

McDonagh will make his decision next week. Says he'll go talk to his family and coach. Says he was leaning one way before the start of this week...don't know what that all means, but he also apparently enjoyed camp

http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:22 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
it seems to me that mr mcdonough is approaching this situation like hes a free agent. hes not. he really has no leverage with which to negotiate, other than staying in school, which he seems to be playing to the hilt with his comments to the press.

hes a draft pick, albeit one that was aquired in trade as opposed to one that we chose. and draft picks either sign or they dont. most, like almost all, sign. the ones that dont usually think they can do better.

either way, its fine to want to get to know the organization and the people and players, but really, when you are drafted you have zero say on who drafts you or where you go. you either sign or you dont.

assuming you can jump from 3 years of college hockey straight to the nhl is presumtuous and misguided. most cannot and thus most spend some time in the ahl. see gilroy, matt.

its not money- other than bonus and its not terms. in this case, it appears that mr mcdonough is torn between staying in school one more year and completing his education- which i admire btw or, signing with the team that owns his rights- a team that has openly expressed their desire for him to come to camp and make the team.

there is both an opportunity for him to make the ny rangers and a willingness on the part of the organization to offer him a contract to do exactly that. all he needs to do to make that happen is make a commitment.

his obfuscating is whats troubling.
If he doesn't get onboard this year... he is

Gilroy and McDonagh are two totally different animals.

McDonagh is big in size and doesn't have the problems with speed or skating that other guys have with his frame.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Levitate

Also not sure why it'd be presumptuous to think he could right to the NHL when that's basically what the Rangers are telling everyone.

Old
07-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
McDonagh will make his decision next week. Says he'll go talk to his family and coach. Says he was leaning one way before the start of this week...don't know what that all means, but he also apparently enjoyed camp

Good, hopefully he signs.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Also not sure why it'd be presumptuous to think he could right to the NHL when that's basically what the Rangers are telling everyone.
Hehe, really! I mean, hasn't it been a given that a roster spot is basically his to lose?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:30 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Good, hopefully he signs.
He'll talk to his family and college coach. Who knows what they will result in.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Hehe, really! I mean, hasn't it been a given that a roster spot is basically his to lose?
Meant that I don't see why it's presumptuous of HIM to be thinking he could go right to the NHL, since that's basically what the Rangers seem to be saying

Old
07-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Meant that I don't see why it's presumptuous of HIM to be thinking he could go right to the NHL, since that's basically what the Rangers seem to be saying
I know. I was agreeing with you about the Rangers handing him the spot. Inflection is lost in text

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:46 PM
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
We get a second rounder if McD doesn't sign, right?

That would be three second rounders next year...that's a pretty good haul...OR a great way to move up to the top two or three picks and draft a stud.

pretty sure the 2nd will be in 2012, mcd doesnt become a fa until after the next draft

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:48 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:

He stated he wanted to stay in college and captain a team for a national championship. Why would he need to speak to family and his coach, unless he has changed his mind.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Levitate

Except that's not what he said

Old
07-02-2010, 02:36 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
He stated he wanted to stay in college and captain a team for a national championship. Why would he need to speak to family and his coach, unless he has changed his mind.
Captain a team? Yes. National championship? Zero chance. Wisconsin will be a team full of freshmen following all the defections this season. If he does not commit next week, he will be gone to free agency. Too bad, because the Rangers need him. They need defense, and cannot go out and get someone until they knw what is up with McDonagh.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:43 PM
FOXHOUND*

I like Gross' reporting much better today

Quote:
At the beginning of the week, McDonagh said he was not going to make any decisions during the week but it definitely seemed like he was leaning toward returning to Wisconsin. That wasn’t the case when I talked to him today before he left.

“I can’t say enough about how much fun it was out here, everybody was great,” the 6-1 McDonagh said. “This group of guys got pretty close over five days. I’ll take a few days over the weekend for July 4 and set it in stone early next week, meet with (Wisconsin) coach (Mike) Eaves and have a decision after that. I was kind of leaning one way for sure. Coming out of here having fun obviously helps the process. But I still want to go back and think things through.”

Ill be honest, If he wants to go back, but will promise that he will sign with the Rangers next summer, I dont care what he does. I'm just worried about losing a very good player here.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:49 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
I like Gross' reporting much better today

Ill be honest, If he wants to go back, but will promise that he will sign with the Rangers next summer, I dont care what he does. I'm just worried about losing a very good player here.
I wonder how much of it is that he wants to tell Eaves his decision first, face to face. Eaves has been known for his great relationships with his players, McD undoubtedly has a ton of respect for the man just from some of his quotes.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Yeah pretty much. He could be a real good player and you don't want them to get away

Old
07-02-2010, 02:53 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
I wonder how much of it is that he wants to tell Eaves his decision first, face to face. Eaves has been known for his great relationships with his players, McD undoubtedly has a ton of respect for the man just from some of his quotes.
This makes a lot of sense. I just get a sense that he really enjoyed himself more than he expected. Maybe, it's just me, but, can't you envision McDonagh, Stepan and Kreider all sitting around their rooms, plotting how they will be taking over the team someday, in a naive kid way?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:54 PM
FOXHOUND*

and if his quotes are be believed then the Rangers def made a good impression on him.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote