HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Ryan McDonagh-3 year ELC

Old
07-06-2010, 07:43 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post
So he will be playing with us? Or is he going to play with Hartford?
we'll find that out in September. patience!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Why would the Rangers place Rozsival on waivers?He is making $7 million combined in the next two seasons. Look at what TB gave Kubina 2 years/$7.7 million and at what some of the other D received last week. The $5 million cap hit is out of whack but the Rangers have already paid off 65% of the contract.

Souray is owed $9 million in real money over the next two seasons with a $5.4 million cap hit. Also factor Souray's injury history. Now you know why he cleared waivers on Saturday.

If you look at the 2009 and 2010 free agent defensemen group III signings,no cap hits above $5 million. No crazy Wade Redden and Brian Campbell contracts.
wow alot of people hate Rozsival but he is still a top 4 dman on most teams. he still has trade value if they choose to trade him. rangers could keep him, he is the rangers only real vet on defense, no way i want McDonagh taking tips from Redden .

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:51 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
wow alot of people hate Rozsival but he is still a top 4 dman on most teams. he still has trade value if they choose to trade him. rangers could keep him, he is the rangers only real vet on defense, no way i want McDonagh taking tips from Redden .
SHort of being traded for a late 1st rounder and a few more further back picks (which wont happen. ) I say Roszi is fine for the 2 years left. He doesn't fail as epicly as Redden or Drury and he also doesn't cost as much. He will also occassionally have a very good game too and is a nice, albeit overly expensive stop gap while our young guys get prepped to come up.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Axxion89

Rosival is slightly overpaid but he does what he has to do. He can be packaged up if needed as he does have value to any team who needs a solid defenseman to add some depth.

As for my earlier comment on make or break years for Dubi and Cally, I believe that if Dubi regresses or shows a stop in development, he might be traded while he has value mid season. As for Callahan, I don't think he will be traded at all but another 40pt season would drive his value down and force him to accept either a cheap under 2.5 million with us or hit the market (I think he is UFA after this right? I'm prolly wrong). In short, Dubi is the only person I believe who is under pressure to perform on this team.

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
news! news! not only news, but good news! The Kovalchuk logjam is killing me. This is great for the team though. If we stand pat, I also see Redden possibly remaining up. I'm sure the moment he sucks (because he'll probably have a good camp, you know, playing against AHLers and all) he'll get sent down to the AHL. I wonder if anyone would take him on re-entry waivers because Redden is probably still worth ~$3M a year. Plus I doubt he's gonna do worse than 14 points and 1 ppp. That was an abysmal year for him. Even in his two bad years in Ottawa, he still managed 19 and 16 ppp in 64 and 80 games respectively.
The funny thing is I have 2 friends who told me after the loss of Gonchar (They are Penguin fans) they would take Redden from us on Re-entry waivers. Now that was before thy got both Martin and Michalek, but that makes me believe somewhere someone may take him on re-entry waivers.

We have discussed trying to move Brash with a pick to the Isles, would someone be more inclined to tell another team if you take Redden we will include a 2nd round pick? Is that type of risk worth it? I'm not saying i have made my mind up and would, but freeing up that cap space if Slats for some reason can't bury him would help with free agency next season if we don't deal rozy at some point

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
SHort of being traded for a late 1st rounder and a few more further back picks (which wont happen. ) I say Roszi is fine for the 2 years left. He doesn't fail as epicly as Redden or Drury and he also doesn't cost as much. He will also occassionally have a very good game too and is a nice, albeit overly expensive stop gap while our young guys get prepped to come up.
now if sather can sign a depth dman like shane hnidy or some type of gritty physical 7th dman. rangers can use some grit... too bad Jason Strudwick resigned in Edmonton. he was always a team guy and i thought played well as a Ranger.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion89 View Post
Rosival is slightly overpaid but he does what he has to do. He can be packaged up if needed as he does have value to any team who needs a solid defenseman to add some depth.

As for my earlier comment on make or break years for Dubi and Cally, I believe that if Dubi regresses or shows a stop in development, he might be traded while he has value mid season. As for Callahan, I don't think he will be traded at all but another 40pt season would drive his value down and force him to accept either a cheap under 2.5 million with us or hit the market (I think he is UFA after this right? I'm prolly wrong). In short, Dubi is the only person I believe who is under pressure to perform on this team.
I think there is a lot less pressure on Dubi to be honest. If we really wanted to move him, dubinsky and gilroy for Horton before the bruin trade... done deal if I was Tallon. Then we don't trade sanguinetti and still show McD we have a spot for him.

Dubi will be playing wing, probably with Gaborik, not center. If he stays healthy and does his thing he will be fine, there will be a lot more pressure on Christensen IMO, because if he doesn't have a strong start then he will be scratched and lose confidence. If Dubinsky plays his game, goes to the net, does the work along the boards, and forechecks provided he stays healthy, he should have a good year.

Old
07-06-2010, 08:34 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
“It was just a process we had to go through,” the 21-year-old said over the phone today. “I feel physically ready, mentally and whatnot. We felt it was to go through that prospect camp first and really get to know the people there, get to know the staff and everybody. I thought it went really great - those people are committed and just want to make you a better hockey player.”
Quote:
“You’re competing against the guy next to you, and that’s going to push me, but ultimately you’re playing as a team,” McDonagh said. “The guys at that camp, that was a focused group of players; we just want to get better every day. … If I step into the minors to start out, that’s not going to be the worst thing in the world.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...shirts+Blog%29

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Thanks for all the updates RB....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:43 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
The funny thing is I have 2 friends who told me after the loss of Gonchar (They are Penguin fans) they would take Redden from us on Re-entry waivers. Now that was before thy got both Martin and Michalek, but that makes me believe somewhere someone may take him on re-entry waivers.

We have discussed trying to move Brash with a pick to the Isles, would someone be more inclined to tell another team if you take Redden we will include a 2nd round pick? Is that type of risk worth it? I'm not saying i have made my mind up and would, but freeing up that cap space if Slats for some reason can't bury him would help with free agency next season if we don't deal rozy at some point
If a team offered a second round pick with a 6.5M dollar player for one season, I doubt they get any takers. Redden has 3 more years after this upcoming season. If it takes you a second rounder to get rid of him that would be a steal, but IMO it won't happen. If you offered a second for every year they took his contract, that's 4 second rounders, I still doubt it happens. Even if a team would listen to that, it's too steep a price for us to pay. The most logical end to this is a demotion. The money is not a big deal to Dolan. If the Isles were inclined to take on buyouts to reach the cap floor, IMO it would make more sense for them to take on multiple smaller buyouts that had less term and amount, and pick up picks with them. It makes no sense to saddle yourself with a long term problem like Redden, in the event your team is competetive in 2-3 years, you're not going to want that albatross around your neck.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
If a team offered a second round pick with a 6.5M dollar player for one season, I doubt they get any takers. Redden has 3 more years after this upcoming season. If it takes you a second rounder to get rid of him that would be a steal, but IMO it won't happen. If you offered a second for every year they took his contract, that's 4 second rounders, I still doubt it happens. Even if a team would listen to that, it's too steep a price for us to pay. The most logical end to this is a demotion. The money is not a big deal to Dolan. If the Isles were inclined to take on buyouts to reach the cap floor, IMO it would make more sense for them to take on multiple smaller buyouts that had less term and amount, and pick up picks with them. It makes no sense to saddle yourself with a long term problem like Redden, in the event your team is competetive in 2-3 years, you're not going to want that albatross around your neck.
We all know Redden is not the player he once was and if his salary and length of his contract didn't handcuff this team financially there would not be such outrage. Look I want him gone just as badly as the next person, I just wonder if Sather can really work some magic and get someone to take him because the fact we were so quiet in free agency is so Un-Sather. I figured we would get Hedberg/Biron, and at least a defenseman. Looks like McD is being given that chance to make the team, I just pray his partner won't be Redden cause that is not going to help the kid at all.

Redden needs to be buried or rid of somehow, someway, sooner rather than later...

Old
07-06-2010, 11:23 PM
The Thomas J.*

From all the articles i've read today it seems like he may be ready to make the team out of training camp.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:05 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post

His hit on re-entry waivers is still too high for any team to be interested in that, IMO. Especially for four years. We'd almost be better off buying him out anyway, at least the hit for us would be smaller and spread out a little better

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:15 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Man, I really thought this kid was self-centered, egotistical, and thought he was owed something by the team.

Glad to have him aboard. He's a keeper for sure.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:30 AM
JimmyStart*

Well I hope the door doesnt hit him on...oh wait he signed!? Oh uhhh...well shoot i'm hungry...anyone have some humble pie with a strong dose of riddlin to calm me down so this doesn't happen again...?

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:30 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Yes Baby, Welcome on board Ryan

Really really happy about the signing

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 08:38 AM
NYROrtsFan

I actually hope we go into the season with this current team.

If we are in the mix for the playoffs, we actually have the cap room to add a real good player.

Redden is going to get every chance to stay and play here next year. I think he's truly playing for his job in training camp. If not, the Rangers have plenty of guys they would be willing to put on that 3rd pair.

And Hartford's talent level is just so much higher this year than last.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 08:51 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

McD's cap hit per CapGeek:

SEASON ___AHL SALARY __NHL SALARY __P. BONUSES __S. BONUS ___CAP HIT
2010-2011 ____$65,000 _____$875,000 ____$425,000 __$87,500 __$1,300,000
2011-2012 ____$65,000 _____$875,000 ____$425,000 __$87,500 __$1,300,000
2012-2013 ____$65,000 _____$875,000 ____$425,000 __$87,500 __$1,300,000

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1814

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Reijo R

Assuming Redden & Rozy are here come October, what will the D-pairings look like? Maybe this:

Staal-Girardi
Rozy-MDZ
Redden-McDonagh
Gilroy as 7th or in HTFD

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We had to trade Sanguinetti and give him a 1.3 mil ELC just to freaking sign?

Cant imagine what RFA is going to be like. This kid better be as good as I think he can be.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 09:24 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
We had to trade Sanguinetti and give him a 1.3 mil ELC just to freaking sign?

Cant imagine what RFA is going to be like. This kid better be as good as I think he can be.
I may be wrong, but I think that's pretty much around where he's slotted, Fitzy.

EDIT: Just checked and Brandon Sutter (drafted right ahead of him) is at a little over $1.2MM and Keaton Ellerby (drafted 2 picks ahead) was at the same $1.3MM - so we paid a little bit of a premium, but not much. Not unexpected given that this is 3 years after his draft year and he would've been eligible for UFA next year.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I may be wrong, but I think that's pretty much around where he's slotted, Fitzy. Brandon Sutter (drafted right ahead of him) is at a little over $1.2MM and Keaton Ellerby (drafted 2 picks ahead) was at the same $1.3MM so we paid a little bit of a premium, but not much.
I forgot how high he was drafted, but I suppose you're right.

I was comparing it to Del Zotto's 1 mil which was incorrect.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 09:33 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I'm happy to see him signed!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 10:43 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
From all the articles i've read today it seems like he may be ready to make the team out of training camp.
Wisconsin is getting Pillaged this offseason. I would be surprised to see if he made it out of camp. I have watched him a bunch of times in Madison, and he does have all the tools, but another year in Madison may have benefited him still. BUt it's still probably better to play pro in Hartford vs better competition then in the WCHA I guess. Still Pissed you got him for Scott ******* Gome$

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Edge

I think he has a legit shot to make it out of camp.

However, something tells me they wait before making a move. If McD looks like he is capable of sticking around for the whole season and Redden continues to stink, I could easily see them eventually working Redden off the team and Gilroy back into an everyday role.

I just don't know if they have the guys to do it at the start.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote