HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Ryan McDonagh-3 year ELC

Old
07-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

vCash: 500
Glad he shaved that awful mustache.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:43 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
It's going to be nice to have Staal 2.0 on the blue line.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:47 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
We had to trade Sanguinetti and give him a 1.3 mil ELC just to freaking sign?

Cant imagine what RFA is going to be like. This kid better be as good as I think he can be.
We didn't have to trade Sanguinetti.... But it's obvious that management had no plans for him in the future so they moved him when they could.... Highly doubt that Bobby was going to outplay McDonagh from a defensive standpoint in game/pre-season... I don't believe the Sanguinetti trade has any bearing on whether or not McDonagh was going to sign....

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:59 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
We didn't have to trade Sanguinetti.... But it's obvious that management had no plans for him in the future so they moved him when they could.... Highly doubt that Bobby was going to outplay McDonagh from a defensive standpoint in game/pre-season... I don't believe the Sanguinetti trade has any bearing on whether or not McDonagh was going to sign....
i said it before and ill say it again. we made a mistake on saguinetti. too soon to bail on a kid we took in the 1st round and way too soon to move him for the meazly return we got.

i continue to believe there was something torts did not like about this kid and once that happens, you are good as gone.

that episode in camp last year comes to mind.

he wasnt a torts guy and he now hes gone.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i said it before and ill say it again. we made a mistake on saguinetti. too soon to bail on a kid we took in the 1st round and way too soon to move him for the meazly return we got.

i continue to believe there was something torts did not like about this kid and once that happens, you are good as gone.

Shouldn't wait and see what the return his before you deem is measly?

07-07-2010, 12:18 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think he has a legit shot to make it out of camp.

However, something tells me they wait before making a move. If McD looks like he is capable of sticking around for the whole season and Redden continues to stink, I could easily see them eventually working Redden off the team and Gilroy back into an everyday role.

I just don't know if they have the guys to do it at the start.
McD could potentially stabilize any d-pairing with sound defensive play. I don't know which side our D play but McD-Gilroy for example. Gilroy won't have to cover for Redden and can play more of his game. Same with McD-MDZ but it's still too early. He should make the team but we shouldn't expect instant results like some did with Gilroy. He is a rookie after all.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

I don't think we should have moved Sang's, but a 2nd+6th isn't a bad return considering he didn't do much to earn a spot on our roster.

How many players collapsed last camp besides Bobby? I know Torts likes to push his players to the limit, but I recall no other player taking it like a *****. You're a professional athlete in your early 20's, and guys like Voros+Brashear, Prospal+Redden, and MDZ+Gilroy proved they were in better condition than you.

You're digging for reason's to dislike Torts.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:30 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Shouldn't wait and see what the return his before you deem is measly?
um...... after this years draft, which is still dont like, im not sure thats a good measure.

the return will be based on both the player we draft with that pick or the value of that pick if we move it and directly proportionate to the type of career bobby has. in nthis case, it will take alot longer to define meezly.

i choose to still believe we gave him away too soon.

Old
07-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...shirts+Blog%29

If I step into the minors to start out, that’s not going to be the worst thing in the world.”

Noticed that as well. Makes me real happy to hear that he's not expecting a spot on this team.

Who does McDonagh replace though, if he does make it out of camp?

I know the immediate response would be "Redden", but for all of Wade's patheticness, he's still a better player than Gilroy. At least he was last season.

Is Torts going to carry 7-dman this season, and maybe juggle the 3rd pairing between Redden, Gilroy, and McD? I know he doesn't typically do that, but considering how much youth we have on our blue-line it could be benefitial long-term.

We saw what a drop-off in performance both MDZ+Gilroy had as the season progressed. I don't think a single off-season is going to make that dramatic a difference in their conditioning. You don't adapt overnight.

Matt's going to get a good look this year. RFA next summer. Numerous teams were bidding for him. I wouldn't write him off yet. Kid probably should have spent last season in Hartford. Hopefully his rookie year accelerates his development.

Throw Valentenko's name in the mix of things, and I think it's safe to say we'll see some different pairings throughout the year.

Old
07-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Gilroy needs to play wing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPkMZdmOKuE

There is room for something like this on our roster. Because we are not spending our extra cap this summer, I think Slats is planning on carrying a full 23 man team. both McDonagh and Gilroy can be in NY.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:38 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Noticed that as well. Makes me real happy to hear that he's not expecting a spot on this team.

Who does McDonagh replace though, if he does make it out of camp?

I know the immediate response would be "Redden", but for all of Wade's patheticness, he's still a better player than Gilroy. At least he was last season.

Is Torts going to carry 7-dman this season, and maybe juggle the 3rd pairing between Redden, Gilroy, and McD? I know he doesn't typically do that, but considering how much youth we have on our blue-line it could be benefitial long-term.

We saw what a drop-off in performance both MDZ+Gilroy had as the season progressed. I don't think a single off-season is going to make that dramatic a difference in their conditioning. You don't adapt overnight.

Matt's going to get a good look this year. RFA next summer. Numerous teams were bidding for him. I wouldn't write him off yet. Kid probably should have spent last season in Hartford. Hopefully his rookie year accelerates his development.

Throw Valentenko's name in the mix of things, and I think it's safe to say we'll see some different pairings throughout the year.
The immediate response should be Gilroy... He was the weakest link last season....

Old
07-07-2010, 12:48 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I don't think we should have moved Sang's, but a 2nd+6th isn't a bad return considering he didn't do much to earn a spot on our roster.

How many players collapsed last camp besides Bobby? I know Torts likes to push his players to the limit, but I recall no other player taking it like a *****. You're a professional athlete in your early 20's, and guys like Voros+Brashear, Prospal+Redden, and MDZ+Gilroy proved they were in better condition than you.

You're digging for reason's to dislike Torts.
digging ? no reason to work that hard. just slightly moving the dirt is all it takes

your statement is silly. how do you know that ? and didnt do much to earn a spot? he played pretty well in hartford last year, much better than the prior year and yet he got 5 games in ny. 5 games isnt enough to make a determination on his future. is it ?

the guy was a 1st rounder who projected as an offensive dman capable of playing pp and being involved up ice. and sangs was an ahl allstar last year. thats pretty good isnt it ?

yeah, bob wasnt a torts guy for sure. and once torts says he doesnt like you, you might as well look elsewhere for work. im so hoping sangs goes to the canes and makes that team.

09-10 61 9 29 38 -9 3
08-09 78 6 36 42 -8 3

those numbers, while not extraordinary, are still quite good and show a guy who looks to be offensively talented and perhaps defensively adequate.

again, no need to look very hard at why torts is a clown. everything about the guy screams.... i'm a tool !!

this move has torts written all over it. sorry if you disagree.

Old
07-07-2010, 01:19 PM
SPG

Quote:
digging ? no reason to work that hard. just slightly moving the dirt is all it takes

your statement is silly. how do you know that ? and didnt do much to earn a spot? he played pretty well in hartford last year, much better than the prior year and yet he got 5 games in ny. 5 games isnt enough to make a determination on his future. is it ?

the guy was a 1st rounder who projected as an offensive dman capable of playing pp and being involved up ice. and sangs was an ahl allstar last year. thats pretty good isnt it ?

yeah, bob wasnt a torts guy for sure. and once torts says he doesnt like you, you might as well look elsewhere for work. im so hoping sangs goes to the canes and makes that team.

09-10 61 9 29 38 -9 3
08-09 78 6 36 42 -8 3

those numbers, while not extraordinary, are still quite good and show a guy who looks to be offensively talented and perhaps defensively adequate.

again, no need to look very hard at why torts is a clown. everything about the guy screams.... i'm a tool !!

Those numbers show absolutely nothing about him being "defensively adequate"

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Those numbers show absolutely nothing about him being "defensively adequate"
Nor did his short stint in the pros.

1 dimensional offensive defensemen have to be pretty spectacular to survive in today's NHL, and no matter how fast Sangs could skate, it doesnt excuse the fact that

A. He was beaten to his own spot by a kid 2 years younger

B. He failed to improve substantially in his second year in the minors

C. During his cup of coffee he was solely responsible for a goal that demonstrated exactly what the problem with his NHL game was going to be.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:24 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:

09-10 61 9 29 38 -9 3
08-09 78 6 36 42 -8 3

Actually your statement is the silly one. but what could this board expect but more complaining from the master. 5 games? it took him what 4 years to get those 5 games? He also had to constantly struggle to improve his game especially defensively just to reach adequate and I'm not sure he ever reached it.

AHL all star means nothing otherwise people would knock down our doors to trade for Corey locke and his 80 points last year. Sometimes AHL talent doesn't translate to the NHL if there is a glaring hole in your gme like being defensively inadequate as a defenseman. My guess is stuff like being the fastest skater works for the AHL but not in the NHL where everyone is seasoned and positionally sound enough to deal with that.

I really was hoping he'd get the shot to play but looking at our other prospects and how much room is on the team he's definitely the weakest link. Also he was a LATE 1st rounder let's not act like we took him 10th overall. We got back a 2nd and a 6th for a late first rounder....got that back for a guy who couldn't crack the lineup.

Most of what you're saying is subjective but this idea that we barely got anything in return is flat out laughably wrong.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Gilroy needs to play wing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPkMZdmOKuE

There is room for something like this on our roster. Because we are not spending our extra cap this summer, I think Slats is planning on carrying a full 23 man team. both McDonagh and Gilroy can be in NY.
I don't know about Matty @ wing. Completely different game.

Quote:
The immediate response should be Gilroy... He was the weakest link last season....
Agreed. But I think we'll see a different version of Matt this year. I don't think most athletes can transition from the NCAA's docile schedule, to the NHL. Physically, he wasn't ready. His positioning was off. He wasn't confident. All those can be coached though. He has the skills. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I think some of us might be overlooking this kid because of his age, and rookie season. We all preach patience this, and rebuild that, but most of this board is ready to write this kid off after 1 year.

Quote:

09-10 61 9 29 38 -9 3
08-09 78 6 36 42 -8 3

Like I said, I don't really agree with the trade. Believe me, I would have been a lot happier with Bobby in our system, opposed to another 2nd rounder in a weak draft next year (assuming Sather doesn't trade it, which is unlikely).

Gilroy and MDZ looked great last camp. Bobby didn't outplay either player. There was no chance in hell Sang's was going to replace Staal, Girardi, Rozy, or Redden either.

In the 5 games Bobby played, he didn't do much to prove he deserved to stay up here. Man up, and just accept the fact that Torts had little to do with Bobby's slow development.

I don't even like Torts, so there's no reason for me to defend him. If you have an issue with Bobby being traded, look at the person responsible for moving him. Or like I said before, just blame Bobby for not living up to his 1st round hype as fast as we expected him to.

Old
07-07-2010, 03:10 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Glen Sather may look to add a veteran defenseman for depth, but the front office and coaching staff see in McDonagh a player who has a chance to make the team out of training camp and who brings more stability to a very young group. If Wade Redden is the odd man out once camp ends, the defense could be McDonagh (21), Dan Girardi (26), Marc Staal (23), Michael Del Zotto (20) and Matt Gilroy (26) with Michal Rozsival (32).

"All the signs are there that they're building a young core, Mr. Sather has been saying that a lot," McDonagh said. "If I can be a part of it, that's great. There's still a lot of work to do before that happens."
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...nagh-1.2084163

Call him Slats. Sather has a good rapport with the players. He spoke to MZA about playing for the Rangers. McDonagh wanted to see what the Rangers were all about.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:16 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Bobby Sanguinetti is headed for another season of AHL hockey.

Carolina brought back Corvo today. 2 years/$4.5 million

Top 4 is Pitkanen,Gleason,Babchuk and Corvo. 2 lefties and 2 righties. Bottom pair is Harrison and McBain(former Wisconson D w/McDonagh). They might re-sign either Carson or Picard who were not qualified(arbitration eligible). That would make 7 D

3 righties in the top 6 with Babchuk,Corvo and McBain

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:52 PM
RichManitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Glad he shaved that awful mustache.
The team wore "Playoff Mustaches" instead of beards.

RichManitoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 04:42 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I still don't understand why anyone would speculate that we would go with Matt Gilroy over Wade Redden if we didn't have another UFA defenseman to sign and commit Redden's cap space to.... It's a no brainer to opt for Redden over Gilroy if there's no other UFA defenseman in play....

Old
07-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Cermi

Quote:
I still don't understand why anyone would speculate that we would go with Matt Gilroy over Wade Redden if we didn't have another UFA defenseman to sign and commit Redden's cap space to.... It's a no brainer to opt for Redden over Gilroy if there's no other UFA defenseman in play....
We don't need Redden, McDonagh will make the team, I'm pretty sure about that - even if he isn't excellent in camp, he'll get the shot to make the team. If he fails in October, then he'll go down to AHL.

Gilroy will remain as 7th dman and Redden can suck in Hartford.

It all depends on retaining both Staal and Girardi o/c.

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 05:24 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Agree. For the millionth time.

On this board it honestly comes down to age. Unfortunately when you throw in Wade's ginormous cap hit, it's even worse.

Redden sucks, and his cap hit blows. But if you're strictly comparing his play as a defenseman to Gilroy's last year, it's not even close. The people who comment about Gilroy suffering from playing with Wade are crazy, mostly because they would never even consider the fact that Wade probably suffered way more playing with Gilroy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cermi View Post
We don't need Redden, McDonagh will make the team, I'm pretty sure about that - even if he isn't excellent in camp, he'll get the shot to make the team. If he fails in October, then he'll go down to AHL.

Gilroy will remain as 7th dman and Redden can suck in Hartford.

It all depends on retaining both Staal and Girardi o/c.

In what world is Gilroy as a seventh D beneficial to anyone? The kid needs to be playing. He should've been in the A last year. Don't make the same mistake twice. Let him play top minutes in Hartford. We'll get a much better read on him.

Seventh D? What a waste.

He'd suck 10 times as much as he did every game last year.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 05:28 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Agree. For the millionth time.

On this board it honestly comes down to age.
Okay but I'm talking about a Newsday writer suggesting it, Aurthur Staple... He should know better from a practical standpoint that the Rangers would be idiots to opt for Gilroy over Redden in the line-up without utilizing the extra cap space...

Old
07-07-2010, 05:34 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Okay but I'm talking about a Newsday writer suggesting it, Aurthur Staple... He should know better from a practical standpoint that the Rangers would be idiots to opt for Gilroy over Redden in the line-up without utilizing the extra cap space...
Yeah sending Redden down without using the cap space doesn't make sense.

If someone wants to argue for Gilroy over Redden it's based purely on hope and age.

The hope that he will improve and the fact that he's still young enough to do so.

Then again, any reporter who supposedly watched the team last year suggesting Gilroy should even be in the NHL might be the better argument.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:39 PM
pwoz

Erickson > Redden

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote