HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Ryan McDonagh-3 year ELC

Old
06-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Pogo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Sorry Edge, we didn't draft him so obviously he sucks.

(I hate the Sarcasm smiley, just assume its here).

Good post man, it got lost in this thread.
We should probably give back the 1994 championship banner, we didn't draft even half of those dudes.

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:52 PM
free0717

Just get Avery to take him out on the town. He will forget about that Wisconson Broad real fast.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:54 PM
LamoTheKid

You know, it's kind of just as bad of an attitude coming from the fans that he should be knocking down doors to sign with the Rangers.

Maybe this is why Montreal had no problem including him in the deal for Gomez? Anyone ever think of that?

Let's wait to see if Uncle Glen can pull this off before we start bashing this kids attitude.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:55 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

From the first post in this thread

Quote:
On another personnel front, senior-to-be Ryan McDonagh will join Stepan in the Rangers' prospects camp this week, a critical step in determining where McDonagh will be playing next season.

If McDonagh likes what he hears from New York officials, it's expected the standout defenseman will sign, becoming the fourth underclassmen to leave the Badgers for the pros since April.

If McDonagh doesn't get the proper vibes/assurances, it's expected he will return for his senior season and captain the Badgers.
http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c03286.html

Three weeks ago

Quote:
Defenseman Ryan McDonagh could return for his senior season and serve as captain, or he could sign with the Rangers. Eaves said last month that McDonagh will likely wait until after their prospects camp in early July before making a decision.

A source close to the team said recently that McDonagh was leaning toward turning pro, but Stepan said he could see the former first-round pick of Montreal in 2007 — his rights were traded to New York last June — “going either way.”
http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c002e0.html

Nothing McDonagh said today contradicts the previous reports from the Madison,Wisconsin paper.

Rangers personnel have been nothing but positive in their comments about McDonagh.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Edge

My only concern with McDonagh turning pro is something that is beyond his control.

Stay-at-home defenseman don't always get the credit they deserve, especially in message boards. Because there is little offense to point to, it seems that every mistake they make on defense is amplified and held against them.

If a kid posts 2 goals, 15 points and plays solid defense, I can expect that there will be people on here calling him dime and dozen and his rookie season a disappointment.

In my experience, everyone knows what a stay at home defenseman is, but not everyone understands it. Even fewer properly appreciate it.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claxton View Post
I really hope this isn't something behind the scenes with a woman he's in a serious relationship with and she doesn't want to go to NYC.

"If you sign with them we're finished! I can't live there! Cmon babe, stay with me at college for another year and then we'll decide together where you should play to benefit the both of us."

But seriously Ryan, sign the damn contract.

Utter nonsense, When did this boards turn into some TMZ hybrid with nonsense not being discredited.......I mean surely nobody would take this post seriously right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Entirely possible - it's occured to me too. I wonder if any of the Wisco insiders who post here occasionally can shed any light...?
Entirely possible? really...based on what?

And what did McDonagh say today that he hasn't said before? It's the first day of prospect camp!!!! He showed up.....Did you expect him to say anything diffrent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
How could one turn down hundreds of thousands of dollars for some broad? I don't care how madly in love you are. If she's not willing to move with you (especially when you'll be racking in serious cash), then she's not worth it.
Where are you getting this info from? You realize the poster(s) above you were speculating based on ZERO inside information.

This is what we've come to on this board....I can't believe it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Kid's def coming across like a bit of a ****** right now. Put pen to paper and get your ass in gear. The pro game's actually available to you... idiot.
Did you hear his interview? Do you know his tone to his comments? What did he say that was so bad?

Not...one....damn.....thing...

I'd love to be in negotiations with some of you.....It would be great!

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Levitate

I just have a hard time getting a read on his comments (noting that they also come through the filter of a reporter). Something feels a little off, but it may be nothing at all or I could be projecting something.

Not gonna rip on him now or demand he be traded, I just hope he signs and can be a good player for the Rangers.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:36 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

He just sounds like a college kid at a crossroads...

and I honestly cant blame him. I would want my degree too. He can get his degree and be on the team next year, even more ready than this year.

It would suck having to choose between your last college year and earning your degree or turning pro. It sure as hell is enticing to go pro though.

I really have no clue what he will choose, but he said wants to meet more people in the organization. That being said, Graves, Messier, even Leetch would have a PROFOUND effect on me, maybe cause im a Ranger fan but I think on any hockey kid. Messier and Graves are two of the greatest leaders and guys to play the game. Lets hope theres a certain wow factor there that lures him to sign.

He could always get his degree after his career is over like Richter did.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:51 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
He just sounds like a college kid at a crossroads...

and I honestly cant blame him. I would want my degree too. He can get his degree and be on the team next year, even more ready than this year.

It would suck having to choose between your last college year and earning your degree or turning pro. It sure as hell is enticing to go pro though.

I really have no clue what he will choose, but he said wants to meet more people in the organization. That being said, Graves, Messier, even Leetch would have a PROFOUND effect on me, maybe cause im a Ranger fan but I think on any hockey kid. Messier and Graves are two of the greatest leaders and guys to play the game. Lets hope theres a certain wow factor there that lures him to sign.

He could always get his degree after his career is over like Richter did.
He can also take summer classes for a few years and get it as well.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:07 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I'd venture to say that it's probably the 21 and under crowd doing that. Regardless of what their "age" on their profile says.
Yeah, because when you turn 22 you're automatically 100% mature. Of all the things that bother me about this board, the idea that every stupid comment comes from a young person is really up there. You do realize that we spend a lot of time here talking about and analyzing some players on this team who are under 21, correct? If they're immature or stupid or something because they're young, what does that make us for spending so much time discussing them?

Young does not equal stupid. Please let this idea go.

On the subject of the thread...

People are blowing this McD article way out of proportion. He's been a hockey player for years now, I'm sure his dream is to play in the NHL like every other player. I hope he comes to the team this year, but I'm not going to freak if he wants to wait one more. I think its dumb on his part, but he's got the talent, he can do what he wants. Like HockeyGuy said, he's going to meet Messier and Graves, two of the best leaders and players in the history of the league. I have a feeling they will be able to convince him to come to the rangers.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:16 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Dont underestimate the effect that the guys in this organization could/will have on young players.

If theyre trying to sell the team and court young guys to play here, theres no better IMO than Messier and Graves.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Could always count on SoS to bring the attitude around.

Have YOU heard the interviews to know he DOESNT?

god forbid we speculate anything on a forum... which you know... is here entirely for this sort of thing

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:39 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post

People are blowing this McD article way out of proportion. He's been a hockey player for years now, I'm sure his dream is to play in the NHL like every other player. I hope he comes to the team this year, but I'm not going to freak if he wants to wait one more. I think its dumb on his part, but he's got the talent, he can do what he wants. Like HockeyGuy said, he's going to meet Messier and Graves, two of the best leaders and players in the history of the league. I have a feeling they will be able to convince him to come to the rangers.
That´s the way it is.

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:21 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
My only concern with McDonagh turning pro is something that is beyond his control.

Stay-at-home defenseman don't always get the credit they deserve, especially in message boards. Because there is little offense to point to, it seems that every mistake they make on defense is amplified and held against them.

If a kid posts 2 goals, 15 points and plays solid defense, I can expect that there will be people on here calling him dime and dozen and his rookie season a disappointment.

In my experience, everyone knows what a stay at home defenseman is, but not everyone understands it. Even fewer properly appreciate it.
For a second I thought you were talking about the drafting of McIlrath...the same description applies.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:22 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I just have a hard time getting a read on his comments (noting that they also come through the filter of a reporter). Something feels a little off, but it may be nothing at all or I could be projecting something.

Not gonna rip on him now or demand he be traded, I just hope he signs and can be a good player for the Rangers.
I think he was talking more to the guys who were turning this thread into a "TMZ" (hahaha) type discussion and the guys who were demandiung he be traded based on an article with his quotes in it.
You were cautious yet rational in your comments

Quote:

Have YOU heard the interviews to know he DOESNT?

god forbid we speculate anything on a forum... which you know... is here entirely for this sort of thing
Nobody heard the interviews he said that which means anything we're doing is specualtion yet people are demanding he be traded on this thread. So those people are demanding trade based off speculation which is highly irrational. For whatever reason some people on this board seem to have it out for the kid there were personal attacks made against his hypothetical gf haha! People calling him a moron, saying the kids a ****, trust me any attitude was brought to this thread waaaaaay before SoS got here. I thought his comments were actually spot on and hilarious.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:28 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:

Can't speak for others but Staal is one of my favorite players on the team. like a 1c slightly behind Voros and brashea-(Everyone just went )ah I mean Cally and Lundqvist. Seriously though if McD and Mcllrath wind up being shutdown guys anywhere close to Staal, with MDZ also there I can't imagine a better blueline in all of hockey

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I can kinda understand the kid being cautious. He doesn't want to be the next Sanguinetti. You can say he's going to get a shot to make the team, but so did Bobby. All of his competition for the spot has pro experience. It's also almost assured the team won't have the cap space to carry 7 blueliners even if they think he's "close". There's a very real chance he's going to see several weeks in Hartford, at least, and he knows it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
It would suck having to choose between your last college year and earning your degree or turning pro.
It wouldn't if you were driven by a desire to play NHL hockey. It's a stop on the road to reaching your ultimate destination. You never want to stop too long.

Quote:
I definitely got a good laugh out of that post.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
It wouldn't if you were driven by a desire to play NHL hockey. It's a stop on the road to reaching your ultimate destination. You never want to stop too long.
Yeah that's kind of the thing, the vague feeling I got like he doesn't quite realize yet that he's a legit pro prospect and could be playing in the NHL and being a quite good player.

Which could be complete ********. Again, hard to read a few comments and get a good sense of what's going on.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:46 AM
msv957

I am not sure what the deal with McD is all about... He is a prospect that has not done anything at the NHL or even AHL level.... There are plenty of prospects out there with the same situation as McD.

He just needs to keep on developing whether it be in college or wherever.... It is like a soap opera with McD on where he is going to play this year.

Any reasons or speculation why Montreal included McD in the trade?

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Yeah that's kind of the thing, the vague feeling I got like he doesn't quite realize yet that he's a legit pro prospect and could be playing in the NHL and being a quite good player.
Makes you wonder who's got his ear.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Makes you wonder who's got his ear.
Suggesting Eaves is pressing him to return to Wisconsin?

Old
06-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Suggesting Eaves is pressing him to return to Wisconsin?
Seems like it would be in their best interest, and everyone on the Rangers side if saying things that you'd think would be making him question college career.

Could there be some "pro representation" giving their advice through the parents?

Old
06-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Levitate

Agent telling him to not sign and become a UFA next year (let's be honest these guys basically have agents, they're just called "family advisors")?

Wouldn't be out of the question but again, venturing pretty far into the realm of speculation

Old
06-29-2010, 09:22 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
I am not sure what the deal with McD is all about... He is a prospect that has not done anything at the NHL or even AHL level.... There are plenty of prospects out there with the same situation as McD.

He just needs to keep on developing whether it be in college or wherever.... It is like a soap opera with McD on where he is going to play this year.

Any reasons or speculation why Montreal included McD in the trade?

exactly. Everyone thought Gainey was Gomer Pyle after this deal went down and McD was included. This kid has "issues" and he hasn't even made the team yet.

I'd like knock both his and staal's heads together right about now.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:31 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

seems like alot of drama if you ask me. dude needs to sign his contract and start his career. all th due dilligence is one thing, trying to leverage an nhl team is quite another.

it sounds like hes looking for some kind of guarantee that he will make the team and not go to hartford and hes using that as leverage. if so, i call bs to that.

the sangs thing seems odd timing wise. i mean, we got a pick in next years draft so it didnt help us this year one bit. i really hope this wasnt some kind of attempt to placate this young man. if it was, and he still doesnt sign, thats when i let him go back to school and move on.

again, if hes looking for a guaranteed spot on the roster, before he signs a deal, that sets a very bad precedent and one that other prospect will expect as well.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote