HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #1: at New Jersey, 10/08 (6:00 PM CT, FSSW, 1310 AM)

Old
10-08-2010, 08:46 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Faceoffs
DAL 24-39 62%
NJD 15-39 38%

Well, that's different. And that was with Petersen going 1 for 6.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Eksynyt Stars

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Eksynyt Stars Send a message via MSN to Eksynyt Stars
Wow, gutty win Stars. Keep it up!

Eksynyt Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Scoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I'll admit that last bit threw me off for a sec.

Your "ZIP Line" looked amazing out there, must be nice to be able to watch those guys every game.
Yeah, like I'll root for the "Pinche" Rinches* ( Habla Espanol?)

Our offense is fine, our defense is...horrible.

* the Texas Rangers law enforcement agency in the wild frontier,long before the modern day laws of our great state. AKA the greatest state in the union

Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Alistar

oh man what a great effort! I watched the game at a friends house so I couldn't post, but that was the most fun watching the Stars I've had for years. I really feel optimistic for this team because they showed they have the skill and physicality to play with even the best teams in the league.

I said before the game that if Dallas won this one they'd win their first three and I'm sticking to that. I don't see why there's any reason at all why the team I watched tonight couldn't beat any team in the league.

Big props to everyone on the team for bearing down and playing through the two awful breaks that started the game. That showed real character and determination, not to just give up in a seemingly hopeless situation like they've done too many times in the past.

**I thought that Robidas, Fistric, and Daley were all huge in the third period. Each one had scoring chance saving plays on defence - with the most obvious being Robi saving a goal obviously. Skrastins was pretty invisible (which is fine) and Grossman / Niskanen need some work with the puck on their stick. Multiple bad turnovers for both of them.

Overall a very promising start.

Last edited by Alistar: 10-08-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 09:27 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Amazing game! One of the best games Stars played this season
I had a good feeling we would get the win as I posted. But comming back down 2-0 and 3-2 execellent!! Kari solid game, I have a really good feeling Kari will have a career year and will get us in the playoffs.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 10:39 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Well, now that I'm over being pissed about our horrendous D, I can come here and congratulate you guys for a good opening night win. Sick shot by Louis, and the Stars definitely deserved the win. Stepping away from being a fan of a particular team, I imagine it was a fun game to watch.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 10:49 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Just got back from the game. Was amazingggggg. The Richards line really stepped it up the second period and beyond. Riberio was still the best player on the ice. It's so refreshing to see us have 2 #1 Centers again, really gives our team the depth it needs.

NJ was so strange. A lot of the fans were really childish, and after each goal for DAL the arena was silent as a rock. Not even any "AWww" or "ughhhs." Just dead silence. I didn't even think Loui scored on the OT goal because no one reacted. Also the random "RANGERS SUCK" chants are hilarious. IDK how the 2nd most successful franchise in the past 20 years has such an inferiority complex, but they sure do.

Wish I could make it out to Uniondale to see the Islanders game tomorrow, but not enough dough. Great game tonight though, you can really tell there's something different about this team this year. If they can keep it up, we might be surprised.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:07 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Just got back from the game. Was amazingggggg. The Richards line really stepped it up the second period and beyond. Riberio was still the best player on the ice. It's so refreshing to see us have 2 #1 Centers again, really gives our team the depth it needs.

NJ was so strange. A lot of the fans were really childish, and after each goal for DAL the arena was silent as a rock. Not even any "AWww" or "ughhhs." Just dead silence. I didn't even think Loui scored on the OT goal because no one reacted. Also the random "RANGERS SUCK" chants are hilarious. IDK how the 2nd most successful franchise in the past 20 years has such an inferiority complex, but they sure do.

Wish I could make it out to Uniondale to see the Islanders game tomorrow, but not enough dough. Great game tonight though, you can really tell there's something different about this team this year. If they can keep it up, we might be surprised.
It is pretty ridiculous, isn't it? I've been trying to change that and the you suck thing after scoring a goal, but unfortunately 1. It's here to stay and 2. I don't know if there would be any noise at all if it weren't for those chants...

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Clearly the key to beating New Jersey at home is to have Arnott wear the red and white.

Way to go boys!

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Dallasman

Well I am happy to see us come out with the win in Jersey. It's been a while, or seemed that way anyways, that we've won there.
Anyways, good start to the season and let's keep it going. I enjoyed that immensely!

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post
It's been a while, or seemed that way anyways, that we've won there.
Only 10+ years. No biggie.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 01:26 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Entertaining game all around. Sweet passes by Ribeiro and Neal. Loui with his patented dirty goal down low and then that sweet wrister.

By comparison, New Jersey's defense made our crew look pretty solid. Not to pick on him already, but Niskanen had a few (is it too soon to call them "classic") Nisky moments.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 01:32 AM
dnicks17

Was Brunnstrom a healthy scratch? Injured?

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 01:43 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Was Brunnstrom a healthy scratch? Injured?
Healthy.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:01 AM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post

Sorry, I'll try to go "Awww" or "ughhhs" more next time you visit.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:02 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Sorry, I'll try to go "Awww" or "ughhhs" more next time you visit.
Try to start "Awww"-ing whenever Greene does something, that way you'll be ahead of the curve when the other team scores.

Old
10-09-2010, 11:29 AM
glovesave_35
Name

One post-game morning into the season and I'm reminded why our de facto hockey writer in town gets on my nerves.

Quote:
Brad Richards, Brenden Morrow and Mike Ribeiro led the top two lines, and Stephane Robidas and Karlis Skrastins were rocks for a stuttering defense. That helped give confidence to younger players like Eriksson, James Neal , Matt Niskanen and Nicklas Grossman. The end result was not only a strong mix of talents but also the bonding of a team.
It's a pretty neat trick he's got going. Pick an offseason storyline to latch onto and craft the next season's motif around that. Am I crazy for not grouping Eriksson and Grossman into the true definition of young players? Two of the steadiest players on the team, regardless of age.

Lazy.

Old
10-09-2010, 11:32 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

Yeah, Skrastins/Niskanen sucked, as anticipated. Nobody was getting confidence from anyone there. Robidas was nothing special apart from his desperation save. Almost got clowned Ovechkin-style by Kovalchuk. Looked generally awkward with the puck.

Old
10-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I can't say they outright sucked. Niskanen looked improved and Skrastins didn't look terrible, but he was mediocre.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

vCash: 50
Yeah, I don't think Niskanen deserved much hate for his performance last night. He seemed much improved.

Ambassador Of Fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:45 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Try to start "Awww"-ing whenever Greene does something, that way you'll be ahead of the curve when the other team scores.
Naw...I think we just don't Awww much in NJ. We turn around a go home. But this is interesting. To quote Christopher in Sopranos: "Look what you learn when you cross cultures and ****".

Loui is an awesome player, like him a lot.

On a more serious note, I'll gladly take Greene's play just before the OT goal this time of the year. He didn't want to sit back and just wait for SO, and that is what Devils fans really want to see from this team now. That third period was just incredible hockey, and I was happy to be in there even if we lost at the end.

Peace.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Grossman is just starting his fourth year, which is definitely on the young end. The only one I'd quibble with is Eriksson, but he's not that much older, just starting his fifth year and 25. That's still young for this league and this team.

Young players can (and many times should!) be steady players. Young is not an excuse for playing like Niskanen did last season. Other NHL teams don't care how old you are. What's lazy is to pretend young players are always going to get better or that they can't be solid players even while adjusting to the NHL game.

As for last night's game, it looked a lot like last year with a little more backcheck oomph from the forwards (and we'll see how long that lasts). Niskanen was very meh with the puck and made me want to put my face through the screen when he tried to reverse the puck through the Devil on his back on the PP. Daley was his usual spazzy self making phenomenal or idiotic plays with very little in between. Fistric calmed down after the first, and the other three were less than noticeable except for Robidas made that fabulous kick save.

If Turco would have been in net, some people would have been screaming bloody murder after two of the first four shots went in.

I was very impressed with the pass Neal made to Richards, though less so with his backcheck. Ribeiro also looked energized. Maybe it was all that white powder flying off the puck.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:13 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Yeah, I'm more just annoyed that Heika is so damned predictable. Given what he has been writing all offseason and preseason he had to shoehorn Ribeiro's added "leadership" into his first game summary article. I don't have a problem if and when it is warranted because I think Ribeiro does seem to be putting forth a more mature attitude, but it's just kind of annoying to hear Eriksson, and to a lesser extent Grossman in his cute little one-or-the-other categories of "young player" or "veteran/leader." It's like he had his article written during warmups and just waited for a couple of things to happen during the game to "prove" his points.

Zero competition in the local hockey journalism market means we all suffer. I can't imagine following this team from Canada with Heika being the peephole into the Stars' universe.