HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Pants?

Old
03-09-2010, 11:34 AM
meanolthing

vCash: 500
Hockey Pants?

Hey guys and girls, I'm currently buying myself new gear to get back in the game after a 5 year absence. I played in grade school and high school, so I'm quite familiar with what goes where and so forth. Everything is picked out and sized except for my pants. Local pro-shops in MD aren't exactly well-stocked, so I'm gonna be guessing a little bit here. I'm a bigger guy (pants size 42), so I assume it'd be best to purchase XXL (or 56 I suppose) hockey pants to accommodate. Currently looking at Tackla Air 9000, Graf GS, and Harrow Torch. Any opinions? I was interested in the Bauer one95's until I saw the size chart heh. Thanks a lot!

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Skraut

I got a size 52 pair of these at my local Perani's (I'm pretty sure that's an XL)

http://www.hockeyworld.com/index/pag...+Pants-+Senior

I was a waist size 46 when I got them, and they were snug, now after a couple months of Skating I'm a 42 and they seem overly huge on me.

I got scared by size charts too, but try anything and everything you can at your LHS.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanolthing View Post
Hey guys and girls, I'm currently buying myself new gear to get back in the game after a 5 year absence. I played in grade school and high school, so I'm quite familiar with what goes where and so forth. Everything is picked out and sized except for my pants. Local pro-shops in MD aren't exactly well-stocked, so I'm gonna be guessing a little bit here. I'm a bigger guy (pants size 42), so I assume it'd be best to purchase XXL (or 56 I suppose) hockey pants to accommodate. Currently looking at Tackla Air 9000, Graf GS, and Harrow Torch. Any opinions? I was interested in the Bauer one95's until I saw the size chart heh. Thanks a lot!
I tried on many pants and got the tackla 2440s, a bit less expensive than the 5000 or 9000 model - but still very protective, well-made, and comfortable.

My gut is close to 41" but I fit perfectly into tackla's size 52, not sure why that is but with pants, perhaps as importantly as skates, you MUST try on before buying.

The Graf 7000 also is a quality product, just did not fit quite as well as the 2440, but my shape is different, and the Grafs may be an excellent fit for you.

Last edited by nystromshairstylist: 03-09-2010 at 02:44 PM.
nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 04:22 PM
meanolthing

Cool, cool. Looks like I'll just troll my local pro-shops for pants, and get the shoulder and shins online. Thanks for the input!

Old
03-09-2010, 04:52 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

I'm not sure of my waist size but I'm 5'3, 140lbs. I got a CCM size L hockey pants and they are a little big, but my LHS didn't have a M. They work, but I'll probably have to get suspenders.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Cool, cool. Looks like I'll just troll my local pro-shops for pants, and get the shoulder and shins online. Thanks for the input!
Unfortunately in this area it's hard to find a well-stocked pro shop. Have you tried Kettler? They tend to be overpriced, but slightly better stocked than some of the other local shops. The equipment guys are pretty knowledgeable, so if they don't have what you need they can probably help you find it.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 05:27 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
I'm not sure of my waist size but I'm 5'3, 140lbs. I got a CCM size L hockey pants and they are a little big, but my LHS didn't have a M. They work, but I'll probably have to get suspenders.
Not sure about a large since they might be just too big for you, getting in the way of your legs.

Get a pair that is snug when new, because they will stretch as you play in them. I'm 5-10 1/2 and 185 lbs, and generally wear a Bauer or CCM large, so I'd think you'd be swimming in them.

Hockey monkey and hockey giant still have them in stock:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/icepants-ccm-sr.html

http://www.hockeygiant.com/ice-inlin...key-pants.html

Old
03-09-2010, 06:16 PM
meanolthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Unfortunately in this area it's hard to find a well-stocked pro shop. Have you tried Kettler? They tend to be overpriced, but slightly better stocked than some of the other local shops. The equipment guys are pretty knowledgeable, so if they don't have what you need they can probably help you find it.
Kettler is on the shortlist, so is the Ice Gardens at Laurel, too bad they're in opposite directions from me, heh. Rockville Ice Arena was decently-stocked for shoulders and shins, unfortunately size-wise everything was limited to mite or Andre the Giant :p.

Old
03-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Webernaut

Tacklas ftw

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Kettler is on the shortlist, so is the Ice Gardens at Laurel, too bad they're in opposite directions from me, heh. Rockville Ice Arena was decently-stocked for shoulders and shins, unfortunately size-wise everything was limited to mite or Andre the Giant :p.
It's funny, I play in a league at the Gardens, but I've only been in their pro shop once, and that was for a stick cap which they gave me for free. So I have no idea how well stocked they are.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:46 PM
greyraven8

have the tackla 5000 pro and for in goal an old pair of tackla keeper. both a size 54 - i'm wear 38" pants. am about 5'10" and weigh about 190lbs.

quite a while back got a good deal on both - partially i suspect because of the odd colours.
the goalie ones i got off ebay are north stars green, and got the ducks coloured (purple) pants from hockeydawgz.com

some find tackla pants bulky, but i really like them - fit me well and offer very good protection.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webernaut View Post
Tacklas ftw
I have wanted to check out some Tackla pants for a long time and never get it done.

I have a pair of older CCM Supras in the closet, they are still okay but not very nice in the comfort department.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:07 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
You probably need a small. Besides, how do you not know your waist size? You have pants, do you not?

As for brand, tacklas are the way to go. Love my pro 5000s.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:18 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Im 5'11" 170lbs and I can wear a small easton. Granted if I put on any more weight Ill need a medium but I gotta say when I tried on larges they greatly interfered with me so I cant imagine you in full gear with larges working too well.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:12 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Not sure about a large since they might be just too big for you, getting in the way of your legs.

Get a pair that is snug when new, because they will stretch as you play in them. I'm 5-10 1/2 and 185 lbs, and generally wear a Bauer or CCM large, so I'd think you'd be swimming in them.

Hockey monkey and hockey giant still have them in stock:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/icepants-ccm-sr.html

http://www.hockeygiant.com/ice-inlin...key-pants.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
You probably need a small. Besides, how do you not know your waist size? You have pants, do you not?

As for brand, tacklas are the way to go. Love my pro 5000s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Im 5'11" 170lbs and I can wear a small easton. Granted if I put on any more weight Ill need a medium but I gotta say when I tried on larges they greatly interfered with me so I cant imagine you in full gear with larges working too well.
Hmm, thanks for the advice guys. I tried a small on at the store and I could barely get it on, granted I had jeans on but the worker told me I probably needed to go up a size. I got them brand new but Play It Again only allows 2 weeks to bring stuff back, so I would have to sell them and then buy another size, which would kind of suck. But I'll look into it.

Also, I don't know my waist size because I'm a girl and our pant sizes are not inch measurements.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:43 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Ah, I was wondering if that might be the case. Anyway, pants are supposed to fit snugly, it helps them stay up, and most will break in and loosen up in the process. With jeans on as well, the smalls were probably the right size, if not then the mediums. But I don't think there's any way the larges were a good choice.

Usually if the thought is "I can make these work", it's probably not your size. I've made do with ill fitting equpment before, but only when I know it's only a temporary situation.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 08:57 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Hmm, thanks for the advice guys. I tried a small on at the store and I could barely get it on, granted I had jeans on but the worker told me I probably needed to go up a size. I got them brand new but Play It Again only allows 2 weeks to bring stuff back, so I would have to sell them and then buy another size, which would kind of suck. But I'll look into it.

Also, I don't know my waist size because I'm a girl and our pant sizes are not inch measurements.
Do not, I repeat - DO NOT - try them on over jeans, that was a BIG mistake I made.

Jeans are far thicker and more cumbersome than anything you will actually play in under the pants. I did this and ended up with a pair of pants much too large. I bought CCM V06s in the XL size, and "felt" something was amiss even though I had no experience. (Good pants though, just not as good a fit for my shape as the Tacklas).

I went into a LHS looking for sticks who also happened to carry Tacklas, and I just thought to try a pair on since the HF board raves about them - the proprietor there said "take your sweat pants off, and try them on in just your underwear/boxers, otherwise you'll have no way of fitting them properly". I'd be wearing ill-fitting pants much too large had I not listened to him.

As I was aware of your bolded statement, it makes it even MORE important for women players to try the pants on, given how women are shaped differently than men, especially in the hips/waist area.

Last edited by nystromshairstylist: 03-11-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old
03-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Johan Santana

Quote:

don't use suspenders as a crutch, the pants should fit very snug and should not fall down by themselves after being tightened

alot of women look into larger junior size pants as well

Johan Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:51 PM
greyraven8

tackla makes a women's pant.

here's one of the places online that sells them.

http://www.hockeygear.com/tac880wombrh.html

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:59 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
US Tackla pants are ok at best, Canadian Tackla pants were great pants.
US Tackla = Montreal Hockey Co.
Can Tackla = Vaughn
Every Tackla pant in the NHL was Canadian, US Tacklas are made in Asia.

NOW the Canadian Tackla pants line is being sold as Eagle pants after Vaughn acquired Eagle. This move allows Vaughn to distribute pants in Canada and the US, as their Tackla distribution contract was for Canadian retail sales only.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 02:38 PM
bp spec

Can anyone tell me something about the Warrior equipment status in North America? I'm thinking aboutbuying pair of the Hustler pants. The brand itself, is it popular? Well used? I mean the pads, not the gloves and sticks.

Some of you maybe uses the Hustler pant or some other Warrior pant, let me know what you think about them then.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:15 AM
TBLfan

They must be doing something right, in under two years they grabbed a rather large market share in the NHL.

I've only put on pro stock pants so I cannot comment on the retail line.

I have a friend that has a pair of custom Warriors and he claims they are by far the best pants he's ever had(and finally long enough).

Old
06-16-2010, 07:45 AM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
They must be doing something right, in under two years they grabbed a rather large market share in the NHL.

I've only put on pro stock pants so I cannot comment on the retail line.

I have a friend that has a pair of custom Warriors and he claims they are by far the best pants he's ever had(and finally long enough).
The only thing that I can see change the pad itself if it's cusomized is that you can get "Beefed-up Plastics" ( increased protection in crucial zones (thigh, hip, kidney, coccyx, spine) ?

The fact that you can embroidery your name and stuff, can't change the pant's comfort and padding and so on.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:30 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer View Post
The only thing that I can see change the pad itself if it's cusomized is that you can get "Beefed-up Plastics" ( increased protection in crucial zones (thigh, hip, kidney, coccyx, spine) ?

The fact that you can embroidery your name and stuff, can't change the pant's comfort and padding and so on.
Custom length

Old
06-27-2010, 08:05 PM
phillipmatchett

Quote:
Wow - I'm a size L in CCM and I'm 6,2" 223lbs with a 34 waist. They're a fairly good fit. I had the XL on but were too loose for my taste and had mediums on but they were really snug and seemed rather short as well for my height.

phillipmatchett is offline   Reply With Quote