HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Goaltending Options

View Poll Results: Which Option is Best For Starting Goaltender
Sign Free Agent (Turco, Mason, Ellis, Biron, Niittymaki, etc.) 51 42.50%
Re-sign Leighton 6 5.00%
Trade for Young Goalie (Schnieder, Harding, Enroth, etc.) 23 19.17%
Trade for High End Starter (Vokoun, etc.) 17 14.17%
Free Agent Stop Gap, then prospect in a few years 23 19.17%
Boucher 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I think Vokoun is better than Miller. Miller needs to prove he can repeat this year's performance.

Lundqvist
Vokoun
Miller
Kipper
Bryz
Rask (will move up with time)

And I don't have much faith in Nabokov. He was one of the problems with the Sharks teams of the last few years
Miller probably won't repeat this year's performance, but if he played like that every year he would pretty much put himself on par with Hasek in his prime. This years results can be backed up by larger body of work that, while not as superb, is very strong. This is a career year, obviously, but it isn't a fluke or anything.

I have him in my top 2-3 guys, but I realize he isn't a lock to be in there or anything.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:27 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't want any part of Nabokov either. He just doesn't have the mental make up required for the playoffs. He lets in a bad goal and he just doesn't recover.

I know some people might not think much about this, but Peter Karmanos in Carolina has said that he wants the payroll to come down quite a bit this year and that he's looking to go a million or two above the floor. And, with Justin Peters looking like he's ready to take on a bigger role, what about the possibility of maybe looking at a guy like Cam Ward? After all, Carolina wants to get to the floor and what better way to get to the floor than to deal someone who is owed over 30 million for the next five seasons?

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:44 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
The hottest rumor has the Flyers putting together a package that could land them Los Angeles Kings' 21-year-old goaltending prospect Jonathan Bernier, who is stuck behind 24-year-old Jonathan Quick on the depth chart.

Bernier is scheduled to make $843,000 next season and become a restricted free agent in 2011.

The two names most often mentioned in trade talks involving Bernier are Coburn and Jeff Carter, who is entering the final year of a contract that pays him $5 million.
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...ime-for-Flyers

I think I've heard several L.A. fans say that Quick or Bernier aren't going anywhere until they both play in the NHL for one season (which I think would probably be a smart move) so I'd be surprised if this happened.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:54 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post

I think I've heard several L.A. fans say that Quick or Bernier aren't going anywhere until they both play in the NHL for one season (which I think would probably be a smart move) so I'd be surprised if this happened.
Best quote from Homer.

Quote:
"In the salary-cap world, you just never know what may happen," Holmgren said.
If that line doesnt fit him to the T....

And Homer's common philosophy:

Quote:
"Obviously, (a No. 1 goalie) has to stop the shots he's supposed to stop, but you need a strong team, and I think that's what we're looking at right now, to build a strong team and figure out the goaltending in the next little while. But we do have options."
Offense first, then Defense, then............. Goalie.... if that

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Best quote from Homer.

If that line doesnt fit him to the T....

And Homer's common philosophy:

Offense first, then Defense, then............. Goalie.... if that
In fairness, after his early foul ups, he appears to have bought into the idea that solid defense is really important. So, we're slowly working our way back to the goalie.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:04 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
In fairness, after his early foul ups, he appears to have bought into the idea that solid defense is really important. So, we're slowly working our way back to the goalie.
Yea I know. I was going to put defense first, then offense, but my idea was more focused on goaltending. I just really hope we go for good goalie this season. At the beginning of the offseason, I had hope, but after reading a few of Homer's responses, Im starting to lose it alittle. I can just see us going into the season with a Leighton/Boosh (or even Biron and Nitty again). We just need someone to make those few extra saves... thats all.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Gert B Frobe

I don't like the idea of spending a lot of money on a goalie right now. A few years ago the Flyers should have but now they don't need to. I think a 2-3 year stop gap kind of goalie until Bobrovsky or Eriksson is ready is the way to go. Ellis for 2 million would be great. I want nothing to do with Thomas or Nabakov - too expensive and will require the Flyers to give up too much.

Who are the free agents and how much will they cost anyways?

Nabokov or Turco are too expensive. I think Ellis or Mason would be just as good if not better but cheaper and younger.

Actually I think Mason would be absolutely amazing behind that defense. Hell that team would NOT finish 7th that's for sure.

Gagne Richards Giroux
Hartnell Briere Leino
JVR Carter Nodl/Maroon/Legein/Wellwood
Lappy Betts Powe

Pronger Carle
Timonen Hamhuis
Coburn Bartulis/Lehtivouri/Marshall/Bourdon

Mason Niittymaki

SICK

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yea I know. I was going to put defense first, then offense, but my idea was more focused on goaltending. I just really hope we go for good goalie this season. At the beginning of the offseason, I had hope, but after reading a few of Homer's responses, Im starting to lose it alittle. I can just see us going into the season with a Leighton/Boosh (or even Biron and Nitty again). We just need someone to make those few extra saves... thats all.
I mean, he's given no indication over the last couple years that we should have any confidence in his decision making, critical thinking, and long-term planning. He seriously seems to get hard ons for stuff and go chasing after it and figure out what's next after he gets it (note: he talked to Anaheim about Pronger at the deadline last year... went and got him in the offseason; talked to Nashville about Hamhuis... went and got him after the season).

This developing Hamhuis situation could be absolutely infuriating depending on what (if any) secondary moves he makes. I think Hamhuis could/should be an excellent acquisition, and it removes some of the concern about Carle and Coburn's problems as our "3rd" D. However, then he's going to leave us overly invested on defense... with no goalie.

That's before we address my long-term bugaboo with this team, which is that our forwards are just kind of goofy as far as assigning roles and responsibilities.

Old
06-22-2010, 11:14 PM
WolfHound

Nabby is available he will cost lots of money, unless the flyers move a huge contract. They will not be able to sign a good goalie.

WolfHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfHound View Post
Nabby is available he will cost lots of money, unless the flyers move a huge contract. They will not be able to sign a good goalie.

Very few teams are actively shopping for a goalie... and Nabby just got dropped by one of 'em. You have a team in Boston that would love to get rid of a goalie... Montreal just did get rid of a goalie (putting another decent starter on the market).

Nabby will likely cost a lot less than you're imagining, unless someone gets stupid out of the gate (ever possible with these idiot GMs).

Old
06-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post

Does anybody know that Bernier is better than Ellis or Mason? If Carter is traded to LA there would have to be something significant coming with him. I like Wayne Simmonds but Simmonds and Bernier for Carter? Not sure I'd do that.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Does anybody know that Bernier is better than Ellis or Mason? If Carter is traded to LA there would have to be something significant coming with him. I like Wayne Simmonds but Simmonds and Bernier for Carter? Not sure I'd do that.
If we're talking skaters that have to come back for Carter, start with Stoll... or maybe Handzus.

Old
06-22-2010, 11:48 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Cant see LA dealing Bernier or Quick.
People are really thinking that Ryan Miller is on the block? Why does Buffalo deal Miller? they have no reason to, the kids they have beind him arent close to being ready to being a NHL starter. They trade Miller and Buffalo is on the clock for the top pick in 11.
Nabokov might be the best goalie on the market. Yes he has had his playoff hiccups, but honestly. If we could of fit him in do we win the Cup?
No way do I want Tim Thomas.
Vokoun isnt on the block.
The market as its going down has us getting Turco. Unless Holmgren has a change of heart in the defense and frees up more money.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:09 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
People are really thinking that Ryan Miller is on the block? Why does Buffalo deal Miller? they have no reason to, the kids they have beind him arent close to being ready to being a NHL starter. They trade Miller and Buffalo is on the clock for the top pick in 11.
Nobody is "thinking" Ryan Miller is on the block. The reality is that the Sabres are hemmorhaging money to the tune of $10 million a year in operational losses. Ryan Miller also has a huge contract. Like I said, the stories that I got from the scouts that I talk to who work at CSB state that there has been some dialogue about the possibility of moving Miller strictly because of finances. He's also the Sabres most prized possession, so you know he'll garner quite a return. And Enroth is very close to being ready.

Old
06-23-2010, 12:32 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Nobody is "thinking" Ryan Miller is on the block. The reality is that the Sabres are hemmorhaging money to the tune of $10 million a year in operational losses. Ryan Miller also has a huge contract. Like I said, the stories that I got from the scouts that I talk to who work at CSB state that there has been some dialogue about the possibility of moving Miller strictly because of finances. He's also the Sabres most prized possession, so you know he'll garner quite a return. And Enroth is very close to being ready.
I agree he would garner quite a return. They will have Pominville, Rivet, and Montador coming off the books after next season. Thats nearly 10 million right there. They also have Drew Stafford who will be a RFA making 2.3.
I dont think they deal Miller personally, I think they look at other things first. Maybe I am wrong. i will be shocked if they deal him.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:04 AM
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

Carle for rights to Nabby, eat it SJ.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:20 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I agree he would garner quite a return. They will have Pominville, Rivet, and Montador coming off the books after next season. Thats nearly 10 million right there. They also have Drew Stafford who will be a RFA making 2.3.
I dont think they deal Miller personally, I think they look at other things first. Maybe I am wrong. i will be shocked if they deal him.
Oh, I definitely agree what you're saying. However, losing 10 million dollars a year is still losing 10 million dollars a year. Even with those three contracts coming off the books, those guys are still going to need to be replaced so the Sabres are still going to lose money. I'd also like to believe that they'll look at moving a guy like Vanek first, but his contract makes it even harder to move him than it would Miller. That's the real sad part about the situation in Buffalo.

Old
06-23-2010, 02:17 AM
phlocky

I have a very bad feeling that now that Boston aquired Horton, that they will end up trading Thomas to us for Gagne or Carter and that will piss me off royally. homer has been quoted as saying that he plans on addressing our goaltending issues through a trade and NOT through free agency. THAT scares the living hell out of me.

Man, I really REALLY don't want Thomas here unless we get him for just a 3rd in 2011 or even less. If we'd have to give up more than that I personally think we'd be better off to just sign Nabakov as a UFA and then trade whatever salary we need to get under the cap and take the picks/prospects/assets we get from trading that player and be ahead as compared to just trading that player for Thomas.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 02:42 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I have a very bad feeling that now that Boston aquired Horton, that they will end up trading Thomas to us for Gagne or Carter and that will piss me off royally. homer has been quoted as saying that he plans on addressing our goaltending issues through a trade and NOT through free agency. THAT scares the living hell out of me.

Man, I really REALLY don't want Thomas here unless we get him for just a 3rd in 2011 or even less. If we'd have to give up more than that I personally think we'd be better off to just sign Nabakov as a UFA and then trade whatever salary we need to get under the cap and take the picks/prospects/assets we get from trading that player and be ahead as compared to just trading that player for Thomas.
The only way I think i'd find Thomas tolerable is for Hartnell/Briere, and even then I wouldn't personally do it. As for Carter? That's laughable.

Edit: Apparently he makes 5mil, I was thinking it was 4 mil. Nevermind.

Last edited by decadentia: 06-23-2010 at 06:15 AM.
decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 04:48 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I dont think they deal Miller personally, I think they look at other things first. Maybe I am wrong. I will be shocked if they deal him.
Vanek would be the first place I look if I am them. Edmonton offer sheeted him to force his salary that high in the first place right? See if they still want him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
You're saying that they're ten million in the red for the year. I would think that they're gonna try to make some of that $10million up somewhere other than in player salary right? They have to be cutting some fat and streamlining other things in the organization.

Old
06-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Morinisbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I think Vokoun is better than Miller. Miller needs to prove he can repeat this year's performance.

Lundqvist
Vokoun
Miller
Kipper
Bryz
Rask (will move up with time)

And I don't have much faith in Nabokov. He was one of the problems with the Sharks teams of the last few years
Agreed about Nabby and I like your list. I think Luongo should be in there...near the top.

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:43 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Also, if you notice, when Ellis actually plays with a good defense, he does very well and can play big. I think he had a better season in 07-08 because of the defense he had. He may not have too many games, but he can play well enough for his size and I think he can easily be a starter. 2M should be understandable for him considering he made 1.75M this past season. I find that if he plays at least 40 games a season, he will have a good season.
He is also not a goalie that gives away games a la Biron. He can really keep his team in it. If it were not for the fact that Rinne is a pretty special goalie I'm sure Nashville would lock him up. For whatever reason they can really develop goalies there. I remember after the expansion draft wondering why the heck they drafted Vokoun. Mason is product of theirs as well. I think Pickard is their property as well correct? I know Ellis was drafted by the Stars but he developed a lot more in Nashville. Ellis is very calm in the net, and from what I've read very quiet and well liked by the team. I think it was Arnott (not sure at all) who was asked in an interview who was the most liked guy in the lockerroom and he had said something like "goalie are not usually very popular and keep to themselves but Dan is loved by everyone." I don't see him as an insanely underrated goalie who will come here and immediately be handed the Vezina, but he'd be a cheap short term solution and probably a guy who wouldn't make a stink if 3 years from now Bobo or Erickson have developed enough to take his job. I'd like to see a Ellis Leighton tandem with about a 50game to 30ish split.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:48 AM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Very few teams are actively shopping for a goalie... and Nabby just got dropped by one of 'em. You have a team in Boston that would love to get rid of a goalie... Montreal just did get rid of a goalie (putting another decent starter on the market).

Nabby will likely cost a lot less than you're imagining, unless someone gets stupid out of the gate (ever possible with these idiot GMs).
What scares me is the possibility that it might be Holmgren.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:59 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

July 1 can go one of 2 ways. It can go the Huet, Finger overpayment way or the welcome to the real world Marty Biron you aren't worth what you thought you were way. I'm leaning towards the latter especially when it comes to goalies, but we'll see. Maybe the cap increase will make GM's ******** again.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
He is also not a goalie that gives away games a la Biron. He can really keep his team in it. If it were not for the fact that Rinne is a pretty special goalie I'm sure Nashville would lock him up. For whatever reason they can really develop goalies there. I remember after the expansion draft wondering why the heck they drafted Vokoun. Mason is product of theirs as well. I think Pickard is their property as well correct? I know Ellis was drafted by the Stars but he developed a lot more in Nashville. Ellis is very calm in the net, and from what I've read very quiet and well liked by the team. I think it was Arnott (not sure at all) who was asked in an interview who was the most liked guy in the lockerroom and he had said something like "goalie are not usually very popular and keep to themselves but Dan is loved by everyone." I don't see him as an insanely underrated goalie who will come here and immediately be handed the Vezina, but he'd be a cheap short term solution and probably a guy who wouldn't make a stink if 3 years from now Bobo or Erickson have developed enough to take his job. I'd like to see a Ellis Leighton tandem with about a 50game to 30ish split.

Mitch Korn.