HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Goaltending Options

View Poll Results: Which Option is Best For Starting Goaltender
Sign Free Agent (Turco, Mason, Ellis, Biron, Niittymaki, etc.) 51 42.50%
Re-sign Leighton 6 5.00%
Trade for Young Goalie (Schnieder, Harding, Enroth, etc.) 23 19.17%
Trade for High End Starter (Vokoun, etc.) 17 14.17%
Free Agent Stop Gap, then prospect in a few years 23 19.17%
Boucher 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
What scares me is the possibility that it might be Holmgren.
Well, if Holmgren signs Hamhuis and Coburn before July 1st, he won't be able to overpay for anyone.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:06 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, if Holmgren signs Hamhuis and Coburn before July 1st, he won't be able to overpay for anyone.
I think if Carle gets moved for a pick, replace him with 1.5 per vet and we could have a chance at Nabokov ??

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:21 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I think if Carle gets moved for a pick, replace him with 1.5 per vet and we could have a chance at Nabokov ??
I still say pass on Nabokov... Personally, I think he is overrated, and chokes as much as the rest of the Sharks do.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Talbetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I still say pass on Nabokov... Personally, I think he is overrated, and chokes as much as the rest of the Sharks do.
THIS!!! never liked him...

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:38 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I think he has also been the beneficiary of being on good teams that make him look better than he is. I don't care how good he is reg season if he can't get it done post season. Sort of a CuJo in reverse.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:58 AM
thomaszwei

I wonder if Nabby and Boosh have a good relationship.

I read somewhere that the Sharks succeeded in spite of Nabakov, not because of him. While I do agree with that, he's also been let down by his teammates as well and that can't be overstated enough. I don't think the problem over there is Nabby not "gelling" with the team as much as it is the team as a whole not gelling at all.

Marleau was pretty invisible for long stretches during the WCF and the defense wasn't exactly stellar either. The fact that the Sharks are playing him 70+ games a season probably isn't helping matters, either. When you play that much hockey, breakdowns and collapses are inevitable.

If he was making himself available to the Flyers on the cheap (2.5-3m a year), you'd be a fool not to take him because he's a much better upgrade then what we've got now. However, I think the Caps will overpay for him and he'll sign there.

These rumors are going to be the death of me. July 1st can't get here soon enough.

BTW: Henrik Lundqvist is absolutely the best goaltender in the NHL. I've never seen a team more reliant on their goalie then the Rangers for the last four years or so. That being said, the Sabres come awfully close in that regard. Miller has blasted his teammates in the press for a lack of effort in the past, so I could certainly see him wanting out of Buffalo - he's never going to win a cup there, unless he does it all by himself.

It's hard to believe that the Sabres are in such bad financial shape. 9th in league attendance and 2nd the local television ratings (though they did drop significantly in ratings from '09-10). I also question why Detroit would want to trade for a big money goalie like that - Detroit perfected the entire "we're not going to pay for goaltending" philosophy and it has worked well for them. Then again, Holland has said in the past that if you can sign one of the top five goaltenders, you should - he just believes that the difference in quality between the #8-15 spots is negligible, and I'm inclined to agree.

Vokun is good also, but he hasn't single-handedly taken the Panthers to the playoffs the way Henrik has over the years. The Rangers will only go as far as King Henrik can take them.

Attendance/ratings information:

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_as...attendance.png

thomaszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:02 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszwei View Post
It's hard to believe that the Sabres are in such bad financial shape. 9th in league attendance and 2nd the local television ratings (though they did drop significantly in ratings from '09-10). I also question why Detroit would want to trade for a big money goalie like that - Detroit perfected the entire "we're not going to pay for goaltending" philosophy and it has worked well for them. Then again, Holland has said in the past that if you can sign one of the top five goaltenders, you should - he just believes that the difference in quality between the #8-15 spots is negligible, and I'm inclined to agree.
The problem in Buffalo isn't attendance or tv ratings, it's strictly a revenue issue. They just don't have the corporate backing that others teams do and they just don't get the concessions and breaks that other teams get. As well, Buffalo is small market, so in terms of drawing crowds and such, they're really limited to the area that they are in and maybe a crowd from Hamilton/Niagara Falls/St. Catherine's.

The other thing that kills them is the salary floor. If they had a payroll of 35 to 38 million, they could easily make money. Someone else mentioned they could cut from elsewhere, but their scouting and management departments have taken a huge hit since Golisano took over.

The reality is, the Sabres NEED to generate more corporate sponsorships.

As for Detroit wanting Miller, it only makes sense. Top goaltender in the league from Michigan comes home. They're also going to need a face for the franchise when Lidstrom retires and having a local boy who is still young only makes sense.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Foreverinour

no to nabokov, no to niitty and biron. turco? eh, maybe. ellis? possibly. enroth, quick, bernier, yes. with only quick having the chance of starting behind leighton/boucher/backlund.

Foreverinour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:16 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Oh, I definitely agree what you're saying. However, losing 10 million dollars a year is still losing 10 million dollars a year. Even with those three contracts coming off the books, those guys are still going to need to be replaced so the Sabres are still going to lose money. I'd also like to believe that they'll look at moving a guy like Vanek first, but his contract makes it even harder to move him than it would Miller. That's the real sad part about the situation in Buffalo.
That Vanek contract will be hard to move. Unless Buffalo moves an asset(a high draft pick or 2) with him Buffalo is stuck with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Vanek would be the first place I look if I am them. Edmonton offer sheeted him to force his salary that high in the first place right? See if they still want him.

I was shocked that Edmonton gave him that kind of sheet and I was even more shocked that Buffalo quickly matched. They could have used that money to acquire 2 or 3 players that could of made them deeper and better. But because of that they had to cut loose Briere and Drury. If Buffalo is truely in the financial hardship as rumored how do they continue to spend money? That is just bad ownership. That isnt on Darcy Regier who gave out those contracts.
Buffalo could just cut there loses and start over. There really isnt much up in Portland that can help them out outside of Enroth

You're saying that they're ten million in the red for the year. I would think that they're gonna try to make some of that $10million up somewhere other than in player salary right? They have to be cutting some fat and streamlining other things in the organization.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote