HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal style pizza in Toronto?

Old
06-22-2010, 03:10 PM
MattyHabs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
2 for 1 places aren't what I call mtl style pizza ...

That's more Montreal ... and there's very little sauce underneath the cheese
Oh lawd. There is (or was) a place in LaSalle that had pizza like that, always remembered the bread balls in the middle. Damn I miss that.

MattyHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Madsen View Post
Rather have a 4-8 hour cold pizza from our city than anything from where they are at.
Cold pizza is the best, man.

But yeah, never realized there was a "Montreal style" pizza. Gonna have to try that next time I'm in town.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:44 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
Cold pizza is the best, man.

But yeah, never realized there was a "Montreal style" pizza. Gonna have to try that next time I'm in town.
Just call an ''all dressed''

CareyClutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:15 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
That's what I heard...Chicago pizza seems to be of the deep dish variety with a lot of crust. If so, I probably won't like it.
I can't stand crust either but Chicago still rocks. Nothing has even come close. I'm open to trying Windsor but Chicago is world famous and I don't think it would be on the same level.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:19 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyHabs View Post
Oh lawd. There is (or was) a place in LaSalle that had pizza like that, always remembered the bread balls in the middle. Damn I miss that.
that's actually a Pendelis pizza ... always good for breakfast

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:20 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
2 for 1 places aren't what I call mtl style pizza ...

That's more Montreal ... and there's very little sauce underneath the cheese
You know, growing up in Montreal, the pizza that we ordered always looked like that with the giant ball of dough in the middle. Then I moved to Toronto and have yet to taste good pizza. There have been a couple mom/pop shops but still not the same.

Come to think of it, this place in Scarborough called McCoys has a brilliant peperoni pizza where they put the cheese on top of the pepperoni. Unfortunately, they don't have all dressed.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
Years ago I remember a place called Joanne's Pizza in Hamilton. It had better Chicago style pizza than anything I've ever had in Chicago. If you could eat more than 2 slices you were a hero.

I looked it up a couple years ago and I don't seem to be able find it. Must have closed shop.
found it - The Chicago Style Pizza Shack. Hamilton ontario.
Worth the drive.

I am salivating.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:24 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Come to think of it, this place in Scarborough called McCoys has a brilliant peperoni pizza where they put the cheese on top of the pepperoni.
I know a lot of places here will put the cheese over the pepperoni too ... just have to ask for it.

Old
06-22-2010, 05:30 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
I know a lot of places here will put the cheese over the pepperoni too ... just have to ask for it.
It's more than just that though...

crust..sauce...peperoni...cheese. It's just different. They really don't use a lot of cheese here, crust sucks and the sauce taste like ass. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Old
06-22-2010, 05:39 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
It's more than just that though...

crust..sauce...peperoni...cheese. It's just different. They really don't use a lot of cheese here, crust sucks and the sauce taste like ass. Of course, this is just my opinion.
lol, i know exactly what you mean dude.

Nothing like a greek family owned pizza shop in Montreal --- they know how pizza and subs should taste like that.

Al-taib, double pizza etc (lebanese owned joints) don't cut it for me.... I suspect TO is a bit closer to this in style.

Angela's downtown is another one that makes a traditional montreal pizza.... right next to concordia on Maisonneuve.... and I'm 90 % sure it's owned by a greek family.

Old
06-22-2010, 05:52 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
lol, i know exactly what you mean dude.

Nothing like a greek family owned pizza shop in Montreal --- they know how pizza and subs should taste like that.

Al-taib, double pizza etc (lebanese owned joints) don't cut it for me.... I suspect TO is a bit closer to this in style.

Angela's downtown is another one that makes a traditional montreal pizza.... right next to concordia on Maisonneuve.... and I'm 90 % sure it's owned by a greek family.
Honestly, most of the pizza here is from chains...Pizza Pizza tastes like frozen pizza...people pay to eat this crap. LOL

My mouth is watering looking at that picture.

Old
06-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Serious HABit

hollllyyyyyy!!! I remember those pizza buns in the middle. Where did they go?

A montreal style pizza, to me, is a pizza with extra extra cheese and medium sauce. It has thinnish dough but the crust is a little larger and crispier.

A como and miss italia pizza come to mind when I think of quick 'montreal fixes' for pizza.

But really good pizza is 'boite a pizza' on rue Mont-Royal. Good stuff.

I went to chicago last summer to visit my friend and that stuff was epic. Different, but epic. I don't mind the drive down there as soon as I eat the deep dish.

I still like Montreal pizza though.

Serious HABit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Shadyone33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I like San Francesco's but its not really Montreal style. Lots of cheese though
San Francesco's in Mississauga? I was there on Saturday. Did they change owners or something? I didn't see any of the regular employees that work there.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:11 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
Years ago I remember a place called Joanne's Pizza in Hamilton. It had better Chicago style pizza than anything I've ever had in Chicago. If you could eat more than 2 slices you were a hero.

I looked it up a couple years ago and I don't seem to be able find it. Must have closed shop.
What places have you ate at in Chicago? The place in Hamilton sounds good but I find it hard to believe it would be heads and tails above a really good place in Chicago.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Riddum

Bump for answers

Riddum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Take one to go

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:23 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Maybe that's why Dudley is moving here. He was at Chicago, exprienced amazing pizza, went to Atlanta, got sad. Brian Burke told him theres good pizza in Toronto (another 1 of his lies), now he wants to come here cuz he likes our cheese loaded no sauce pizza.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
I want pizza now with all this pizza talk
I want pizza too.

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:28 AM
belko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Madsen View Post
If you guys are ever coming down to see the habs in detroit stop in Windsor for our pizza. Seriously we are world renown(almost) for it.
I have only heard complaints from 2 guys from halifaz that said their lebanese style pizza was better than the Italian style in Windsor.
There are many different places and kinds here, but you almost cant go wrong.

When I go visiting I bring Pizza to my friends in Toronto and Calgary. They would Rather have a 4-8 hour cold pizza from our city than anything from where they are at.
The only thing I don't like about Windsor pizza is the shredded pepperoni :/ Pepperoni is round, Armando's, round!

belko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Good question...I've lived in Toronto for a while, but I'm not sure if any place has true Quebec-style pizza.

I wouldn't call anything Montreal-style pizza, but rather Quebec-style pizza, which is characterized by a lot of cheese and very little sauce which happens to be way sweeter than any pizza sauce anywhere else in the world. Pizza Como in Laprairie is a place that does a good job at Quebec-style pizza. That being said, I actually think the pizza you find in Montreal is generally mediocre, especially compared to the pizza you get in places like New York or Chicago.

Toronto pizza is equally mediocre, unless you go to a restaurant that makes authentic Napoli-style pizza, like Pizzeria Libretto on Ossington.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

find a greek restaurant that makes pizza not a chain
montreal pizza is technically greek resto pizza, pendelis pizza, buymore in the day and all those shops.
Sorry but even the italian places like napolitane cant compete with the greek pizza and i'm not saying this as a greek, but as a food lover.

I cant stand the toping on top of cheese and i hate thick crusts.

New york pizza is great cause they have a thin crunch crust, chicago pizza you just get exhausted with all the crust lol, but "montreal" pizza is just right....mmm

yup that my lunch....mirage pizza from laval...i didnt know what i wanted to eat till i saw this thread lol

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
Good question...I've lived in Toronto for a while, but I'm not sure if any place has true Quebec-style pizza.

I wouldn't call anything Montreal-style pizza, but rather Quebec-style pizza, which is characterized by a lot of cheese and very little sauce which happens to be way sweeter than any pizza sauce anywhere else in the world. Pizza Como in Laprairie is a place that does a good job at Quebec-style pizza. That being said, I actually think the pizza you find in Montreal is generally mediocre, especially compared to the pizza you get in places like New York or Chicago.

Toronto pizza is equally mediocre, unless you go to a restaurant that makes authentic Napoli-style pizza, like Pizzeria Libretto on Ossington.
There is not 1 place in NYC that has better Pizza than in Montreal. The Pizza in New York is quite disappointing

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post

i'll disagree
I went to joes pizza in the village, considered the must have pizza in new york, and not only were prices retarded, but while the pizza was fantastic, i've had better in mtl. But i'm not going to lie, if you told me that i can no longer get "montreal" pizza and only new york pizza, i wouldnt be sad.

In chicago the best pizza i had was from a guy that used to live in mtl who immigrated to chicago and opened a pizza place.

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

As far as food is concerned, Montreal is better known for poutine or smoked meat than for pizza... I find it surprising that there is a variety of pizza named after Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
I thought this thread was about Spezza.
Spezza did center a Pizza Line after all, and was nicknamed Pizza therafter.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:50 AM

Did anyone here try Amelios on Milton or Bottega on St-Zotique? I have heard good things about them. I need to eat there at least one time before I die.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote