HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal style pizza in Toronto?

Old
05-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Twist and Shout

vCash: 500
Now I'm craving a pizza!

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:52 PM
gunners14henry

I dont see the fascination with Chicago pizza. I hate the deep dish style

gunners14henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee* View Post
That's what I heard...Chicago pizza seems to be of the deep dish variety with a lot of crust. If so, I probably won't like it.

Pizza in Boston is absolutely atrocious. Had pizza at about 4 different places and all were bad.
Chicago and its residents eat both

Deep Dish is more a pizza you have every now and then ,, Usually thin crust / thin is the norm with Deep Dish the type you eat downtown , special occaissions or just for good filling meal

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Did anyone here try Amelios on Milton or Bottega on St-Zotique? I have heard good things about them. I need to eat there at least one time before I die.
Bottega was very good but I'll be honest it's got to be over a year I haven't been there. Got to have the Nutella pizza for desert

If your not far from St.Leo i'd suggest you try out La Belle Italienne on Jean-Talon same style as Bottega and if you like thick Pizza I still think Di Menna is the best one in the east end especially the "Speciale one" with meat sauce

OK need to have pizza now

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Bottega was very good but I'll be honest it's got to be over a year I haven't been there. Got to have the Nutella pizza for desert

If your not far from St.Leo i'd suggest you try out La Belle Italienne on Jean-Talon same style as Bottega and if you like thick Pizza I still think Di Menna is the best one in the east end especially the "Speciale one" with meat sauce

Thanks man I will add those to my list.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:03 PM
FF de Mars

Montréal style pizza rocks. In Bogotà, the pasta of the pizza is very sugary and there is not that much cheese on it !

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:26 PM
maci4life

if you want the best pizza or panzarrato in town go to Olympic 76 pizza. Yonge, north of wellesley.

I always get the panzarrato (fried ) with meat sauce on top. they give you a choice of 3 toppings ( fillings ) and they really load it up.

TO DIE FOR!!!

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:44 PM
habsnation11

Best "drunk" pizza in T.O. is Cora's Pizza on Spadina and Harbour (south of Bloor)

It's $4 a slice but its really 2 huge slices ala Pizza Danny on Mountain and St. Catherine

Enjoy!

habsnation11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:51 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

You have to go to Niagara Falls for good pizza, lots of Italians, mostly thin crust.
For great New York style pizza Antica or Yanks, for great bakery tray pizza Frank's. Hamilton has a great restaurant called La Cantina with great wood oven thin crust pizza.

Good pizza depends on the sauce, if the sauce is no good, the pizza is no good. Also pizza Bianco is the best around here, thin crust, garlic and olive oil, no sauce with artichokes, mozzarella, and olives, genius! I'm off to get a pizza now.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Patrice Brisebois

Whats all the hype with Montreal pizza? It's pretty mediocre, and whats the deal with pepperoni underneath the cheese?

The Big Slice in Toronto is one of my favourite places (Yonge & Gerrard)

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:56 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bernie Federko View Post
There's no such thing as 'Montreal style pizza'. Unless of course you're referring to the '69 cent' or '99 cent' crap pizza from back in the day...

What's wrong with Momma's, Amato, Pizzaiolo or even Pizza Nova? They all make a fine slice. Better than anything Montreal has to offer!
You did not have pizza in Montreal obviously....the 69 cent crap is not even worth talking about.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee* View Post
Any help? The pizza chains here suck. Any pizza spots that taste like Montreal pizza (a lot of cheese, not much sauce)?
Brother man, I feel your pain. I've lived our here a long time and the first thing I noticed was how bad the Pizza sucks. I grew up in Pierrefonds and loved the pizza there. Luna's on Gouin (which has been through many owners) was the absolute best. As of two years ago it's still the best (but you now have to order thin crust.)

In Toronto... I've found exactly ONE place where the pizza is up to snuff.

Warden and Sheppard there is a place called Remezzo's. That's the place you want to go.

In Kingston (the halfway mark) you can find yourself a tasty one at Bubba's pizza. They sell it by the slice - don't get just the slice - order an actual pizza it's much better.

Good luck in your travels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
...we're famous for our pizza??
Good God yes. Montreal pizza is the best. It's one of the hardest parts about leaving the city (food wise).
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bernie Federko View Post
There's no such thing as 'Montreal style pizza'. Unless of course you're referring to the '69 cent' or '99 cent' crap pizza from back in the day...

What's wrong with Momma's, Amato, Pizzaiolo or even Pizza Nova? They all make a fine slice. Better than anything Montreal has to offer!
Go sit in the corner and don't come out until you apologize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Halifax Donair in Milton (main street)
Giovanni's in Oakville (8th line and Upper Middle)
I'll give Giovanni's a shot. Thanks.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:08 PM
PricePkPatch

If you ever are in Longueuil and feel like a great Pizza, order from Miss Italia. In curse the day I moved in Montreal, since I haven't found a pizza that great ever since.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
If you ever are in Longueuil and feel like a great Pizza, order from Miss Italia. In curse the day I moved in Montreal, since I haven't found a pizza that great ever since.
Most importantly, does she make the delivery?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:14 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Most importantly, does she make the delivery?
She does, but it's relativey greasy, so I'd suggest you stick to the pizza XD

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Price4Prez

You guys need to get out more often! And get off this restaurant chain garbage pizza.

Head out to Sapori di Napoli,Napoletana,Alrlequino etc... these are good quality, gourmet pizzas...

As for Toronto, and good pizza.....your pretty much out of luck lol

Price4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

ok so everyone has an idea of what "montreal" and "NYC", etc pizzas are here are a few pics and descriptions from experience (except for italian authentic those are a friends descriptions that lived in italy for 2 years)

Also need to point out that we're not refering to 99 cent pizzas or chain resto pizzas

Montreal style pizza
Couple of things distinguish them.
The pizza sauce usually will have a more anise, fennel sweeter taste.
The pepperoni used is bigger and the coldcut type vs the the smaller spicier type.
All dressed is mushrooms, peppers and pepperoni everywhere.
Alot of time all topings will be under the cheese and in the occasions it's not it's the extras such as meats or veggies.
The crust is neither too thick or too thin.

NYC pizza
Thin crust, often crunchy.
Runny thin sauce. When refering to NYC pizza its mostly cheese or cheese and pepperoni. This is what the teenage mutant ninja turtles eat...but only them. Regular turtles do not like it

Chicago style pizza
Deep dish thick crust, thick layer of toppings and often you'll find sauce on top and in the pizza. Sauce tends be heartier. One slice can be a meal on its own

Traditional "italian" pizza
Dough is more like bread. Usually has more focus on vegetables and less on meat if any. Cheese used depends on region but not usually the stretchy mozzarella.

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Serious HABit

lol @ the Cora's suggestion. GROSS pizza. Most overhyped restaurant I've ever been to. Terrible.

The best pizza I had was at Librettos on Ossington or Terroni's on Queen.

Expensive but actually good.

Pizzaiolio is decent at best and every other slice (momma's) etc is terrible.

Toronto is generally terrible at food though.

Serious HABit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Et le But

All pizza (in North America at least) outside New York sucks.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:21 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Well here's an informed and astute opinion.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:26 PM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsnation11 View Post
Best "drunk" pizza in T.O. is Cora's Pizza on Spadina and Harbour (south of Bloor)

It's $4 a slice but its really 2 huge slices ala Pizza Danny on Mountain and St. Catherine

Enjoy!
Agreed. If you're looking for cheap drunk slices, this is your place. If you're looking for pizza to eat with a fork and knife, look elsewhere.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Clipitar

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Thanks man I will add those to my list.
In terms of traditional Italian pizza, Bottega on St-Zotique is unbeatable in Montreal. They have a unique pizza oven imported from Napoli (if I recall correctly), makes all the difference! Minimalist approach, very few yet perfect ingredients. Napoletana on Dante is probably my 2nd favorite, but it just isn't the same. The ambience is amazing and it's way more casual though.

In terms of "Montreal style" of pizza, Pendeli's on Van Horne is my personal favorite. If you don't mind the extreme greasiness...

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:28 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Strongly disagree. As I posted a little earlier, in Niagara Falls we have a large Italian population and we know pizza. We have a lot of small family run places that make Montreal, NY, authentic Italian, and Chicago style. I'd never step foot into a chain place for pizza, just horrible.

We also have another category we call bakery pizza. There are a lot of Italian bakeries, mostly Calabrese owners who make 24 slice trays of pizza and they are very good, homemade sauces, whatever ingredients you want, usually soft thicker crust.

Anyways I'd put our pizzas up against anyones, they are that good.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:30 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Strongly disagree. As I posted a little earlier, in Niagara Falls we have a large Italian population and we know pizza. We have a lot of small family run places that make Montreal, NY, authentic Italian, and Chicago style. I'd never step foot into a chain place for pizza, just horrible.

We also have another category we call bakery pizza. There are a lot of Italian bakeries, mostly Calabrese owners who make 24 slice trays of pizza and they are very good, homemade sauces, whatever ingredients you want, usually soft thicker crust.

Anyways I'd put our pizzas up against anyones, they are that good.
Too bad the burger and chicken wing scene in montreal is terrible.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:40 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Too bad the burger and chicken wing scene in montreal is terrible.
One of the best things about living close to the border is the chicken wings, in Niagara Falls NY and in Buffalo so ridiculously good!!