HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal style pizza in Toronto?

Old
05-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Le Casque de Mats

vCash: 500
Not a ''Montreal'' style pizza, but Magpie pizzeria in the Mile-End is pretty good. More italian style I guess, and not a 3am drunk pizza though.

Le Casque de Mats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:42 PM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Too bad the burger and chicken wing scene in montreal is terrible.
For burgers in Montreal, head toward Mr Steer and have yourself a rare burger

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:45 PM
HabsSlappy

Living in Windsor we are spoiled with many great Pizza places. Most people who move away from Windsor talk about how they can never find pizza as good as Windsor's.

Capri (my favourite), Naples, Armando's, Koolini's and many more are all very good.

Most of the pizza features shredded pepperoni and locally made cheese which is delicious.

If you are ever in the area you should definitely try it.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
I love MTL style pizza, Chicago and NY style aren't my cup of tea. But the absolute best is traditional Italian.

Man this thread made me hungry.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:52 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
...we're famous for our pizza??

Go to Como`s Pizza on the south shore. Its in La Prairie.

It will change your life.....

IceDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Do Ottawa have pizza that doesn't suck?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:58 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Not sure about pizza, but when I worked the last ottawa comic con, I found a cool kiosk selling real barbecue and jerky and stuff. On talking with the guys I learned there's actually a pretty decent sized barbecue scene in Ottawa.

Really sucks how that's not big here.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Strongly disagree. As I posted a little earlier, in Niagara Falls we have a large Italian population and we know pizza. We have a lot of small family run places that make Montreal, NY, authentic Italian, and Chicago style. I'd never step foot into a chain place for pizza, just horrible.

We also have another category we call bakery pizza. There are a lot of Italian bakeries, mostly Calabrese owners who make 24 slice trays of pizza and they are very good, homemade sauces, whatever ingredients you want, usually soft thicker crust.

Anyways I'd put our pizzas up against anyones, they are that good.
I've had good pizza outside of New York before, but so far every city I've been to (I've never been to Chicago) it's been the exception, not the rule. There's a few places in Montreal where the Pizza is good, perhaps not great except for one speciality pizza that was amazing, I completely forget what it's called or where it is though.

Usually I'm a proponent of Montreal style anything, give me Montreal style bagels over New York any day. But pizza, no, sorry.

Here in DC it's mostly mediocre at best, a couple decent places. Never had pizza in Niagara.

Outside of North America, besides Italy of course the best pizza I've had is in Buenos Aires, which makes sense when you consider how many Italians are in Argentina. It's a bit like Chicago style though.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:10 PM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

There is a Montreal style pizza ?

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
ok so everyone has an idea of what "montreal" and "NYC", etc pizzas are here are a few pics and descriptions from experience (except for italian authentic those are a friends descriptions that lived in italy for 2 years)

Also need to point out that we're not refering to 99 cent pizzas or chain resto pizzas

Montreal style pizza

It's just making me so sad that I can't just go out and get me one of those. Maybe Luna's will deliver?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
In terms of traditional Italian pizza, Bottega on St-Zotique is unbeatable in Montreal. They have a unique pizza oven imported from Napoli (if I recall correctly), makes all the difference! Minimalist approach, very few yet perfect ingredients. Napoletana on Dante is probably my 2nd favorite, but it just isn't the same. The ambience is amazing and it's way more casual though.

In terms of "Montreal style" of pizza, Pendeli's on Van Horne is my personal favorite. If you don't mind the extreme greasiness...
It depends of tastes, a lot of people are use to a pepperoni and cheese or an all dressed pizza. They've never tried Prosciutto and Artichokes or other mixes like that. But yes as I said in a previous post when I went to Bottega a while back, in was the best Pizza in Montreal I had ever had

As for Napoletana I just got fed up of waiting an hour outside

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:27 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price4Prez View Post
You guys need to get out more often! And get off this restaurant chain garbage pizza.

Head out to Sapori di Napoli,Napoletana,Alrlequino etc... these are good quality, gourmet pizzas...

As for Toronto, and good pizza.....your pretty much out of luck lol
If we're talking about Casa Napoletana, I can vouch. Their pizzas are delicious.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
If we're talking about Casa Napoletana, I can vouch. Their pizzas are delicious.
It's Pizzeria Napoletana on Dante street

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:23 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bernie Federko View Post
There's no such thing as 'Montreal style pizza'. Unless of course you're referring to the '69 cent' or '99 cent' crap pizza from back in the day...

What's wrong with Momma's, Amato, Pizzaiolo or even Pizza Nova? They all make a fine slice. Better than anything Montreal has to offer!
This is soo wrong I dont even know where to begin.

There are some fine pizza restaurants that still exist and make Pizza in the style that emerged in the early to mid sixties.

Typically, but not necessarily run by greek restauranteurs. These pizzas used the best ingredients and time was taken in the preparation:

The dough was made by hand several times a week - it was a mid crust - not too thin and not too thick.
The sauce made 1-2 times per week was always pre-cooked in order to get depth of flavor and to cut down on the acidity of the tomato.
The pepperoni usually from new milano was cut at an angle in order to increase surface area. Also it was of higher grade than most of today's pepperoni. (less fat content - didnt leave the pizza as greasy)
the veggies - mushroom and green pepper were fresh never from a can.
The cheese - perhaps the biggest indicator of a proper pizza was always "real" mozzarella typically saputo or tre-stella
today more than half of the pizzas consumed or made with pizza topping. (not real mozz)

Places where you can still get real Montreal style pizza:

Pendeli's (not sure if its still open)
Miss Jean-Talon
B&M
Como
Mirage

to name a few
But sadly, they are a rare breed today indeed.

Last edited by AntonCH: 05-08-2012 at 05:33 PM.
AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
This is soo wrong I dont even know where to begin.

There are some fine pizza restaurants that still exist and make Pizza in the style that emerged in the early to mid sixties.

Typically, but not necessarily run by greek restauranteurs. These pizzas used the best ingredients and time was taken in the preparation:

The dough was made by hand several times a week - it was a mid crust - not too thin and not too thick.
The sauce made 1-2 times per week was always pre-cooked in order to get depth of flavor and to cut down on the acidity of the tomato.
The pepperoni usually from new milano was cut at an angle in order to increase surface area. Also it was of higher grade than most of today's pepperoni. (less fat content - didnt leave the pizza as greasy)
the veggies - mushroom and green pepper were fresh never from a can.
The cheese - perhaps the biggest indicator of a proper pizza was always "real" mozzarella typically saputo or tre-stella
today more than half of the pizzas consumed or made with pizza topping. (not real mozz)

Places where you can still get real Montreal style pizza:

Pendeli's (not sure if its still open)
Miss Jean-Talon
B&M
Como
Mirage

to name a few
But sadly, they are a rare breed today indeed.
And again... Luna Pizza on Gouin in Pierrefonds. Saputo, tons of cheese, big pepperoni... the real deal. Plus, it's right across the street from the Twisty Cream.

Old
05-08-2012, 05:48 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
And again... Luna Pizza on Gouin in Pierrefonds. Saputo, tons of cheese, big pepperoni... the real deal. Plus, it's right across the street from the Twisty Cream.
Sorry dude
At best i'll call Luna a Hybrid
my wife orders from there all the time
Pizza topping is not "real" mozz

That being said it is a good pizza - just loses marks for the cheese

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:56 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
I actually really liked those following places

- La Favorita
- La Roma

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:04 PM
dre2112

What about Ouest Antonio's in Chomedy? Love that. Best commercial-type pizza in Montreal (Laval) IMO... not talking about your gourmet wood oven resto pizzas.

I also wouldn't categorize it a Montrael style pizza but it's big, thick, has lots of cheese and I think it's not your standard mozzarella either because it's stringy and still a bit creamy. The meats they use are thicker too.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Riddum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
ok so everyone has an idea of what "montreal" and "NYC", etc pizzas are here are a few pics and descriptions from experience (except for italian authentic those are a friends descriptions that lived in italy for 2 years)

Also need to point out that we're not refering to 99 cent pizzas or chain resto pizzas

Montreal style pizza
Couple of things distinguish them.
The pizza sauce usually will have a more anise, fennel sweeter taste.
The pepperoni used is bigger and the coldcut type vs the the smaller spicier type.
All dressed is mushrooms, peppers and pepperoni everywhere.
Alot of time all topings will be under the cheese and in the occasions it's not it's the extras such as meats or veggies.
The crust is neither too thick or too thin.

NYC pizza
Thin crust, often crunchy.
Runny thin sauce. When refering to NYC pizza its mostly cheese or cheese and pepperoni. This is what the teenage mutant ninja turtles eat...but only them. Regular turtles do not like it

Chicago style pizza
Deep dish thick crust, thick layer of toppings and often you'll find sauce on top and in the pizza. Sauce tends be heartier. One slice can be a meal on its own

Traditional "italian" pizza
Dough is more like bread. Usually has more focus on vegetables and less on meat if any. Cheese used depends on region but not usually the stretchy mozzarella.
Solid post.

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:20 PM
peate
Good grief!

^^They all look pretty damn good to me, but the first one stands out.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Riddum

Has anyone tried Marconi Pizzeria or Martini Pizzeria in Montreal? They both have some solid MTL style Pizza.

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Man...all this talk about pizza has sabotaged my strict diet today: I just ordered some pizza.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Sorry dude
At best i'll call Luna a Hybrid
my wife orders from there all the time
Pizza topping is not "real" mozz

That being said it is a good pizza - just loses marks for the cheese
They've been through many owners but the pizza's always been good. And they ALWAYS used Saputo.

Have they changed the recipe? I haven't been there in about two years. Please tell me that they haven't changed everything because that would just break my heart.

Old
05-08-2012, 08:00 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

how can other cities fail so hard at food. it's really not hard to make delicious ****. you'd think pizza was rocket science with how bad people make it on a consistant level.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
how can other cities fail so hard at food. it's really not hard to make delicious ****. you'd think pizza was rocket science with how bad people make it on a consistant level.
People run pizza joints to make money. And to make money they cheap out on the ingredients. It's that simple.