HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal style pizza in Toronto?

Old
05-08-2012, 08:22 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

vCash: 500
it still takes people with bad taste to sustain them. i'm so happy we kick so much ass here.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:35 PM
neopreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I actually really liked those following places

- La Favorita
- La Roma
I would add:
- Prescott
- Ogilvie Pizza (for delivery) --> tons! of cheese

neopreneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
This is soo wrong I dont even know where to begin.

There are some fine pizza restaurants that still exist and make Pizza in the style that emerged in the early to mid sixties.

Typically, but not necessarily run by greek restauranteurs. These pizzas used the best ingredients and time was taken in the preparation:

The dough was made by hand several times a week - it was a mid crust - not too thin and not too thick.
The sauce made 1-2 times per week was always pre-cooked in order to get depth of flavor and to cut down on the acidity of the tomato.
The pepperoni usually from new milano was cut at an angle in order to increase surface area. Also it was of higher grade than most of today's pepperoni. (less fat content - didnt leave the pizza as greasy)
the veggies - mushroom and green pepper were fresh never from a can.
The cheese - perhaps the biggest indicator of a proper pizza was always "real" mozzarella typically saputo or tre-stella
today more than half of the pizzas consumed or made with pizza topping. (not real mozz)

Places where you can still get real Montreal style pizza:

Pendeli's (not sure if its still open)
Miss Jean-Talon
B&M
Como
Mirage

to name a few
But sadly, they are a rare breed today indeed.
Having been brought up in a pizzeria I can vouch for you definition of Montreal pizza. I still make it at home for my children.

The pizza we made in the 60's and 70's closely resembles the one you can get at Elio's who's owner is Avellinese just as we are.

Habnot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
I think the Quebecois pizza with a lot of stuffing and very juicy, is what you are referring to, which can't obviously be found anywhere except in the belle province.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

I decided to have pizza for supper because of this thread. It was a frozen pizza, I put some mozza, tomatoes and sauteed red peppers on it because the toppings out of the factory aren't that tasty.

I used to get the pyrogy pizza from Boston Pizza once in a while, I liked the taste of it. Potatoes, sour cream, bacon, onion and cheese on top of it.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:06 PM
WHY LIE GUY

Live in Ontario now, but anytime we go back home and visit relatives in the south shore we always pick up some extra larges from Jenni's pizza or Miss Italia.

Haven't found anything comparable since moving to Ontario 15 years ago, although I'm sure some places do exist.

WHY LIE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:18 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopreneur View Post
I would add:
- Prescott
- Ogilvie Pizza (for delivery) --> tons! of cheese
Never eaten at those places. Not sure they deliver in Hull anyways. also really like Cheesy Luigi's as well (with the spicy crust..!)

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:50 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

all i read in here was "lots of cheese!!1!11!"...do you people **** the next 2 days after all the cheese you're eating? i made seriously kickass woodburn cooked pizzas for 7 years, classless north american style to italian gourmet eaten with wine, and good pizza is about balance. dryer vege toppings like green peppers under the cheese, things like olives and artichokes and asparagus should go on top of the cheese + pepperoni/meats on top of the cheese. people don't like a little crispy edge pepperoni or bacon? you like soggy ****? things aren't "drying out", juices are going into the rest of the pizza evenly.

you like the entire toppings to slide off in one nasty piece of **** because it's weighed down with 5 kilograms of cheese? there is a different yet proper way to cook every different pizza. the toppings you are putting on should be dictating the order that you are going to be putting it all together, and cook more evenly and properly.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Too bad the burger and chicken wing scene in montreal is terrible.
Never tried Dillalo's burgers ?

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
all i read in here was "lots of cheese!!1!11!"...do you people **** the next 2 days after all the cheese you're eating? i made seriously kickass woodburn cooked pizzas for 7 years, classless north american style to italian gourmet eaten with wine, and good pizza is about balance. dryer vege toppings like green peppers under the cheese, things like olives and artichokes and asparagus should go on top of the cheese + pepperoni/meats on top of the cheese. people don't like a little crispy edge pepperoni or bacon? you like soggy ****? things aren't "drying out", juices are going into the rest of the pizza evenly.

you like the entire toppings to slide off in one nasty piece of **** because it's weighed down with 5 kilograms of cheese? there is a different yet proper way to cook every different pizza. the toppings you are putting on should be dictating the order that you are going to be putting it all together, and cook more evenly and properly.
I've always preferred my pepperoni and bacon on top of the cheese. Although I love a lot of cheese. I've never ordered a pizza from anywhere without asking for extra cheese.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:16 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Never tried Dillalo's burgers ?
Mediocre. The fact that they're so famous is a testament to how sad the burger scene is.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

Quote:
Mediocre. The fact that they're so famous is a testament to how sad the burger scene is.
I pretty much never eat burgers at a restaurant, I've tried a few places, but have never really enjoyed them. Homemade all the way on the barbecue. I have yet to taste a burger in a Montreal restaurant that I like more than my own.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:22 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
I pretty much never eat burgers at a restaurant, I've tried a few places, but have never really enjoyed them. Homemade all the way on the barbecue. I have yet to taste a burger in a Montreal restaurant that I like more than my own.
Yeah, I'll be moving next year and first thing I buy will be a nice Weber grill and I'll build my own smoker. Wings are still something I'd rather have an eat-out option for, though.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:28 AM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

Quote:
Yeah, I'll be moving next year and first thing I buy will be a nice Weber grill and I'll build my own smoker. Wings are still something I'd rather have an eat-out option for, though.
Yeah, I love wings, but haven't really had any good ones in a long time. Also can't go wrong with a grill for one of your first purchases. I love it, I've already gone through a bottle of propane since spring started, even if it hasn't been that warm most of the time.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:31 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Yeah, I love wings, but haven't really had any good ones in a long time. Also can't go wrong with a grill for one of your first purchases. I love it, I've already gone through a bottle of propane since spring started, even if it hasn't been that warm most of the time.
I've been trying out different places recently that got recommended on chowhounds.com. So far the best place for hotwings that I've tried is Hurleys on crescent.

Old
05-09-2012, 06:25 AM

Man it's 7:24 and I'm craving some Amelios pizza. It's expensive though.
I will see if my brother wants some too so we can split the cost and eat it during the Impact game.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:42 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Mr. Steer

Mr. Steer

Mr. Steer

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

For burgers, I always found the ones at Elixor's really good

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
They've been through many owners but the pizza's always been good. And they ALWAYS used Saputo.

Have they changed the recipe? I haven't been there in about two years. Please tell me that they haven't changed everything because that would just break my heart.
Luna's has been awful for years now.
Go to Mama's on St.Charles , it's the old Luna owner's.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:10 AM
BobbyFischer*

For anyone in Chomedey, try a pizza from a little family owned resto called 'Atomic'.

Their pizzas really fill you up and are home made and delicious.

Seriously, I can eat a whole large pizza from double pizza no problem but 2-3 slices MAX from Atomic's pizzas.

I highly recommend the Ham and cheese pizza. They were top quality ingredients, the ham is actually real ham under the cheese, it's sofaking goood.

Anyone else try it?

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Germaine View Post
Luna's has been awful for years now.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It can't be. Please tell me no. They were amazing for so long. When did it change?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Germaine View Post
Go to Mama's on St.Charles , it's the old Luna owner's.
Phew... okay, I'll go there and check it out.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Get yourself a Napoleon. Canadian made and it's awesome. Both next door neighbours and I have one and we all swear by them. Great customer service too.

Make sure you get yourself an infrared grill too. You'll never ever cook a better steak... two minutes a side and it's perfectly seared.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:54 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
For anyone in Chomedey, try a pizza from a little family owned resto called 'Atomic'.

Their pizzas really fill you up and are home made and delicious.

Seriously, I can eat a whole large pizza from double pizza no problem but 2-3 slices MAX from Atomic's pizzas.

I highly recommend the Ham and cheese pizza. They were top quality ingredients, the ham is actually real ham under the cheese, it's sofaking goood.

Anyone else try it?
Tried atomic in the past growing up, unfortuantely, either my memories were better than reality, my taste buds have changed, or they just went downhill.

The pizza dough is way too heavy and after 1 slice you feel like you ate a baby

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Teamwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Do Ottawa have pizza that doesn't suck?
Try out David's pizza, it's probably my favourite in the region.
Colonnade pizza is pretty good too..

Teamwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Well i've been on my low-car diet for almost a year now. I had my cheat yesterday and I took Dillalo's to me it was some of the greatest **** ever ...
But so was Normandie little chocolate sticks

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote