HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Halak trade a calculated decision

Old
06-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Chili

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
are you comparing halak to Luongo and Brodeur ? Halak hasent played a full season yet and he has not even come close to play the same work load as those two. Goalies hot cold streak can change very quickly these days so no one is perfect but as soon are goalies hit a hot streak we put them on another level, theodore,huet,price,halak.....

im not saying halak is a bad goalie. what I am saying is we make the same mistake every time are goalies go on a hot streak and comparing him to patrick roy and talk about how great that goalie is and assume he is destine for greatness. there only one patrick roy.
Not comparing anyone at all, hate comparisons.

You posted that Halak wasn't perfect so I'd like to know who is?

We can pick them all apart if we want to, in my opinion. Don't know what purpose it serves.

Who believes Fleury played well in the playoffs this year? Last year he won the Cup though.

Giguere won the Conn Smythe just a few years ago. How has it gone since?

And on and on.

It's the NHL, there will be highs and lows from game to game, from year to year for all.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:01 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Fair enough another agree to disagree in my books. But all I see in St. Louis is him having to live up to the contract he will receive and being the one of the faces of the franchise. I dont think he will tank by any means but he had a great year this year and will most likely be looked at to do similar next year in a tougher conference in arguably the toughest division (but you cant really judge anything til the season gets going).

As far as the difference between price and halak, wins were the biggest but thats part of the learning curve is finishing. I believe price will be better at it next year especially if he can hit stride early and just keep the ball rolling with being able to consistently play. October is far away. I think the team and price will put confidence in each other so I am hopeful for a quick start.
In my opinion the Added pressure is all on Price. Justifying trading your best player is hard enough. Now think of how hard that will be if his replacement falters and doesn't have immediate success. To me the ramifications could be absolutely devastating. Hopefully Price elevates his game and it's a non issue.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by predz View Post
I think a better comparaison is Theodre. Should we have traded Theo after is goddly season instead of offering him a lengty to expensive contract? I think PG made a smart move.
That would work if every guys were the same.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:06 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by predz View Post
I think a better comparaison is Theodre. Should we have traded Theo after is goddly season instead of offering him a lengty to expensive contract? I think PG made a smart move.
Why do people try to compare halak to past failures. You have zero way of knowing who will be better. Halak is nothing like theo, they are different players playing the same position. The position being about all they have in common.

I think Price will turn out like Jimmy Waite. See how ridiculous an argument that is?

Old
06-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
In my opinion the Added pressure is all on Price. Justifying trading your best player is hard enough. Now think of how hard that will be if his replacement falters and doesn't have immediate success. To me the ramifications could be absolutely devastating. Hopefully Price elevates his game and it's a non issue.
I wouldnt debate there is more pressure on price now but considering what hes already been through I dont think it can get that much worse unless they continuously boo him when he plays well but I cant see the fans being that.... well you never know. What do you think would happen next year if his numbers were similar but he was 20-13-whatever instead of the opposite?
I just think it will be a harder year pressure wise for halak than previously.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:14 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
I wouldnt debate there is more pressure on price now but considering what hes already been through I dont think it can get that much worse unless they continuously boo him when he plays well but I cant see the fans being that.... well you never know. What do you think would happen next year if his numbers were similar but he was 20-13-whatever instead of the opposite?
I just think it will be a harder year pressure wise for halak than previously.
Will just have to agree to disagree. I think halak can relax now knowing even if he isn't near perfect every night he'll still get to play. One so so game here and back comes PRice. He was under tremendous pressure just to try and take over the number 1 spot. Now he is the man and I don't think it will bother him one bit.

Old
06-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Kafka

Sell high, buy low.

Same in hockey. I was hopping to see both goaltenders come back, and expected a higher return for Halak, but still, I think it was the best decision to take. Price as shown how could he could be. I just remember that Nashville game where he faced over 50 shots (60?) and finally lost because his team couldn't score a goal. The guy just needs to find consistency, and I think he will rebound next year.

Halak, because of his size, will hardly manage to start over 60 games season after season.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:19 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
Honestly, I'm surprised people have so little faith in Carey Price. They make it seem like he was terrible last season (0.912%), which isn't true at all. His W-L record was very deceiving, just look at his game log. That whole month of November, he was incredible and post-Olympic break, we could see how he can perform when he's actually trying (0.920%+). Do ppl really think he was suddenly implode/regress next year? Because this kid has so much natural talent and I just don't see it happening, especially after what he went through this season. He learned his lesson and there's NO way that the veterans will let him slack off again next year! LOL.

Price's biggest problem was his lack of work ethic/attitude (has since changed!), NOT his mental state. Yeah, he may also have some mental issues he needs to work on (see emotional breakdowns), but he now has something to prove. His ego won't allow him to fail next season so I'm guessing he'll work really hard this summer to prepare himself.

Yes, there is even more pressure on him but honestly, at this point, he's been through so much, I don't think anything really surprises him anymore. All the attention/pressure is "normal" for him and I respect that he's man enough to face the media like a man regardless of whether he wins or loses the game.

I'm not going to guarantee he'll bring us to the playoffs, but he will DEFINITELY have a better statistical season next year. All the fans want is an honest effort every night because we know he talented he is. It's his chance to cement his own legacy......

Last edited by eightyseven: 06-25-2010 at 12:38 PM.
eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:47 PM
oli500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Not comparing anyone at all, hate comparisons.

You posted that Halak wasn't perfect so I'd like to know who is?

We can pick them all apart if we want to, in my opinion. Don't know what purpose it serves.

Who believes Fleury played well in the playoffs this year? Last year he won the Cup though.

Giguere won the Conn Smythe just a few years ago. How has it gone since?

And on and on.

It's the NHL, there will be highs and lows from game to game, from year to year for all.
thats exactly my point, people fell in love with halak for a outstanding playoff performance. whats not say if we kept him and he gets a new contract and has a few bad games out of the gates, he will be ran out of town like all other goalies we had in the past. We did the same with every single goalie in the past who happen to have a good strech. theodore,huet,price (the year we finished 1st and was voted to the all start the following season). These people were all loved at one point and was the heroe of many and then when they hit rock bottom they were all trashed by fans. Not saying that halak is bad or anything but the same thing could of happen to halak had he stayed and gotten a contract that he wanted.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote