HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reasonable UFA's Montreal should go after on July 1st

Old
06-22-2010, 07:49 AM
BigHabs

vCash: 500
Reasonable UFA's Montreal should go after on July 1st

= my choice
blank = other options

Fowards

Alex Frolov
Colby Armstrong
Chris Higgins
Eric Nystrom
Matt Lombardi - If Pleks not resigned
Manny Malholta
Adam Burish

Defense

Zbynek Michalek
Kurtis Foster
Paul Martin
Johnny Boychuk
Carlo Colaiacovo

Goalies

Martin Biron
Johan Hedberg
Antero Nittymaki
Jose Theodore

Add or Remove who you think should be there for consideration or should not be.

I think we would like to get players for as cheap as possible but with the taxes and everything in Quebec we will have to slighty overpay, to probably get a Michalek or Frolov on to our team.

Last edited by BigHabs: 06-22-2010 at 08:48 AM.
BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

vCash: 1484
I think Michalek will likely sign in Ottawa with his brother.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Jiggernaut

If we could, I'd like Martin on D cause he's a system player.

Lombardi for his speed.

Jiggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:01 AM
TankEller*

We need forwards much more than d-men.

And Higgins brings nothing to the team that we don't already have.

I still say if we let Plekanec go, a pair of Lombardi + Frolov should be considered as our main option... This, or give the world to Kovalchuk. I don't care about his attitude, he's a guy you just can't turn your back to... He's a franchise player, probably the best player to hit UFA status in history.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
Fowards

Alex Frolov
Colby Armstrong
Chris Higgins
Eric Nystrom
Manny Malholta
Adam Burish

Defense

Zbynek Michalek
Kurtis Foster
Paul Martin
Johnny Boychuk
Carlo Colaiacovo

Goalies

Martin Biron
Johan Hedberg
Antero Nittymaki
Jose Theodore

I think we would like to get players for as cheap as possible but with the taxes and everything in Quebec we will have to slighty overpay, to probably get a Michalek or Frolov on to our team.
Frolov will never come cheap, I think somebody will give him 4-5 years at above 5 mil, as the UFA market is not very deep. A team like Calgary that desperately needs skill will go after Kovalchuk, Marleau, Plekanec(If he ends up UFA) and Frolov.

Martin will end up with about what Spacek got if not more, around 4 mil, he's a 2nd pair guy on a top team and 1st pair on a weak team. Michalek will probably end up with 3.2-3.5 for 4-5 years.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
We need forwards much more than d-men.

And Higgins brings nothing to the team that we don't already have.
Higgins has 25 goal skill and plays both ways...I'd sign him cheap for 1 year to push Pouliot and AK IF(and this is a big if) I thought he would be a good citizen off the ice. I think he was moved due to his partying ways by Gainey so unless that's changed you don't touch him.

Old
06-22-2010, 08:06 AM
WestIslander

Fowards

Alex Frolov - Not interested in Russians
Colby Armstrong - Yes, he brings grit and scoring to the mix
Chris Higgins - No, keep him away from Price and this city
Eric Nystrom - Not interested in another European
Matt Lombardi - Yes, local West Islander that is fast and can bring a different dimension to the team
Manny Malholta - One of the best faceoof guy's in the league and I know him personally
Adam Burish - Yes! He can hit, fight, get dirty and even has a smart mouth!

Defense

Zbynek Michalek - No, nothing to bring that we don't already have
Kurtis Foster - Maybe, he has size and hits
Paul Martin - Yes, re-unite him with Gomez and Gionta
Johnny Boychuk - Yes! Grit, size and skill
Carlo Colaiacovo - No, injury prone and washed up a bit

Goalies

Martin Biron - Yes, local kid and skilled, can play up to 30 games with no problems
Johan Hedberg - Too old, almost 36
Antero Nittymaki - No, don't need or like European goalies
Jose Theodore - Never! He cannot come back into this city just like Higgins can't

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:07 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Higgins has 25 goal skill and plays both ways...I'd sign him cheap for 1 year to push Pouliot and AK IF(and this is a big if) I thought he would be a good citizen off the ice. I think he was moved due to his partying ways by Gainey so unless that's changed you don't touch him.
With Carey Price as our #1, we don't need this bum around the team. We've got good leadership, let's not ruin it all.

Oh, and Higgins has fetched the 25 goals mark once... But this time, he would not get #1 PP time off Cammalleri. He's an underachieving bum. You'd think people had their share of scandals two seasons ago, but apparently, some are still asking for more...

Old
06-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

I would have Armstrong and Nystrom at the top of my line.
Depth guys who can play physical.

Both wont be too expensive and depth/grinders we need.

Forget Frolov, he is Kovalev 2.0. Dont need that.
If we dont sign Plekanec, then we need to replace him, which is either via trade or do hard after Marleau (highly unlikely)

Ohh and i think we will sign hedberg or Biron to back-up price. Hedberg was the guy Gainey was gonna bring in via the Hossa trade before it fell apart.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Pascal

Higgins back in Montreal would be great news to the local bars.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:10 AM
neofury*

I know our D would have a decent hole in it if we traded Hammer and didn't sign another D, but damn our top six would look nice if we traded him and signed Plek + Frolov.

If we did that, we could probably roll with 3 scoring lines. Then again, I'm sure Kostitsyn would then be traded if this happened, in order to open up some cap space to sign a D.

Plek = Plek for Center
Frolov >>>> Andrei or Pouliot at this point in their careers and maybe even forever.

4 year deal 4-4.5 million + performance bonus sound fair? Frolov is definitely a player I'd love to see on our team.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Fowards

Colby Armstrong - Yes, he brings grit and scoring to the mix
Chris Higgins - No, keep him away from Price and this city
Matt Lombardi - Yes, local West Islander that is fast and can bring a different dimension to the team
Manny Malholta - One of the best faceoof guy's in the league and I know him personally
Adam Burish - Yes! He can hit, fight, get dirty and even has a smart mouth!

Defense

Zbynek Michalek - No, nothing to bring that we don't already have
Kurtis Foster - Maybe, he has size and hits
Paul Martin - Yes, re-unite him with Gomez and Gionta
Johnny Boychuk - Yes! Grit, size and skill
Carlo Colaiacovo - No, injury prone and washed up a bit

Goalies

Martin Biron - Yes, local kid and skilled, can play up to 30 games with no problems
Johan Hedberg - Too old, almost 36
Jose Theodore - Never! He cannot come back into this city just like Higgins can't

Yep, Nystrom, a european from the state of NY. or maybe your thinking of his Father, Bob, who came to Canada from Sweden at the age of 4 and played all of his hockey in Western Canada then the islanders.

Down with Euros!

Old
06-22-2010, 08:12 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Higgins back in Montreal would be great news to the local bars.
I always knew the economy took a drop because of this bum not going in Montreal's bars anymore.

Old
06-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:

You're a biggot.

As far as your comment on Nittymaki goes, does Halak (a European goalie) rings a bell? And by the way, Nystrom was born in New York. Do your research

Last edited by Darz: 06-22-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: edit insult
Dutchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:15 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I know our D would have a decent hole in it if we traded Hammer and didn't sign another D, but damn our top six would look nice if we traded him and signed Plek + Frolov.

If we did that, we could probably roll with 3 scoring lines. Then again, I'm sure Kostitsyn would then be traded if this happened, in order to open up some cap space to sign a D.

Plek = Plek for Center
Frolov >>>> Andrei or Pouliot at this point in their careers and maybe even forever.

4 year deal 4-4.5 million + performance bonus sound fair? Frolov is definitely a player I'd love to see on our team.
Dealing both Kostitsyns and give their money (add about 500K to make it 4,5M) to Frolov is by far the most realistic and wishable option. Hamrlik might be expensive, he's still a valuable veteran, a top-4 d-man capable of mentoring our young d-men. He's efficient when he's asked to play in his limits and brings versatility.

Both Kostitsyns are head cases, make more money than they should, and don't give enough to this team on the ice. Frolov would be a great improvement on them, both defensively and offensively. Plus he's got major chemestry with Cammalleri.

Old
06-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
Fowards

Alex Frolov
Colby Armstrong
Chris Higgins
Eric Nystrom
Manny Malholta
Adam Burish

Defense

Zbynek Michalek
Kurtis Foster
Paul Martin
Johnny Boychuk
Carlo Colaiacovo

Goalies

Martin Biron
Johan Hedberg
Antero Nittymaki
Jose Theodore

The Habs need to sign Frolov and Burish. Frolov for his skill and size up front and he could re-kindle some magic with Cammalleri and Burish for his size, grit and determination. I would also add Biron or Hedberg to backup Price. The only way we can add defencemen is to get rid of Hamrlik or O'Byrne. Markov, Gill, Gorges, Spacek and Subban aren't going anywhere.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:26 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Dealing both Kostitsyns and give their money (add about 500K to make it 4,5M) to Frolov is by far the most realistic and wishable option. Hamrlik might be expensive, he's still a valuable veteran, a top-4 d-man capable of mentoring our young d-men. He's efficient when he's asked to play in his limits and brings versatility.

Both Kostitsyns are head cases, make more money than they should, and don't give enough to this team on the ice. Frolov would be a great improvement on them, both defensively and offensively. Plus he's got major chemestry with Cammalleri.
Pretending PG dealt them for picks already (Both Kostitsyn's and Hamrlik)

Who would you guys sign? I'd say Plek, Frolov and Volchenkov if it were do-able.

Something like Hamrlik + 4th for Prospect who will never amount to **** sounds fine for a team looking to pick up a pick or two and take on a salary for one season. Something to the effect of "here take Hamrlik and we'll give you this, and take on some of your AHL trash".

Helps our cap etc.

Old
06-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

relax with the Burish talk. he played on an awesome team who won the cup. His hockey skills are sub par and was often a healthy scratch.

Habs stanley cup tough guy love match ala Laraque 2 years ago.

that worked out well.

Old
06-22-2010, 08:38 AM
neofury*

Quote:

But wait, he's Kovalev 2.0

Old
06-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Fowards

but he would fit in so well with our other Europeans... like cammalleri and pacioretty

since when did HFboards become the landing spot for the losing contestants on "are you smarter than a 5th grader"?

Last edited by Miller Time: 06-22-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:43 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
But wait, he's Kovalev 2.0
People have this misconception of Russian players because they listen to guys like Alain Chanteloin, Gaston Therrien, Michel Bergeron and Jean Perron to make up their minds.

Frolov actually is a great two-way guy who was used in a defensive role this winter in LA. He's got great offensive talents and skills you just can't teach to a player. He has size and he's good along the boards.

But don't even try and say it to some people... They'll just plug their ears and sing loudly, to make sure they don't get common sense.

Old
06-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
People have this misconception of Russian players because they listen to guys like Alain Chanteloin, Gaston Therrien, Michel Bergeron and Jean Perron to make up their minds.

Frolov actually is a great two-way guy who was used in a defensive role this winter in LA. He's got great offensive talents and skills you just can't teach to a player. He has size and he's good along the boards.

But don't even try and say it to some people... They'll just plug their ears and sing loudly, to make sure they don't get common sense.

haha, ok. Frolov is a great two way player, explosive blah blah.
Yet he wont be re-signed by a team with a young core and who has the cap space, why is that? Not like he put up numbers for a huge increase.

He was in the dog house all year because of his lack of motivation and effort.
Not to say he isnt a solid player, but why invest 5 mil into a player who has a history of dogging it at times?

The kovalev comparison is in jest. They both happen to be russian, but their on ice performances are similar. Frolov is a better 2 way player, but the comparison begins and end with the fact that both players have been known to disappear for long stretches despite their overwhelming talent.

And that was in LA, he wouldnt last a year in the city with those types of efforts.

Old
06-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
but he would fit in so well with our other Europeans... like cammalleri and pacioretty

since when did HFboards become the landing spot for the losers on "are you smarter than a 5th grader"?
And why wouldn't we be interested in Russians? Which Russian was a bad signing? Markov (#1 D for 4 years) or Kovalev (Top scorer in 05-06 & 08-09)? The only one who didn't pan out in the last years was Samsonov. The other so call "Russian" players that we've had on our rosters weren't from Russia. They are/were from former Russian satellites. That is exactly like stating that Cammalleri is from the US or Koivu is from Sweden .

Dutchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:54 AM
neofury*

Quote:

Yeah they just assume cause he's Russian he's some 5'4" 130lbs dwarf, or that if he is 6'2" 210lbs he plays like a one. They then assume the player is a defensive liability, soft, non-physical and not a team player.

Funny part is I've watched a few of LA's games and Frolov is nothing like this, don't claim to be the Frolov expert or LA Kings expert or anything, but I've seen him play and yeah, he's a good player who knows how to play two ways, could definitely see an improvement in his production on our team imo because he'd be a 1st liner here with Cammalleri.

Old
06-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I have no problem with his style, I just think he'll be out of our price range unless Plekanec walks as he'll cost 5-6 mil on a long term deal IMHO.