HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Heatley to HC Lugano, Switzerland? (Rumor)

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2004, 07:48 AM
Strizzi

vCash: 500
Heatley to HC Lugano, Switzerland? (Rumor)

A Swiss newspaper is reporting that Dany Heatley has signed a contract with the HC Lugano of the Swiss Elite League that would be activated in case of an NHL lockout. It's said that this became possible because of the good relations of Lugano's coach, Larry Huras, with the Heatley family.

More to follow (confirmations of denials)... I for sure would be excited to see him play over here!

Old
05-18-2004, 07:53 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi
A Swiss newspaper is reporting that Dany Heatley has signed a contract with the HC Lugano of the Swiss Elite League that would be activated in case of an NHL lockout. It's said that this became possible because of the good relations of Lugano's coach, Larry Huras, with the Heatley family.

More to follow (confirmations of denials)... I for sure would be excited to see him play over here!
Let me be the first to call bull****.

Old
05-18-2004, 08:07 AM
lonnyB

confirm

i can confirm the rumours, i wouldnt call it bull at all, IF there is a lock out (what seems very possible as of now) there will be a lot of players in Euro leagues, and from the euro leagues you make the most money in Switzerland (Lugano, Bern) and in Russia......

other rumour out of Switzerland is that Martin St. Louis could go to SC Bern (Swiss Champ)

Old
05-18-2004, 09:19 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveiglar
it's linked at eurohockey.net as confirmed, no idea what that means.

Posted 17/5/2004: Dany Heatley (F)
From Atlanta Thrashers (NHL) to HC Lugano
Added By: Dan Sgambelluri, Status: Confirmed
in case of NHL lockout

http://www.eurohockey.net/transfers/

Old
05-18-2004, 10:12 AM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by sveiglar

How about doing a little research before saying something like that...

It's also reported on the 2004 Free Agents list that's stickied at the top of the Trades board.

Los Angeles' Cristobal Huet and Ottawa's Julien Vauclair have also signed to Lugano, under the same agreement, if I'm not mistaken.

Old
05-18-2004, 10:15 AM
markov`

Heatley will burn this league my friends.

Old
05-18-2004, 11:06 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTheHero
My prediction? Player style doesn't fit well, plays too physical stays too long and too often in penalty box, ends up third in scoring with 28 +27.
Or, he just decides not to hit at all and shoot and skate a lot, which would make him a monster in terms of numbers.

Old
05-18-2004, 02:39 PM
VAThrasher

The bigger issue is, how does the signing of one of the league's marquee players at, arguably, the top of his game impact the dynamics of union/league negotiations?

Old
05-18-2004, 02:44 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAThrasher
The bigger issue is, how does the signing of one of the league's marquee players at, arguably, the top of his game impact the dynamics of union/league negotiations?
IT does absolutely nothing. He's not fleeing the NHL, he's making a contingency plan.

Old
05-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Safir*

Oh NO! Please Dany come to the country, where you were born in. Berlin is a nice city and they evem have a good hockey team there. The Eisbären.

Old
05-18-2004, 03:24 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Can't blame him. If I were an NHL'er and there was a lockout, Switzerland would be my first choice to play. The $$ is excellent and who wouldn't want to live in Switzerland.

Old
05-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Mizral

Maybe Sweden, Herby. For the babes

Old
05-18-2004, 08:18 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTheHero
My prediction? Player style doesn't fit well, plays too physical stays too long and too often in penalty box, ends up third in scoring with 28 +27.
What? Heatley is really not that physical at all(I actually think his lack of physicality is a real weakness in his game that needs to be addressed) and his PIM's are well below average in the NHL considering the ice time he gets. He is more of a Euro style player than Kovalchuk.

If he stays healthy he should rip the league apart. As a Thrashers fan I am glad that he is not just going to sit on his ass if there is a lockout. I hope that ESPN makes a deal with some European leagues to show games next year if more players make the leap across the pond.

Next year could be one of the greatest hockey seasons Europe has seen in decades.

Old
05-18-2004, 08:22 PM
X0ssbar

So the players will play in another country for less $$ but won't play in the NHL for less dough? Makes no sense!

Old
05-18-2004, 08:42 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

He gets his NHLPA lockout payment plus his salary in Europe, not a bad deal at all. Plus he keeps the rust off by playing hockey somewhere. If there is not an NHL season I hope as many Thrashers as possible go over to Europe.

Old
05-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Clash*

I also believe that there may be no taxes in Switzerland. I know that's why people like to stick money in the banks there.

Old
05-19-2004, 02:38 AM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
I also believe that there may be no taxes in Switzerland. I know that's why people like to stick money in the banks there.
That's crap. Fairy tales, to say otherwise. We have to pay taxes here like everyone else. Not as much as in Germany for example, but I'm not sure whether it's less than in the US or not.

Old
05-19-2004, 02:51 AM
Tuggy

This is the type of thing that we can A LOT of. Many NHLers will go play in Europe if there is a lockout. BTW Dany will dominate this league

Old
05-19-2004, 03:25 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
People bank there for the bank secrecy laws, not the taxes.

Old
05-19-2004, 08:58 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Dumb question

I thought that Heatley was still under travel restrictions becuase of his reckless driving cause death investigation and wouldn't that affect him playing over seas

Old
05-19-2004, 08:44 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
I wonder which of the NHLers will get injured in Europe playing for peanuts and put their NHL careers at risk? Knees, concussions etc are bound to happen.

Old
05-21-2004, 09:57 AM
Juneemoon

Just thought I'd update this story...according to Heatley's agent on Thursday, they are "entertaining offers" from Swiss teams and nothing has been signed. It hasn't even gotten to the point that he has read a contract. From John Manasso of the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

With the prospect of a labor stoppage appearing more of a serious possibility and the NHLPA encouraging its members to look abroad to play, Thrashers right wing Dany Heatley is entertaining offers to play in Switzerland in the case of a lockout, his agent said on Thursday.

Heatley is coming off the World Championships in Prague in which he was named the tournament's MVP. Among those who have approached Heatley is Lugano of the Swiss League.

"We've been listening to what's available," said Stacey McAlpine, Heatley's representative. "Obviously, Dany's one of those people who wants to be playing hockey come Sept. 15. I guess now is as good a time as any what's available option-wise. That's where we're at. Slowly finding out what's available and listening to different people as to what the options are."

The agent for Thrashers center Randy Robitalle, a restricted free agent, confirmed that he had signed a contract with Lugano, but said if the Thrashers offer him a 10 percent qualifying offer on July 1, the contract is void.

""It's kind of a fallback position," said George Bazos, Robitaille's agent

McAlpine said Heatley, who is in Germany visiting family, had not signed anything and was unsure of a timetable when he might.

McAlpine said the process had not moved along far enough to where he had read any contracts on Heatley's behalf.

"There's no real time line," McAlpine said. "Obviously, we're still hopeful the NHL and NHLPA can resolve their differences. We're not in any rush to agree to anything at this time. There's no sense of urgency. I'd say right now the teams over in Europe are certainly aggressive in contacting some of the players and agents. It's not like we're out there banging on doors. We're finding out what's available. It's more like teams in Europe are banging on our doors."

Closed Thread