Notices

Should the Flames tank next season?

Old
06-22-2010, 12:47 PM
PhoenixDog
Flamer for Life !!!

vCash: 500
Should the Flames tank next season?

Article from the Toronto Sun.. Basically suggest that since the lockout teams who build through the draft are the ones that find success (Chi in 2010 with Toews & Kane, PITS in 2009 with Crosby, Malkin & Fleury, ANA in 2007 with Getzlaf & Perry, CAR in 2006 with Staal & Ward).

Which totally goes against Sutter's mantra of being competitive every year. Sure a team can be competitive and compete for a playoff spot every year, but that means low picks or no picks.

I don't really want to get into should or should the flames not go into a rebuild, but rather what people's thoughts are on the article and is this really the way the new NHL works?

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../14468251.html

PhoenixDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
No, but Sutter really needs to stop dealing our picks away. Tis team can still be competitive, no reason to blow it up just yet.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
No, but Sutter really needs to stop dealing our picks away. Tis team can still be competitive, no reason to blow it up just yet.
He also needs to draft better.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
The premise of "remaining competitive every year" is a major reason why the Flames have not drafted a star player since the mid-1980's.

And it will continue to be a reason why the Flames won't draft another *guaranteed* star player until a season is tanked. Never mind a superstar.

Last edited by Stewie Griffin: 06-22-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: For clarity.
Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:23 PM
flames123

This PhoenixDog guy has been around here before and it doesnt surprise me that he posted an article about the Flames being bad....

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
The premise of "remaining competitive every year" is a major reason why the Flames have not drafted a star player since the mid-1980's.

And it will continue to be a reason why the Flames won't draft another star player until a season is tanked. Never mind a superstar.
Phaneuf. lol

Old
06-22-2010, 01:29 PM
GoFlames

I reserve judgement to see how some of the prospects do from this coming season and a couple years in the future particularly Backlund, Nemisz, Wahl, Cameron and Howse. If we can get 2 or 3 legit top 6 guys then great stuff... the Flames do not need to tank. I think Backlund should be on the team full time as well as a maybe Sutter while depending on trades on D Pelech and maybe Negrin. The cupboard is not bare anymore it will just take a season or two to get a handle on how the future looks.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

Quote:
Phaneuf. lol
Some may say the jury's still out on that. Specifically, the hordes of Flames fans who were calling for his head over his final season & a half with the Flames.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:

And it will continue to be a reason why the Flames won't draft another star player until a season is tanked. Never mind a superstar.
Teams like Detroit and Ottawa have been able to be competitive and draft well for years. So the philosophy of being competitive and poor drafting doesn't fly. The Flames were also mediocre for 7 or 8 years in the late 1990s and early 2000s, yet the team still drafted poorly and still drafts poorly.

It's inexcusable that the team has only drafted one impact player in years, and he was traded in January for a bunch of role players.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Some may say the jury's still out on that. Specifically, the hordes of Flames fans who were calling for his head over his final season & a half with the Flames.
Martin St.Louis?

Edit: Nevermind, apparantly he went undrafted?

Old
06-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

Quote:
Martin St.Louis?
Wasn't drafted. Was signed as UFA.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Jano75

Quote:

And it will continue to be a reason why the Flames won't draft another *guaranteed* star player until a season is tanked. Never mind a superstar.
I realize that it wasn't Sutter who did it, but do the names Tkachuk(sp) and Fata ring a bell? Maybe not, I know I'm trying to forget about them too. I believe that we had the 6th pick both of those years.

Jano75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano75 View Post
I realize that it wasn't Sutter who did it, but do the names Tkachuk(sp) and Fata ring a bell? Maybe not, I know I'm trying to forget about them too. I believe that we had the 6th pick both of those years.
Maybe it's my own defnition of tank, but to me those years were the result of incompetence; I consider tanking finishing bottom two/three in the league.

Old
06-22-2010, 02:40 PM
tfong

Red Wings didn't need to tank

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 06:32 PM
chriss_co

the next couple of yrs dont have any big time solid blue chip prospects like the toews/crosby/ovechkins/halls that we have seen perenially the last few years.. it would be a bad move to tank now... i say stick it out for the next 2 years atleast (we have a good enough team anyways).. then tank it around the 3rd-4th yr and do a complete rebuild

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:03 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
I think there's a lot more teams who have tanked and stayed tanked than there are teams who have tanked and won the Stanley Cup... and even those teams might have stayed in the basement for years. I think the hawks made the playoffs once between 1996 and 2007... I'm a patient guy but that would be unacceptable for me.

In my opinion you shouldn't tank on purpose willy nilly. If it's halfway through the season, you're in the bottom ten and you have good players who aren't performing or working well together, then strategically trade them for picks and tank. But when you miss the playoffs by a few points one year you shouldn't overreact and try again. If that were a good strategy we'd see half the teams in the league do it every offseason.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:48 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
I think there's a lot more teams who have tanked and stayed tanked than there are teams who have tanked and won the Stanley Cup... and even those teams might have stayed in the basement for years. I think the hawks made the playoffs once between 1996 and 2007... I'm a patient guy but that would be unacceptable for me.

In my opinion you shouldn't tank on purpose willy nilly. If it's halfway through the season, you're in the bottom ten and you have good players who aren't performing or working well together, then strategically trade them for picks and tank. But when you miss the playoffs by a few points one year you shouldn't overreact and try again. If that were a good strategy we'd see half the teams in the league do it every offseason.
Thanks for being to voice of reason.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

I find Calgary to be one of those teams in limbo. Are they built to contend or are they looking towards the future? IMO they're not being very convincing of either. I'm not too sure they have the current roster to be anything more than a bottom playoff team in the west. I know they lack higher end draft picks this year(no 1st or 2nd)so it's difficult to build a future that way. They really are an enigma to me

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 04:08 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
The Flames don't need to tank and anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. How well has tanking helped Columbus? Or Florida? Or Atlanta? Hell, Boston was pretty terrible and didn't really get anything good from high picks other than Kessel (who they're already rid of).

The Flames need to draft well but it's hard when Sutter gives out picks like they're candy.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 04:19 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

No, the Flames shouldn't tank next season, nor do they need to.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:37 AM
PhoenixDog
Flamer for Life !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
This PhoenixDog guy has been around here before and it doesnt surprise me that he posted an article about the Flames being bad....
Hey Buddy last time i checked this was an open forum and people are allowed to post//contribute whatever they want as long as it's backed up by a reputable source. For the record I am not anti-flames whereas you ont the other hand are like a blind sheep and can be lead in any direction that managament wants.

Flames don't have a single pick in the first 2 rounds this year, only have 1 pick in the first 90 next yr. Flames scored a league low 204 goals this year and had the 4th worst power play and are 3rd oldest team in the league. All i am saying is this is not the same Flames teams that went to the cup final and maybe it's time that Sutter abandoned the philosphy of trying to be competitive every year or better yet the flames abandon Sutter.

It's just my opinion and i am entitled to it but i feel that in the new NHL (one with a salary cap) teams like washington, pittsburg, chicago and dare i say oilers (Eberle, MPS, Hall, Brule, etc) is the way to go. things must get worse before they get better!

PhoenixDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Flamesfan13

Tank the next season

I really believe the flames should consider tanking the next season. Getting a top 5 draft pick in next years draft could be a step forward of actually being real cup contenders. Any thoughts on the idea??

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:09 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 100
Some fans actually have pride and belief in their team. We're not Oilers fans here.

Last edited by Noori: 06-27-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Flaming - Attack the point, not the poster
tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Flamesfan13

Lol Ok,

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Grannys

No team in any major league in the world ever considers tanking. They are professionals playing on a professional team, that is not how they think and certainly not how they execute.

Sorry to kill your hopes and dreams on that one.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote